Old October 3rd, 2012, 07:17 AM   #41
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldc6 View Post
It's the onion bro. It's not real.
First time hearing about the Onion...k, thx.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 06:20 PM   #42
Goom
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 1976 CB550 Cafe, 2011 Ninja 250, 1999 Honda CR125

People might just be a tad bit too sensitive around here. I found this pretty funny. I kid I grew up with killed himself on a bike this spring, shortly after buying it. I still don't find the article offensive. It's The Onion, and it's what they do.

Maybe it's because I've seen enough people who were close to me die already, but I have a sense of humor about death. If you don't, you should. You're not going to avoid death, so you might as well make light of it.
Goom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2012, 09:01 PM   #43
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
First time hearing about the Onion...k, thx.
SRSLY? Damn.

My favorite headline was one I read a decade ago in their "This Day in History" section where they show a fake front-page of a fake newspaper: "HOLY SH-T! MAN WALKS ON F-CKING MOON!"

It deliberately looked exactly like all the other 1969 papers with "MAN WALKS ON MOON!" as the headline. It was poking fun at how the historic headline was written like no one was expecting it when EVERYONE had been anticipating and following the developments for years.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2012, 09:25 PM   #44
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
First time hearing about the Onion...
I realised it was a joke after reading the first 3-4 posts, but I still would have appreciated a warning... lol Ahh well, all's well that doesn't end in a well... :P

Old October 3rd, 2012, 10:06 PM   #45
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcalhoun View Post
i got a rly good laugh and enjoyed the satire, because this is how many non riders thinks it works. many think the second u buy a bike its a death sentence and ur dead in 2 weeks tops. i wont argue its more dangerous to ride a motorcycle bcuz if u wreck ull prly get injured worse, but i got a rly good laugh bcuz many people believe this make-believe senario to be the norm.
I couldn't figure out if they were ragging on the 250 but this might make more sense.

I think it might have been funny if it were more over the top. Something like:
Not 10 seconds after driving off the lot, as your friend Pete swerved to miss a dog and duck under a jumping deer, he was then was hit by a van turning left, crushed by logs rolling off a 18 wheeler, electrocuted by a lightning strike out of the clear blue sky, pancaked by a steam roller, rocketed by a malfunctioning test drone missile and then slammed by a decommissioned Russian satellite. "Boy, that didn't last long," said bike salesman Chris Varrick.
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2012, 08:58 AM   #46
DougBR
ninjette.org member

Name: Douglas

Motorcycle(s): none yet

I didn't get the joke... does it require some cultural knowledge to understand it? I know it's kind of stupid to explain a joke, but...

Yesterday I saw a dead motorcyclist being removed by an ambulance while I was passing by... it wasn't funny....
DougBR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2012, 09:01 AM   #47
Goom
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 1976 CB550 Cafe, 2011 Ninja 250, 1999 Honda CR125

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougBR View Post
I didn't get the joke... does it require some cultural knowledge to understand it? I know it's kind of stupid to explain a joke, but...

Yesterday I saw a dead motorcyclist being removed by an ambulance while I was passing by... it wasn't funny....
The joke is the source of the story. It's fake, just like everything else they write. The Onion exists solely for comedic purposes. Please read some of their other stories. If you don't get it after that, there is no hope.
Goom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #48
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goom View Post
The joke is the source of the story. It's fake, just like everything else they write. The Onion exists solely for comedic purposes. Please read some of their other stories. If you don't get it after that, there is no hope.
It's not the story or the source that is the issue, it's the title of the thread.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #49
mrcrunch
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

I laughed.

Even if you didn't notice it was an Onion story, it's written as if they died before the wheels hit the pavement and it just took a few moments for the "death" to kick in.. Especially the sentence about the brother.

In my mind, I pictured a Christine like motorcycle evilly killing anybody who touched it, and the sales man making a killing reselling it over and over. lol

(maybe i should see a therapist)
mrcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote