ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 13th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #1
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Name: Trent

Motorcycle(s): 2004 YZF-600r ---- 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Upgrading

So I'm sure this is a very common question, with the answer being "if you have to ask, you're not ready", but I don't have to ask. I know my opinion but without announcing it I want to see others!

Basically, I'm a somewhat new motorcyclist. I have just 500 miles under my belt and one month of experience. I have taken the MSF course and am riding with a permit right now because I'm a young guy. Motorcycles have taken over my life and I've fell for the addiction, but it's my hobby and form of transportation so I can't beat that!

Right now I have a 93 honda accord that I don't drive anymore after getting my motorcycle. I also have a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250. It's been dropped on both sides, has overheat issues, and is all around bad shape. I was on a limited budget of $2000 at the time of purchase so I picked up the bike for $1800, and may I say I'm glad I did. I spend some weekends working on the bike and fixing it up, so that's quite fun.

My problem!! I am interested in selling my car and bike, and upgrading. I live in south Arizona so there is not much of an off season for motorcycles. I really want to get a (forgive me!) GSXR 600 or a Ninja zx6r, because although I love fixing up the bike, it's never going to be something I can make my own. I want a nice bike that I can put money into with new exhaust, lighting, etc.. you know... mod it to make it my own. I can't do that with the bike I have now because I know it's just a temporary. So, for an 5"11 130 pound kid and the current amount of experience I have (500 miles, 1 month, MSF, mature when it comes to riding... I'm not the stupid kid flying through traffic, I go speed limit and such) do you think I should go for the 600cc GSXR or ZX6R and save the pain of having to upgrade again soon, or should I go for a 08+ Ninja 250r that looks nice and is something I'm willing to make my own.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?!! Think i should just tough it out on my current bike, and after XX amount of time/miles I should get a XX ?
For about $800 more I can sell my bike and upgrade to a used but new-gen Ninja 250, or I can sell car and bike and get either a NEW 250, 600, or a used 250/600.

Old May 13th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #2
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

I say either tough it out on your current bike for THOUSANDS of miles, I personally believe you should have at least 3-5k before thinking you're ready to upgrade, or getting a new gen 250. The good thing about new gens is that they hold their resale value very well so if you're good to it then you may not lose much money on it a year from now.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #3
LV_Jillan
ninjette.org member

Name: Jillian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenged7Fold View Post
So I'm sure this is a very common question, with the answer being "if you have to ask, you're not ready", but I don't have to ask. I know my opinion but without announcing it I want to see others!

Basically, I'm a somewhat new motorcyclist. I have just 500 miles under my belt and one month of experience. I have taken the MSF course and am riding with a permit right now because I'm a young guy. Motorcycles have taken over my life and I've fell for the addiction, but it's my hobby and form of transportation so I can't beat that!

Right now I have a 93 honda accord that I don't drive anymore after getting my motorcycle. I also have a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250. It's been dropped on both sides, has overheat issues, and is all around bad shape. I was on a limited budget of $2000 at the time of purchase so I picked up the bike for $1800, and may I say I'm glad I did. I spend some weekends working on the bike and fixing it up, so that's quite fun.

My problem!! I am interested in selling my car and bike, and upgrading. I live in south Arizona so there is not much of an off season for motorcycles. I really want to get a (forgive me!) GSXR 600 or a Ninja zx6r, because although I love fixing up the bike, it's never going to be something I can make my own. I want a nice bike that I can put money into with new exhaust, lighting, etc.. you know... mod it to make it my own. I can't do that with the bike I have now because I know it's just a temporary. So, for an 5"11 130 pound kid and the current amount of experience I have (500 miles, 1 month, MSF, mature when it comes to riding... I'm not the stupid kid flying through traffic, I go speed limit and such) do you think I should go for the 600cc GSXR or ZX6R and save the pain of having to upgrade again soon, or should I go for a 08+ Ninja 250r that looks nice and is something I'm willing to make my own.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?!! Think i should just tough it out on my current bike, and after XX amount of time/miles I should get a XX ?
For about $800 more I can sell my bike and upgrade to a used but new-gen Ninja 250, or I can sell car and bike and get either a NEW 250, 600, or a used 250/600.
Sounds like you know what you want but just remember the throttle is way less forgiving on a bigger bike! If you respect it you will be fine. However if you can keep your car and sell the bike and just get a new gen 250 and save for a year I suggest that! There will always be a time you will need a car regardless of where you are! Sounds like you are being smart about it just be careful and as I said if you respect the bike it will respect you!

Old May 13th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #4
LV_Jillan
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
I say either tough it out on your current bike for THOUSANDS of miles, I personally believe you should have at least 3-5k before thinking you're ready to upgrade, or getting a new gen 250. The good thing about new gens is that they hold their resale value very well so if you're good to it then you may not lose much money on it a year from now.
Good call! 250s always sell well!

Old May 13th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #5
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

I know it isn't nice riding around on a bike that isn't cosmetically nice, but I would ride your 250 for a while longer. Just get some more miles under your belt. Maybe even get your first crash out of the way on this bike. It would suck to make a noob mistake on a brand new zx6r or Gixxer.

But do what you want.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #6
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

If you get a bigger SS bike right now, you will probably hurt yourself and the bike. Id vote for the new gen 250 option. Its really hard to hear or read it, but your not even close to ready yet for a super sport but you are off to a good start
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #7
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Quote:
Right, I have this urge to get a GSXR600 or a ZX6R, but I'm not sure why. I don't need the power. I know i'll be more than happy no matter which way I go, so I should be safe and just get the new-gen 250r. Right, or no?

I really want to upgrade regardless if it's to the same cc or not, just because I want to do some mods to the bike, but not to my junk bike I have now.

The next question would be if you suggest I stick with my junk 250 until I start work next week and hold on to my car, selling the bike and using money from work to pay for new-gen, or if I should sell my car ($1200). And of course, new or used new-gen? Should I get a financed new 250 or just pick up another used, but better quality with less problems this time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
I know it isn't nice riding around on a bike that isn't cosmetically nice, but I would ride your 250 for a while longer. Just get some more miles under your belt. Maybe even get your first crash out of the way on this bike. It would suck to make a noob mistake on a brand new zx6r or Gixxer.

But do what you want.
I have dropped the bike on a turn, a few days ago actually. Of course, the road was covered in gravel. Lucky me, huh?

Old May 13th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #8
Toper
ninjette.org member

Name: Toper

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

500m/1mo experience and don't even have your license yet? Might want to look up insurance rates on a 600 first before you think about going that route.
Toper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #9
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toper View Post
500m/1mo experience and don't even have your license yet? Might want to look up insurance rates on a 600 first before you think about going that route.
I have. This is my hobby/transportation so it's pretty much the only thing I use money on, other than lunch/gas

As I said, now that everyone is saying the 250 new-gen, I have some more options.

I can sell my bike ($2000) and car ($1000), or just the bike.. and get either a NEW (financed) or used (probably paid in full) Ninja 250. Any suggestions?

Old May 13th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #10
LV_Jillan
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I have. This is my hobby/transportation so it's pretty much the only thing I use money on, other than lunch/gas

As I said, now that everyone is saying the 250 new-gen, I have some more options.

I can sell my bike ($2000) and car ($1000), or just the bike.. and get either a NEW (financed) or used (probably paid in full) Ninja 250. Any suggestions?
Grb a used one . You will over pay for a new one if you are wanting to trade up and modify it! Best plan but used get full coverage ins and ride it for 5k miles

Old May 13th, 2012, 11:30 PM   #11
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Do NOT finance a 250. A dealer will rape you on the price, and it wont be pretty. Do get a new gen 250 and mod it tastefully, all the while keeping all of your OEM parts.

Also, keep this in mind. You say you're a young kid which is why you have your riding permit. How's insurance? I know my insurance company would want my soul if I got a SS. Can you afford payments on a bike AND somewhere in the ballpark of $2,000/year in insurance?

Old May 13th, 2012, 11:38 PM   #12
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Quote:
Do NOT finance a 250. A dealer will rape you on the price, and it wont be pretty. Do get a new gen 250 and mod it tastefully, all the while keeping all of your OEM parts.

Also, keep this in mind. You say you're a young kid which is why you have your riding permit. How's insurance? I know my insurance company would want my soul if I got a SS. Can you afford payments on a bike AND somewhere in the ballpark of $2,000/year in insurance?
I'd be on a tight budget with a SS, but I could make it work for my addiction

So here's what I'm thinking. Honestly, I hate my car so I'm going to look into selling that and and my bike for a total of about $3000. You guys are saying to not finance the bike, so I have a few options. Should I buy a used or new 250? If it's new I know it has no problems and such, but is more expensive. I could get a brand new 2012 ninja and a loan from my family, paying for the bike in full and then paying them back and cutting out the interest and such. OR! I could get a used new-gen Ninja and just give it a really good test drive to make sure everything is good. With the money I save, I'd be able to do more mods and fix any problems that arise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV_Jillan View Post
Grb a used one . You will over pay for a new one if you are wanting to trade up and modify it! Best plan buy used get full coverage ins and ride it for 5k miles
Right. I'm thinking if I can get a nice 250 with no problems and mod it then I will want to keep it for a while. I have full coverage now so that'd transfer over. Basically you're saying to buy a used 250 new-gen. Hmm....

Old May 13th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #13
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Always get used. Don't get hosed on a price for a new one. Even OTD and non financed you would be paying way more than you should.

Buy the bike and use the extra money to go see A7X live. I've seen them 15 times including Jimmy's last show ever and went backstage at the last show.

Get on my level bro.

Old May 14th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #14
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Quote:
Always get used. Don't get hosed on a price for a new one. Even OTD and non financed you would be paying way more than you should.

Buy the bike and use the extra money to go see A7X live. I've seen them 15 times including Jimmy's last show ever and went backstage at the last show.

Get on my level bro.
Wow, lucky you! I wish I would have been there. I played the drums for a large portion of my childhood and Jimmy was my idol I saw them a while back for the Rockstar Uproar but it just wasn't the same without him.

Any ways, what would be an acceptable price range for a used Ninja 250r? I want to find one undropped with no problems.

Old May 14th, 2012, 12:36 AM   #15
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

in your area? Look to pay around $3,000 I think. You can always ask on here to see if you're getting a good deal.

My first 10 A7X shows were with Jimmy, they were all awesome. Love those guys.

Old May 14th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #16
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Quote:
in your area? Look to pay around $3,000 I think. You can always ask on here to see if you're getting a good deal.

My first 10 A7X shows were with Jimmy, they were all awesome. Love those guys.
Alright, back when I was purchasing my first bike I went and looked at a (2009?) Green Ninja 250r with the black stripped lower fairings. Looked/ran very good, but didn't have the money at the time.

And ah, awesome. I had a buddy do this really awesome A7X painting that I have in my room. I can send a pic tomorrow if you want to see it

Old May 14th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #17
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Yeah that'd be cool, PM me

Old May 14th, 2012, 12:28 PM   #18
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Get the used 250 and learn how to ride the bike. There is a big difference in being able to get the bike from point A to point B and actually being able to ride it.

You mentioned dropping the bike on gravel a while back. Imagine doing that to a new (or used) 600.

The idea behind getting practice on a smaller more forgiving bike has to do with the fact that while you may ride perfectly fine and be able to handle a larger machine most of the time, there is always the possibility of you getting in over your head and skill level. That is where the problem lies, and the reason most experienced riders will always push riders towards more forgiving options like the Ninja 250.

Old May 14th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #19
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

500 miles is nothing. That can be done in day pretty easily.

You need some real world practice.

I'd just keep the current bike and learn. Cheapest solution. Conisder a new bike after you actually learn how to ride.
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #20
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
If I was you I'd buy an almost-new (<1000 miles) ninjette. Ride it lots and lots and have great fun. When you feel experienced and have learnt from your ninjette get the sexy gixxer

Because I'm me I'm staying with my ninjette for prolly 3+ years. It's fast, reliable and pretty! What more could I want? (ok... a more rumbly engine would be nice, but then I'd miss the discussions with my ninjette. You can't have conversations with a rumbly big engine bike, but you can with the ninjette and its squeak tank).
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #21
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by etiainen View Post
500 miles is nothing. That can be done in day pretty easily.

You need some real world practice.

I'd just keep the current bike and learn. Cheapest solution. Conisder a new bike after you actually learn how to ride.
This. I've done 1,200 in a day, but straight-line Interstate riding isn't much "practice."
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #22
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

True, it isn't, but it is an excersise in mental endurance. I'm sure you know that now.

Anyways, I am not advocating just riding on the interstate. I assume that's obvious.

However, to the OP. The point of these examples is to show you that you really don't have much experience at all. Just because you have learned the basic operations of a motorcycle mean that you are ready for a 600.

There's a lot more to riding than just learning the controls.

Old May 14th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #23
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by etiainen View Post
True, it isn't, but it is an excersise in mental endurance. I'm sure you know that now.

Anyways, I am not advocating just riding on the interstate. I assume that's obvious.

However, to the OP. The point of these examples is to show you that you really don't have much experience at all. Just because you have learned the basic operations of a motorcycle mean that you are ready for a 600.

There's a lot more to riding than just learning the controls.
Right, I'm aware of that. Just wanting something I really enjoy riding on and don't have to maintain as much as my 250. My current 250 is extremely scratched, overheats, and the tires don't hold pressure. I just want to get something like a new 250 that I can ride without as much worry and looks cosmetically good. So, a ~1000 miles used Ninja 250 is the way to go?

Old May 14th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #24
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Defintely over a 600.

You could also try putting some money into your 250. Probably still less than getting another bike.

Old May 14th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #25
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Right, I'm aware of that. Just wanting something I really enjoy riding on and don't have to maintain as much as my 250. My current 250 is extremely scratched, overheats, and the tires don't hold pressure. I just want to get something like a new 250 that I can ride without as much worry and looks cosmetically good. So, a ~1000 miles used Ninja 250 is the way to go?
So spend a couple of hundred on it, fresh oil & coolant, new tyres, then:

Learn to ride it like ya stole it, then move up (once you have the skills move up fairly quickly, bad habbits can do set in otherwise... ask me how I know)

Dropping an already rashed bike doesn't hurt your pride or wallet as much as dropping a minty fresh one, as for dropping a financed one well...

BTW I've put up double your total mileage in a fun weekend (and for that matter, your total mileage in an Irish wet weekend), and that was all on backroads, no motorway (highway). And scratches add character...
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #26
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
So spend a couple of hundred on it, fresh oil & coolant, new tyres, then:

Learn to ride it like ya stole it, then move up (once you have the skills move up fairly quickly, bad habbits can do set in otherwise... ask me how I know)

Dropping an already rashed bike doesn't hurt your pride or wallet as much as dropping a minty fresh one, as for dropping a financed one well...

BTW I've put up double your total mileage in a fun weekend (and for that matter, your total mileage in an Irish wet weekend), and that was all on backroads, no motorway (highway). And scratches add character...
Right, makes sense. Thanks for the advice guys. Basically I've come to the conclusion that if my job offer goes through then I'm selling my bike and getting a new-gen with less problems. Then i'll put money into that and mod it as my own.

Old May 16th, 2012, 06:09 AM   #27
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

One question; are you good with your wrist?

If not, don't bother upgrading.

You literally twist your wrist by 1 mm on a 600 and it'll pull, on a corner, anymore accidental twist than that will send you flying.

You don't have to reply, just ask yourself tho,, and be honest.

Old May 16th, 2012, 06:37 AM   #28
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Get a new gen and budget some mods

After about 2k miles I was considering a downgrade as well but after a few mods I'm really glad I didn't.

re-jet, full system exhaust, rosso II tires, some clip-ons, and rear set adjusters and she feels like a whole different beast. Still heaps cheaper than any 600cc to with mega easy/cheap maintenance, insurance, and gas.
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #29
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUc View Post
Get a new gen and budget some mods

After about 2k miles I was considering a downgrade as well but after a few mods I'm really glad I didn't.

re-jet, full system exhaust, rosso II tires, some clip-ons, and rear set adjusters and she feels like a whole different beast. Still heaps cheaper than any 600cc to with mega easy/cheap maintenance, insurance, and gas.

akima is offline   Reply With Quote