ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 31st, 2009, 06:01 PM   #1
NaughtyusMaximus
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ex250

Cool Changing Gears, 3 to 4 sticky

Hi guys,
Just wondering if any of you have experienced this, and if it is normal. Most of the time, switching between gears is easy, and just takes a flick of my foot. Lately it has been taking almost twice the force to knock it from third into fourth. Second into third is slightly more difficult than normal too, but not to the same extent as third to fourth.

Not that it is a huge problem, as if I'm aware of it, I just have to remember to wang on it a little more with my foot - but I would like to know if this is normal or not. The bike goes in for its first service in a couple of days, and has had two oil changes so far.
NaughtyusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2009, 06:13 PM   #2
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I would certainly bring this issue up to the service manager. My bike was somewhat "clunkey" for the first 3000 miles--but when I changed to full Synthetic Oil at 3000miles, the picture changed dramatically. The bike shifts beautifully. I use Shell Rotella T Synthetic (Blue Container available at Wal-Mart) WIX Filters are also the way to go. They are not only great filters, but unlike Kawa, they come with the necessary O Rings. Changing oil on the Ninjette is a piece of cake--check owner`s manual. I got one of those oil changing pans at Auto Zone for $8.00. Works great--no mess.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2009, 08:33 AM   #3
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Clunky shifting was pretty "normal" for me when the bike was new. After clocking a few thousand miles and switching to Rotella T synthetic last month it is shifting a lot better.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2009, 08:34 AM   #4
tlhamon
ninjette.org member

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

On my first long rige I experienced some weird shifting as well. I found a second neutral between 5th and 6th and I could not get the bike in 1st gear without slipping the clutch (like you sometimes need to do to put a car in reverse). I'm chalking it up to break in (my bike only has 176 miles on it).

Old June 1st, 2009, 08:43 AM   #5
NaughtyusMaximus
ninjette.org member

Yeah, I've been unable to get into first from neutral a few times too, but I figure thats just bad luck, stopping in a position where the gears can't catch coming out of neutral.

I've only found a false neutral between 5th and 6th once - kinda annoying, but I'm hoping I can write that off as break in too

Old June 1st, 2009, 02:55 PM   #6
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

I sense a common theme here.....proper break in, and synthetic oil! I know for sure that my bike shifts smoother now that I went to the Rotella, and some of the other 250 riders in my area have confirmed that they experienced the same thing when they switched, too.

Old June 1st, 2009, 02:58 PM   #7
NaughtyusMaximus
ninjette.org member

Hm.. Ok, so I have to wait until a minimum of 3000Km before I should switch to synth, right?

Old June 1st, 2009, 03:02 PM   #8
kkim

I changed to synth at 1K miles.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2009, 03:31 PM   #9
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

I changed at 1700, no problems and all the benefits.

You'll get a LOT of opinions on when it's OK to shift, but considder this: almost all of the high end cars on the planet come with synthetic from the factory, with no more break in than start up at the factory and roll on/off the truck for shipping. Top line F1 cars use full synthetic, and arguably, other than motorcross bikes that only use 1 quart of oil, they're amongst the hardest working high revving engines around and they abuse oil something fierce!

When I get home, I'll post the links to some really great oil info, including links to the Sport Rider articles where they tested some motorcycle oils.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:21 AM   #10
Buffalony
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyusMaximus View Post
Yeah, I've been unable to get into first from neutral a few times too, but I figure thats just bad luck, stopping in a position where the gears can't catch coming out of neutral.
I think you hit the nail on the head.
Welcome to the forum