ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 2nd, 2011, 06:39 PM   #1
tim61
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 78 Ducati 900SD Darmah, 74 Yamaha TA125, 71 Honda CL175 , 78 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport, 09 Kaw 250R, 08 KLR650

415 GP chain conversion

I have been testing a 415 GP chain conversion for the 250 on my race bike. After 2 track days and 2 complete race weekends, the set-up appears pretty bullet proof. The chain has stretched less than 1 full index mark on the chain adjusters. That is about how much stretch I had with a stock chain on one race weekend, so....

It isn't o-ring chain, so I suppose if you wanted to run it on the street you would need to take good care of it and clean/lube it very regularly.

Anyway, one of my sponsors has the sprockets and chains. I don't know if I will get in trouble for posting it here, but this is the link to get them. http://www.aftermarketcycles.com/fea...ocket-set.html
I have no affiliation. Just trying to show you guys where to get some cool unobtanium stuff for your racers!

TimO
tim61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2011, 06:47 PM   #2
kkim

If I had a race bike, I'd be all over this. I've converted all my dirt bike O-ring chains to non O-ring and the difference in the lack of rolling resistance due to drive chain friction makes a significant difference. I clean and lube the chains after every ride.

For street riding, though, I won't be going to a non O-ring chain as I don't give my street bike O-ring chain enough attention as it is.

Thanks for the info, Tim.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2011, 07:31 PM   #3
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

oh man I'm all over this! Whats the weight difference?
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2011, 07:38 PM   #4
tim61
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 78 Ducati 900SD Darmah, 74 Yamaha TA125, 71 Honda CL175 , 78 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport, 09 Kaw 250R, 08 KLR650

I didn't actually weigh the stock one, but if you believe manufacturer claims, it should be around a 3 lb. difference just in the chain alone.

I have to agree, I wouldn't run it on a street bike. But it is too cool on a racer!

TimO

Old May 2nd, 2011, 08:04 PM   #5
tim61
ninjette.org member

I also had a special batch of spacers made for the Woodcraft clip-ons so that you could angle the bars back a bit to get your elbows out of the slipstream. Might be REAL handy in those Willow Springs drafting battles!

http://www.aftermarketcycles.com/fea...pacer-kit.html

The ones in the pictures are the prototypes on my race bike. I am told the production versions will be black anodized to match the bars.

Some guys in our club were experimenting with spacers that relied on the strength of the bolts to carry the load of the bars, but the Woodcraft bars use an interlocking method between the riser and the fork tube clamp, so the only load the bolts have are to hold the 2 pieces together. And lateral load is taken by the interlock. So these spacers have that same interlock, which I think makes them a lot more safe to use.

Again, not very good for street use. The reason the Woodcraft bars have such an odd forward angle is to clear the stock instruments and the black fairing insert. All that is gone on my racer, so I can move the bars anyway I want.

TimO

Old September 5th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #6
Order
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (race), 01 Ninja ZX6R (race), 00 Ninja ZX6R (street), 03 R6 (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexbo View Post
oh man I'm all over this! Whats the weight difference?
You can read about the weight differences on my racing blog: http://www.racingorder.com/2011/09/2...ht-comparison/
Order is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #7
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

interesting... I just got feedback from nemesis on the setup, and his chain stretched nearly an inch... not sure what's going on there, or if I should order the better-quality chain!

Old September 5th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #8
Order
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (race), 01 Ninja ZX6R (race), 00 Ninja ZX6R (street), 03 R6 (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexbo View Post
interesting... I just got feedback from nemesis on the setup, and his chain stretched nearly an inch... not sure what's going on there, or if I should order the better-quality chain!
I have no idea about the Tsubaki, but I know the DID stretches at first some, but I don't believe it's constant. Just be sure not to over tighten!

Old September 6th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #9
Indetrucks
CVMA #69

Name: Christian

Motorcycle(s): 1st Gen SV650 Race Bikes, Ninja 250R Race bike, 05 YZ125, 73 CB350 Cafe Racer

ALL chains will stretch from new.
More noticeable in the non O-ring chains.
You can sometimes expect up to an inch of stretching depending on how hard it was ridden.
Hell, even when you buy a brand new bike, you need to adjust the stock chain after 50 miles or so of riding.
They all stretch quite a bit from new. I don't foresee many more extreme adjustments after the initial run.
But as a rule, always check your chain and adjust as needed before any race weekend or ride for that matter.
CVMA #69
Indetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #10
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indetrucks View Post
ALL chains will stretch from new.
More noticeable in the non O-ring chains.
You can sometimes expect up to an inch of stretching depending on how hard it was ridden.
Hell, even when you buy a brand new bike, you need to adjust the stock chain after 50 miles or so of riding.
They all stretch quite a bit from new. I don't foresee many more extreme adjustments after the initial run.
But as a rule, always check your chain and adjust as needed before any race weekend or ride for that matter.
so you gonna whore now on here too?!? Word.

Old September 6th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #11
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Okay Xtian I'm hoping it won't stretch any more than what I experienced this past weekend. Cuz if it does stretch again iz no bueno. That sucker stretched more than an inch....like the chain was just dangling.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2011, 08:32 AM   #12
Indetrucks
CVMA #69

Name: Christian

Motorcycle(s): 1st Gen SV650 Race Bikes, Ninja 250R Race bike, 05 YZ125, 73 CB350 Cafe Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Okay Xtian I'm hoping it won't stretch any more than what I experienced this past weekend. Cuz if it does stretch again iz no bueno. That sucker stretched more than an inch....like the chain was just dangling.
That does sound extreme but like I said, the non O-ring chains always seem to be way more sloppy and will stretch more. They also don't last anywhere near as long. But that's racing... gotta pay to play.

Just keep an eye on it, I really can't imagine these 250's putting any more stress on these 125 2stroke specific chains.
Interesting to see the diff. between this chain and the DID 515 offered. Too bad you have to buy 2 DID chains because their lenght isn't sufficient.
CVMA #69
Indetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #13
Order
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indetrucks View Post
That does sound extreme but like I said, the non O-ring chains always seem to be way more sloppy and will stretch more. They also don't last anywhere near as long. But that's racing... gotta pay to play.

Just keep an eye on it, I really can't imagine these 250's putting any more stress on these 125 2stroke specific chains.
Interesting to see the diff. between this chain and the DID 515 offered. Too bad you have to buy 2 DID chains because their lenght isn't sufficient.
I do have 106 extra DID links.. I might be willing to part with 14...

Old September 6th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #14
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim61 View Post
I also had a special batch of spacers made for the Woodcraft clip-ons so that you could angle the bars back a bit to get your elbows out of the slipstream. Might be REAL handy in those Willow Springs drafting battles!

http://www.aftermarketcycles.com/fea...pacer-kit.html

The ones in the pictures are the prototypes on my race bike. I am told the production versions will be black anodized to match the bars.

Some guys in our club were experimenting with spacers that relied on the strength of the bolts to carry the load of the bars, but the Woodcraft bars use an interlocking method between the riser and the fork tube clamp, so the only load the bolts have are to hold the 2 pieces together. And lateral load is taken by the interlock. So these spacers have that same interlock, which I think makes them a lot more safe to use.

Again, not very good for street use. The reason the Woodcraft bars have such an odd forward angle is to clear the stock instruments and the black fairing insert. All that is gone on my racer, so I can move the bars anyway I want.

TimO
Those are sweet!
Are you sure they won't work on a street?
WTF am I talking about I pulled my gauges. Dang I like those might try them. Cool stuff.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote