Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 21st, 2011, 10:06 PM   #1
NinjaGirlATL
ninjette.org member

Name: Lauri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

Atlanta Ninja Advice

Hi,
After a lot of research, I am buying a Ninja 250. For a lot of reasons!! But I am hoping there are people on this forum that can help me. I am in Atlanta. I don't have many friends who ride, and I need help. I took my licensing class last summer and have not been on a motorcycle since. Needless to say, I am very rusty and lack confidence. Plus, I know nothing about engines and all that. When I look on Craigslist, there are quite a few for sale at a good price, but I need someone who can go with me, check it out, test drive, etc. Then, I can get it home and practice, build up my confidence and skills, and ideally, join in on some new riders groups, etc.
Anyone around Atlanta who can help?

Thanks in advance. My name is Lauri and I am looking forward to this new adventure!!
NinjaGirlATL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2011, 10:12 PM   #2
kkim

If you can't find anyone in your area to look at a bike, consider having it inspected by a mechanic before you purchase.

welcome to ninjette
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 03:49 AM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Well, my friend in Newnan, GA just bought one off craigslist (a shame he didn't back when I still lived there!) and he's going through all that himself. Bad battery, gummed up carbs, strange problem with the battery/electrical, etc. He's not very mechanically inclined, but he's learning! He, too, would have liked to have had someone with him.

I took my MSF class at the Gene Evans H-D dealership then bought my 250R new several states away (WV) and rode it home with zero previous experience (literally, the first time on the road and only days after the course). It was pretty scary/intimidating, especially getting blown around in the WV/VA mountains and passing what was surely a motorcycle fatality in Atlanta, but now I've got 20K miles of experience and crossed the country. To say I lacked confidence before is a big understatement, but that evaporated after a few days of careful riding. You may want to review the MSF instructions and practice in a parking lot. I'm sure most of it'll come back to you during practice.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:30 AM   #4
tiggen
ninjette.org guru

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2003 250

Lauri, where in town do you live?

I don't know as much about the new gen (I'm assuming you're looking at 2008+ models?). However, there are a fair number of guys who race Ninja 250's (old and new gen) in the area. I'm sure we can answer most questions.

We all hang out here:
www.sportbikeconnection.com

Also, you might want to check out the GA Sportbike forum: http://www.georgiasportbike.com/forum.php
(my bad, thanks wellcraft!)

Last futzed with by tiggen; February 22nd, 2011 at 07:17 AM. Reason: fixed the link
tiggen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 07:00 AM   #5
wellcraft
ninjette.org guru

Name: JR

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggen View Post
Lauri, where in town do you live?

I don't know as much about the new gen (I'm assuming you're looking at 2008+ models?). However, there are a fair number of guys who race Ninja 250's (old and new gen) in the area. I'm sure we can answer most questions.

We all hang out here:
www.sportbikeconnection.com

Also, you might want to check out the GA Sportbike forum:www.gsb.com
The second link you posted is a banks website.
wellcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:55 AM   #6
NinjaGirlATL
ninjette.org member

Thanks Tiggen. I live in the Decatur area. I am currently looking at a 2006. It only has 7500 miles on it, but I am sure that means it sat for a long time. The seller says he put a new battery and had to flush the fuel tank and do "something with the carburator"--but I know nothing so I am not sure what that something is.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:27 AM   #7
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
You can find a very useful checklist for buying a used motorcycle here: Buyer's Checklist. That should help you out some, but your idea of getting a knowledgeable rider to help you out is a great one.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:05 PM   #8
tiggen
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaGirlATL View Post
Thanks Tiggen. I live in the Decatur area. I am currently looking at a 2006. It only has 7500 miles on it, but I am sure that means it sat for a long time. The seller says he put a new battery and had to flush the fuel tank and do "something with the carburator"--but I know nothing so I am not sure what that something is.
Got a link to the ad?

Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:17 PM   #9
NinjaGirlATL
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggen View Post
Got a link to the ad?
It looks like he took the ad down because I said I would be back Thurs. But then last night my stepfather who is in another state, told me to be careful and get on these forums to see if anyone can help me, since he can't. Anyway, the ad didnt say anything except year price and mileage. I should have written down what he said he did to "fix" the bike when he got it from auction.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:54 PM   #10
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
It looks like he took the ad down because I said I would be back Thurs. But then last night my stepfather who is in another state, told me to be careful and get on these forums to see if anyone can help me, since he can't. Anyway, the ad didnt say anything except year price and mileage. I should have written down what he said he did to "fix" the bike when he got it from auction.
Got it from auction, had to fix the bike, not to much info in ad, hmmmm. I'm smelling salvage title here. Be careful!

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 03:04 PM   #11
NinjaGirlATL
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Got it from auction, had to fix the bike, not to much info in ad, hmmmm. I'm smelling salvage title here. Be careful!
I actually asked him that and he said the title was clear. But, I need to look at the paperwork myself to be sure. Thanks!

Old February 22nd, 2011, 03:06 PM   #12
tiggen
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
+1 with the above

There are two kinds of auction, salvage and wholesale. If he got it from a wholesale auction, then there is a good chance that he is a registered dealer in the state of GA. If he got it from salvage he could be anybody.

Salvage auction bikes come from insurance companies that have written them off as a total loss. That said, not all bikes bought from salvage auction are bad (some bikes have nothing more than fairing damage), but buying from salvage auction greatly increases the probability that the bike has been down at speed or in an accident. Also, there is a greater probability that the bike's frame or rims or forks (or all three) is/are bent. It is impossible to tell by looking at a bike that it has a straight frame.

What's your budget if you don't mind my asking?

Old February 22nd, 2011, 03:19 PM   #13
NinjaGirlATL
ninjette.org member

I was looking for under $2000. That is probably the problem, but there a a good number of them at any given point on CL (pre2008.)

Old February 22nd, 2011, 06:01 PM   #14
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Well, my friend in Newnan, GA just bought one off craigslist (a shame he didn't back when I still lived there!) and he's going through all that himself. Bad battery, gummed up carbs, strange problem with the battery/electrical, etc. He's not very mechanically inclined, but he's learning! He, too, would have liked to have had someone with him.

I took my MSF class at the Gene Evans H-D dealership then bought my 250R new several states away (WV) and rode it home with zero previous experience (literally, the first time on the road and only days after the course). It was pretty scary/intimidating, especially getting blown around in the WV/VA mountains and passing what was surely a motorcycle fatality in Atlanta, but now I've got 20K miles of experience and crossed the country. To say I lacked confidence before is a big understatement, but that evaporated after a few days of careful riding. You may want to review the MSF instructions and practice in a parking lot. I'm sure most of it'll come back to you during practice.
WV++++ gotta love our twisty mountain roads haha

Good luck, and I always say if your going to make a big investment you shouldn't really buy second hand unless you can get a warranty!

Old February 22nd, 2011, 06:22 PM   #15
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Honja

Im new here too but have been riding and wrenching for awhile. Shoot me a PM if you need a hand....I live in Va-Hi.
Jojah17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 06:41 PM   #16
KawiRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Derek

Motorcycle(s): '08 and 09 Ninja 250R

If you are looking at a bike and don't know much about it, take a flashlight and a friend who has mechanical skills to examine the bike for leaks and abuse, and possibly test ride it to check for proper shifting or any other mechanical issues. Most riders do take very good care of their bikes, but there are those few.. In the end, it comes to whether or not you feel comfortable on someone else's setup and maintenence. You really have feel out the owner to tell how it was treated. I bought an 08 from someone, and I was told that he did all his own work on it. It looked well and all.. I began working on it and he didn't know a damn thing about what he was doing. The oil filter was installed improperly, the chain tension was WAY too tight, the rear brake line was kinked, the plugs had never been changed, and the list it goes on.. The bike is A-OK now and if it could talk, it would be thanking me for buying her.

A good way to tell if someone has taken care of the bike is if they have all the paperwork associated with ownership, including aftermarket parts receipts, and maintenence reciepts (ie.. oil changes, replaced sprocets, etc..) This can give you dates as to when the maintenence was done. I keep all my reciepts for the bikes, sof I decide to sell, someone can't throw in that "How do I know you've taken care of this?" AND they get the reciepts so if there are warranties, they can be transferred.

A bad sign: If someone pulls out a half faded, wrinkly, folded up title and nothing else.
KawiRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 06:48 PM   #17
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvninja View Post
WV++++ gotta love our twisty mountain roads haha

Good luck, and I always say if your going to make a big investment you shouldn't really buy second hand unless you can get a warranty!
Indeed! Before hitting the road for home, I went to visit my niece and nephew and had to pull over on the side of the road for a car to pass (I didn't know where I was going and I had no signal on my new iPhone 3G to use maps/GPS). I stopped but then had to lean it to the right so that the car could go around a blind curve without moving too far into the other lane and I soon found that erosion left nothing but a ditch between me and the wall of mountain/dirt on my right so I sat there with my right leg dangling free while my handlebar rested against the dirt wall, propping the bike up. Several turns surprised me with gravel in the road and the lanes are notoriously thin due to the expense of widening *into* a mountain (cheaper just to spread gravel on the side for cars to pull over a bit). It was a lot of fun though!

Old February 22nd, 2011, 07:15 PM   #18
NinjaGirlATL
ninjette.org member

Thanks Derek. Excellent points!

Old February 22nd, 2011, 07:29 PM   #19
KawiRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Derek

Motorcycle(s): '08 and 09 Ninja 250R

No problem. Good luck! Let us know if you find anything... You can find you a newer model in Kentucky for your price range easy! I found a 09 Ninja 250R a couple of counties fom me for $1800 a week ago! It only had a crack in the fairing from a driveway drop. I tried to get my friend to jump on that! He punked out. Now, we are going to ride for another season without him! No Mammoth Cave, Red River Gorge, or Deal's Gap trips for him!
KawiRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 07:43 PM   #20
NinjaGirlATL
ninjette.org member

Wow. That is a great price. Timing is working against me a bit. It has been absolutely stunning out here in Atlanta which translates to slightly raised prices. Everyone told me to buy in the fall and I should have listened! Oh well. No way I am waiting, now.

Old February 23rd, 2011, 05:32 AM   #21
tiggen
ninjette.org guru

Lauri, I'll bet you can find a nice old gen for that kind of money around here. Don't hesitate to ask the seller (or us) questions. Derek is right, you can get a good idea of what kind of shape the bike is in by talking to the owner. Listen to how he/she talks about the bike.

Old February 26th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #22
NinjaGirlATL
ninjette.org member

Thanks to everyone for the help/advice. I found a 2006 that is really nice, well-treated, never dropped. Very nice looking. I had it checked by a mechanic and got a thumbs up! The guy is delivering it to me tomorrow morning! Look for a pic soon. Now the fun begins. I have only ever ridden at my MSF class last summer. I have someone coming over tomorrow to help me get reacquainted and I promise not to go on the roads until I feel really confident. So if you're out and about and see a redhead riding in circles in a parking lot, that's me!! (for now)

Old February 26th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #23
kkim

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the help/advice. I found a 2006 that is really nice, well-treated, never dropped. Very nice looking. I had it checked by a mechanic and got a thumbs up! The guy is delivering it to me tomorrow morning! Look for a pic soon. Now the fun begins. I have only ever ridden at my MSF class last summer. I have someone coming over tomorrow to help me get reacquainted and I promise not to go on the roads until I feel really confident. So if you're out and about and see a redhead riding in circles in a parking lot, that's me!! (for now)
Congrats... and smart move getting reacquainted at a safe, comfortable pace. Do yourself a favor and gear up fully while learning in that parking lot. Odds are that if you're going to drop the bike, that's the time it's going to happen. Not wearing proper gear during that period almost guarantees it.

more than half of the ninjette riders have dropped their bikes within the first year of ownership. ATGATT

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25913

Old February 26th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #24
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I recall that Ninja Brewer has recently moved to Georgia. He is mechanically savvy and could probably help you out. You might want to try to contact him on this forum.

Old February 26th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #25
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Congrats! How much did you spend?

Old February 27th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #26
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Lauri, Congratulations. It looks like you made a good choice.

Old February 27th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #27
coolbreeze
ninjette.org sage

Name: darius

Motorcycle(s): 2000 250 sold; 2005 636 sold. BIKELESS IN ATLANTA

NinjaGirlATL, congrats on the new bike. I'm in Decatur as well. I'll be out riding today, but shoot me a PM if you would like to practice before riding.

P.S. I think I replied to your post an another too.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #28
NinjaGirlATL
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by czroe View Post
congrats! How much did you spend?
$1700

Old February 27th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #29
tiggen
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
$1700
Nice

Old February 27th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #30
kkim

ahem...

Old February 27th, 2011, 05:15 PM   #31
NinjaGirlATL
ninjette.org member

Excellent point, kkim!
I will take more pics. Here is one of my son on it today. I don't have any of me yet, or of it alone. I did ride TEN miles today. It was circles around a parking lot, but still!
It is really beautiful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ninja.jpg (94.0 KB, 12 views)

Old February 27th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #32
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
$1700
Sounds like a deal. My buddy on the other side of ATL paid $900 but it doesn't run yet.

Anyway, your post and my mild self-diagnosed OCD or mild self-diagnosed Asberger's Syndrome (I guess it isn't really diagnosed, is it? ) helped me identify a glitch with the way PHPBB reposnds to posts in all caps.

Cool! /nerdout

Old February 28th, 2011, 05:52 AM   #33
coolbreeze
ninjette.org sage

Name: darius

Motorcycle(s): 2000 250 sold; 2005 636 sold. BIKELESS IN ATLANTA

Nice bike. I see the PO swapped the blinkers already. Kind of hard to tell, but did they chop the fender too?
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #34
tiggen
ninjette.org guru

Wow! Looks great!

Old February 28th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #35
NinjaGirlATL
ninjette.org member

I'll take some better pics, then you can tell me! I didnt realize the blinkers were not original. Would love to know what else, if anything is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
Nice bike. I see the PO swapped the blinkers already. Kind of hard to tell, but did they chop the fender too?

Old March 1st, 2011, 10:07 AM   #36
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
I'll take some better pics, then you can tell me! I didnt realize the blinkers were not original. Would love to know what else, if anything is different.
Yep. The previous owner got fed up with the stalky stock signals and it appears that they bought Asian Cycles "flushmount" signals. I just ordered some for my friend.

Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:58 PM   #37
Ninja_Moose
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Congrats on buying the bike! Remember to gear up all of the time and watch out for ATL drivers.
Ninja_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2011, 08:11 PM   #38
NinjaGirlATL
ninjette.org member

I do and I will. So far I havent left my quiet neighborhood. (I'm sure the neighbors are LOVING me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Moose View Post
Congrats on buying the bike! Remember to gear up all of the time and watch out for ATL drivers.

Old March 3rd, 2011, 08:23 PM   #39
caferacer
Caferacer

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Lauri, I live down in Macon but have logged lots of Atlanta ride time...its no different than any other town just bigger. I cannot say enough about getting good gear. It will save you when you really need it. One of my son's took the MSF course a year ago and its just getting back to riding now. He is rusty too. He has been riding my 2008 250R and is building his confidence back little by little.
caferacer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2011, 05:25 AM   #40
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
I'm in Athens. I'd love to ride with you!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote