ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old August 27th, 2014, 03:08 AM   #1
vmax
ninjette.org member

Name: max

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

is this normal?

Hi all

Just change full system exhaust for my ninja 250r. Now the story, after changing my full system exhaust my bike seems running hot, i have stick mixture stick needles (overall stock setup). For low, midrange and top is fine, nothing hesitates or else. For information the temp 35 degree all day. I notice this running hot even i ride at night. So my question here...i know shimming helping for our ninja to have problem with low or midrange problem but could make our engine cooler (same with mainjet repalce). So what shoul i do to cooler my engine? Or is tihis normal in my situation?. Thanks
vmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2014, 04:48 AM   #2
micoulisninja
modaholic junkie

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ZX-12R, 2009 ninja 345cc and plenty of others in the past...

some details please !! your bike is carburated or Fuel Injected ?? when you say hot, please provide some figures or at least how much hotter ?? do you know which advance curve map is your bike equipped with ?? any other mods (eg. air filter etc) @Somchai should be the man for your case I believe....

Old August 27th, 2014, 01:12 PM   #3
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

If you didn't adjust your needles/jetting in your carburetors, then it's probably running leaner than it was, which would cause it to run hotter than it was. Do a full jet kit on your carbs and it'll probably cool it down and run better.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2014, 10:47 PM   #4
vmax
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micoulisninja View Post
some details please !! your bike is carburated or Fuel Injected ?? when you say hot, please provide some figures or at least how much hotter ?? do you know which advance curve map is your bike equipped with ?? any other mods (eg. air filter etc) @Somchai should be the man for your case I believe....
Hi,

My bike carburated, and forget I mention beside using full system exhaust I used knn replacement filter. Daily temp here 35 degree C

Old August 28th, 2014, 02:47 AM   #5
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Hi @vmax,

here in LOS we have the same temperature like you, by the way Bali must be a nice and interesting place.
What temperature do you get when you're riding around?
Like @Ralgha already said it could be a lean condition, but another question is, what type of fuel do you use?
My bike has the Leo-Fullsystem, i use 95 ron benzine with a real lean setup, also my ignition is advanced by 5 degrees (what brought the temperature down by around 5 degrees) and also i'm using Motul Motocool.
When i ride around here sometimes at the signals i must wait for 2/3 minutes and then the temp. goes up to 105 degrees with at that moment the fan starting and brings it back to 95 degrees again (all my temps are in Celsius).
With normal riding around (without stop) the water-temperature shows 70 to 75 degrees at my bike.
Maybe it could be also that your bike has bubbles from air in the cooling system?
You should check if there are leaks maybe.
Good luck
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2014, 05:40 AM   #6
micoulisninja
modaholic junkie

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ZX-12R, 2009 ninja 345cc and plenty of others in the past...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmax View Post
Hi,

My bike carburated, and forget I mention beside using full system exhaust I used knn replacement filter. Daily temp here 35 degree C
Well Max, like Roland mentioned you are most probably running lean... all guys with carb models re-jet and fine tune the carbs on dyno and then on the road... Lean mixture will give you high operating temperatures but it is also dangerous for the engine's health and performance... extra heat cannot be dissipated that easily, especially from oil and certain parts reach their limits... I have been through the same situation with FI and ended up with a "baked" piston and "fried" exhaust valves... and even if neither of those had happened, valve seals were almost disintegrated from heat and I would have had a "2-stroker" eventually... there are posts and threads covering fully suggestions on re-jetting and fine tuning the carbs if you look around into the forum...

Old August 28th, 2014, 07:46 AM   #7
vmax
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post
Hi @vmax,

here in LOS we have the same temperature like you, by the way Bali must be a nice and interesting place.
What temperature do you get when you're riding around?
Like @Ralgha already said it could be a lean condition, but another question is, what type of fuel do you use?
My bike has the Leo-Fullsystem, i use 95 ron benzine with a real lean setup, also my ignition is advanced by 5 degrees (what brought the temperature down by around 5 degrees) and also i'm using Motul Motocool.
When i ride around here sometimes at the signals i must wait for 2/3 minutes and then the temp. goes up to 105 degrees with at that moment the fan starting and brings it back to 95 degrees again (all my temps are in Celsius).
With normal riding around (without stop) the water-temperature shows 70 to 75 degrees at my bike.
Maybe it could be also that your bike has bubbles from air in the cooling system?
You should check if there are leaks maybe.
Good luck
Hi Roland,

thanks. I am using 92 Ron (shell). In the past 3 weeks, temp here very hot and the traffic so heavy, daily ride a lot stop n go.

Old August 28th, 2014, 07:50 AM   #8
vmax
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micoulisninja View Post
Well Max, like Roland mentioned you are most probably running lean... all guys with carb models re-jet and fine tune the carbs on dyno and then on the road... Lean mixture will give you high operating temperatures but it is also dangerous for the engine's health and performance... extra heat cannot be dissipated that easily, especially from oil and certain parts reach their limits... I have been through the same situation with FI and ended up with a "baked" piston and "fried" exhaust valves... and even if neither of those had happened, valve seals were almost disintegrated from heat and I would have had a "2-stroker" eventually... there are posts and threads covering fully suggestions on re-jetting and fine tuning the carbs if you look around into the forum...
Hi Nick,

what should i do to cooler my engine. Honestly I don't want to buy a jetkit cause expensive for me. Should I shimm needles or buy a bigger mainjet?

Old August 28th, 2014, 08:02 AM   #9
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

theres no way around it, with an exhaust and intake you need to rejet, you cannot shim the needles enough to fix your problem. If you cant afford a jet kit (which i dont understand, you can afford the exhaust and intake but not some jets?) then either stop riding, or go back to stock, or you will be left without a bike soon enough.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2014, 08:05 AM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
http://jetsrus.com/ & Radio shack for the washers (shims) $6-$12 Jet kit problem solved.

EDIT: Just looked closer... doh the shipping to bali would most likely be as much or more than the jets.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2014, 10:30 AM   #11
micoulisninja
modaholic junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmax View Post
Hi Nick,

what should i do to cooler my engine. Honestly I don't want to buy a jetkit cause expensive for me. Should I shimm needles or buy a bigger mainjet?
well I don't know if it is closer to you but you could check this factory pro jetting kit...
http://www.empiremotoshop.com/shoppingcart.php
they have all kinds of stuff for engine and peripherals...i think it might be cheaper for you to get it from them...
it is critical to rejet... you will get higher performance, lower fuel consumption and will prevent engine damage... the way I see it it will definetely come cheaper to rejet than changing half your engine parts....probably will need shimming needles too but I am not into carbs... try checking the DIY database of the forum, there is plenty of info on that for a guideline to start with...
I wish I could help you more....

other things I can advise you is to try fitting an oil cooler...either a kit for the 250 or universal type or fitting from another bike... won't do wonders but will prevent excessive oil overheating... you will have more oil circulating in the engine because of the cooler and that helps too !! here's a well reviewed suggestion as example...
http://japan.webike.net/products/21178708.html

there are also larger radiators but oil is the major issue...you can also try fitting a manual fan switch so that you can turn it on while at traffic or just idling...
a cooler spark plug could also help a bit but don't overdo it... a NGK CR-9E will do what can be done by a spark plug....

last but not least I would reccomend using "watter-wetter" as coolant, partly undiluted or at least check out its tech-data here...
http://www.redlineoil.com/content/fi...ech%20Info.pdf
and if that is a bit too much to comprehend, try simply this...
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74
good option if that is not available is Valeo protectiv 100...

Old August 28th, 2014, 08:31 PM   #12
vmax
ninjette.org member

Hi,

I think I know the problem is guys, I meet my friend and he had also ninja 250 with full exhuast with FP kit. I talk about my problem is and he give me to test to install FP needles on my bike. And yes....my bike came to normal again (cooler then before). So Maybe I will shimming needles for temporary until I have enough money to buy FP kit.
Appreciated for help guys...cheers