Old May 11th, 2017, 10:12 AM   #1
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
The adrenaline junkie myth

I run into this all the time. Because of the stuff I've enjoyed in my life -- flying, whitewater kayaking, race car driving, motorcycles on and off the track -- I'm constantly being labeled as an adrenaline junkie.

I'm not. Really. But nobody believes me. Was just discussing it last night with my wife. She doesn't believe me either.

I don't LIKE being scared. I don't LIKE being on the edge. I don't WANT to get hurt.

What I do like is the precision of executing a skill. The dynamism of the experience. But always within my limits.

Anyone else encounter this?

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

Old May 11th, 2017, 10:52 AM   #2
Dave Wolfe
CCS Amateur #501

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 SE 'Booger'

Nope. I like the adrenaline. Cant relate to you.

I go to trackdays: Dont crash!!!! they say. But im on a freaking track to push myself. Hmmmph

I go to race school: Dont crash!! But I came here to crash because the track day folks dont want me crashing there. Hmmph. I damn near crashed in the wet and it made me feel great.
Dave Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 11th, 2017, 10:54 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Although I don't get accused of being an adrenaline junkie very often, I consider myself to be one at some level. Not the kind that flies in a wing suit, but a less death defying kind. At some point I realized that racing a bicycle when I was 15, buying a drag boat when I was 17, a Kawasaki H2 when I was 20, then a Hobie Cat, getting into water skiing at a semi-competitive level, and more recently setting up a motorcycle just for the Dragon, all make me feel good because of the adrenaline.

It's not a matter of wanting to be hurt or scared, it's a matter of having the kind of thrilling fun that produces adrenaline. Guys at the Dragon get down to the overlook and stop to rest for a while, talk, relax, etc.. Usually when I get down there I do a U-turn and head right back up to keep enjoying the heightened state I'm in.

From the activities you say you enjoy, I think you're definitely enjoying the same adrenaline producing excitement that I enjoy. It doesn't take high risk level to get into thrill level.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2017, 11:06 AM   #4
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I don't LIKE being scared. I don't LIKE being on the edge. I don't WANT to get hurt.

I used to thrive on the thrill, now I have too many people that depend on me.

Although, I did catch myself doing 165 down a country road the other day.

Old May 11th, 2017, 11:09 AM   #5
Twisthem488
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninjette

I've had this argument before which included some other activities like rock climbing and sky diving. It was less about being an adrenaline junkie and more about risk taking, which I kind of took offense too because I try to avoid risk. Honestly, motorcycling is the most dangerous thing I do, and the one that does provide any kind of significant risk, but its something I try to mitigate. I like have fun, but I don't like getting hurt. I don't like consequences.

When you go skydiving (I've done it once, and it was tandem), everything was redundant. Two people to act, two pull cords on the main chute, an extra chute that auto deploys at a specific altitude, and it all gets checked very attentively. Its the same thing with rock climbing (I just do gym and sport, no trad). There a safety system put in place to take care of the risks. If you follow the procedures you are going to be fine, and your only likely problem is hurting yourself by overdoing a move, and not from falling.

I juggle several different types of props, and yoyo, and spin fire etc. The confident state of flow is exactly what I'm looking for too. Somethings provide adrenaline and I like that, but only when I know I'm not really endangering myself, and it usually wears off quickly because I find the adrenaline comes from the possibility of accident. Sometimes, like bungee jumping it happens just because its a new experience, but after jumping 3 or 5 times, the adrenaline was gone, and it was just a fun sensation.
Twisthem488 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2017, 11:52 AM   #6
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I used to thrive on the thrill, now I have too many people that depend on me.

Although, I did catch myself doing 165 down a country road the other day.
There's a big difference between going hella fast ready to crap your pants and doing the same being in control, confident and comfortable. One involves a lot of adrenaline. The other, much less.

When I ride, I don't see the red mist. I don't go into chase mode. Even when I'm at full chat headed into Turn 1.

Old May 11th, 2017, 11:58 AM   #7
adouglas
Cat herder

I think you get it. I'm fine with risk when well managed. From the outside it looks to the average citizen that I'm nuts. But I see a picture of risk management and control.

To me, an adrenaline junkie is a person who thrives on the rush and will pushes until they get it. Dave's post above says that. IMHO that means increasingly risky behavior over time, because the internal signal is MORE! instead of BACK OFF. What scares you silly the first time you hit the track is routine a year later, so you go faster, brake deeper, accelerate harder, pushing to get to the limit. And it's all good until one day, it really, really isn't.

I prefer to sneak up on fast...

I'd probably make a lousy racer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisthem488 View Post
I've had this argument before which included some other activities like rock climbing and sky diving. It was less about being an adrenaline junkie and more about risk taking, which I kind of took offense too because I try to avoid risk. Honestly, motorcycling is the most dangerous thing I do, and the one that does provide any kind of significant risk, but its something I try to mitigate. I like have fun, but I don't like getting hurt. I don't like consequences.

When you go skydiving (I've done it once, and it was tandem), everything was redundant. Two people to act, two pull cords on the main chute, an extra chute that auto deploys at a specific altitude, and it all gets checked very attentively. Its the same thing with rock climbing (I just do gym and sport, no trad). There a safety system put in place to take care of the risks. If you follow the procedures you are going to be fine, and your only likely problem is hurting yourself by overdoing a move, and not from falling.

I juggle several different types of props, and yoyo, and spin fire etc. The confident state of flow is exactly what I'm looking for too. Somethings provide adrenaline and I like that, but only when I know I'm not really endangering myself, and it usually wears off quickly because I find the adrenaline comes from the possibility of accident. Sometimes, like bungee jumping it happens just because its a new experience, but after jumping 3 or 5 times, the adrenaline was gone, and it was just a fun sensation.

Old May 11th, 2017, 12:00 PM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I feel exactly where you're coming from Mr. Fist, especially from my dad who has crashed EVERY bike he has ever owned, but then again... so have I. hahahahahahaha

Anyway...

It took a fishing trip where over the course of an hour on a bass boat to explain everything I do ahead of time to mitigate risk factors. He is not 100% on board but feels much better about things.

My late grandmother, never accepted what I do on a bike no matter how I explained it and made me call her when I got back home after every trip.

I am NOT an adrenaline junkie, I am a skill junkie.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old May 11th, 2017, 12:40 PM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I am NOT an adrenaline junkie, I am a skill junkie.
T-shirt.

Stealing.

Old May 11th, 2017, 01:16 PM   #10
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
This is why my father didn't want me to get a motorcycle. He kept telling me I was going to break my spine and become a vegetable. I knew the risks from the beginning. I don't think he's influenced my decision either way, even with buying gear (I do that for MY sake).

He's accustomed to it and is 100% okay with it, but only because he knows that I ride for every other reason than adrenaline. If I do something or something happens that causes me to get an adrenaline rush, I usually pull over to take a breather before continuing.

When I'm eventually in a position to afford track days, I'm sure adrenaline will play some factor into my level of enjoyment, but I'm certain it won't even be a major part.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2017, 02:13 PM   #11
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
I have ADD without the "H". People with ADD need external stimulation for their brain to work properly. Either through stimulant drugs such as Ritalin, Adderal, Dexedrine, caffeine, etc. or through epinephrine (adrenaline) secretions from exciting activities.

If I don't get my regular adrenaline fix, my testosterone levels drop, my wife complains of insufficient sex, I'm much more easily distracted & forgetful and life just stagnates. I'll not complete projects at home and at work and get fired. Every single time I've been fired, it was directly as a result of not getting regular exciting activity. If I don't have time for regular bike rides, even just on weekends, I'll go jump out of a perfectly good airplane. That "fix" lasts longer than bike rides or auto racing and takes less time.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2017, 04:16 PM   #12
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I'm the same! I like a skill done well. I love the feeling of being on the bike. I love carving a curve well.

I also love roller coasters but there's not really much danger there. I'm not scared and I don't really want to be. Scuba diving, too- it's cool but I don't do it for an adrenaline rush.

The most common comment I hear when people see my helmet is that riding a bike is dangerous. Well, it can be. Would you like it to be? You can certainly ride that way. Or you can ride conservatively, within limits of skill, and it's not quite so dangerous. I choose a bit more conservative riding style.

Quote:
I run into this all the time. Because of the stuff I've enjoyed in my life -- flying, whitewater kayaking, race car driving, motorcycles on and off the track -- I'm constantly being labeled as an adrenaline junkie.

I'm not. Really. But nobody believes me. Was just discussing it last night with my wife. She doesn't believe me either.

What I do like is the precision of executing a skill. The dynamism of the experience. But always within my limits.

CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 11th, 2017, 09:40 PM   #13
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

I'm not an "adrenaline junky" per se but I'd be deceiving myself if there wasn't some element of danger that I (subconsciously) seek in my hobbies. If I just wanted to be skillful I'd play more chess, bridge, or golf.

On some level being skillful at hobbies where the stakes are higher I find more rewarding.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2017, 09:47 PM   #14
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
The most common comment I hear when people see my helmet is that riding a bike is dangerous.
Woah woah woah. Dangerous? Crap! I never knew! Guess I'd better take up knitting instead.

Old May 12th, 2017, 06:30 AM   #15
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Yeah, the non-riders are always the helpful ones who tell you how dangerous riding is. One retirement aged guy a couple years older than I am, at a fast food restaurant, told me that a rider had died in a wreck nearby. Then a few minutes later he came by again and said that he didn't mean to scare me. I told him "no problem", but actually found it funny that he thought he might have done that to me.

The guy who actually was scary was a younger guy in Rockville MD, who used to go around in shopping centers in the late '70s and early '80s trying to convince motorcycle riders to stop. He had been in a bad crash and obviously had sustained brain damage, and you could tell his face was reconstructed. He wasn't very good at making a coherent point verbally, but it was obvious what he was trying to say.

Old May 12th, 2017, 08:03 AM   #16
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I've been riding motorized two wheel vehicles for over 57 years and there is no adrenaline left. I don't even get road rage any more (I'm fairly good at predicting the morons on the road and staying away from them). I feel you only get adrenaline when something is new and exciting. I believe I'm more in the experienced and mundane phase (it could just be the insanity side of my brain over working). Even at the track I feel comfortable just letting the bike slide, twitch, lift the front or rear wheel, it's just part of the ride. When someone, like my next door neighbor, says something scary about motorcycle riding I'm just glad he's not riding. If you feel that way you'd be dangerous.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old May 12th, 2017, 08:18 AM   #17
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Junkies can never admit they are a junkie.

You are an adrenaline junkie.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2017, 08:27 AM   #18
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I too am attracted to "high risk" endeavors such as motorcycling and flying. Although I have not been accused of being an adrenaline junkie I have been accused of having a "death wish" which is not the truth. I have a "enjoy my life to the fullest wish" and do those things and others with my safety and the safety of others in mind.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2017, 08:43 AM   #19
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
Junkies can never admit they are a junkie.

You are an adrenaline junkie.
If you're riding with others and they take off at high speed, making illegal/questionable passes and generally hooning it up, do you chase them?
--> Adrenaline junkie

Or do you just ride your own ride and meet them at the other end?
--> Not an adrenaline junkie

I'm the latter. Objective evidence speaks louder than claims.

Old May 12th, 2017, 08:52 AM   #20
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Or do you just ride your own ride and meet them at the other end?
--> Not an adrenaline junkie
I respectfully disagree with the idea that if you don't behave like an idiot, you're not an adrenaline junkie. Getting caught up in a testosterone induced peeing contest is not necessary for one to participate in and enjoy an activity that causes the release of adrenaline.

Old May 12th, 2017, 08:54 AM   #21
adouglas
Cat herder

I'm not saying adrenaline is never involved. But for me, the rush is not the goal, as it clearly is for some.

Old May 12th, 2017, 09:00 AM   #22
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

OK, that makes good sense. Most of the time when I'm riding, I'm enjoying the fun of being out in the country with little traffic, in a scenic environment. But when a good curve comes up, the road is clean, and I can see that no cars or other things are around to get in my way, I'll hang off and see if I can drag a knee. Practicing a turn is a goal there, as is getting a good rush.

Old May 12th, 2017, 09:14 AM   #23
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
I'm not saying adrenaline is never involved. But for me, the rush is not the goal, as it clearly is for some.
Yeah, and you can quit any time.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2017, 09:20 AM   #24
adouglas
Cat herder

Done it before. I stopped whitewater kayaking because I had a few too many risky moments. Risk got too high... adrenaline was the warning sign that said "enough." An addict would have brushed it off and kept on going, no?

If you're an acknowledged adrenaline junkie, what makes you stop a risky hobby or other behavior? Genuinely curious.

Old May 12th, 2017, 09:40 AM   #25
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
If you're an acknowledged adrenaline junkie, what makes you stop a risky hobby or other behavior? Genuinely curious.
Just what made you stop, that you felt it was too dangerous to continue. Again, I think there's a big difference between seeking adrenaline rushes and blatant disregard for safety.

Old May 12th, 2017, 12:20 PM   #26
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
I'd think it'd be the crippling mental pain of realizing that you were being reckless after you get injured seriously enough, and that you've gotta tone it down or stop. There are only so many Evel Knievel's out there; they don't usually live long. And even he wasn't too much of an exception.

Old May 12th, 2017, 01:08 PM   #27
Dave Wolfe
CCS Amateur #501

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 SE 'Booger'

Quote:
Done it before. I stopped whitewater kayaking because I had a few too many risky moments. Risk got too high... adrenaline was the warning sign that said "enough." An addict would have brushed it off and kept on going, no?

For me the self preservation instinct still exists. Its just a matter of balance against the adrenaline. I quit an exciting activity when its no longer exciting, or I no longer enjoy it, or the risk/reward ratio gets too bad.

Im really pretty whimpy in the grand scheme of things. I slowly bump things up so the excitement is still there without scaring myself silly. Exciting hobbies seem to last 5-10 yrs then its time to move on to something else.
Dave Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2017, 02:27 PM   #28
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Not sure if it is the adrenaline rush I love. But I know I love the thrill of learning a skill... So when I go to places like the track or gap and can ride smoothly through the turns, I get a rush. Roller coasters give me a nice rush, I do like to be scared in a controlled environment.