ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 20th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #1
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Can you crank a bike without carbs in it?

I'm thinking about picking up a blue 2009 Ninja 250 with unknown number of miles on it. Probably low. It's advertised on C-list for $700, the catch being it was lowsided and trashed the fairing, and then it sat because the owner was afraid to ride it, and the carbs were taken out of the bike to be cleaned but not put back in. The guy says he's moving or something and wants to just get rid of it as he's done riding. Clean title, battery is still good, I'm waiting to hear the other nonsense... I'm in a good position to buy a project bike, esp for this price (I work at a shop and have access to all the tools/equipment I need for anything).

The owner said that his friend took the carburetors out to clean them after the bike had been sitting for awhile, but was deployed overseas and the owner does not have the knowledge or fundage to have the carbs thrown back in (I just did it today and it SUUUUUCKS)

My question is, what happens if you try and crank a bike that doesn't have carburetors in it? What can I do as far as ensuring the highest possibility that the engine is still good other than look at the mileage and judge by the condition of the rest of the bike? I'm not going to sit there and put the carbs back in unless he pays me for my time

The major things I'll be looking for are:
-Fork seals leaking
-Carburetor parts all still there (who knows, when someone says their buddy cleaned them...)
-Tire condition
-Chain and sprockets
-Evidence of a major wreck (bent rearsets, rims, handlebars)
-Any rust in the gas tank
-Presence/condition of engine oil/coolant/brake fluid
-Frame damage
-Condition of hoses/other rubber parts

And obviously, does it stop and turn and go straight smoothly when being pushed.

Things like electrical, cosmetic, minor things bent/broken don't bother me. Is there any other major stuff I should be looking for specifically from a bike that has been sitting for 2-odd years? Basically I don't want to put everything back together and realize that there's something F'ed up in the engine. I'm looking for a project bike, but I don't want to spend more than about $500 on the bike and $300-400 in parts. I realize that's super low, but again, I can do all of the actual work myself including tires, carbs, fork seals, and only expect to pay for parts that are damaged or have been sitting too long to be usable.

Cheers!
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2014, 07:08 PM   #2
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Well, you could do a compression test. Don't need carbs for that, and no damage will be done if you turn the engine over manually.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2014, 07:19 PM   #3
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

A compression test is a good start. Check the oil too. Carbs are not needed to crank the motor.

Old August 22nd, 2014, 12:17 PM   #4
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Hell, go there with $400-500 cash and tell him you will lug it away for that price. He will take it. I promise you he will. He just wants it gone and the $500 will probably help him buy something else he wants like an xbox or airplane ticket, etc.

for $500, you can't go wrong. The seat alone is worth about $60 in good condition, along with the headlight, mirrors, rims, etc. etc. It will easily add up to $500 and you can have a little fun monkeying around with it. Make sure to post pics up of your progress, I like to follow those threads.

Old August 22nd, 2014, 12:47 PM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
well, if you crank it, I'd bet a pretty penny that it won't start.

talk him down to $500 if possible. No running and needs work? That's about the most I'd pay. Good luck! I hope this bike is a diamond in the rough for you!!! I've debated doing a project bike myself but I already have too many motorcycle and bicycle parts sitting around.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2014, 04:37 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
My question is, what happens if you try and crank a bike that doesn't have carburetors in it?..........
The crankshaft rotates, which rotates the camshafts, which open and close the valves, which allow air (there will not be explosion or combustion) in and out the combustion chamber.

In the meanwhile, the oil pump will make oil reach all the critical points of high friction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
.......What can I do as far as ensuring the highest possibility that the engine is still good?
No much; unless you do some deep surgery, cleaning and measurements.

Here is how-to test leakage of the rings and of the valves in separate steps:
http://www.dansmc.com/compression_test.htm

http://www.dansmc.com/leakdown.htm
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2014, 04:47 PM   #7
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
No problem cranking engine with no carbs.

You can certainly check compression with no carbs (essentially more-than-wide-open throttle), but reading will be different than that of a warmed-up engine.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.