ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 12th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #1
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

I need some opinions.

I'm still not sure whether I will buy a new or used Ninjette.

Let's just assume for instance that I am going to buy a new Ninja. The question is; should I do it ASAP, or wait until winter is over?

Chicago weather is very versatile -- it could start snowing in November for all I know. I figure I could get no more than two months of riding in before I have to store it away for the winter.

Or I could decide to buy one during the winter, but I'm not sure how much cheaper a 250r would be at that time, because it's such a popular bike.
Heed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #2
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

I'll probably be selling my bike soon. Looking to replace it with a supermoto. I'm up in Wisconsin, an hour north of Milwaukee. PM me if you'd be interested. It's already got some great mods on it and I have all the stock parts.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #3
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Used because you never know, you might want to get a different bike sooner than you think.

Especially if you are learning you might drop it...
And why wouldn't you get one? Trust me 2 months of riding is A LOT of gas money saved and a lot of time to put some good mileage on.

Old September 12th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #4
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

These are the best deals in my area

'09 for $3K on the nose - http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/2586185211.html

I'm not sure if it's bad to have the bike on the grass.

By the way, guys, I'm a complete NOOB at buying from private parties. What does it mean when someone says clear title in hand?
Heed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #5
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Uhmmm, yeah, the bike's gonna hurt the grass, not the other way around, lol!

Buy used. Buy a pre-gen. Save money and then start saving it for the next bike you will inevitably want a year or two from now. Then keep the 250 as a fun, economical commuter.

Old September 12th, 2011, 09:12 PM   #6
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post

By the way, guys, I'm a complete NOOB at buying from private parties. What does it mean when someone says clear title in hand?
hasnt been totaled by insurance

Old September 12th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #7
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
Uhmmm, yeah, the bike's gonna hurt the grass, not the other way around, lol!

Buy used. Buy a pre-gen. Save money and then start saving it for the next bike you will inevitably want a year or two from now. Then keep the 250 as a fun, economical commuter.
Why need more then a 250 then unless your frame doesnt fit it.

Old September 12th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #8
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
Why need more then a 250 then unless your frame doesnt fit it.
Because my 600 is more fun than my 250 ever was. But I sure do love commuting from time to time on my wife's TU250!

And yeah, 270 lbs didn't sit so well on the new-gen I had.

Old September 12th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #9
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post

It means the bike doesn't carry a salvage title and that the owner doesn't have a lien on it.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #10
lv250
ninjette.org member

Name: CJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2009 CRF230L, 1998 Honda VT1100c, 1974 Honda XL100, 07 Yamaha Wolverine 350, 06 ArticCat 250

Other factors

New vs Old...

With New you get to know the break in period. With new you have the honor of being the first and it is special. However, you have to take in cost of bike, build cost, tax, title and registration cost can go up quick.

Used - cost is low which is good, low mileage used bikes are out there so you can get almost new. Some are already moded save on cost there. If you drop who cares was not new.

Either way buy during winter dealers are always trying to clear out and you can make great deals and demands. Have them give you a helmet and gloves a discount on jacket and boots. ect... all sorts of things you can ask for. Maybe even have them throw in a exhaust and dynojet or free labor on it. Always ask never hurts. This is true on new or used bikes.

No matter what if you buy used from private have it inspected before purchase. Have the seller meet you some place or have them show you a recent service statement current date. You want the bike to be safe. Always look the bike over as well.

Best of luck and enjoy the experience in buying a bike and then riding it. Be safe and have fun. Stay relaxed start easy. Ride your ride not some one else. meaning ride to your comfort and your level not theirs.
lv250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #11
OGjackafidy
ninjette.org member

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 250r

with my used it felt like it was brand new and its special to me. i usually tell people to buy used just because i dont see the point in having all of those dealer fees and then having to go through the break in period. especially if you plan on owning a SS or something bigger in the next year or two there is no point in buying new. a low mileage 2011 will only go for a few extra hundred dollars on resale anyway

Old September 13th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #12
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

If your planning on moving up, perhaps used is the way to go.

I myself am brand new to motorcycles too. I pick up my New bike next week. I chose new because even if it gets dropped, I know I dropped it, and not someone else. Therefor, I am responsible for it, and it's not a pre-existing issue.

I'm one of those guys where if I get something, if I break it- I keep my cool. If someone else does, I get very pissed.

But then again, in the end getting new or getting used it truely up to you. List the pros, list the cons.

As for buying, I think before winter would be a good time. It may be best to buy durring winter. Thats when Dealerships (if you but from one) are desparate for buisness because it's not really riding season at that time. That or right before winter. If you wait till things start getting better and riding season comes back, that's when they'll have tougher prices because motorcycles come in demand.

Edit: sorry, I meant used is the way to go if you upgrade.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #13
AlanDog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, 2009 KLX250-SF, 2014 Zero S

You can get great deals on used bikes with low miles--people buy'em and either don't get into it and they sit, or they lay the bike down and get out of it.

The girl I bought my 2007 from took the MSF, rode her bike less than 100 miles, and it sat in her garage for 2 years--she was afraid to ride in traffic!
AlanDog is offline   Reply With Quote