ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 14th, 2011, 12:17 AM   #1
KChatham
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 1988 EX250 Ninja

My version of handlebar risers

Hey all!

I'm Kyle, I just started lurking these forums the last few days. This is a great site with tons of information and what seems like a great community. I wanted to share the lowered handlebar risers I design and machined for my 88 ninja with you guys and get some input.

The reason for making these was because I plan on taking my bike to the track but wanted to make it a little more track ready than just the stock bike. I'm also a poor college student wanting to mod my bike so instead of spending $150 for clip-ons or risers I made my own risers, handlebars, and bar ends for around $60-70.

I wanted to share with you the design process. The software and tools used were solidworks to CAD, camworks to CAM, and a Haas VF2 and a TM1 to machine.

My design parameters:
durable
simple
adjustable
light
cosmetics

I wanted something that would give me a better feel but wouldn't break the first time I dropped the bike on the track.

The first step was figuring how I wanted to mount the bars. My initial design was much like the woodcraft clipons for the 08+ where they clip on below the triple tree and came up around it. I didn't like this design because it felt like a lot of extra material was used. I finally opted for a design very close to stock but would offer the lowered bar height, was adjustable to clear the tank and to get the right feel.

After I knew I wanted something similar to stock I took the stock risers off and took some measurements; then I drew up a pattern for the base of the riser. My idea was to use our laser cutter at school to cut out the riser pattern I drew up in solidworks to make sure it would bolt up to the bike. Fortunately it works and fit perfectly. Here is a picture of the part that was laser cut, It's just a simple piece of wood.

This is a picture of the CAD file:

The next step was to make a wooden prototype. I didn't want to waste a 3x3x3in of aluminum on a part when there is a chance it wouldn't work. After using camworks to code the part I cut the wooden prototype on our departments TM1 (didn't want to get the nice VF2 dirty with wood dust). This turned out really well, and I was happy with the design. The part fit on the bike, it was a lot lower than stock, and the bars cleared and still had room to adjust. Now it's time for the aluminum part.

This was after the first operation.

This was the finished part. Everything you see cut was done in the operation after the first minus the hole for the handlebar, that was the 3rd operation. Also noted is the squared top. That will be rounded on the aluminum. I didn't have the right end mill at the time and since it was a prototype I didn't want to spend the time to machine that section.

Here are pictures of it on the bike:

Now its time for the final product.

This was the aluminum stock used, it's 3x3x3in:

It's a 6061 T6 alloy which is normally the standard for aftermarket motorcycle parts, although I would have liked to use a 7075 alloy as it's stronger, but also a lot more expensive. I bought 12" of 6061 for $35 which was enough to make 3 risers (should have made 4 but the bandsaw didn't cut it exactly straight).

Finally this how the right riser turned out:

Comparison of stock and mine:

They weight about the same but mine will be much stronger since it's not cast aluminum.

Here they are on the bike:

Overall I'm super satisfied with them. It's an awesome feeling being able to use something daily that you design and made.

I look forward to being apart of this community and contributing to it. I'm currently working on my own rearsets as well and I'll keep you updated as that project goes.
KChatham is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #2
KChatham
ninjette.org member

Handlebars:
*Sorry I don't have pictures*

For these I wanted something that was stiff enough to take the load from braking but also weak enough so in the event of a crash (going to happen on the track) they would bend/break well before the risers cracked/mounted. I believe most handlebars have a .095" wall thickness I went with a .065" wall thickness for aluminum. I ordered 6' for about $25 dollars. This was enough material to make 7 bars, that's 5 replacement bars. For this reason alone it's a good idea to make the lowered risers. A stock handlebar is $41 plus shipping for one! I can make 7 for half the price!

When I got the tubing I was kind of regretting getting .065" because it looked really really thin. I did a few load test and they started to deflect at aroun 30lbs but wouldn't deform till around 100lbs. I had two ideas, get some polyurethane and make an insert for inside the tube, or use wood. Urethane was expensive and wood from home depot was $4 for 4ft. I went with the wood. I also made some aluminum bungs that would be welded at the end of the bars and then tapped so the bar ends would screw in. At the shop we have plenty of aluminum round stock scrap so I didn't have to pay for that. Making the initial two bars took a day. I haven't made the other 5 but after making the first two I can make those in a day as well. So that's it for the handlebars.

I'll try to get some pictures of the other 5 as I make them. I might be doing that this weekend.

I'll also snap some picture of the stainless steel bar ends I made. They are a little bigger than the stock ones and absorb all vibrations from the handlebars. Makes for a great ride.

EDIT: Here are the pictures of the handlebars and bar end:

Last futzed with by KChatham; September 16th, 2011 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Adding pictures

Old September 14th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #3
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Cool stuff. Interested in making another set of lowered risers? Shoot me a pm.

Old September 15th, 2011, 02:36 AM   #4
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

I believe that for the right price, you could have a lot of people interested in those risers! Also interested.
CmichRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 05:22 AM   #5
kimboEX250
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja EX250

kimboEX250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #6
KChatham
ninjette.org member

Hey guys,

I don't know the forum rules for selling stuff like this, but if it's okay then we might be able to work a limit run production of these if there is enough interest. If you guys are willing to get your own handlebars for these (any 7/8" handlebar will work) then I could make 6 sets at around $60 each plus shipping. They would have a machined finish and come with the two screws to mount the bars, and stock riser mounting bolts will work. If I can get 6 people willing to get these I can order material and possibly have them done in a week. Because of school starting and work/club work this is what I can do for now.

Let me know what you guys think but be aware this isn't final yet, more of a feeler and estimate of what I can offer.

Thanks

Old September 15th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #7
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

dude you are amazing!! this is so cool! If I wasnt selling the 250 I would be all over this!

Old September 15th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #8
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
dude you are amazing!! this is so cool! If I wasnt selling the 250 I would be all over this!
These are for pregens.

Old September 15th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #9
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

I know, doesnt mean the man doesnt have skill

Old September 15th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i wish i had a good cnc

Old September 15th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #11
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i wish i had a good cnc
Me too :/ lets buy one! I have so much stuff I want to make. We could even keep it at your house!
Posted via Mobile Device
Kevin2109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #12
Timon
ninjette.org member

Name: Timon

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250R

Amazing work, major props! Powdercoat them black and you'd have one hell of a quality aftermarket part. I'd definitely be in for a set, add me to the list if you start compiling one.
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #13
CynicalC

edit

Last futzed with by CynicalC; September 20th, 2011 at 05:29 PM.
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 08:47 AM   #14
KChatham
ninjette.org member

So after sourcing some handlebars I've found the woodcraft replacement bars to be the best bet. You can get a bar for $15 and being a 7/8" bar it will slid directly on the riser. For you guys that means the total cost would come to around $90 plus shipping for the handlebars and risers. If you're still interested let me know.

Old September 16th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #15
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

I'd love to be in on the first round of these, but I just can't spend that money right now. I'm trying to find and repair the plastics on my bike...after that will be tires, and then I'll be all over this.
CmichRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #16
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KChatham View Post
So after sourcing some handlebars I've found the woodcraft replacement bars to be the best bet. You can get a bar for $15 and being a 7/8" bar it will slid directly on the riser. For you guys that means the total cost would come to around $90 plus shipping for the handlebars and risers. If you're still interested let me know.
After shipping for both, it brings the cost too close to the woodcraft risers with bars and those come powdercoated. Still a good deal for those who don't mind the mill finish.

Old February 4th, 2012, 11:42 AM   #17
Ninjamomma
ninjette.org member

Name: Suzanne

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Kyle, can you manufacture this?

Hey Kyle,

Saw the pics on your handlebar modification. I've been looking for a year for changing the screw mount handlebar with a application to mount a tube or mx bar. I found an application on http://japanwebike.net/products/2076500/html, (hopefully pictured below) but they want $236.52. And, the japanese site does not have much of a description to make me confident in purchasing it. It looks like you just unscrew the handlebars and mount this application and then find a bar that you like. Of course the next big issue is finding longer cables in which, after the long search, will probably have to have them made.

I have been on many forums that are desperate for an application like this, for us non racing type that love the ninja 250, but want a more upright riding position for longer rides.

Do you think you can manufacture something like this? The picture is too dark to see where the handlebar would fit through (ie can't see hole), but can be seen better on website then clicking on product description.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg handlebar mounts.jpg (39.5 KB, 266 views)
Ninjamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #18
KChatham
ninjette.org member

Suzanne,

Yes, I could manufacture those, however, I don't have the time to do so right now. Between school, and work I'm swamped. Sorry.

Old February 9th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #19
mikesova
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2002 XR200r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjamomma View Post
Hey Kyle,

Saw the pics on your handlebar modification. I've been looking for a year for changing the screw mount handlebar with a application to mount a tube or mx bar. I found an application on http://japanwebike.net/products/2076500/html, (hopefully pictured below) but they want $236.52. And, the japanese site does not have much of a description to make me confident in purchasing it. It looks like you just unscrew the handlebars and mount this application and then find a bar that you like. Of course the next big issue is finding longer cables in which, after the long search, will probably have to have them made.

I have been on many forums that are desperate for an application like this, for us non racing type that love the ninja 250, but want a more upright riding position for longer rides.

Do you think you can manufacture something like this? The picture is too dark to see where the handlebar would fit through (ie can't see hole), but can be seen better on website then clicking on product description.
sweet idea.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #20
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjamomma View Post
Hey Kyle,

Also, because the top triple clamp has indentations for the stock handlebar risers, I'm going to have big ugly gaps if I install rising clip-ons (shimmed newgen Woodcraft on a pregen). I'd love to see block-off plates (same thing with no mount for the bars). What would be even better would be block-off plates that also clamp on the forks so that I can grind away the old clamps and mount my clip-ons higher. Actually, how about an entire triple tree with thinner ends that mount higher on the fork tubes?! That would be awesome!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote