ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 24th, 2014, 10:38 AM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

What would you do with this frame (sliced in two)?

Intending only to buy an engine, I ended up buying another parts bike last week. This one came with the frame cut in two because the previous owner wanted to fit it in a car trunk without taking the swingarm off. He says that the frame was straight though it was salvaged/unregisterable. Seems like a waste of a good racing frame.

Anyway, the cuts look pretty clean and the frame looks good otherwise, so I was wondering if it could still be useful for anything. The cut was in two places where the frame splits under the fuel tank. I know it can't be used on the street and I wouldn't trust welding to hold up to the rigors of the track, but what about a low-speed course training bike with regular inspections? I haven't really looked, but perhaps there's enough room to make reinforcement gussets or a whole extra support tube.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2014, 02:37 PM   #2
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I'd chuck it. I'm an unsafe moron and I wouldn't even use a frame like that for anything. Maybe you could go get an old Briggs & Stratton rototiller and make a minibike out of it.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2014, 02:39 PM   #3
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Make yard furniture out of it.
snot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2014, 04:07 PM   #4
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

It's too bad you aren't closer to NC.. I need the tail end!
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
I'd chuck it. I'm an unsafe moron and I wouldn't even use a frame like that for anything. Maybe you could go get an old Briggs & Stratton rototiller and make a minibike out of it.
Seeing people use chopped-up frames for custom motorcycle-powered ATVs, it can't be THAT bad. MSF doesn't go over 15 miles an hour typically and I cant see it getting stressed significantly even when dropped, which is why I thought it could be perfect for a training bike I use to teach friends/family.

Old August 24th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
Make yard furniture out of it.
That's kinda what it is right now.

Old August 27th, 2014, 09:10 PM   #7
Jim L
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Street:72Bonnie, 68BSA, 94KTMEXC400LC4; Track: CBR600, R6, NS125GP, 61Cotton TelStar; Dirt:MX -3, Trials - 5

Frames can be fixed

Yes, it can be fixed.
Can you post any pictures of the cuts, from all sides?

I'm an A&P mechanic. Aircraft frames are routinely made and tubing is replaced. There is a large body of info on the subject.

For bikes, I have cut, changed, and fabbed all sorts of bits onto and off off bike frames. Dirt bikes are commonly bent from being tossed all about the county side. Old bike restorations are always having damaged/rusted out tube replaced.

Toss up some pictures and let's start some dialogue. There are some really good craftsmen on this site. Bikes are not space ships. When the Brits started the industry, they were soft water pipe easy to bend and all joinery was brazed, which is still the best way to fix bike frames.

Just my opinions... let begin.
Cheers,
Jim L is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 28th, 2014, 07:35 AM   #8
micoulisninja
modaholic junkie

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ZX-12R, 2009 ninja 345cc and plenty of others in the past...

yeah, we even do that here in Greece for years in all kinds of steel tubed bikes... it's common practice for restoring and on track bikes after insurance has approved for scrap... you should give it a try...

Old August 28th, 2014, 01:40 PM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim L View Post
Yes, it can be fixed.
Can you post any pictures of the cuts, from all sides?

I'm an A&P mechanic. Aircraft frames are routinely made and tubing is replaced. There is a large body of info on the subject.

For bikes, I have cut, changed, and fabbed all sorts of bits onto and off off bike frames. Dirt bikes are commonly bent from being tossed all about the county side. Old bike restorations are always having damaged/rusted out tube replaced.

Toss up some pictures and let's start some dialogue. There are some really good craftsmen on this site. Bikes are not space ships. When the Brits started the industry, they were soft water pipe easy to bend and all joinery was brazed, which is still the best way to fix bike frames.

Just my opinions... let begin.
Cheers,
Well, here's the pic but now I suspect that the seller intended to conceal the frame number by chopping that part off (it's not readable). Now I don't want anything to do with it.

I wasn't ever intending to buy the frame or title. He offered me the rest of the parts when I first showed up to buy the engine. I haven't checked the engine number yet (at work).

Can I get the VIN from the engine number?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PicsArt_1409256464880.jpg (80.3 KB, 9 views)

Last futzed with by CZroe; August 28th, 2014 at 03:47 PM.

Old August 28th, 2014, 03:20 PM   #10
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

I mean, I would chuck it.... You're probably right, it would be fine at low stress... but no... It's an unnecessary risk. I'd just take the parts of the bike and call it a day.

Old August 28th, 2014, 04:56 PM   #11
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

The VIN is stamped on the steering head tube. He cut that off? Frame can be put back together by sleeving the tubes together.

Engine number cannot be traced back to the the VIN, AFAIK.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 28th, 2014, 05:40 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the frame is a1018 soft steel. as others said, you would jig up the swingarm mounts, the head stock, and the engine mounts and then put some inner sleaves in the tubes and weld them back together with some 75ksi.

they cut them apart like this to make it harder to track where they were stolen from. they are actually two halves of two or more separate bikes. you wont find any numbers on anything.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 28th, 2014, 07:30 PM   #13
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
The VIN is stamped on the steering head tube. He cut that off? Frame can be put back together by sleeving the tubes together.

Engine number cannot be traced back to the the VIN, AFAIK.
I believe that's what he was attempting to do when he made the cuts you see in the pic, but then he gave up and left the upper fairing stay and portion of the frame dangling by the wiring harness. The VIN is obscurred by something like painted glue which I will attempt to remove.

That puts everything else in a different light. THAT's why the bike had no bodywork (original owner can't ID). THAT's why he "didn't have the time" to list the rest of the bike on Craigslist. That's why he was so quick to just cut up a good frame. That's also why he made sure it went straight from his Jeep and into my trunk where I couldn't see the VIN. If I only bought the engine as I originally intended then I would be blissfully unaware.

Old August 28th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #14
Jim L
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Street:72Bonnie, 68BSA, 94KTMEXC400LC4; Track: CBR600, R6, NS125GP, 61Cotton TelStar; Dirt:MX -3, Trials - 5

It's do-able...

That is not a hard fix.
First, jig as above, then,

Anyone that understands the following and can braze, can do it:
1- Inner tube, prefer DOM .125in, held in place by multiple hole brazes from the outer tube.
2- Braze the original cut back together
2- Fish mouth doubler around the outer section where the cut was

It will be stronger than the original tube. You should probalbly pick up less than 5 lbs.

And would make a nice track bike.

Hope this helps,
Just go do it...
Jim L is offline   Reply With Quote