ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old November 9th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #41
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

I hereby link you to: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=118651
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #42
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 1999 "1000cc" ZX9R

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Those guys on the bikes should have just left you alone. There was no reason to harass you.

But 55 on the highway? Last time I was in CA, I was in LA with my family, and those highways were moving like 75+ and packed. 55 seems kinda unsafe. Screw some of the mileage, at least peg the cruise at 65 to close the speed gap a little bit.
Last time I was in L.A. the traffic was moving at around 85-90 MPH! I guess to each your own, but, it seems to me that it is almost as dangerous to go 55 on a freeway as it is to go 90+. When your going 75+ mph it is really hard to tell that a car in front of you is going excessively slow (ie 55 on the freeway) until you are right up on them. I've seen alot of bad accidents because someone was going far too slow.
Sigma.40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #43
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
almost all american made cars are limited to 104mph here. in the middle of the night (3am) on a 5lane it's not uncommon to see expensive euro cars doing 120+. the police are looking for drunks so generally if you slow down when they make themselves visible they won't bother too much, but if you react too slowly or anything like that or are just cruising in the fast lane doing 85 they will pull you over to check you out at least. (if you can't tell, we have a little drunk driving problem over here)
Are you sure? My Aurora supposedly tops out somewhere around 145mph or so. I personally have had it up to 130mph but ran out of road. Hell, I had a minivan up to 112.

Old November 9th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #44
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Why didnt you just move over one lane without slowing down? you said they were open. I wouldnt of slowed down behind that A-hole....
It happened all in a matter of seconds. He speeds past, cuts in front and slows immediately. While I put my brakes on, the rest of the gang passed on the left, so I didn't have the opportunity to get over. Trust me, I would have if I could. It pisses me off when I lose momentum during my hypermiling.
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #45
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Probably pisses other people off when they're in traffic and they get stuck behind someone moving 55 as well.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #46
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Probably pisses other people off when they're in traffic and they get stuck behind someone moving 55 as well.
My thoughts exactly, plus it's a safety hazard.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #47
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

but guiz hes hypermiling in his box car leave him alone!
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #48
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

I try not to generalize people using a certain form of transportation. Blame the idiot not the machine. Really gets on my nerve when people are like "how fast you go on that" like I do triple digits everywhere just because its a sportbike. People speed and do dumb **** in cars just as much as bikes depends on the person using the car or bike.

But yeah they should have just passed you up, I would have. Driving 70 miles a day in heavy traffic has gotten me to the point where I am just like f it I'll pass when I get a good chance to do so. I really don't care about speeders as long as they aren't being an asshole with their driving. I will say it annoys the crap out of me when someone camps in the fast lane, especially when they are doing under the speed limit for no reason.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #49
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post

I will say it annoys the crap out of me when someone camps in the fast lane, especially when they are doing under the speed limit for no reason.

Theres always a reason, in my experience its ALWAYS been some sort of cellphone use.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #50
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
Again, as as been said, this is the norm in California. The majority of the commercial vehicles in California are moving no more than a few mph over 55, and there are plenty of 4 wheelers who follow suit to save on gas.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #51
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah, and I bet it annoys people when they come up on Semi's doing 55 as well. That's how it is here.

Old November 10th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #52
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs032 View Post
No offense but you both sound like retarded drivers...55 on 4 lane highway regardless of what lane is too slow and a safety hazard.
Quote:
I don't live in CA but I did a quick view on google maps on I-16 Temecula, CA and there is a sign that says "when towing 55 mph MAX" so he isn't exactly out of line for going 55. OP did also mention that the other lanes were pretty much empty. Maybe you guys should research before you judge the OP?
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #53
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNinja View Post
I don't live in CA but I did a quick view on google maps on I-16 Temecula, CA and there is a sign that says "when towing 55 mph MAX" so he isn't exactly out of line for going 55. OP did also mention that the other lanes were pretty much empty. Maybe you guys should research before you judge the OP?
What? "When towing"... the OP isn't towing, nor is the OP driving commercially. Btw, it's I-15 not 16.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #54
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
What? "When towing"... the OP isn't towing, nor is the OP driving commercially. Btw, it's I-15 not 16.
It was a typo. I meant to hit I-15. What I'm saying is that the OP going 55 isn't a big hazard since there is a max of 55 for other vehicles. I understand that OP isn't towing(nor in a commercial vehicle) but it wasn't like the minimum speed limit is 65 and the OP was going 55. OP was also in the rightmost lane which is meant for the slowest lane of traffic.
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #55
Bassman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 1986 Goldwing, 1996 CR500, 2011 Ninja 250, 2009 Harley Heritage Softail, 1941 Suzuki Gerbil 250

Quote:
It was a typo. I meant to hit I-15. What I'm saying is that the OP going 55 isn't a big hazard since there is a max of 55 for other vehicles. I understand that OP isn't towing(nor in a commercial vehicle) but it wasn't like the minimum speed limit is 65 and the OP was going 55. OP was also in the rightmost lane which is meant for the slowest lane of traffic.
That's the point. When I'm going 55 to conserve fuel I'm in the far right lane to stay out of the way of peps who wish to go faster. This is the slow lane where simi's who have a speed limit of 55 normally drive. It's neither out of line nor disrupting traffic to drive there.

Old November 10th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #56
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yeah, and I bet it annoys people when they come up on Semi's doing 55 as well. That's how it is here.
+1

Quote:
We have those signs in Michigan too, good luck finding ANY semi or vehicle with a trailer doing less than 75.

Old November 10th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #57
Bassman
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 1986 Goldwing, 1996 CR500, 2011 Ninja 250, 2009 Harley Heritage Softail, 1941 Suzuki Gerbil 250

After getting a ticket for doing 65 in a 55 (which I thought was a 65 btw) and $500 later I decided to just stick to the speed limit. I suppose others are luckier than me or have trust funds they can dip into. For me that ticket stung and I didn't even get any toys for expense. I'm not a happy camper

Old November 10th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #58
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Maybe you guys should research before you judge the OP?
Not judging. I'm just suggesting it's maybe not a safe idea to be going that slow. There's a difference between following the speed limit (or 10 below it) and sticking with the flow of traffic. Like I said previously, last time I was in LA, it was bumper to bumper at 75+ in all lanes, and it was general craziness. I would not decide to drive 55 mph in that situation because it would be a bad idea.

When I drive on the highway, I set the cruise at somewhere between 65 and 70. If I'm getting passed like mad, I'll bump it up 1-2 mph. If I'm passing tons of people quickly, I'll bump it down 1-2 mph. It's all about going with the flow of traffic to minimize your risk and to have other drivers react to you in a predictable manner.

Old November 10th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #59
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcadoo View Post
I am in my Scion xB in the far right lane with my cruise control set at 55MPH.
Anyway, a barrage of single-headlight vehicles approach rapidly in my rear-view. I count about 5-7 bikes. They stay behind me for a good minute and a half, even though the three lanes to our left were wide open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs032 View Post
No offense but you both sound like retarded drivers...55 on 4 lane highway regardless of what lane is too slow and a safety hazard.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
My thoughts exactly, plus it's a safety hazard.
Please tell me what the OP was doing wrong? If those bikers were in such a hurry, they were very capable of taking the faster lanes...

Old November 10th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #60
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yes, the bikers had plenty of space and they were just being a general nuisance. But it's still not smart, imho, to consistently drive 10-15 mph slower than the flow of traffic. That is all.

Old November 10th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #61
Phoenix767
ninjette.org member

Name: Fred

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, CRF 250R

People have the right to drive the speed limit or even a little under for that matter. Having said that... There are very few things out in my daily everyday life that piss me off more than slow drivers. They bring out the worst in me.
Phoenix767 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #62
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix767 View Post
People have the right to drive the speed limit or even a little under for that matter. Having said that... There are very few things out in my daily everyday life that piss me off more than slow drivers. They bring out the worst in me.
With a 2 hour commute to school every other morning which is supposed to take 40 minutes max, I know that feeling. What really rustles my jimmies are people who constantly switch lanes only to get about 3 car spaces ahead. I make sure to give them a big grin once I pass them having stayed in my lane the whole time.

View my log here.
you can tell a lot about how it was treated by how the previous owner looks - Joshorilla
SemperFudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2012, 12:46 AM   #63
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Welcome to California. If you get annoyed at trucks driving 55, you will drive in a constant state of aggravation. Around here, I would guess that the semis are at least 20 percent of the vehicles on the road.

There is no flow of traffic, there is a wide range of speeds, and California drivers just learn to deal with that. It is not a hazard, in this state, to drive 55, and everyone from other states who think they know better, don't live here, and don't understand the dynamics of driving in this state.

Old November 11th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #64
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Quote:
Thank you. Cali is notorious for strictly enforcing a 55 speed limit on all trucks and trailers. The signs are EVERYWHERE. A car doing 55 in the slow lane is fairly common.

Old November 11th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #65
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
Welcome to California. If you get annoyed at trucks driving 55, you will drive in a constant state of aggravation. Around here, I would guess that the semis are at least 20 percent of the vehicles on the road.

There is no flow of traffic, there is a wide range of speeds, and California drivers just learn to deal with that. It is not a hazard, in this state, to drive 55, and everyone from other states who think they know better, don't live here, and don't understand the dynamics of driving in this state.
I am a firm believer that California drivers are the best drivers in the USA when dealing with absurd amounts of traffic volume. However, we are the worst at driving in bad weather.

California freeways have a very different flow from the rest of the country. And semi trucks rarely, if ever, go over 60MPH. It is incredibly rare to see any sort of truck doing 65, unless it is perhaps a decline. CHP is a stickler with the truck speed limit. Thus, I generally hypermile in the two rightmost lanes.

Anyone thinking this is a road hazard might need to live in Cali for a few months. Going 55 in the fast lane is a definite hazard. 55 in the SLOW lane is very acceptable.

Old November 11th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #66
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Well I guess CA is unique in that aspect, because the states I've driven through have traffic flowing at roughly the speed limit or a little above, even trucks. If I were to drive 55 in any lane on the freeway, I would end up as either a) a hood ornament or b) the source of much anger and horn usage.

Old November 21st, 2012, 07:34 PM   #67
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

This reminds me of an experience I had about a month ago. I was driving past Chicago when a group of guys on squids on sport bikes decided to take over the highway. (This is in a construction zone to make things worse.) There was probably about twenty of them who kind of just went across all of the lanes. They then followed up by riding wheelies down I94 at 60-80+ MPH through traffic.

Old November 21st, 2012, 08:34 PM   #68
Bassman
ninjette.org guru

It does make me sad that a few of the irresponsible riders reflect such a bad impression on all bike riders to non riders. After the Love Ride, here in Castaic, a few Harley riders were swerving from slow lane to fast lane in big sweeps for what purpose is lost on me. I'm sure the terrified cagers were none too happy about, nor was I.

Old November 21st, 2012, 10:47 PM   #69
Phoenix767
ninjette.org member

Name: Fred

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, CRF 250R

Love ride?? Really? You got to be kidding
Phoenix767 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2012, 12:06 AM   #70
Bassman
ninjette.org guru

I live there, I ride bikes Harley/Goldwing/Ninja hard not to hang around a bit, lol.

Old November 22nd, 2012, 04:04 AM   #71
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
This reminds me of an experience I had about a month ago. I was driving past Chicago when a group of guys on squids on sport bikes decided to take over the highway. (This is in a construction zone to make things worse.) There was probably about twenty of them who kind of just went across all of the lanes. They then followed up by riding wheelies down I94 at 60-80+ MPH through traffic.
I saw some squids popping wheelies at those speeds before. 5 minutes after they flew past them, we passed them back up. Only, one of them was lying on the ground, with his leg lying on the ground some ten yards away. Hope it was worth it to them.

I'm really starting to hate squids. I drive a truck for a living, and the other day, I almost got into two accidents with stupid squids. The first one involved me taking a right turn, and as always, with a 53 foot trailer, I have to swing a little wide to avoid hitting the curb, and right as I was starting to turn, bringing the trailer in closer to the curb, some squids squeezed through on my right side. A second later and they would have hit the trailer. They were both wearing ducati tshirts, and shorts, and this was after dark, I ride to work in the daylight hours and it was already cool enough that my jacket was comfortable even with the liner in it.

Then, on my way back into town, I go through one stretch of road, 30 miles long, that goes back and forth a few times from being a two lane, undivided highway, to a 4 lane, divided highway. Most of the undivided highway is straight and it's legal to pass, but it curves right before it opens up to a divided highway, and there are signs saying do not pass, indicating that there is a median ahead. Some idiot squid decided to go flying past me, across the double yellow lines, right as the divider begins, so he hit the divider. Just a curb at that point, and his tires barely grazed it, but he hit it, and I thought he was going to wipe out right in front of me, and there would have been nothing I could have done about it. If he had waited, 200 yards down the road he would have gotten his own lane.

Old November 22nd, 2012, 09:25 AM   #72
tunaluna
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): 07 ninja 250

Why were you in the fast lane at 55(unless the speed limit was 50 or under). I would have been pissed if I was driving behind you! But they still should have acted stupid on the bikes.
tunaluna is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2012, 12:05 PM   #73
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaluna View Post
Why were you in the fast lane at 55(unless the speed limit was 50 or under). I would have been pissed if I was driving behind you! But they still should have acted stupid on the bikes.
Who is that directed at? I don't remember anyone on here saying they were in the fast lane at 55 mph...

Old November 22nd, 2012, 12:22 PM   #74
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcadoo View Post
I am a firm believer that California drivers are the best drivers in the USA when dealing with absurd amounts of traffic volume. However, we are the worst at driving in bad weather.

California freeways have a very different flow from the rest of the country. And semi trucks rarely, if ever, go over 60MPH. It is incredibly rare to see any sort of truck doing 65, unless it is perhaps a decline. CHP is a stickler with the truck speed limit. Thus, I generally hypermile in the two rightmost lanes.

Anyone thinking this is a road hazard might need to live in Cali for a few months. Going 55 in the fast lane is a definite hazard. 55 in the SLOW lane is very acceptable.
Cali drivers suck (just like drivers from all the other states). Last time I was there I had to give a few some Boston courtesy.

If you drive your car at 55mph on the highway I bet you ride your 250 at 35.

I think you should drive in the breakdown lane with your 4-way flashers on.

Old November 22nd, 2012, 12:41 PM   #75
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Cali drivers suck (just like drivers from all the other states). Last time I was there I had to give a few some Boston courtesy.

I actually drive my 250 5-10MPH above the speed limit usually. Since I can still get 50+MPG.

Old November 22nd, 2012, 12:54 PM   #76
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post

Well, that's mature.

Old November 22nd, 2012, 02:07 PM   #77
tunaluna
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): 07 ninja 250

(It was directed to the original poster)The left lane is considered the fast lane, at least in Texas it is.
Posted via Mobile Device
tunaluna is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2012, 03:56 PM   #78
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaluna View Post
(It was directed to the original poster)The left lane is considered the fast lane, at least in Texas it is.
Posted via Mobile Device
He was in the right hand lane.

Old November 22nd, 2012, 06:11 PM   #79
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

I typically drive around 55-60 in the right lane here in the Chicago area. No one ever bothers me either. The fast people tend to hang out in the left lanes. You can't get mad at someone for doing the speed limit in the far right lane. I actually used to drive in the left lane going 75-80 and I found that driving slower is a whole lot less stressful and I only loose a couple of minutes in my morning commute.

Old November 22nd, 2012, 06:18 PM   #80
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
I typically drive around 55-60 in the right lane here in the Chicago area. No one ever bothers me either. The fast people tend to hang out in the left lanes. You can't get mad at someone for doing the speed limit in the far right lane. I actually used to drive in the left lane going 75-80 and I found that driving slower is a whole lot less stressful and I only loose a couple of minutes in my morning commute.
I believe the speed limit on I-15 is 70mph not 55, which is dangerously slow, since most people drive 5 to 10 mph faster than the limit.