ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old July 25th, 2018, 04:42 PM   #1
Andy87
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Opinions on an Air Vest

Hello all, I'm looking for any advice or opinions on Air Vest. There's a few different brands, they all look similar. Just looking for recommendations or anyone that has experience with one.
Andy87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2018, 08:59 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I do.

You're correct in one sense, but not entirely. All air vests as far as I know operate in the same way (I'm not counting the integrated systems from A* and Dainese). You have a tether clipped to the bike, and if you crash the lanyard yanks a trigger and fires a big CO2 cartridge. Basically the exact same mechanism that's been used for airline life vests for decades.

Where you're a bit off base is the design of the vests. There's considerable variability there.

There are two leading manufacturers, Helite and Hit-Air. Hit-Air is somewhat less expensive. It has provision for armor inserts which (I think) are optional and sit between the airbag and your body. The Helite vests have what they call a "turtle armor" concept, which places armor outside of the airbag.

Both manufacturers have street vests and track-oriented vests. Here, Helite is the clear leader. Their track vest is very slick and absolutely disappears when on the bike. This vest, the GP-Air, has a leather shell. All others, including the Hit-Air track vest, are textile.

Since I own a Helite, I know that repacking is super-easy. I don't know about Hit-Air.

The track vests are different from the street versions because you're in a tuck all the time. The street vests, with the bulky canister hanging off the front, get in the way, so they're more suited to riding upright (typical Ninjette riding position). The Hit-Air track vest solves this by putting the CO2 canister on the back. My Helite solves it by burying the canister underneath a smooth armor panel on the chest.

Regarding usability: I've commuted wearing my vest, but I find that it makes using a backpack awkward. There's just that bit of extra bulk. If I weren't wearing a pack, I'd wear it all the time. So for commuting, I've reverted to my Level 2 armor insert. (BTW I no longer wear a back protector on the track... the vest, in between its armor panels and the air bag, serves this function.

The photo shows my vest in use. As you can see, this particular version is so low-profile it doesn't impact riding the bike at all.

I got a live demo of the Helite street vest at last year's motorcycle show, and it was impressive as hell. Held my head like a cervical collar and was very confidence-inspiring.

The big question is cost. My vest is, I think, the most expensive one out there. Still cheaper than the integrated systems from A* and Dainese, but not an inconsiderable investment. You have to decide if it's worth it.

"Investment" is the way I look at this. Even a relatively minor injury like a broken collarbone (one of the more common riding injuries) will cost FAR more than the vest.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2018, 04:06 PM   #3
Andy87
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Thanks, I'm leaning towards that vest as well. Another rider at my previous trackday had the street version. It looked a lot better made then some of the other ones I've seen. Plus the Helite's seem to be more available. Time to dust off the Credit Card! Thanks again for the help.
Andy87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2018, 09:41 PM   #4
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy87 View Post
Hello all, I'm looking for any advice or opinions on Air Vest. There's a few different brands, they all look similar. Just looking for recommendations or anyone that has experience with one.
Suggestion. Take-up knitting.

Bill

Old July 27th, 2018, 06:01 AM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Gort, is there any disadvantage to getting the Helite track version and using it on the street?
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2018, 09:34 AM   #6
Burphel
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Bonneville, Ninja 300

I have the Hit-air race vest, and had their street version for a while. I've crashed twice in the race version.

The street version offers considerably more airbag coverage (in particular, it goes all the way down to the tailbone in the back) at the cost of having the CO2 cartridge and tether in the front. For track purposes, I felt like the cartridge was banging my tank a lot, and the tether felt weird, along with being asymmetrical in how far you could go without it firing.

Their race version is a bit smaller - I think of it as being primarily neck protection with a bit of chest/back/ribs. It also puts the cartridge and tether on your back. This gets it out of the way in terms of bike mobility, but it's also a bit of a hassle because I can't clip into it with gloves on. So unless I have a helper, I have to leave a glove on the tank until after I've mounted up. Not a big deal for track days, but for racing it's one more thing to do between last call and making it to the hot pit.

My first crash, the bag didn't go off. To be fair, it was a low speed crash and I never really separated from the bike. We came to a rest with my leg still pinned under it. I've since tightened up the tether a bit, but this is a weak spot that is inherent in any tethered system. One of the Diane$e or A-$tars ones probably would have fired. This crash did burn 2 small holes in the nylon, so I did a test-inflation and it still worked, so I patched up the holes and repacked it. The second crash was actually last Saturday. ~75mph turn 1 lowside trying to pass somebody. Fired and probably saved me a fair amount of discomfort. I'm fairly certain it saved my helmet and maybe a mild concussion. A lot more abrasion damage to the nylon this time, but again the air bladder is still fine (it stayed inflated for like 5min after the crash). I've already sewn it back up. In spite of being one of the faster crashes I would expect on a Ninja, I walked away with nothing more than a bruise on my foot.

Somebody needs to make airbag boots. Actually, it's not that bad an idea if you think about it. You need flexibility there for normal riding, but a lot more bracing and cushioning during a crash. Maybe tied into the sensor on one of the GPS/accelerometer suits?

Old July 27th, 2018, 02:25 PM   #7
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Gort, is there any disadvantage to getting the Helite track version and using it on the street?
Doesn't work that well with a backpack.

Big hole for a race hump (which, being full of foam, makes for good protection in that area).

Cost vs. street version.

Slightly less coverage than street version.

Old July 27th, 2018, 03:38 PM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
OK, thank you. The backpack part doesn't affect me, but the rest seems relevant. I normally put my backpack on the passenger part of the seat if I take one with me.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2018, 04:17 PM   #9
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

I have a Hit-Air Race vest, purchased from Justin at Trackside Parts Club. I know a number of people with the Race and the standard MLC Hit-Air, and all have positive things to say about them.

Between Helite and Hit-Air, once consideration may be track side support. At least on the east coast, you will likely be able to find a vendor selling Hit Air canisters.

I have deployed mine once in a slow low side in the wet, and it did not suffer any damage. Repack was very easy (the biggest issue was getting the dirt and grass off), and I had it ready again two sessions later.

As Burphel said, the rear tether on the race vest is more convenient for tucking in.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2018, 05:22 AM   #10
adouglas
Cat herder

Spare canister in the tool box.

If I get two deployments in a weekend, it's time to go home anyway.

Old August 1st, 2018, 06:46 PM   #11
steiny
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): Zrx1100,ZRX1200, C14, CRF100's,KLX400

I have the Helite Turttle vest ,

I have not tested it yet , I hope I never do ,

After a few times riding you will not know its on ,
steiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2018, 10:06 AM   #12
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Interesting I had no idea these things were CO2 based. I wouldn't have though CO2 had a quick enough reaction time.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2018, 10:12 AM   #13
adouglas
Cat herder

It's a great big cartridge with a fat neck. Deployment time on the Helite is 70 milliseconds, which is faster than you can blink (~100 milliseconds).

Having gotten a live demo... yeah. If you come off the bike, it'll be fully inflated before you hit the ground. It's like getting an instantaneous bear hug.

Old August 2nd, 2018, 09:26 PM   #14
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Oddly, I had a chance to test mine out this past weekend. I own the Helite GP Air Track Vest, so I can't speak on behalf of their other vests.

My incident was a lowside, probably about 50-60MPH in a carousel turn (someone spilled coolant ) The only thing I noticed was that I started on my back and then I think the bike tugged me and flipped me on my front at which point the tether presumably activated the airbag. I did not feel anything when it happened, except that when I got back up I couldn't move my head at all (great stabilization). All that said, I ended up with a broken peg and a lot of dirt, but had no problem reloading and going back out.

This is one thing I do prefer about the Helite vs the Hit-Air, is there is no need to carefully repack the airbag. It's all self contained without worry of folding incorrectly. (I did watch someone else do this once with the Hit-Air Race). The second is it's leather in all the sliding zones. The Hit-Air is, as I understand, largely textile - which while abrasion resistant, may not do as well after multiple incidents.

I also have no issue with the tether in it's location. What took me the longest to get used to was A. remembering to put it on before 1st call. B. remembering to hook the tether up before I got on the bike.

The only con's I have for any vest is it's kind of difficult for me to put them on with my helmet on already, so that took some change. And it's a little difficult to attach the tether with gloves on for me. The only con I have for the Helite is that it is leather, and it covers a lot of area on your body. My suit is perforated, but it is notably warmer at rest with the vest than without. When you're riding on the track, I don't know that I've ever noticed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vest.jpg (115.3 KB, 2 views)
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2018, 09:41 PM   #15
Burphel
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Bonneville, Ninja 300

Repacking a Hit Air isn't rocket surgery. Just stuff it back in, redo the snaps and velcro. Re-cocking the firing pin is mildly tricky, but I'm guessing the Helite uses roughly the same mechanism.

The textile on the Hit Air is Cordura nylon. Similar thickness to the body of my Aerostich suit. It's pretty good textile, but it will have tears after a slide. They can be hand-sewn closed (carefully, of course) or use an adhesive patch. Mine's been crashed in twice, and still holds air even if it's starting to look a bit beat up.

Got 2 more CO2 cannisters and an extra tether in the mail today. Ready for next round!

Old August 3rd, 2018, 02:14 AM   #16
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
The only con's I have for any vest is it's kind of difficult for me to put them on with my helmet on already, so that took some change.
Simple trick: Don't try to put it on as if it were a jacket. Hold it in front of you, opened up and facing away from you, with your hands in the arm holes (from the inside). Raise your arms, flip it over your head, and let the vest slide down your arms. MUCH MUCH easier that way.

But even with that trick, it's easier to put it on and properly close it before you don your helmet.

Old October 1st, 2018, 05:22 PM   #17
Frank06
ninjette.org member

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): many!

Hit-Air street vest here (MLC I think?) - I've had it on 7 different bikes, mostly street but I've also drag raced and done some land speed stuff in it. No problem at all on track days with the Ninja 300. Biggest challenge is remembering to snap it in, lol. It does interfere somewhat with a good LSR tuck but it's really a minor issue. And I imagine it might change airflow over your back when tucked in, but I feel this is a good tradeoff for risk vs. benefit. I might wear a smooth lightweight nylon jacket over mine to smooth it out but wouldn't interfere with deployment. I like the street vest as it provides better coverage. I sprung for the optional padding and no longer have to wear a separate back protector.

Regarding choice of brand, style, etc. I figured anything was better than nothing and I'm getting older. Everything takes longer to heal, lol. The lanyard is easy to move too, generally I can loop it around a handlebar or fork tube or something.
Frank06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2018, 11:57 AM   #18
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

I have to second what Adouglas and @steiny said about the Helite vest. Once its on, you don't even notice its there. The lanyard if adjusted correctly does not hinder you leaning off the bike and the only negative I have found is you must remember to clip it to the lanyard before and disconnect after you ride. After riding with a chest and back protector this is much better.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote