ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 6th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #1
Advincula
New Rider

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

15,000 mile maintenance/inspection

Hey all,

I've just hit my 15,000 mile mark on the bike, with 5,000 of those miles being ridden by me! Since it's maintenance time, I've been searching for a good place and price.

I'm not too keen on taking it to a dealership/shop (I'd rather do it myself), but I have neither the time or experience to be inspecting everything on the bike. I've already looked at some of the DIY's on Tech Talk here, and that just reinforces the fact. Plus, I don't want to put everything back together and realize I have some "spare" parts left over.

I was quoted 950.00 by a guy from RideNow. I think that's steep, but he was explaining about packing bearings and adjusting the valves, and how it takes a lot of time.

Advice? Thanks

Old June 6th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #2
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Well, I don't know what packing bearings is, so I can't say anything about it.
I don't know about the prices in the US, so that's also something I cannot comment.

Concerning the rest, service manual covers all points you should check at certain mileage. Most of it are checks, and most likely everything will check out ok. Furthermore, most of it are repeats from the previous service interval, so by following it you make sure nothing was left unatended by the owner before you.

If you're going to do it yourself, you will need a garage. You will also need stands, and at least some basic tools. If you have a lot of time, and if you have some more experienced friends, try to do it yourself. You will get to know your bike better (at least in the basics), and that's certainly something to aim for. That "black box" feeling is actually pretty bad.

I'd say that for valve clearance check you will do well to plan 2 days, and 2 more days for other work. The more time you have, the better, because it will make it more fun and much less stressful than having a deadline looming over your head.
Note that valve clearance check is a bit easier than adjustment, as you can't really go wrong there - nothing "critical" has to be removed. Adjustment is slightly different story, but I'm sure you looked over the diys and videos available.

In any case, by at least checking, you will know what work has to be done, and you will be able to evaluate the work done by the mechanic if you decide to hire one.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2013, 11:07 PM   #3
Advincula
New Rider

That's actually pretty good advice. I usually do the basic maintenance myself (chain lube, oil change, fluids check) but i've never had to do a full inspection. I've been looking closer at the DIY's and I might be able to do it slowly.

Thanks for your advice!

Old June 7th, 2013, 05:55 AM   #4
tubarney
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2010 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advincula View Post
That's actually pretty good advice. I usually do the basic maintenance myself (chain lube, oil change, fluids check) but i've never had to do a full inspection. I've been looking closer at the DIY's and I might be able to do it slowly.

Thanks for your advice!
$950 for a service. Thats expensive, even for Australian standards. Most you should pay is $600. Also, tell him to pack those bearings up his a**.

If you need help with your service, there's plenty of people on here that can help you, like me for one.
tubarney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2013, 06:03 AM   #5
tubarney
ninjette.org sage

With pulling the bike apart. Its pretty hard to have parts left over when you can just look at something like this.

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oem-p.../owner-s-tools

Old June 7th, 2013, 06:13 AM   #6
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Personally, I plan on paying a shop to do the major items, like the valve check/adjustment. I have a quote for $200 for just that. For me, the cost is worth the time. $200 is well worth an entire weekend of frustration. I enjoy cranking wrenches, but not for something like that.

All the other stuff, you could probably do yourself with limited time commitment.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #7
tubarney
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
Personally, I plan on paying a shop to do the major items, like the valve check/adjustment. I have a quote for $200 for just that. For me, the cost is worth the time. $200 is well worth an entire weekend of frustration. I enjoy cranking wrenches, but not for something like that.

All the other stuff, you could probably do yourself with limited time commitment.
$200 is a good price for a valve adjustment..

Old June 7th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #8
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #9
Advincula
New Rider

Thanks everyone for your input! It helps alot to get the different perspectives. I'm real new to the gearhead aspect of riding, so I have no idea how much something costs till I'm knee deep in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubarney View Post
$950 for a service. Thats expensive, even for Australian standards. Most you should pay is $600. Also, tell him to pack those bearings up his a**.

If you need help with your service, there's plenty of people on here that can help you, like me for one.
Haha I'll be sure to tell him that! I'll definitely ask you if I come up against anything I can't google or that isn't already a DIY on here.

I think the valve inspection/adjustment is probably the only thing out of the 15k list that I'll need help with.

Thank you all again; I truly appreciate the experienced perspectives!

Old June 8th, 2013, 06:50 AM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
.........I think the valve inspection/adjustment is probably the only thing out of the 15k list that I'll need help with.
The wheel bearings are sealed for life, so no re-packing there.
Only the sprocket bearing needs some cleaning and greasing.

The reality of owning a motorcycle is that you either pay for expensive service work for years to come (and maybe towing services) or you learn and create the conditions to do it yourself.

Conditions are a flat clean illuminated place to work, tools, stands, time, etc.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #11
Advincula
New Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
The reality of owning a motorcycle is that you either pay for expensive service work for years to come (and maybe towing services) or you learn and create the conditions to do it yourself.

Conditions are a flat clean illuminated place to work, tools, stands, time, etc.
Well said. I've just cleared an area in the garage to work on it. Rear stand, spools, lube/fluids and a new tool set is waiting for me when I get off work! Hopefully I can get alot of this done by the end of the weekend haha.

Thanks again!

Old June 14th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #12
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Hey josh if you need help let me know I live right next to luke air base. I have all the tools we need and I have done a few valve jobs.

Old June 14th, 2013, 06:24 AM   #13
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Thumbs up

The service does not have to happen all at once you know. Chip away at the to-do list at your leisure.

Old September 5th, 2014, 08:25 AM   #14
Norway
ninjette.org member

Name: S n 0 r r £
Location: Stjoerdal, Norway (San Diego, CA, USA, 2015-2016 , Bielefeld, Nordrhein Westfalen,Germany 2021-'22)

Motorcycle(s): TMZ 5.952 "Tula" 200, Ninja 250 -Special ed. '11, ZZR 1400 (ZX14), Honda CB 1100 F Super Bol D'or

Quote:
Hey all,

I've just hit my 15,000 mile mark on the bike, with 5,000 of those miles being ridden by me! Since it's maintenance time, I've been searching for a good place and price.

I'm not too keen on taking it to a dealership/shop (I'd rather do it myself), but I have neither the time or experience to be inspecting everything on the bike. I've already looked at some of the DIY's on Tech Talk here, and that just reinforces the fact. Plus, I don't want to put everything back together and realize I have some "spare" parts left over.

I was quoted 950.00 by a guy from RideNow. I think that's steep, but he was explaining about packing bearings and adjusting the valves, and how it takes a lot of time.

Advice? Thanks
Hi

I called a workshop here in Norway (Scandinavia) today. The 24 000 km service was offered for 7000 - 7500 NOK, or 1120 to 1200 USD.
This will include valve control and adjustment (if needed). They
expect 6 hours of work.
Is that about the expected number of hours for such a service?
Thanks, and best regards
Norway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2014, 09:50 AM   #15
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Quote:

Thanks for your advice!
I've done stupid amounts of research on valves, I own both the owner's manual and service manual, it is VERY vague on how to do the valves, also there is not a single video reference video on how to do it for the newgens and to be honest, there isn't even a decent write up either (there is one but imo it's sloppy) I've studied the valves countless times on pregen videos and it's just not the same...

Seriously, don't listen to anyone on here telling you valves are easy and it will just take a day or two, they're simply wrong. It might be easy FOR THEM but not for someone like you or I who have little to no experience. You will have to remove a butt load of stuff, then you have to buy feeler gauges, a micro meter, shims, all that will run you roughly $50, then you have to go into the dirty of actually doing it which is hard as hell and you run a HUGE risk of damaging the engine...

You can get a kawi dealer to do it for $250, honestly... it's the way to go...

Old September 5th, 2014, 09:53 AM   #16
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Just checking that you guys see the OP is from June 2013... Right?

@Norway, sorry I don't have an answer for you, I'm not sure how long a normal service takes to do when it includes checking and adjusting the valves.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2014, 11:31 AM   #17
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norway View Post
Hi

I called a workshop here in Norway (Scandinavia) today. The 24 000 km service was offered for 7000 - 7500 NOK, or 1120 to 1200 USD.
This will include valve control and adjustment (if needed). They
expect 6 hours of work.
Is that about the expected number of hours for such a service?
Thanks, and best regards
Holy cow. Even without knowing what the market is like in Norway, I know that's an exorbitant amount. Shop around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Just checking that you guys see the OP is from June 2013... Right?
meh. I for one appreciate the thread revival instead of starting a new one. Stays on topic
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2014, 11:53 AM   #18
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by broilmebk View Post
meh. I for one appreciate the thread revival instead of starting a new one. Stays on topic
Oh, I agree, but some zombie threads are bumped from the OP being answered when the question was ages ago. I fully support bumping old threads if new questions or information is brought up.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2014, 02:38 AM   #19
Norway
ninjette.org member

Location: Stjoerdal, Norway (San Diego, CA, USA, 2015-2016 , Bielefeld, Nordrhein Westfalen,Germany 2021-'22)

Motorcycle(s): TMZ 5.952 "Tula" 200, Ninja 250 -Special ed. '11, ZZR 1400 (ZX14), Honda CB 1100 F Super Bol D'or

Quote:
Originally Posted by broilmebk View Post
Holy cow. Even without knowing what the market is like in Norway, I know that's an exorbitant amount. Shop around.

The prices for labour are very high, from about 100 to 200 USD an hour, I believe.
I'm curious about the time spent. Is 6 hours reasonable for a 24 000 km service? I guess it could be. (About 15 years ago I had a service on my (then)
ZX 11, including carburator and valve- adjustments. It came close to 7000
NOK ( more than 1000 USD) back then, with parts costing a small fraction
of the total). The ZX 11 was off course a much larger bike, but it might have
been easier to work on. I don't know..)

Anyone that had a similar service to the 250, including valve adjustments, and knows how many hours of work they paid for?
Thanks.

Old September 6th, 2014, 10:54 AM   #20
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2014, 11:24 AM   #21
rgx107
ninjette.org member

Name: Rolf

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Here is a good instruction for a 250R 2008 that I followed when adjusting the valves on the 300
http://www.theyeagergroup.com/2008_n..._clearance.htm
Make sure you catch the seals for the spark plugs and don't drop them down the valve train.

Yes the procedure is quite involved, yes 6 h is not far off if the valves need adjustment and they do all the other checks, change oil, clean air filter, balance throttles etc.

And yes as Danny wrote the risk for the engine is high. But the valve inspection costs are equally prohibitive. I chose to do the maintenance myself.
rgx107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2014, 11:51 AM   #22
Norway
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
I've done stupid amounts of research on valves, I own both the owner's manual and service manual, it is VERY vague on how to do the valves, also there is not a single video reference video on how to do it for the newgens and to be honest, there isn't even a decent write up either (there is one but imo it's sloppy) I've studied the valves countless times on pregen videos and it's just not the same...

Seriously, don't listen to anyone on here telling you valves are easy and it will just take a day or two, they're simply wrong. It might be easy FOR THEM but not for someone like you or I who have little to no experience. You will have to remove a butt load of stuff, then you have to buy feeler gauges, a micro meter, shims, all that will run you roughly $50, then you have to go into the dirty of actually doing it which is hard as hell and you run a HUGE risk of damaging the engine...

Thanks for the information. It seems like valve adjustment is not anything I will do on my own, in the foreseeable future.

Old September 6th, 2014, 12:02 PM   #23
Norway
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgx107 View Post
Here is a good instruction for a 250R 2008 that I followed when adjusting the valves on the 300
http://www.theyeagergroup.com/2008_n..._clearance.htm
Make sure you catch the seals for the spark plugs and don't drop them down the valve train.

Yes the procedure is quite involved, yes 6 h is not far off if the valves need adjustment and they do all the other checks, change oil, clean air filter, balance throttles etc.

And yes as Danny wrote the risk for the engine is high. But the valve inspection costs are equally prohibitive. I chose to do the maintenance myself.
Thanks for the link. If I can get my own tools and a proper place, I might try some time. This time I will let Ride, in Trondheim, do the 24000 km service. From your statements it seems like 6 hours isn't necessarily too much. Thanks.

Old September 16th, 2014, 08:11 AM   #24
Norway
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Thanks for the link. If I can get my own tools and a proper place, I might try some time. This time I will let Ride, in Trondheim, do the 24000 km service. From your statements it seems like 6 hours isn't necessarily too much. Thanks.
Valve inspection was performed. The values can be seen from the attachment.
Price for service: 8105 NOK = 1265 USD.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 8105 NOK.pdf (160.8 KB, 16 views)

Old June 29th, 2017, 06:34 AM   #25
Norway
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Valve inspection was performed. The values can be seen from the attachment.
Price for service: 8105 NOK = 1265 USD.
Now the bike has 42300 km on the odometer. At about 24000 kms the valve inspection was as shown above. A new inspection was skipped at 36000kms.
Would it be too risky not to have the valves checked at the next (42000 km) service, but instead wait for the 48 kkm service?

Would the valves normally be expected to change a lot from 24 kkm to 42 kkm?

I'm in doubth about what to do? The bike is used for commuting, 80 km (50 miles) every day, running at around 7-8000 rpms.

Old June 29th, 2017, 08:42 AM   #26
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post

I've been wrenching bikes for 50 years and the valve adjustment on this little Ninja is a be-ach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2017, 09:48 AM   #27
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

I never did any wrenching before I got my Ninja and I just finished a valve adjustment a few months ago. It looks intimidating and risky (for the engine) when you're reading up on it, but once I got going I found it to be pretty straightforward, and, if you take your time, not risky. The main threats are dropping things into the engine (go slow and don't do that), and getting the camshafts in with the wrong timing (again, take it slow).

Probably the main thing is to allow plenty of time to get it done. If you have any kind of deadline you might find yourself pressured to go faster, thus increasing the chances of making a mistake.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.