Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Notices

Old May 24th, 2018, 04:36 AM   #2161
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I've not SEEN a broken cassette, but I'm sure someone somewhere has broken cogs off a spider or experienced a broken pin or something.

Regarding fixie riders vs singlespeeders, I bet they're talking about the freehub, which yes, I have had freehubs fail. Usually "fail" just means the pawls got goobered up a little and bound up and the bike was unable to freewheel. All they need is cleaned and greased when this happens. I've also seen bikes with destroyed pawls and/or ratechets if the rider was a powerhouse on a cheapo hub. Higher end stuff like DT Swiss has replaceable ratchets and most reputable hub companies will sell you new pawls/pawl springs if needed.

FYI: cassettes do need cleaned and inspected for wear. Depending on the cassette and freehub design, you might also find that your hardened cassette bites into your soft aluminum freehub and leaves little grooves that need to be filed down occasionally to make cassette install/removal smooth again. I count that as maintenance.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2018, 05:09 AM   #2162
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

In the age of ultra-lightweight componentry, cassettes, drivetrain failure are not uncommon:

"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 24th, 2018, 06:34 AM   #2163
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
In the old days of freewheels, I've seen a pawl break. I've never had a modern cassette fail, but I've had them groan and creak under load if they go unserviced too long, so I wouldn't say they're maintenance free. I take the freehub apart every few years, check the sealed bearings for looseness, clean everything, grease and reassemble.

Last futzed with by Triple Jim; May 24th, 2018 at 07:36 AM.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2018, 07:10 AM   #2164
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
In the age of ultra-lightweight componentry, cassettes, drivetrain failure are not uncommon:
well.... there’s a lot of technique involved too. Shifting under load is kinda bad form. I remember breaking chains back in the 5-spd freewheel days trying to shift under load. That 0.5s of relaxing when shifting does wonders for durability.

Personally I think we should all go back to straight flat cogs with no ramps and do away with index shifting. All gimmicks to make up for poor technique. And bring back centrepull brakes too! And steel frames made over open hearth!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2018, 07:41 AM   #2165
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
And bring back centrepull brakes too!
Ha, center-pulls were a new improvement over the older side-pull type. The claim was that forces on the left and right pads were equal, whereas side pulls pulled only on one side. Of course that's nonsense, and center-pull brakes fell out of favor in a few years. I didn't like center-pull brakes, so I replaced the ones that came on my Gitane with Universal side-pulls, circa 1974.

Old May 24th, 2018, 08:59 AM   #2166
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
The heck with all that nonsense, I got hydraulic disks going on my current build . Because mountains!

Old May 24th, 2018, 12:12 PM   #2167
"A"
vampire

Cool

Quote:
well.... there’s a lot of technique involved too..
Similarly for most of advancements in motor vehicles, ABS, disc brakes, CVT, etc... I'm somewhat old school, drivetrain on my bicycles are mostly 8 or 9-speed... perhalps not as fragile as the modern 11-speed drivetrain.

Old May 24th, 2018, 03:02 PM   #2168
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Too many driver's aids on today's bikes and cars! I think it allows more stupid and unskilled people on road. Whereas in previous decades, they wouldn't even have tried or would've been killed off early.

I managed bike-shop in Santa Barbara for couple years. Lady comes in and demands to buy top-of-line hybrid bike. We sell her one and off she goes. A couple weeks later, her husband comes back with bike and asks for refund. Apparently, she was riding down their street and cat runs across road. She slams on her brakes (just like on her SUV), flies over bar, smashes her face and breaks off lots of teeth!!!

Ahh... good 'ol days... I miss silk sew-ups.

Old May 24th, 2018, 04:13 PM   #2169
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Did he get his refund? If I owned the shop I might have offered a trade-in price, minus any damage from the crash.

On Shark Tank once, a guy was pushing a brake setup that had one lever that operated the rear brake. Braking force then actuated the front brake. This meant that if the rear wheel came up, there would be no braking force, and the front brake would release, making it impossible to go over the handlebar. What he didn't say was that any time braking tried to get near the maximum, when conventional brakes would have the rear wheel just barely floating and the front wheel stopping like crazy, his system would back off the front brake. This meant that it would not be possible to stop anywhere near as fast with this "safe" system.

He allegedly made a deal with a shark, but I have no idea if it went past the next hurdle and actually became a contract. I wouldn't want someone failing to stop in time and running in front of a truck because of some stupidly designed safety system.

Old May 24th, 2018, 04:31 PM   #2170
DannoXYZ

Yeah, gave him refund minus wholesale cost of seat and bar-grips. In ‘80s, bike manufacturers started putting lawyer-lips on their fork-ends due to increasing number of lawsuits. The amount of coddling and spoiled brats have just increased exponentially since then.

What we need is a good bombing and complete destruction like what happened to Europe over the millennia; Black Plague, World Wars, etc. Kill off unfit unskilled spoiled brats and teach survivors to appreciate what they have more.

Old May 24th, 2018, 07:00 PM   #2171
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Well that took an unexpectedly dark turn...

Also new 11-speed and 12-speed is more fragile than old 8/9 speed?? Oh lawd, keep it coming, that's too good. can't wait to see the anecdotal "proof" there...

Jim, that's an interesting product. I wouldn't buy it, but I can see how it would be a fun project to develop and perfect. I'm generally not a fan of vehicle nannies, but I do appreciate the work that goes into them because I'm a nerd and that kind of stuff excites me. It's funny you mentioned a braking product today because I had an interesting ride today. I got out of work late and the rain was holding off, so I went to a close trail and wanted to rip a lap before dark (barely made it) so I has hustling to get done before I really regretted not having a light. As I'm swooping clean lines through the trees, lobbing the bike of humps, tossing it down some rocks, and generally having some party time on the descent, it occurred to me that today was the most deftly in-tune I've been with the bike in a while. I was fast and smooth and light and I never locked, lifted, or skittered a wheel under braking, and all my braking lines were committed and effortless. I then proceeded to speed home because my sensation of speed was so skewed from a fast ride that I had to actually watch my speedo...

It's funny because if we all spent a little time getting to know our vehicles, we wouldn't NEED the nannies. Like my ride today, great braking is just a practiced habit. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes something you can do without thought. So while nanny brakes might be a great project on a bicycle for the sake of doing it, it might be best to leave it as just a thought experiment. Kinda like e-assist bikes. I have a very strong inner debate about them and I'm not sure how i really feel. I'm a fan of tech that progresses what we have, like hydraulic brakes and dropper posts, but I'm not sure I like tech for the sake of itself and nothing else. At what point do we go from improving the bicycle to meet a performance need and we go to making something that no longer is in the spirit of the original? Just interesting thoughts.

Old May 24th, 2018, 07:16 PM   #2172
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Personally I think we should all go back to straight flat cogs with no ramps and do away with index shifting. All gimmicks to make up for poor technique. And bring back centrepull brakes too! And steel frames made over open hearth!
Ludites unite! Who even needs a car anymore? **** that, let's all build our homes out of logs again.

Old May 24th, 2018, 07:20 PM   #2173
"A"
vampire

Having lived in four continents, dozen of different countries around the world, I feel that it's only in American society, people are sue-happy when they fail to take up personal responsibility and make stupid mistakes.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 25th, 2018, 09:22 AM   #2174
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Having lived in four continents, dozen of different countries around the world, I feel that it's only in American society, people are sue-happy when they fail to take up personal responsibility and make stupid mistakes.
Yes, i noticed that about U.S. society as well. With lack of personal responsibility comes A LOT of laws & rules for our own protection. I like being able to drive unlimited speeds in other countries (although average is 130kph, these people aren't idiots). I like being able to use quick-release wheels on my bikes the way they were intended. I like being able to take leftover food from restaurant to orphanages. Heck, being able to walk to edge of cliff and look over without railing or park-rangers barking at me is so refreshing!

Would love to do hikes like these.... alas, not available in U.S....

Old May 25th, 2018, 09:26 AM   #2175
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Lawyers who convince clients they can get free money if they claim the problem was somebody else's fault => people who suddenly don't bother to care about their own safety => injured people, who now look for the ambulance chaser lawyers to get them free money.

CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2018, 09:37 AM   #2176
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
It's funny because if we all spent a little time getting to know our vehicles, we wouldn't NEED the nannies. Like my ride today, great braking is just a practiced habit. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes something you can do without thought. So while nanny brakes might be a great project on a bicycle for the sake of doing it, it might be best to leave it as just a thought experiment. Kinda like e-assist bikes. I have a very strong inner debate about them and I'm not sure how i really feel. I'm a fan of tech that progresses what we have, like hydraulic brakes and dropper posts, but I'm not sure I like tech for the sake of itself and nothing else. At what point do we go from improving the bicycle to meet a performance need and we go to making something that no longer is in the spirit of the original? Just interesting thoughts.
Education and experience goes a long way huh? So many spoiled brats nowadays want instant results; there's a pill for everything! They look at Michael Jordan and say, "he's born that way" or "he's a natural". Obviously discounting and disrepescting decades of hard work and sweat. When you put in your dues and reach that nirvana state, nothing else can compare!

Cool history of bikes. Columbus tubing was used to make Ducatis!

Link to original page on YouTube.

Yeah, tech advances that have measurable improvements are great. Such as roller or cartridge bearings for headsets. Ceramic bearings for hubs, not so great. UCI requirement of diamond-frame, not good!

Old June 4th, 2018, 10:33 PM   #2177
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Please ignore the crustiness of my bike in the following pics.

So, I'm looking for a proper rear rack with provisions for panniers as per the thread's suggestions, and I see this bolt where the pannier should attach on the brake side:

Here's the same bolt from the other side:

The derailleur side doesn't have this:

From what I can tell, this doesn't do a whole lot in keeping the rear brake caliper in place. The two bolts on either side of it should do just fine without it. It looks like it'll be fine if I remove it, and I even took off the caliper to make sure it didn't do anything obviously important. It doesn't seem like it does to me, but more eyes on it might find something I'm missing.

Am I good to go with installing a rear rack?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180604_215910.jpg (61.7 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180604_215923.jpg (75.9 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180604_220057.jpg (48.0 KB, 119 views)
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2018, 04:52 AM   #2178
"A"
vampire

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
Am I good to go with installing a rear rack?
Only one way to find out...

Old June 5th, 2018, 06:18 AM   #2179
DannoXYZ

Get longer bolt for brake side so it sticks out on outside about 10mm. Then mount rack and use nut to clamp to bolt. Just in case that bolt serves some function, you’ll preserve that.

Old June 5th, 2018, 11:31 PM   #2180
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Good idea!

Old June 13th, 2018, 04:07 AM   #2181
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
So I found the weekly group ride with the local fast guys last night. A coworker was like "yeah come along, you'll do great!". Conveniently, he's one of those fast guys who has lots of sponsors and notoriety due to his MTB racing success the last few years

I got droppppppppped hardcore after about 5 miles, found another group of droppees who I was more matched with on pace and we still hauled some mail. It was a blast. I'll likely do it most weeks so I can use it as my one "high intensity" ride of the week and suffer through an hour and a half of blowing up my HR. Plus it's only 2 miles from my new house so that really helps.

The group was huge and cool to chat with. Turns out there's more than a few current and former pros that show up from time to time. What a riot!

29 miles in 1:20... luckily it was fairly flat compared to everything else around here, but it was a still a suffer fest.

Old June 18th, 2018, 07:17 AM   #2182
"A"
vampire

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
29 miles in 1:20... luckily it was fairly flat compared to everything else around here, but it was a still a suffer fest.
It's only a suffer fest if you have to pull, stay in the draft and you're likely to use 50% less energy to just cruise along with the pack and still end up with a fast average speed ride.

I usually count the pedal strokes once I get to the front, 20 pedals stokes (in one leg) and I'm off; no need to suffer any longer and slow the paceline by hogging the front. Ride smart, not hard.

Old June 18th, 2018, 07:00 PM   #2183
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
It's only a suffer fest if you have to pull, stay in the draft and you're likely to use 50% less energy to just cruise along with the pack and still end up with a fast average speed ride.
I did pull. We took turns between the 5 of us. About a minute each time in the front, then rotate.

Old June 18th, 2018, 09:53 PM   #2184
"A"
vampire

1 minute at the front is far too long if you plan to stay with the pace line for the whole ride.
Killing yourself just trying to latch on to the tail end of the pace line after a long of a pull is why most people get dropped from the pace line.

High speed pace line work should be about maintaining the speed as a whole group; not how much or how long one can pull by each individual.
20-30 pedal strokes (less than 20 seconds with 90 rpm cadence) at the front of a pace line then get off is just riding smart, not hard.

Last futzed with by "A"; June 19th, 2018 at 07:53 AM.

Old June 19th, 2018, 10:38 AM   #2185
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Thank you for that advice, A, but I can't find where anyone asked for it.

Old June 19th, 2018, 11:14 AM   #2186
"A"
vampire

Cool

And you didn't pay anything for it neither, value it as much.

But it was not your suffer fest to go through; maybe someone who doesn't like to suffer as much would value the advice more.

Anyway, most serious cyclists are masochists anyway, if you can save enough energy along the way to out pace others when it counts; all the suffering is worthwhile... with or without dope.

Last futzed with by "A"; June 19th, 2018 at 12:26 PM.

Old June 19th, 2018, 01:40 PM   #2187
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14

Jokes aside, you're definitely right; shorter pulls hurt less. But roughly a minute felt right. There's no need to "out pace others when it counts" because it wasn't a race. It isn't a well regulated club or well regimented team. This is just the weekly go-fast ride for whoever shows up, which happens to be a lot of people.

Old June 19th, 2018, 02:02 PM   #2188
"A"
vampire

1 minute pulls may feel right to you, but if 1 minute wasn't too long, you wouldn't have gotten dropped on the ride after only 5 miles as you stated.

Old June 19th, 2018, 02:24 PM   #2189
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
1 minute pulls may feel right to you, but if 1 minute wasn't too long, you wouldn't have gotten dropped on the ride after only 5 miles as you stated.
I have nothing to prove to you. I literally don't give a hairy nut sack what you think of me.

Old June 19th, 2018, 03:24 PM   #2190
"A"
vampire

I didn't ask you to prove anything, doesn't matter to me if you get dropped again within 5 miles or finish the whole ride in the pack.

Just offering sound advice do you make it less of a suffer fest for yourself.

But if you are such a masochist, why not strap some lead weights on your bike or wheels next time.

Old June 19th, 2018, 08:55 PM   #2191
DannoXYZ

Heh, heh... that's OK, common beginner mistake. faster the group goes, or closer to your FTP, the shorter the pulls. At 32mph, you're looking at 5-seconds...

Link to original page on YouTube.

Six of us would use Solvang Century as TTT training and leave 2-hrs after start. Finish in about 4-hrs and still be amongst 1st finishers. Damn Chris Walker would beat us all by himself!

Old June 20th, 2018, 03:51 AM   #2192
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Like I said earlier, A isn't wrong. Shorter pulls are smarter. I should have. I also admit it's been probably 5 years since I've been in a paceline of more than 2 people. But A continually an ass and I'm done with it. I have nothing to prove to him.

And again... not a rigidly structured ride or a well disciplined team here. Just an easy come easy go laid back fast ride. So... when we find little groups to pace in, there's no rigid agreement of "just 27.4 seconds each, boys" it's kinda a relaxed "eh I think I'm good for a bit" and fall back. Can't stress this enough. It's not a race. It's not a regimented training session. It's not a structured workout. It's just a fun ride that happens to be fast. Guys are joking and shooting the bull the whole time.

Old June 20th, 2018, 04:19 AM   #2193
"A"
vampire

Guys that are joking on the rides because they know better than to exert themselves at the front for period beyond their physical capabilities to get dropped within 5 miles.

More importantly on casual rides to be able to stay with the pack and joke through the whole ride.

Group of five riders trying to rotate to catch the pack is working much harder work than group of 8, 10 or 20 just cruising along.

As I said before, you didn't pay anything for my advice, don't make a big deal of it. You got dropped and that's how you learn the next time.

Old June 20th, 2018, 10:04 AM   #2194
DannoXYZ

Usually with these rides, it breaks up into different groups of various paces anyway. Unless you've got career trophies or pro-salaries at stake, you really don't have to make every training moment count for maximum benefits. I was trying out for Olympic Trials in 1994 and every single ride was life-or-death to make it count. After Trials, life just seems so much more relaxing and easy.

Old June 20th, 2018, 03:21 PM   #2195
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
I was trying out for Olympic Trials in 1994 and every single ride was life-or-death to make it count. After Trials, life just seems so much more relaxing and easy.
You are 100% insane for ever getting to that level. I mean that in a good way. At the end of the day, if it's not about having fun, why do we do it? That's why I stopped playing soccer. It was no longer about having fun. It was politics.

Old June 21st, 2018, 06:15 AM   #2196
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
Maybe this appeals to someone on here but at $4200 I'll take a n400

taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2018, 02:38 PM   #2197
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Harley stuff is neat and all, but I have a better use for that kind of $$$.

Old June 24th, 2018, 05:44 PM   #2198
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I like bicycles . All sort of bicycles and have commuted car free for a number of years. Raced , club rides, toured. Mountain bikes BMX you name it. I even got married on Bike tour Colorado after meeting my wife on a bicycle tour in Maryland. So I can say I’m a bike guy. Though for the last couple years I have been motorcycles and scooting more than cycling mostly because I had to have my knee replaced. But I still love bicycles. Today I spotted a new bicycle . I won’t buy one. Because I just don’t have the money. But if thing were different and I needed a pit bike . This would be it.

https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/scrambler

Old June 24th, 2018, 06:43 PM   #2199
"A"
vampire

With a knee replacement, is the limitation more of a strength issue or pedaling frequency issue?
Depending on the challenge, there are some different ways you can make it easier pedaling for your knee.
Personally, I prefer a hub-driven electric bike over pedal-assist-type electric bike.
My last electric conversion was capable of 40+mph and nearly 30 mile range on battery power.

Old June 25th, 2018, 05:15 AM   #2200
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I used to ride 15000 miles a year. It’s more of
Just not wanting to ride. And moving away from the place I really liked to ride. Iowa is nice and very bike friendly. But I think it’s not that I have moved on.