ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 27th, 2014, 08:15 AM   #1
BlownWideOpen
ninjette.org guru

Name: Artie

Motorcycle(s): Stuff

Dunlop Roadsmart 2 (Or other SPORT TOURING tires)

Has anyone used these on their machine? I've purchased a 4.5 inch wheel, and do not want a full out supersport tire. So I've decided to check out some sport touring options.

Sizes I'm looking at:

Front: 120/70/17 OR 120/60/17 (On this end, I would not mind a tire that is stock size)

Rear: 160/70/17

Any other recommendations are welcome.

Old August 27th, 2014, 11:50 AM   #2
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
A 160/70 is going to be decently taller than stock. A 130/70 should have a sidewall height of 91mm. A 150/60 is 90mm. The 160/70 is 112mm, which is going to be over 1-5/8" taller in total diameter. A 160/60 is closer, at 96mm (not quite 1/2" taller total).

The change will have some effect on the geometry of the bike, as well as just making sure it fits in the available space. Wider and taller means that you're starting off closer to the swingarm sides, plus moving up toward the frame where it gets narrower.

I can't give you any details on exactly what will or won't fit, or preferred tires. I put a Michelin Pilot Power 150/60 on mine, and so far am happy with it after about 1,500 miles.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***

Last futzed with by InvisiBill; August 27th, 2014 at 01:59 PM. Reason: I math bad.
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 27th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I think this thread is relevant:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...t=rojoracing53

Michelin Pilot Street Radial. Looks like really good mileage and wear out of a sport touring type tire designed for bikes like the ninjette and baby cibber in mind. Also remember, it's a good idea to run a harder compound tire in back and a sticky compound tire in front. These bikes like a sticky front tire because they don't unweight the front as much when you roll on and load the rear. From the mileage jason and others have gotten, you might actually wear out a Pilot Street radial and a super sticky front at the same rate instead of the usual 2 rears for every 1 front.

Jason is a very experienced rider and is generally very sensitive to things like tires and suspension setup. If the hard rear/soft front combo works for him and he's able to explain his logic, it's good enough for me to use with confidence.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2014, 04:33 PM   #4
BlownWideOpen
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
A 160/70 is going to be decently taller than stock. A 130/70 should have a sidewall height of 91mm. A 150/60 is 90mm. The 160/70 is 112mm, which is going to be over 1-5/8" taller in total diameter. A 160/60 is closer, at 96mm (not quite 1/2" taller total).

The change will have some effect on the geometry of the bike, as well as just making sure it fits in the available space. Wider and taller means that you're starting off closer to the swingarm sides, plus moving up toward the frame where it gets narrower.

I can't give you any details on exactly what will or won't fit, or preferred tires. I put a Michelin Pilot Power 150/60 on mine, and so far am happy with it after about 1,500 miles.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still trying tp finalize if I want a 160/60 or 160/70. I was thinking about the 160/70 on my drive home and thought it may be a touch too big.

Old August 27th, 2014, 04:34 PM   #5
BlownWideOpen
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I think this thread is relevant:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...t=rojoracing53

Michelin Pilot Street Radial. Looks like really good mileage and wear out of a sport touring type tire designed for bikes like the ninjette and baby cibber in mind. Also remember, it's a good idea to run a harder compound tire in back and a sticky compound tire in front. These bikes like a sticky front tire because they don't unweight the front as much when you roll on and load the rear. From the mileage jason and others have gotten, you might actually wear out a Pilot Street radial and a super sticky front at the same rate instead of the usual 2 rears for every 1 front.

Jason is a very experienced rider and is generally very sensitive to things like tires and suspension setup. If the hard rear/soft front combo works for him and he's able to explain his logic, it's good enough for me to use with confidence.
Great feedback! Thank you so much