ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 7th, 2017, 10:48 AM   #1
ninjala
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Accident due to pothole

It was reported that a motorcyclist from Sherman Oaks, CA got $ 6.5 million payment from LA county for his serious brain injury from motorcycle accident due to road pothole.

I got accident 4 years ago due to road resurfacing. At that time I thought about suing city for body injury due to road obstacle. Because I had no experience, I gave up.
ninjala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2017, 12:03 PM   #2
kashun84
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Lime Green 250R

Damn, I was on the same boat back in 2011. Hit a long deep pot hole (Technically a gap which is narrow, 5-6ft long and 4,5" deep). I even sent out a letter and a bill of repair to the city but all they said is they are not responsible for that. I stopped there before seeking any legal advice....
kashun84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2017, 03:16 PM   #3
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

lolololo I had a wicked accident back in april as a "result" of potholes. I wonder if it would be worth pursuing.

However I would really hate to be "that guy".

Old September 7th, 2017, 07:35 PM   #4
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
You really need an attourney that knows the ins and outs of how each city works. In S.F. there's maze of paperwork that you need to fill out properly and file appropriately. One of my friends got new set of wheels for his car due to them getting bent from driving over pothole.

Then again, if you're not in a big city with established re-imbursement procedures, you may very well need to do litigation route.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; September 8th, 2017 at 09:12 AM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 9th, 2017, 05:56 AM   #5
dz0
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninjette 2006 FZ6

It isn't too late for an event 4 years ago. You could still pursue something. Not that I am a fan of that, but if you wanted to, it's still possible.
dz0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2017, 11:11 PM   #6
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
Better check with your legislative body about the period which a case is considered valid in court. In Malaysia, you may pursue for a hearing if the incident is not more than 7 years.

Old September 12th, 2017, 08:14 AM   #7
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

If I tried to bill the State of IL for anything like that they'd laugh at me. Feel bad for the guy who has the permanent brain injury I'm assuming he wasn't wearing a helmet. So preventable but to each their own.

Old September 12th, 2017, 09:03 AM   #8
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
It varies from state to state and even city to city.

Usually they have some reasonable amount of time to repair the damage to the road. If it isn't repaired then they are responsible for damage to vehicles.

Check with your local or state department of transportation.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote