ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

View Poll Results: How do you prefer to cut the engine?
toggle the cut-off switch 95 45.24%
turn the ignition key to off 84 40.00%
put the kickstand down 15 7.14%
no preference (use all 3 interchangeably) 16 7.62%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 17th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #41
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guztack View Post
ok.. this is pretty weird but when I ride the bike its fine. only when I finish parking the engine shuts off automatically o.O? this happens alot.
I don't release the clutch, but still almost everytime I finish riding this happens.
that's not good.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2009, 06:22 PM   #42
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guztack View Post
ok.. this is pretty weird but when I ride the bike its fine. only when I finish parking the engine shuts off automatically o.O? this happens alot.
I don't release the clutch, but still almost everytime I finish riding this happens.
If you are putting the kickstand down while in gear, that will turn off the bike.
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2009, 01:43 AM   #43
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Yes, none of us are suggesting you use the kill switch and leave the bloody key in the bike ignition. That would just be stupid. What we're saying is we were taught by the MSF course to use the kill switch to turn off the engine first, then turn the power key off. I think it also had to do with how the power in the system works and not just for emergency reasons. If you wanna just kill the engine with the switch and leave your key in and turned to on so that anybody can come by and steal your bike, by all means do so. Just be prepared to lose your bike and probably not get any help from your insurance.

You know, oddly enough on my bike I can put it in gear with the kickstand down w/o it killing the engine. It's not until I try to release the clutch that it actually kills the engine if the kickstand is still down. Maybe it's just a difference from the older to the newer ninjettes. If I have the clutch in and put it in gear with the stand down, it doesn't do anything. Start to release the clutch and off it goes even before hitting the friction zone.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #44
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I use the key to shut off my bike. if you use the kill switch, the lights stay on and you might forget to turn them off one day if you leave the key in.

as far as the bike is concerned, it doesn't matter which way you kill the engine.
Yeah, this is what the manual said to do. I wondered why it was different from what I had just learned in the MSF course, where they tell you in no uncertain terms to use the engine kill-switch until I left my key in a couple times. I pop-started once and needed a jump start another.

The start-up procedure differs from MSF too due to "FINE-C" requiring a fuel supply valve to get past the first step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickds7 View Post
MSF says to hit the kill switch first so that you don't take your hands off the grips, I think. Just don't let go of the clutch when taking your hand off to turn the key :P
Ah, that's probably why... I was wonderin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Yes, none of us are suggesting you use the kill switch and leave the bloody key in the bike ignition. That would just be stupid. What we're saying is we were taught by the MSF course to use the kill switch to turn off the engine first, then turn the power key off. I think it also had to do with how the power in the system works and not just for emergency reasons. If you wanna just kill the engine with the switch and leave your key in and turned to on so that anybody can come by and steal your bike, by all means do so. Just be prepared to lose your bike and probably not get any help from your insurance.

You know, oddly enough on my bike I can put it in gear with the kickstand down w/o it killing the engine. It's not until I try to release the clutch that it actually kills the engine if the kickstand is still down. Maybe it's just a difference from the older to the newer ninjettes. If I have the clutch in and put it in gear with the stand down, it doesn't do anything. Start to release the clutch and off it goes even before hitting the friction zone.
Yeah, that's gotta be one of the differences. On a 2008+ it will shut off as soon as you press the shift lever down, even while continually holding the clutch in. It will not start with the kickstand down just because you held the clutch in either.

Also, to leave the key in intentionally would be stupid, but it's far easier to do accidentally if you didn't remove it when killing the engine (instead of the switch). It hard to unknowingly walk away from a bike that's still running! I habitually lock my forks and remove the key then, but it hasn't kept me from thinking I had already done it and pocketed the keys a couple times when I had not.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #45
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven View Post
I believe that's only for dark chocolate
They have GREAT chocolate in St. Andrew N.B.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #46
Apollo626
ninjette.org member

Name: Marcus

Motorcycle(s): Green '08 Ninja 250R

Preferred engine cut-off method?

I know there are several ways to cut the engine when I've arrived at my destination, but I've always wondered if there's a 'correct' way to do it. I.E. is there a way that's better for the engine.

Between the cut-off switch, turning the key to off, and putting down the kickstand which method do you use to kill the engine?
Apollo626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #47
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Wow, two of you kill the engine just by putting the sidestand down while the bike is in gear? :O

Old September 13th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #48
Apollo626
ninjette.org member

Name: Marcus

Motorcycle(s): Green '08 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
Wow, two of you kill the engine just by putting the sidestand down while the bike is in gear? :O
Real Ninja riders kill the engine at speed!
Apollo626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #49
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

I always turn the key off because I read where the kill switch wears out quickly. Not sure if that's true but that's how I roll...

Old September 13th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #50
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

I just turn it off whatever way is most expedient. Kickstand is my usual method, im in first gear already so just kick it down, engine stops, then i get my key and head off.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #51
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo626 View Post
Real Ninja riders kill the engine at speed!
Been there, done that, had the change of skivvies for it. Repeatedly.

Had the engine just shut off a few times while coasting down BIG hills. One time was with the speedo showing 95mph, coasting.

Turned out to be crud in the clutch lever switch breaking the electrical contact while it vibrated. Still very much a not-so-fun experience, esp when I can't hear the engine idle over the wind noise. But just rev-match to where I should be, make sure I'm in 6th and slowly let the clutch back in.

Re: main topic, I haven't heard anything about the cut-off switches dying early, but I imagine it would just be a contact getting cruddy. If anything, I'd expect them to fail from lack of use due to corrosion.

Old September 13th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #52
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

I use whichever is most convenient at the time, usually I just put the kickstand down when I stop and hop off.
Felipe the Ant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #53
Chuffmonkey
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 250R SE (sold 5/8/13)

Quote:
I do, because I leave it in first gear when parked. I also start it by first putting up the kickstand, holding the clutch in and starting the engine (without shifting to Neutral). Cognitively it just seems easier, especially when compared to turning off with the key, where I would need to take my right hand off the bars whilst holding the clutch in (or shifting to N to use my left).

Just one of those habits - not sure if it's a good habit, or a bad habit.
Chuffmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #54
stealth250
Gearhead

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Kickstand and key. Usually kickstand though. I think I've used the kill switch maybe 2 or 3 times since I've owned it, and that was when I was adjusting the headlight...

Old September 13th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #55
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

key lock mechanism is stuck on my 636 so i use the killswitch
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #56
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Wow. Maybe I'm just a geezer but I would never trust the kickstand sensor to kill the bike in gear all the time. It would never, EVER, have occurred to me to reliably turn off the bike this way. Not judging -- it just seems like a lot could go wrong if the sensor got road gunk in it or etc.

In all my years of riding, I've had many kickstand sensors fail for various reasons and never once had a kill switch fail. YMMV, of course. *shrug*

Old September 13th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #57
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

Quote:
Wow. Maybe I'm just a geezer but I would never trust the kickstand sensor to kill the bike in gear all the time. It would never, EVER, have occurred to me to reliably turn off the bike this way. Not judging -- it just seems like a lot could go wrong if the sensor got road gunk in it or etc.

In all my years of riding, I've had many kickstand sensors fail for various reasons and never once had a kill switch fail. YMMV, of course. *shrug*
Well, if I put the kickstand down and the engine doesn't turn off, I'll just use the key or the kill switch. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal, engine off is engine off no matter what switch you use. Just don't let go of the clutch until it turns off
Felipe the Ant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #58
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

I usually just put the kickstand down while stopped because both places I mainly park (work and home) are on slight inclines.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #59
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kurgan

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post
I usually just put the kickstand down while stopped because both places I mainly park (work and home) are on slight inclines.

My driveway has an extreme incline from top to bottom, and a slight incline from left to right.

Plus I made the mistake of leaving my first 250R in neutral while it was parked, and it rolled backwards and dropped bending the shift lever, breaking the tip off the clutch lever, and cracking the left turn signal in half.
Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 07:10 PM   #60
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

The bikes turn off???? Now you tell me....I always just left it running. I'm gonna try this; bet it'll save me lots of money on gas!
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #61
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

I put the three are interchangeable, but I honestly almost never use the key to shut off the engine.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #62
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

I always turn off the key and usually leave the kill switch on so it doesn't wear out. If I'm parked in a public place where people may try and steal it I turn off the kill switch. Honestly I'm not sure what doing that would accomplish considering you have to have the keys to start it and anyone smart enough to hotwire it would also know that the kill switch had to be on... I guess it's just my stupid OCD doing the work for me
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #63
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

I use the ignition switch and always lock the handle bars when off the bike. Have tested the kill switch and kickstand for proper operation but it's not my main means to kill the engine.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #64
Jerry
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

Kickstand usually. It's the lazy way.
Kill switch sometimes.
Key never.

I've never heard of a kill switch 'wearing out,' and I have had to replace an ignition (key) switch. The contacts wore down, and didn't make good contact...

The ignition switch was expensive, and on the ninja it is intentionally difficult to remove...
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #65
Heed

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

Thumb -> key -> valve

That's what I was taught repeatedly at the BRC.

But I have been told it's best to use the key and not play with the kill switch.

Old September 13th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #66
C L
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2014 300

I use kickstand..

Have to put the kickstand down anyway.. if the engine turns off before I hit the killswitch (it always does) then thats that
C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #67
choneofakind

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I use the kill switch. That's how MSF taught me, so that's what I'll continue to do
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #68
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

I've honestly never cared which method I use. Normally it's probably the kickstand for me, I don't see any reason for concern if you use this method and keep the clutch in like I always do anyway. Second would be the killswitch, I've heard a little bit about these things wearing out, but I also remember reading a post by Alex (at least I'm fairly certain it was Alex...) saying that the switch is no more/less reliable than the ignition, so I've never really cared. Last would be the key, I do use this one, but not often to stop, my HID's have some problems and they sometimes cut out when I hit a bump in hot weather, only way to turn them back on at speed is to hold the clutch in, and turn the key off and back on really quick.

Old September 13th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #69
WhiteRice
Kamikaze Squirrel

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
Thumb -> key -> valve

That's what I was taught repeatedly at the BRC.

But I have been told it's best to use the key and not play with the kill switch.
Me too!

So should I not be using the switch?
WhiteRice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #70
Heed

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRice View Post
Me too!

So should I not be using the switch?
I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

I've seen a video of a guy saying that you should always use your key and to not mess with the killswitch unless you absolutely need to (emergencies) but I don't see the problem in using it.

I'll be doing what the MSF taught me. I guess it's just a safety precaution to use both. The engine won't start if the switch is in the off position, right? i really don't remember. it's been about a month since I passed.

Old September 13th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #71
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Today I decided to see what would happen if I held the front brake and dropped the clutch. Bike leaped forward about a foot and stopped. Now you know.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #72
LiquidBiohazard
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

My Shutdown procedure:

Killswitch > Key > Clutch > Kickstand

In that order, how we were taught in motorcycle school.
LiquidBiohazard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #73
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Kickstand usually. It's the lazy way.
Kill switch sometimes.
Key never.

I've never heard of a kill switch 'wearing out,' and I have had to replace an ignition (key) switch. The contacts wore down, and didn't make good contact...

The ignition switch was expensive, and on the ninja it is intentionally difficult to remove...
True, but you have to take the key out anyways, so using the ignition to cut it off or using the kill switch makes no difference if you take the key out.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 03:11 AM   #74
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post

I didn't think it was all that difficult when I first stole my bike.

Old September 14th, 2011, 03:48 AM   #75
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by C L View Post
I use kickstand..

Have to put the kickstand down anyway.. if the engine turns off before I hit the killswitch (it always does) then thats that
Not really. If you put the kickstand down first, you still have to take the key out. 2 steps, just like taking out the key, then putting the stand down. Speaking of which, if you use the killswitch first, you still have to take the key out AND put the kickstand down. THREE STEPS! I'm too lazy for that, so I leave the killswitch on, thereby saving myself milliseconds every time I stop the bike. Over years, this could save me many seconds, maybe even a minute. Leaving me more time for television commercials or surfing useless things on the net.

I understand why some MSF classes (not mine) say to use the killswitch -- if you get in the habit it will be more automatic to use it in emergency. More importantly, the kill switch method keeps you accidentally from letting go of the clutch and jumping forward if you forget to put the bike in neutral and let off the clutch. No temptation to take hands from the clutch or front brake to get the key, so you have all your levers covered when the bike turns off. From an MSF perspective teaching noobs, this is probably least likely to result in bad things happening. But I've been doing this long enough I know darn well where it the kill switch is and when to use it, and not to clutch out while stopped in first. So, to me, using the kill switch is maybe a good thing for a beginning rider, and maybe evidence of good habits, but I prefer not to add an extra step to my shutdown procedure.

Turning off the bike with the kickstand, that is just amateurish. It is a safety feature to keep you from driving off with the stand down and eating pavement. Turning off the bike that way smacks of "oops, I'm a noob, forgot." Even if you are doing it on purpose, I vote embarrassing.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 04:13 AM   #76
RedCromwell
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250

I used to shut the bike off using the kill switch as I was taught in the MSF class. But after reading another post on a similar topic it got me looking through the Ninja owner's manual. Kawasaki's recommended shut off was to use the key to turn the ignition off.

Not that I'm a stickler for following the rules, but that's the shut down procedure I follow now. And I just leave the kill switch in the "On" position.
RedCromwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 04:16 AM   #77
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I use the key because I don't have a kickstand switch.

Old September 14th, 2011, 05:03 AM   #78
haze5736
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250

I use the kill switch. That's how I was taught in the msf class so it just stuck with me. Plus it allows me to cut the engine while I'm backing into my parking spot. I can also cut the engine as I'm rolling into the garage since we have bedrooms over the garage and I don't like to release exhaust fumes in there.
haze5736 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 07:00 AM   #79
BobsPT
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bobby

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I've always used the key. Though I"ve been aware that the kickstand shuts the engine down, I thought it was more of a precaution for not riding away with it down. I never knew people actually used it to turn off the engine on a regular basis. Well, I've learnt something today.
BobsPT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #80
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
I didn't think it was all that difficult when I first stole my bike.
Me either.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote