ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 12th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #1
Terere
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Crazy Joe Divola

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Need your opinions. . . ..

In short, I just put a deposit down on a bike from a dealership approximately 60 miles away. I took a riding course (since I've never been on a bike before) and recently got my license.

I plan on riding the bike back home which will include city and highway driving. This will be my first "experience" riding in real-world traffic.

My question is: Is that foolish? Am I over stepping my capabilities? I don't have any friends that ride motorcycles so asking someone to ride it back for me is out of the question.

I'm nervous but confident that I can survive the trek but if anyone can provide some advice or share your "first time" experiences (on a motorcycle!) I would appreciate it.
Terere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Side streets the whole way, stay off the freeway
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I'd see if you can get it delivered. A low-speed riding course may have given you a good grounding in the basic operation of the motorcycle, but riding at highway speeds will be a new and interesting experience. Generally people work up to that, rather than being thrown in the deep end right out of the gate. The challenge does not only involve being able to steer the bike; it requires doing so with enough confidence and capability to deal with all of the silliness of the other vehicles sharing the road with you on that first ride.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #4
ryan.chin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6

Friend of mine was in the exact same situation you were. He rode it home just fine. However, if you don't feel comfortable just take the back roads. Maybe get a cager friend to follow you.

Old October 12th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #5
GearMonkey
ninjette.org guru

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I just did the exact same thing, about 50 miles. I choose to take the back roads for 2 reasons: 1. slower (55 mph), 2. More practice cornering and using the clutch. Just remember what you were taught in your MSF course and don't let cars behind you intimidate you. Get a feel for the friction zone before leaving the parking lot. I felt comfortable after about 10 mins riding. Enjoy it and welcome to the club!

I didn't let the bike warm up enough so it kept stalling at the gas station. I choked it and was letting it warm up and not 2 mins go by and a GSXR pulls up to ask if I'm ok or need a hand.

Edit: as Ryan said a friend with a car is a good idea. My friend drove me to get the bike and I followed him home. He had the GPS so I didn't have to worry about getting lost.
GearMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #6
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Side streets the whole way, stay off the freeway
+1

When I first got my bike, I did some putting around the apartment complex before I took the MSF and I also drive a manual transmission car so the basics came pretty easy. That being said, my first trip out on the street was still quite an experience. You're more exposed than in a car and you'll likely see things differently.

Also depending on the kind of person you are, you might take to it slower or quicker than others. I think I could've probably ridden my bike home from the guy I bought it from but I have a co-worker who recently bought a bike afterwards and he had a much slower learning process and was afraid of just regular street riding. Even now, the highways still scare him and he avoids them like the plague and just rides side roads everywhere. I, on the other hand, jumped onto the highway my first night out just to test it out. It was pretty scary the first couple times to say the least but after a few more times and getting used to the wind and the speed, I now love it. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for your first ride back home though. Get used to the bike around the dealership and then take it slow and easy and make your way home. Remember what you've learned and don't rush and I think you'll be ok.

Old October 12th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #7
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
The only thing I remember from my first few rides was having to baby it during the break in period. Meant I stayed on surface streets since I couldn't go that fast.

I would definitely find some side routes to cruise along on the way home. Even if it takes you further, the less traffic and stress while you get to learn your bike will greatly benefit you as a rider. Plus, those alternate routes tend to be more scenic as they flow with the land vs cut straight through it.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #8
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

If the bike is new, make sure to ask the dealer if the tires have been scrubbed. Otherwise, your first lean might end up being your first crash. Nothing worse than a completely new rider on tires that are slippery.

Old October 12th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #9
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

was in the same situation as you. had a friend ride it home cuz i picked it up during traffic hours
ADoMinGu3z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #10
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Odds are even on the freeway you would be fine, but is it worth the risk? Take it slow ride the side streets and have some one follow you. You will be on the fast track in no time, unless you forget to respect the ride.
Liquidtoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #11
Dragonracer76
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

No friends with a truck?

Old October 13th, 2012, 06:53 AM   #12
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

The quicker you jump into the full-blown riding experience the greater the probability of crashing right away, whether it be from lack of experience riding or lack of experience interacting with traffic. IMHO, it's better to work up to it rather than jump in right at the beginning. If you do decide to ride it home I'd suggest all back roads, and before you leave the dealer's lot you should practice riding around in the parking lot for a hour or two just to give your muscle memory and reflexes some experience before hitting the road. Having a friend in a car will be a great idea for several reasons, such as rescue if something happens to the bike or you, and to act as blocking to keep tailgaters at bay.

Is this a new bike? If so, and it were me, and I was dead-set on riding it home, I'd buy some pre-mangled plastics to put on it so that if I drop it I don't wind up with a bike worth less than what I owe on it. Generally, I recommend that the first bike be a used and pre-wrecked bike paid for in cash, just for that reason.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #13
ninjette.org member

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 03 ninja 250

I picked my bike up in a truck, after I got it running I rode it to the DMV which was a little intimidating. Next day I rode it on the freeway for 8+ miles and promptly got off and took lesser traveled roads to work (50 mile trip).

I think when riding for the first time is to not be too intimidated, being too intimidated really leads to lack of confidence and scared riding. Like the first time you make love, you're so nervous and intimidated you end shortly after you start!

I think if you stay off the freeway you'll be ok, mainly the big thing I had to get used to was the wind... When riding at first a subtle gust felt like a tornado! Remember to grip the tank with your knees and don't squeeze the bageesus out of the bars.
02337 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2012, 08:24 AM   #14
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

When I took my bike home a few days ago I stalled a good number of times at stops haha. It was good fun. After a few hours of practice, I'm riding in the streets like a natural. I did fine at the MSF, I just needed to get adjusted to using my particular bike.

Funny thought: The bike I practiced with in the MSF is the exact same bike I bought (Ninja 250). Only problem was the clutch reacted differently so I had to get adjusted.
SemperFudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2012, 01:43 PM   #15
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

If you have a drive home that has very light traffic, you could have a friend in a car watch your six. I drove my (stick shift) car home like that in a slight drizzle, zig zagging before lights to avoid having to start from a complete stop.

Otherwise, I've asked a couple of dealers, and they all said they would deliver for <= $100.

A lot of people advise to buy used but without another experienced rider to help... it seems rather daunting.

Pros of new:
bike in known good condition (+warranty)
delivery
no cash transaction
paperwork all handled

Pros of used:
save $$ upfront
lower insurance

Cons
paperwork; fun day at the DMV
delivery (do sellers typically agree to deliver?)
unknown condition (do sellers typically agree to a dealer inspection?)
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #16
FrugalNinja250

The way I see the new/used issue:

New: pay lots of fees, bike immediately loses value the moment it leaves dealer's lot, in a year it's worth two grand less than what the final tally was on the contract. If it gets dropped then another grand or two of value just went out the window.

Used: Already a thousand or two less than new, means more money for gear and gas. Only fees: Taxes and title/registration, no assembly, no dealer prep, no document fees, etc. Dropped? If it was already pre-wrecked then the value change is basically zero, and the savings over new was probably at least two, maybe three grand.

When buying new, unless the buyer paid cash the bike is worth less that what's owed, which means if a change in financial status occurs that requires selling the bike the owner will have to come up with the difference between what it sells for and what the loan balance is. In fact, many buyers will not buy a bike that still has a loan outstanding on it because it's too complicated and risky. To sell a bike, the owner will likely have to pay the bike off and get a clear title first.

Old October 13th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #17
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Welcome and yep, take the back streets and think of it as more practice time. Relax and enjoy. If anyone gets too close up your tailpipe, signal and controlled cautious pull-over. Remember to flash your brake lights ever so gently if someone is behind you and you gear down.

Got mine home by renting a trailer. Test was on a KLX140 so the ninja was soooo different!
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #18
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

I know we are way off topic but I think we have covered the pros/cons of your first ride being freeway experience. That in mind, I always buy used vehicles or salvaged title cars, generally newer models. The sellers are generally ok with it going in to the dealer for a full inspection and insurance is the same. Its a buyers market and you can get amazing deals if you are careful.
Liquidtoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #19
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

I worked up really slow and stayed off the freeways for quite a while and then only for brief stints. At first, other vehicles slightly intimidated me. Again, I took it slow and only rode on side roads, on quiet mornings, for a while before jumping in the deep end (commuting to work and freeways).

Me, I'd trailer it.

Jeff

Old October 13th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #20
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
The way I see the new/used issue:

New: pay lots of fees, bike immediately loses value the moment it leaves dealer's lot, in a year it's worth two grand less than what the final tally was on the contract. If it gets dropped then another grand or two of value just went out the window.

Used: Already a thousand or two less than new, means more money for gear and gas. Only fees: Taxes and title/registration, no assembly, no dealer prep, no document fees, etc. Dropped? If it was already pre-wrecked then the value change is basically zero, and the savings over new was probably at least two, maybe three grand.

When buying new, unless the buyer paid cash the bike is worth less that what's owed, which means if a change in financial status occurs that requires selling the bike the owner will have to come up with the difference between what it sells for and what the loan balance is. In fact, many buyers will not buy a bike that still has a loan outstanding on it because it's too complicated and risky. To sell a bike, the owner will likely have to pay the bike off and get a clear title first.
You can take the tired out 50yr old prostitute if you want but I'll go with that young taught 18yr old. She is much more yummy
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #21
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

Quote:
You can take the tired out 50yr old prostitute if you want but I'll go with that young taught 18yr old. She is much more yummy
18 year olds are DELICIOUS...mmmm freshmen...Gotta love college
SemperFudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #22
Z300
Ninja noobie

Name: NOOBIE

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terere View Post
In short, I just put a deposit down on a bike from a dealership approximately 60 miles away. I took a riding course (since I've never been on a bike before) and recently got my license.

I plan on riding the bike back home which will include city and highway driving. This will be my first "experience" riding in real-world traffic.

My question is: Is that foolish? Am I over stepping my capabilities? I don't have any friends that ride motorcycles so asking someone to ride it back for me is out of the question.

I'm nervous but confident that I can survive the trek but if anyone can provide some advice or share your "first time" experiences (on a motorcycle!) I would appreciate it.
don't ride it home!!! its to dangerous for a new person
just get it delivered to your house
Z300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #23
rjones91
Pro Newbie

Name: Shanii

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Honda CBR 250r......2007 Ninja 250R (sold)

When I bought my ninja the mechanic from the dealership rode it home for me as long as I brought him back to the dealership. My second bike was delivered home as well on the back of a truck as I was in my car when I purchased it and they offered to deliver it for free. I wouldn't take a chance getting on the freeway as this is definitely not the place to make any mistakes as most noobs do. If you can as previously mentioned...find a friend to trail behind you and even if you can have one lead you. If none of these options are available, find some back roads as mentioned also and don't worry if folks think you are riding too slow. Your life is more important than worrying about the person with no patience behind you. Good luck.
rjones91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #24
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFudge View Post
18 year olds are DELICIOUS...mmmm freshmen...Gotta love college
Is it bad that this made me chuckle?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #25
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
I figured 18 was a little old for your tastes, Jiggles...

And it's "taut"...

Old October 15th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #26
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

A few options/suggestions.

Avoid freeways, but equally avoid busy side streets. Map a course where your taking streets that are not too busy. When I bought my first bike I went riding with my dad through the twistys...that way I was properly breaking it in also

Have a several friends in cages escort you to keep you safe. One in front, one on the left, one on the right, one behind. But dont hit them

Have the dealer deliver it to your home.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #27
R1Chronicles
Rambling Madman

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): R1 07

Jump on thing and ride it home, if your scared to ride it leave it at the dealership ...

Serious answer, use your head drive smart and it will be one of the fun-est adventures you've had in awhile.

Old November 3rd, 2012, 04:13 PM   #28
Terere
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Crazy Joe Divola

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Thank You Everyone.

I just arrived home with a black 2013 Ninja 300 that I trailered from the dealership. As a new rider, riding 60 miles back would have been daunting, especially through local traffic.

From one noob to another: Know your limitations.

I'm looking to learn a lot more from this board and I'm excited to be a member of a community that looks out for each other.
Terere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2012, 04:28 PM   #29
Phoenix767
ninjette.org member

Name: Fred

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, CRF 250R

Excellent choice... The trailer I mean. Bike not bad either.
Phoenix767 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2012, 04:43 PM   #30
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
A black one?!? PICTURES!!

Very smart choice. Looking forward to your upcoming adventures!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2012, 04:56 PM   #31
Z300
Ninja noobie

Name: NOOBIE

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Good on ya!
Z300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2012, 07:33 PM   #32
ChrisCusi
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 (Black)

How funny that this thread was posted today because I'm facing the exact same scenario, albeit a shorter distance. I'm going to see if the dealer will deliver the bike to my house for a reasonable price. If not, I'll further consider the trailer option or planning the time I pick it up so as to avoid heavy traffic.

I'm glad you got yours home safe. Great advice, thanks.
ChrisCusi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #33
kmcdonald5500
ninjette.org member

Name: Kenny

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

I'm in a similar situation. I'm about to buy my first bike and I'm going to go the new route compared to used just because I fell in love with the new 300. I was getting prepared to ride it home myself (35 miles) because I don't know anyone else who rides and i don't have a truck or trailer. I was going to have my brother follow me home though.

But I mentioned this to the dealer and he said since im buying a new bike they will deliver it for free. I think its better to learn at your own pace on familiar streets before you go out there with crazy drivers.

So thats from one noob to another.
kmcdonald5500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2012, 08:26 AM   #34
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
I think it depends on your confidence and how good the training course was. My training course was great. I think it added up to about 5 full days of riding (all on a 125).

My first ride on my new ninjette (after taking the course) was through busy London streets and then a few hours later I rode 60+ miles home in the dark and rain! I avoided the motorways (that's our version of freeways) the entire journey. My main difficulty wasn't getting used to the new bike or controlling the bike... it was navigating! What should have been a 2 hour ride ended up taking just over 4 hours. I kept getting lost!
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #35
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

yup jiggles pretty much got it all covered, Don't go on the highway. My first highway experience i got boxed in by 3 18 wheelers...if that would have happend after just purchasing the bike im fairly certain somethin bad would have came out of it.

just take the side streets, take it slow, enjoy teh ride and just constantly think of what you're doin and it should be an easy enjoyable ride home.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #36
beerhalffull
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09' Ninja 250R

I'm glad to hear that you and your bike are safe at home.

I bought my 09' used from a friend in LA and had to ride it back to San Diego. It was a daunting idea at first, but I jumped the gun and made it work. He told me he'd be my guide around town to get used to the bike and if I felt confident enough he'd take the training wheels off and let me fly. After a 15 minute cruise around Hollywood I felt fine to do whatever.

It's all about experience and confidence. I had spent the previous year riding a 50cc Honda Ruckus which helped a bit.
beerhalffull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #37
beazy411
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Glad to hear the dealership was able to deliver it for ya. I'd rather spend a little money to make sure it and I got home safe then risk dealing with everyone else and a new bike on the road.

Old November 4th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #38
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

I wouldn't want to do that even with experience. I was not new to riding when I picked up my new ninja, and I rode it home, but thatwas about ten miles away. Don't forget that the new bike is supposed to be broken in, which means no long stretches of freeway (or no freeway at all).

You also have to think about everything else, my first longer ride on the ninjette I was cursing that seat. I do 150 miles a day round trip on it now but that took some getting used to. I wouldn't want to be squirmimg around on an unfamiliar bike trying to get comfortable while in 70+ mph traffic.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2012, 07:21 AM   #39
OddlyOrdinary
ninjette.org member

Name: Asdf

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250

Just figured I'd throw in my experience for anyone who finds this thread with a search. The first time you get on the highway on a motorcycle is really intimidating, the wind pressure on your body makes you feel like you're going twice as fast as your use to. 18 Wheelers look larger than life, and crosswinds can move you around a few feet as gusts hit you.

I had this exact situation, and would suggest to anyone who's never ridden on the highway to take the long way home. I'd try to avoid any side roads that go over 45mph, mainly to prevent the possibility of having someone brake check you before you're ready to do a hard stop. If someone dropped it off at your house you'd probably spend an hour or more just zipping around town, so driving it home for an hour isn't a big deal. Take your time, don't be afraid to pull over if you need to calm down. (I nearly dropped my bike on an uneven pavement at a stoplight the day I got it, huge surge of adrenaline holding it up) Anyway it's much better to be safe and get your bike home in one piece. Have fun!
OddlyOrdinary is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #40
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
^ that is great advice, Jon. Well put.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote