ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 4th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #1
ninjablk08
ninjette.org guru

Name: oscar

Motorcycle(s): blk ninja 250 2008

friction zone and idle

whats the idle rpm for this bike and can i adjust the friction zone cause it seems like it takes awhile to engage

Old March 4th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #2
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Suggested idle is 1200-1500 RPM but most set it at 1500 since it's easy to see on the new tachometers. Yes the "friction zone" on the clutch is "adjustable" but if you are set up per the manual it may just be a case of getting used to this bike.

How many miles do you have on the bike and has it had it's first oil change yet.

Old March 4th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #3
ninjablk08
ninjette.org guru

3k mile and no to oil change

Old March 4th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #4
kkim

what happened to the 600mile service? it was supposed to be changed then.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #5
OldGuy
Live Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjablk08 View Post
3k mile and no to oil change
Time to learn how to do an oil change. Plenty of DIY information here to help you with that, what oil, and what filter to use.

Start with that and then let's see what the friction zone is doing.

Old March 4th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #6
ninjablk08
ninjette.org guru

i'm not totality sure what previous owner change oil but im guess he did the break in of the motor and im going to change oil to half sintec soon

Old March 4th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #7
kkim

if you don't have any maintenance records to show it was done, assume it wasn't done. I would change the oil/filter ASAP.

Old March 4th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #8
ninjablk08
ninjette.org guru

yes i got new oil and filter ,should i go full sintec after mine next oil change and stay full sintec for the rest of the bikes life

Old March 4th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #9
kkim

I went full synthetic at 1000 miles after a "hard" break in and have not had any problems. what specific oil are you planning to use?

I also did oil changes at 50, 300, 600, 1000 and 2000 miles w/ the first 3 changes using conventional oil.

Old March 4th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #10
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
Yes the "friction zone" on the clutch is "adjustable" but if you are set up per the manual it may just be a case of getting used to this bike.
is it adjustable? not doubting you... just didn't know that. i know you can mess around with the adjustment of the gap between the lever and the holder, but is the friction zone itself adjustable?
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #11
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Wave View Post
but is the friction zone itself adjustable?
what is it that you are asking?

Old March 4th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #12
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

seems like the op was asking if you could adjust at what point the clutch will grab as you release the lever. sooner or later.

i didn't think you could adjust that. but if i am understanding og correctly, it is adjustable.

i think i am just getting confused.

Old March 4th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #13
kkim

it is "sort" of adjustable. though the manual gives you specs on how much end gap you should have at the lever, that amount can be increased a little bit. As that measurement increases, the point at which the clutch will grab will move in closer to the bar. There is only so much you can adjust it as you need to have the clutch fully released when the lever touches the bar. anything in between is fair game, though it's better to set it out farther than you think to compensate for cable stretch and a hot clutch.

Old March 6th, 2009, 04:40 AM   #14
ninjablk08
ninjette.org guru

ok did mine oil change and good thing i did,cause there was not even enough oil in it,put in 3 quarts and still need another, had to go to work will add another tomorrow, then will check friction zone and see if that made it better

Old March 6th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #15
OldGuy
Live Life

Quote:
ok did mine oil change and good thing i did,cause there was not even enough oil in it,put in 3 quarts and still need another, had to go to work will add another tomorrow, then will check friction zone and see if that made it better
Whoa big guy that bike is only supposed to have 1.7 qts in it if you changed the filter or 1.4 qts if you didn't.

DO NOT RUN THE BIKE WITH THAT MUCH OIL IN IT

Do you have an owners manual/service manual? If nothing else check the DIY for oil changes and the thread for specifications.

If you were low on oil that was most likely the cause of your friction zone problems since the clutch discs run in an oil bath.

Old March 6th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #16
py2e
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): 2009 BLACK Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
I have a similar problem (without the friction zone problem). It only has ~10 miles on it, but the oil level is at or below the min level (I checked it on the kick stand after warming up the bike and turning it off). I've added a quart of oil into it, but it doesn't seem to change the oil level at all even after warming it up and shutting it off.

I'm going to recheck the level with bike stand up straight once I get a chance to.

- Pete
py2e is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #17
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

yeah py2e, you are supposed to check the oil level with the bike balancing straight up and down. also, don't check it while it is on a stand. any other way and you won't get an accurate reading.

Old March 6th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #18
kkim

Quote:
did you even bother to read the DIY on changing your oil... or the owner's manual, for that matter?? arm yourself with knowledge before you destroy your bike.

Old March 6th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #19
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

py2e, you probably gotta take some oil out. if you added another quart, then you also shouldn't run your bike until you get an accurate reading of your oil level.

Old March 7th, 2009, 02:21 AM   #20
ninjablk08
ninjette.org guru

ok guys i did what the DYI said to do,after i changed the filter and put everything back on i added the oil till it went to the top line on site glass,started the bike and oil level dropped that was after i used 3 qts of oil, have not added any more cause i have not had time to check level, will check in the morning before i start it let it run for awhile and check level again

Old March 7th, 2009, 02:33 AM   #21
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

wait.... 3 quarts? what position is the bike when you are checking the level? if you change out the filter, then you are only supposed to put 1.7 quarts.

are you checking the bike on the kickstand? you should be checking the bike with both tires on the ground and the bike balanced straight up and down... not leaning one way or the other.

don't take the bike riding if you put in 3 quarts.

Old March 7th, 2009, 02:36 AM   #22
ninjablk08
ninjette.org guru

ok i wont ill recheck level and if too full will drain it till its at top line

Old March 7th, 2009, 02:39 AM   #23
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

what position was the bike when you checked the level of the oil?

Old March 7th, 2009, 02:40 AM   #24
ninjablk08
ninjette.org guru

it was on kick stand

Old March 7th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #25
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

on page 84 of the owner's manual it says to hold the bike level.

it also says that you can siphon out the excess oil using a syringe or something like that....

don't worry man. the only reason why i know that is because i did something similar. i read the diy. i had my bike up on rear stands. i put in about 1.7 quarts of oil in my bike and i couldn't figure out why it was still empty in the window. then i decided to read the manual again. duh... i took the bike off of the stand, held it level and sure enough, the oil filled the window a bit more than halfway.

at least now you know. and knowing is half the battle! yo joe!

Old March 7th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #26
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

i over-serviced my engine also during my last (and first for me) oil change. not by much, half a quart i think. half a quart is STILL half a quart over-serviced. i did the fill and run thing till i was at the proper level of the sight glass, but when kkim and i did my needle shim last weekend at his place, he noticed the level filled the entire site guage. of course i did the change with the bike on the center stand. that, along with not checking the level with the bike off the stand, thinking my garage was level when it obviously isnt and most importantly, not measuring how much oil i actually put in, relying on the site guage instead, are the factors that led to my over-serviced engine.

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #27
ninjablk08
ninjette.org guru

yup i messed up , i don't have service manual ,previous owner didn' find it,so when i went to cycle gear to get oil i ask how much oil i needed they said 3 qts,so that plus not level got me, but alls well now, once again thanks all for the help

Old March 8th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #28
kkim

Quote:
i don't have service manual ,previous owner didn' find it,
you don't get a service manual when you buy a bike, you get an owner's manual, which the previous owner should have given you when he sold you the bike.

Old March 16th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #29
ninjablk08
ninjette.org guru

ok i tested the bike after oil change and its way better and i did a little adjusting of the lever to make it more comfort for my small hand, all i need to do is lower 1 inch and im good to go ,i tried to ride the bike as is and it was just a little tall as im 5' 4" with a 26 inseam