ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 20th, 2013, 09:25 AM   #1
ninjaryda
ninjette.org member

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

Couple of questions

First off, the carb has been a little flakey/finicky. While I had it out to shim the needles, I was gonna chem dip it but that didn't work out because I couldn't get all the screws to break loose. So I figured I'd save that for another time and just use some Seafoam.

Filled the tank full, add the seafoam additive, went for a long highway drive. I held it at about 11k for little over an hour with a one break in between that hour (stopped to get something to eat). No problems, sounded fine when I started her back up.

I get back into town, remove my ear plugs (cause the wind on the highway was loud on the helmet), and notice a loud ~rapid~ chatty noise from the engine. Sounded like it was coming from the valve train, but I could also hear it in the right side of the engine near the tranny area (either way, it was louder on the right side of the engine). I remember that I hadn't changed the oil on the bike since I bought it, even though I only put 1k miles on since then. I was only going to change it since I didn't exactly trust the seller, but I had forgot about it (I check the oil levels all the time, it was full, doesn't leak, and doesn't appear to burn any).

I didn't ride the bike for a day and went to get supplies to change the oil. The oil color itself was fine, a little dark but still a slight golden tinge to it (not completely burnt). No metal-y flake or powder in it.

Until I pulled the screen off. I found what looks like machine shavings in there. They're aluminum (or something else, doesn't stick to a magnet). They don't look like baring pieces or cam lobes or such (I've done my share of classic chevy engine tear downs and rebuilds). They look like.. well, machine shavings. I'm assuming since that I the oil doesn't have any metallic flake or dust, or in the filter either, that this was something previous? The oil cover bolt has some wear marks on it like someone used an over sized wrench or something (i.e. looks like someone changed the oil that didn't know what they were doing - not a professional place or such), so I'm going to assume the original owner did the oil changes himself, but never looked at the screen.

So two questions; does that sound about right on the metal shavings? Maybe something left over from the factory (or else this engine had some work done on it)? And for the value train noise, is it possible the timing chain stretched?

Edit: added pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FILE0522.jpg (53.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg FILE0524.jpg (51.6 KB, 6 views)
ninjaryda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaryda View Post
............So two questions; does that sound about right on the metal shavings? Maybe something left over from the factory (or else this engine had some work done on it)? And for the value train noise, is it possible the timing chain stretched?
Yes and yes.

It is also possible that the valves are out of adjustment, inducing noise.

It is possible that the cam chain is within spec but not properly tensioned due to defective or neglected automatic tensioner or damaged rubber guides (hence metal debris from chain slapping the aluminum case).
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2013, 10:27 AM   #3
ninjaryda
ninjette.org member

I noticed something else. I got my filter, o-ring, and crush washer from Ryde Now (only Kawa dealer in town) and the crush washer is too small for the drain plug. Maybe they stripped out the original hole and re-cut it for something bigger, and this is where the metal shavings came from (they had some sort of make shift gasket on the drain plug). What's the diameter of the original drain plug threads?

Old April 20th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaryda View Post
......What's the diameter of the original drain plug threads?
It is a M12 x 15 mm length.

The washer-gasket is 12 x 22 x 2 mm.

Old April 20th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #5
ninjaryda
ninjette.org member

Okay, the washer is correct (12mm ID). And the bolt is not (13.8mm OD on the threads). They definitely re-cut it for a larger plug instead of helicoiling it. That's most likely where the shavings came from. That just leaves the valve train noise (I already adjusted the valves a couple of weeks back).

Old April 20th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Excellent catch !!!

The tensioner should be serviced each time that the valves are.

Note: Do not turn the engine while the tensioner is out.

This related thread shows some tips about the tensioner:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ner#post666203

Old April 20th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #7
ninjaryda
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Excellent catch !!!

The tensioner should be serviced each time that the valves are.

Note: Do not turn the engine while the tensioner is out.

This related thread shows some tips about the tensioner:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ner#post666203
Oouuu.. good info. Thanks

Old April 20th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

You are welcome