ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 30th, 2017, 11:18 AM   #1
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

How likely is it...

...that I burned out my instrument cluster bulbs by jump-starting my bike from a running car?

Instrument cluster back-lights were working fine last time I knew. Then I jump started the bike from a car that was running (yeah, not smart -- I was in a hurry and not thinking about what I was doing.)

Rode the bike a few nights ago, and realized that the gauge cluster was dark. Perhaps I did the damage from the jump-start, and didn't notice until recently due to most of my riding being during day-light hours.

Old September 30th, 2017, 11:24 AM   #2
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Check the fuses?
Is the battery charging? Risk is damage to regulator if car's running.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2017, 11:50 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Yeah, with a shunt regulator, if you connect a voltage source that's at a higher potential than the setpoint of the regulator, the regulator would turn on and try to conduct everything to ground, including that voltage source. If the source is has a high current capability like a car's charging system does, the bike's regulator could fail from overcurrent. Once the regulator fails, the voltage could climb and blow bulbs.

See what your bike's battery voltage is with the engine running and revved a little. If it climbs over about 15 volts, you regulator is probably blown.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2017, 01:18 PM   #4
corksil

The bike seems as if it's been running fine since then. Have ridden probably 100 miles since the jump start.

Rectifier would be the device on front left side near the triple clamp.

CDI would be the device under the seat.

Coils would obviously be the coils that the spark plug wires come out of.

Is the regulator a different device entirely or is it something above ^^^ but called by another name? Which device is the regulator?

Will check the battery voltages with the bike running and revved up a bit -- later today.

First priority is a VTEC code on the CR-V.

The struggle continues.

Is there a fuse for instrument cluster?

Old September 30th, 2017, 01:44 PM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

These bikes have the rectifier and regulator built into one unit. If it has failed open (not doing anything at all) the symptoms would be overcharging of the battery and blown incandescent bulbs. That's why I suggested measuring the battery voltage with the engine running and revved a little, watching to see if it creeps up over 15v.

Old September 30th, 2017, 03:47 PM   #6
corksil

Okay, gonna go do that now. Back in a few minutes.

Second question --- if that component has indeed failed, and the battery is getting over charged and the incandescent dash/cluster bulbs blew as a result --- would you say that the bike is unrideable until the rectifier/regulator is replaced? If I can confirm 15v~, I would like to order the new parts asap so the machine can remain in service.

Thanks jim.

Old September 30th, 2017, 04:02 PM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I probably wouldn't ride it that way, because you'll eventually wreck the battery, and there will be at least some risk to the onboard electronics and headlight.

It looks like you can get one fairly quickly, here is one example of many possibilities: https://www.amazon.com/GOOFIT-Voltag.../dp/B01BZIU9X8

Old September 30th, 2017, 04:09 PM   #8
corksil

Pretty sure I have a spare. One failed, bought replacement, so I would have had one before I bought the parts bike -- which also came with one so unless I'm mistaken there are three kicking around here, including the one on the bike which is hopefully not faulty. Okay going to test now.

CRV needs a honda gasket.. vtec oil strainer and the project is stalled til monday :#

Old September 30th, 2017, 04:14 PM   #9
corksil

14.4 at 2krpm....

13.85 at 6.5krpm....

Both were pretty solid numbers without much fluctuation. (~0.01v)

So maybe the jump start burned out the cluster lights but didn't damge the regulator. Possible?

Better yet -- maybe the cluster lights were never working, and I simply did not notice because I don't often ride at night. Then again... I'm pretty sure they did work.

Is there a fuse for gauge cluster lights?

Thanks again!

Old September 30th, 2017, 04:32 PM   #10
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Good about your voltage measurements. If those voltages continue, you'll be OK. I would only be guessing if I tried to figure out what you had the bulbs burn out, etc..

Old September 30th, 2017, 10:24 PM   #11
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
14.4 at 2krpm....

13.85 at 6.5krpm....

Both were pretty solid numbers without much fluctuation. (~0.01v)

So maybe the jump start burned out the cluster lights but didn't damge the regulator. Possible?

Better yet -- maybe the cluster lights were never working, and I simply did not notice because I don't often ride at night. Then again... I'm pretty sure they did work.

Is there a fuse for gauge cluster lights?

Thanks again!
The only thing I found in the service manual is this note. Could the fuse for the instrument cluster be fuse "B"?

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuse Box.jpg (130.5 KB, 3 views)