ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Notices

Old July 16th, 2017, 06:02 PM   #1
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Momaru and Saturn have a spill

So after spending the week at California Superbike (At The Ridge specifically), Momaru and I decided to spend Saturday at Pacific. I've only been once and Paul never has -- since we're heading to Austin in a few weeks we thought we'd take the time to refine our 'learning a track' skills.

We signed up for a "Get to Know Your Bike" day in the 100 (Relaxed) group. Despite the rules saying our group only allowed outside passes in turns and a 10 foot bubble at all times we were both having a lot of close passes, inside passes, etc.

We were generally trailing one another, giving enough room between us so faster riders could pass safely one at a time. In session 3 a rider passes me and his lines immediately made me nervous and I backed down on the throttle a bit. Then I see him going for a very risky pass on Momaru and you can even hear me roll off the throttle before the impact occurs.

Momaru went for a tumble to the left and Saturn to the right. He's okay, but needs a new helmet and gloves plus some suit repairs. Saturn's right side is pretty torn up but probably about as good as could be hoped for after an incident like this.

We should've read the warning signs earlier in the day about the rules flouting and just checked out, but sometimes that's only obvious in hindsight.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old July 16th, 2017, 06:25 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Hmm.... First, I'm sorry about your bike, and glad that Paul's OK. I see your point of view on the rules violations, but I don't see your point of view about giving faster riders room. In much of the video, it looks to me that you and Paul are using the entire track, from turn in point to apex and back out to exit, at a relatively slow speed. It makes it challenging on a windy track like that to ever find a passing point, given those rules of "never come close" and "never come inside".

This doesn't vindicate the other rider, he's responsible for making a safe pass in all conditions no matter what other riders are doing. He made a poor call, likely out of lack of skill combined with a lack of patience. But I can see how it happened, and given the same circumstances, would potentially happen again. If you're not at pace with whatever the other riders are doing on the track, whether in the slowest group or the fastest, it becomes even more necessary to be careful and courteous for the faster (and slower) riders. Don't apex the corner at a slow speed if you don't need to, especially if you hear another bike coming up fast. Don't run the bike all the way out to the edge of the track if you don't need to at that speed.

If that track org is really a free-for-all and bike speeds and rider skills are all over the place, then I get the concern, and would likely spend my track dollars elsewhere.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 16th, 2017, 06:39 PM   #3
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Hmm.... First, I'm sorry about your bike, and glad that Paul's OK. I see your point of view on the rules violations, but I don't see your point of view about giving faster riders room. In much of the video, it looks to me that you and Paul are using the entire track, from turn in point to apex and back out to exit, at a relatively slow speed. It makes it challenging on a windy track like that to ever find a passing point, given those rules of "never come close" and "never come inside".
The 'giving room' came from Superbike -- more than once the two of us came up on a "Conga Line" where to pass one you had to pass the whole group, so we gave room to allow to pass us one at a time.

Our speed was not high but it may be misleading in the video (classic 'fisheye lens' effect) -- Paul was definitely wringing out the Ninjette when he could and we /were/ in the beginner/relaxed group. In video not posted, the two of us are frequently coming up on the rear of other bikes and waiting for our opportunity to pass, I'd say we were definitely 'in line' with the group's speed. We're also only posting on the backside -- there are a number of 'easy pass' straights and turns (e.g. 8 or 2) that he could've waited for (in the case of 8, for just a few seconds).

Old July 16th, 2017, 06:49 PM   #4
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Not to belabor the point but as a case in point Paul was 'hanging back' in our first clip of turn 7 (with the 3 riders in front of us) and waiting/looking for an opportunity to pass them.

The 'slowest' was probably when I was leading, since I was having to guess what the ninjette could keep up with on a much faster bike.

Old July 16th, 2017, 09:32 PM   #5
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

If they allow that kind of passing, that reflects poorly on the track day organizer.

You should ask the rider if he's happy with his trophy. *sarcastic*
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.