ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 6th, 2017, 08:05 PM   #1
Twisthem488
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninjette

Changing fork seals, but there's trouble in paradise t

My left fork has been leaking for ages. I bought the replacement parts, but lacked the tools and guts for a while now. Well, things are looking up and I've finally begun. I took my time, as I tend to do, and between two and 8 I slowly got the bike apart and forks removed and disassembled. Everything went pretty smoothly, until I pulled out the very last piece. On the "cap" at the base of the damper rod there are 4 gouge marks; two on the top and two on the bottom. I don't see how anything could have caused that while its installed. The d I don't see anything else that looks out of the ordinary or that would have put pressure on those areas.

Is is something to be concerned about and replaced, or is this just a blemish that doesn't matter?

Also, THANK YOU to everyone here who has helped along the way with any of my maintenance and projects. I appreciate you all!
Twisthem488 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2017, 09:19 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
My guess would be a previous hammer and chisel mechanic caused the marks. I'd probably file any raised areas flush and reassemble.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2017, 07:55 AM   #3
Dave Wolfe
CCS Amateur #501

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 SE 'Booger'

Agree nottin to worry about. Those parts get flopped around a bit on assembly trying to get everything aligned. File anything that sticks out and carry on. That part doesnt slide or seal anything so it doesnt need to be perfect.
Dave Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2017, 03:52 PM   #4
Twisthem488
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninjette

Thanks guys. I've gone ahead and done most of the reassembly, but now I think I might have another issue. I put some blue "removable with handtools" loctite on the drain bolt and got it hand tight. I went ahead and put everything back together, including the spring and spacer in order to torque it. The problem I'm having now, is that the damper rod and spring just spin along with the bolt. I can't torque it to specs, and I cant loosen it, even with a drill. I can try to get a hold of an impact wrench and see if that will knock it loose. I hate to not finish it today, but I wan't to make sure I do it all correctly. I had a couple of hours running chores between getting the bolt finger tight and trying to torque it now, which in hindsight was pretty stupid. Any tips?

EDIT

I know understand the magic of impact wrenches. I am now and advocate for them. Go buy an impact wrench. An impact wrench will make you happy.

Last futzed with by Twisthem488; May 8th, 2017 at 04:26 PM.
Twisthem488 is offline   Reply With Quote