ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old April 11th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #1
ninjaryda
ninjette.org member

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

Clip ons

I bought some Chinese clip ons ($50 shipped). I read that there's gonna be clearance issues with these, but I have some ideas of how to fix this (on the fairing and instrument cluster side of things).

Is there anything I should know about before hand, when aligning these? Does the angle matter much, compared to the stock angle? I didn't spend the money on the woodcraft ones, because they look almost identical (clip ons, not the low rise ones) and figured that it'd be a waste if they end up hitting the gas tank. Which brings me to my next question; is there any issues with extending the handle bars out further? As more towards the front of the bike? The reason I ask, is that I have a strong feeling that I'm just gonna end up machining my own clip on bracket (and reuse these bars), but one that sits further forward.

One thing that does piss me off, is why can't the cheap chinese one's be two piece like the woodcraft ones? That sucks that I have to take off the triple tree bracket to install them :/

Edit:

Holy crap. Removing the triple tree was cake, but everything else... f*****. I cut a lot out the front fairing, but it still needs more. These clip ons feel awesome (well, sitting on the bike). Heh, I hope I like them when actually riding the bike. I have them set really low ( 6 inches or more, lower than stock). The break line for the front break is gonna need to be modified/shortened. Clutch cable needs a new 'bent' metal part (the bend is too sharp now). The instrument cluster isn't going to fit back in as it. Probably gonna have to chop it up and make something new for the gauges. On the plus side (beside the awesome lower feel), I can actually see out the mirrors instead of just seeing myself in them ;>_>

After I finish cutting the front upper fairing, gonna need to find away to attach some plastic back in (the top lid parts). I'm hoping something other than JB weld would help with this (or plastic welding with some bondo).

Last futzed with by ninjaryda; April 11th, 2013 at 09:06 PM.
ninjaryda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #2
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec, 2007 Ninja 250R

Pics or it didn't happen.
Posted via Mobile Device
StephenA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #3
ninjaryda
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenA View Post
Pics or it didn't happen.
Posted via Mobile Device
The clutch cable is preventing me from mounting the new gauge to the triple tree, at a lower place. Need to figure out how I'm gonna modify that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FILE0502.jpg (54.4 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (54.0 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (54.1 KB, 104 views)

Old April 13th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #4
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Try mounting them on top of the triples. Also, why would you take off the temp guage? That's a very useful gauge.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #5
ninjaryda
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Try mounting them on top of the triples.
'Was trying that out right now. Seems there's a problem with the speedometer cable getting caught on part of the light mounting bracket. I might try grinding this area. Or I might just separate the tach and speedo, and just run the tach for now until I can figure out something else.

Quote:
Also, why would you take off the temp guage? That's a very useful gauge.
The temp gauge and the four idiot lights will be relocated. Useful? I'd definitely put them under necessary Just haven't gotten to that yet.

Old April 13th, 2013, 07:30 AM   #6
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Good. Just checking

Old April 13th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #7
ninjaryda
ninjette.org member

Took it out for a ride today; holy crap. It's really aggressive in the lean now. I can actually lay my stomach on the gas tank with no problem, if I lean just a little bit (I imagine this will come in handy for long interstate rides). I love it.

Gonna cut the tach out and assemble a small cluster gauge without the speedo for now. Don't necessarily need the speedo (I can tell how fast I'm going in the first four gears just by the RPM). I saw that people have attached the Trail Tech digital cluster to the 250r, so I'll eventually go that route.

I'm also planning on putting on a different upper fairing eventually. Either from an old 1990 ZXR 250 (preferred) or a 1993 Honda CBR900. I love that classic dual round headlight look.

Last futzed with by ninjaryda; April 14th, 2013 at 07:56 PM.

Old April 14th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #8
ninjaryda
ninjette.org member

Some updated pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2013-04-14-19h15m13s105.jpg (73.1 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2013-04-14-19h16m43s1.jpg (70.0 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2013-04-14-19h17m05s226.jpg (57.7 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2013-04-14-19h17m21s122.jpg (75.4 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2013-04-14-19h17m38s19.jpg (51.9 KB, 173 views)

Old April 14th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #9
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Franken-gauges!!

Old April 14th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #10
ninjaryda
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Franken-gauges!!
Pretty much

Forgot to mention, having the handle bars that low... it *needs* a throttle tube mod/replacement. Your wrists are bent on such an angle, that you don't have a lot of throw for getting on the throttle. Now I know why the R6 throttle tube is so large in comparison.

Old April 18th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

OK, I gotta follow this thread. Looks great, man!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #12
iplante
I ride like a granny

Name: Isabelle

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R - EX250F

So, why did you buy those instead of the Woodcraft lowered risers? Did you want an even more forward riding position, or were you trying to get something cheaper?

Personally, I really don't like what happened to your gauges.. If that's the trade-off, I would pay $100 more to get the Woodcraft ones.

Old April 18th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #13
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaryda View Post
Some updated pics:
Nice work!!

But just be aware that those chinese clip-on's are kinda crappy. The woodcraft design is much better.

My friend has those chinese clip-on's on his 250. He pushed hard in a turn and the clip-on moved forward. Could have ended badly. I don't know if the bolts loosened over time or if the design just sucks. With the woodcraft clip-on's you have four bolts clamping onto the forks. You can just tell that the WC clip-ons are better quality when you see both side by side.

Quote:
Try mounting them on top of the triples. Also, why would you take off the temp guage? That's a very useful gauge.
It's overrated. I just listen for the fan to kick on, and feel for when the bike is getting hot. That is how I know it is running hot. And really, my bike only has problems staying cool when it is about 90+ degrees and sitting in traffic.

I'd say that the only useful gauge is the tachometer. That is the only gauge that I miss and really wish I had. But I can live without it.

Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #14
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
It's overrated. I just listen for the fan to kick on, and feel for when the bike is getting hot.
Overheating is not what I'm worried about. Pretty sure the bike will shut itself off if it overheats [citation needed]. I'm more worried about making sure it's up to temp before I wail on it. We get temps all the way from 20-95 and I want to make sure it's warmed up.

Funny part is, I would be perfectly fine without a tach. Just give me a light that turns on once it hits 12,500 rpm and I'll do the rest. That's the one I never look at.

Old April 18th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #15
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Overheating is not what I'm worried about. Pretty sure the bike will shut itself off if it overheats [citation needed]. I'm more worried about making sure it's up to temp before I wail on it. We get temps all the way from 20-95 and I want to make sure it's warmed up.

Funny part is, I would be perfectly fine without a tach. Just give me a light that turns on once it hits 12,500 rpm and I'll do the rest. That's the one I never look at.
Oh, didn't think about that. I just take it easy after I first start the bike. My car doesn't even have a real temp gauge. It just has a light that goes off once it's up to temp. The KLX just has a light to let you know it is overheated. Haha. The way I know the KLX is up to temp is when it starts running smoothly without the choke. Same goes for the ninja too. I can just feel when the bike is up to temp, if that makes any sense.

And I guess I should have stated why I want a tach. It's so I know when I am close to redline. I can usually feel/hear when the bike stops making power, but once you go 60 or so you can hardly hear the engine. So, I too would be just fine with a shift light.

Old April 18th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #16
ninjaryda
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplante View Post
So, why did you buy those instead of the Woodcraft lowered risers? Did you want an even more forward riding position, or were you trying to get something cheaper?
I was originally gonna just make them myself (my brother has a hobbyist machine shop in his backyard with a bridgeport mill), when I saw these for $50 shipped, I figured it was worth it. I didn't want the low risers from woodcraft as they sat too high and cost too much. The 'regular' clip ons from woodcraft aren't any different than these, other than they are two-piece which means I wouldn't have to take off the triple tree. So yeah, price was pretty much why I went with these knock offs. But it's the style that I wanted as well.

Quote:
Personally, I really don't like what happened to your gauges.. If that's the trade-off, I would pay $100 more to get the Woodcraft ones.
That's a temp solution until I get around to buying a trail tech aftermarket module. There's just not enough room in there for the stock ones. The front of the fairing and light are too close to the neck, compared to other sport bikes, which puts the gauge cluster closer as well.

I Loooooove this feel though. I won't go back. It's even more fun to ride now and it's easier to lean more aggressive in turns now as well (feels more natural on the leaning). I have a friend that rides an R6 and he took my bike out for a spin after this mod, and said he loved it. He had a couple of 250's in the past and loved how agile they were, but never had them this aggressive on the forward lean.

Quote:
Nice work!!
Thanks It's not finished yet. I need to cut a little more on the front, clean up other cut areas, and abs weld some sheets of plastic back in so it has a lid like the original stock setup did. But I'm taking a break mean time and just having fun with it.

Quote:
But just be aware that those chinese clip-on's are kinda crappy. The woodcraft design is much better.

My friend has those chinese clip-on's on his 250. He pushed hard in a turn and the clip-on moved forward. Could have ended badly. I don't know if the bolts loosened over time or if the design just sucks. With the woodcraft clip-on's you have four bolts clamping onto the forks. You can just tell that the WC clip-ons are better quality when you see both side by side.
I've pushed on them pretty hard and smacked them, and they haven't moved. But yeah, gonna keep an eye on the bolts (I should probably put some lock thread on them).

Old May 9th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #17
motoKRAKEN
ninjette.org member

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250R

Can someone explain to me how clip on's work exactly/what they change/do and if they are worth the monies? ive been looking online for some but i dont see how they are supposed to fit the pre-gens.
motoKRAKEN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #18
inkyben
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250, 2008 zx10, 2003 r6, 2008 187cc drag bike.

They are basically a set of handlebars that you can adjust to your liking and they mount to the forks, or "clip on".
I'm throwing a set on mine since I went the streetfighter route for design.
inkyben is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #19
motoKRAKEN
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkyben View Post
They are basically a set of handlebars that you can adjust to your liking and they mount to the forks, or "clip on".
gotcha where would i find some for the pre gen models?

Old May 9th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #20
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoKRAKEN View Post
gotcha where would i find some for the pre gen models?
Real clip-ons won't fit on the pregen with stock fairings and tank. The fairing and tank will cause clearance issues. Woodcraft has made lowered risers for the pregen. They look like this:

and they can be found here:
http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/cgi-bin...on&key=12-0236

Old May 9th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #21
motoKRAKEN
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Real clip-ons won't fit on the pregen with stock fairings and tank. The fairing and tank will cause clearance issues. Woodcraft has made lowered risers for the pregen. They look like this:

and they can be found here:
http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/cgi-bin...on&key=12-0236
how much of a difference do they make when riding....main issue im looking to help is im tall, like 5' 11" tall so by adjusting my handlebars im looking to get a more comfortable riding position.

Old May 9th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #22
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
They're a little further forward, a little lower, a little more angled down, and a little wider. I wouldn't really call that more comfortable...

I'm just under 5'10". They make it a touch easier to get into that sporty position and get your head down while in turns.

What is it about the stock bars that you find uncomfortable?

Old May 9th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #23
motoKRAKEN
ninjette.org member

Quote:
They're a little further forward, a little lower, a little more angled down, and a little wider. I wouldn't really call that more comfortable...

I'm just under 5'10". They make it a touch easier to get into that sporty position and get your head down while in turns.

What is it about the stock bars that you find uncomfortable?
well i dont even know if it is the sock bars, but i find my riding position a little cramped my shoulders hurt after an hour or so, its annoying....with the brackets did you have to do any drilling? im prolly gonna order them but on the website under instructions it says something about drilling a hole.

Old May 9th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #24
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
You drill a hole in the bar itself so that the controls don't spin around. It's really simple. Here's a DIY:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Install...lowered_risers

If your shoulders are stiff, $5 says it's because they're tense. Relax them. Getting more aggressive bars is not going to help your posture if you're riding tense. Floppy. Think floppy. Do the chicken dance to loosen up if you need to.

Old May 9th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #25
motoKRAKEN
ninjette.org member

Quote:
You drill a hole in the bar itself so that the controls don't spin around. It's really simple. Here's a DIY:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Install...lowered_risers

If your shoulders are stiff, $5 says it's because they're tense. Relax them. Getting more aggressive bars is not going to help your posture if you're riding tense. Floppy. Think floppy. Do the chicken dance to loosen up if you need to.
you are prolly right. that link you gave me does it come with the bars? or is it the risers only?

Old May 9th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #26
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yes, it comes with bars.

Old May 9th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #27
Jono

I have the 36mm WoodCraft clip-on's on my ninja and it's a love/hate relationship.

Even without fairings these bikes don't really work with clip-on's. But that doesn't stop me because I love the low bars. Riding a stock Ninja 250 now just feels goofy. Lower bars completely change your riding experience. You get more front end feel. I love it. But then there are the negatives. You can't lock the wheel to the left because the bars smack the gas tank before stock full lock. It's only really annoying in slow tight riding situations. And trying to park the bike in certain situations. And you have to be careful that you don't hit the handlebars into the tank because you will either honk the horn or press the starter button while turning the bars. This makes you look like a complete idiot or ass depending on the situation. Haha.

Overall, I really enjoy the somewhat SS riding position but I'd have to say it's not really any more comfortable. Probably less. The bike just wasn't designed for clip-on's.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 06:00 PM   #28
lowdown112
ninjette.org member

Name: Keith

Motorcycle(s): 01 Ninja 250, 98 Honda CR80, 79 Harley Sportster

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkyben View Post
Is that why he cut into his fairing? Or do you have to lower the front to make the clip ons fit stock? Imnew to clip ons too.
lowdown112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2013, 06:15 PM   #29
lowdown112
ninjette.org member

Name: Keith

Motorcycle(s): 01 Ninja 250, 98 Honda CR80, 79 Harley Sportster

This is how low i want mine.
lowdown112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #30
ninjaryda
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdown112 View Post
Is that why he cut into his fairing? Or do you have to lower the front to make the clip ons fit stock? Imnew to clip ons too.
Yup, you have to cut the fairing, or replace it (mod another brand or model to fit it), or remove it all together (street fighter style or cafe racer style). If you look at any of the 'super' sport bikes, you'll see a large area is spaced out for what would be this height clip on - normally on those bikes. My clip ons sit almost half an inch below the top triple tree (the gap on the fork), as well as being angled downwards instead of straight.

I love how aggressive the lean is now. And personally, I think the ninja handles much better now, too. Leaning in tight corners feels more natural now as well.

Old July 10th, 2013, 07:00 AM   #31
rugbert
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja ex250

Quote:

Overall, I really enjoy the somewhat SS riding position but I'd have to say it's not really any more comfortable. Probably less. The bike just wasn't designed for clip-on's.

Truer words, I just installed my clipons and turned my bike into a street fighter.
I'm 5'11 and maybe I need to raise my clipons a bit but man they're killing my wrists. My back isn't feeling so great either.

I also cant check my blind spots as easily, I might be reinstalling my stock bars soon.
rugbert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #32
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbert View Post
Truer words, I just installed my clipons and turned my bike into a street fighter.
I'm 5'11 and maybe I need to raise my clipons a bit but man they're killing my wrists. My back isn't feeling so great either.

I also cant check my blind spots as easily, I might be reinstalling my stock bars soon.
You need to hold up your upper body with your abs and back. It also helps to squeeze the tank with your legs. Don't put all your weight on your wrists. That's going to be a problem no matter what bike and handlebars you ride with. It takes time to get used to the lower bars. I am now plenty comfortable on the ninja. I can ride for hours without being too uncomfortable. The wind is more annoying than anything.

Old July 20th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #33
arnoldc6
ninjette.org member

Name: Arnold

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

Quote:

More pic of your bike please? Never notice your bike was heavy moded from your profile pic.
Always thought the pregen is ugly but yours is a

Old July 21st, 2013, 01:45 PM   #34
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldc6 View Post
More pic of your bike please? Never notice your bike was heavy moded from your profile pic.
Always thought the pregen is ugly but yours is a

Go to post#108 for da pics!
http://http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100916&page=3

Old August 9th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #35
brenthedtke83
ninjette.org member

Name: Brent

Motorcycle(s): 07 ninja 250r

choneofakind: with those woodcraft bars, can you shorten the length of those bars at all? Can you put them in closer to the clamp, or do you have to put them in to the manufacturers recommended positions? Also, are you able to put the stock handle bars in the clamps, so you don't have to have them so long and out?
brenthedtke83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2013, 05:04 PM   #36
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenthedtke83 View Post
choneofakind: with those woodcraft bars, can you shorten the length of those bars at all? Can you put them in closer to the clamp, or do you have to put them in to the manufacturers recommended positions? Also, are you able to put the stock handle bars in the clamps, so you don't have to have them so long and out?
Sure, you can slide them in and out of the riser a little. You could shorten them with a pipe cutter or cutoff saw if you wanted, but I find that it's nice to have them a little wider for more leverage when you're steering. You can also roll them to get the controls at the right angle, and you can change how swept the bars are as well. Only thing you cannot change is the drop angle of the bars. Other than that, you're in charge of where you put them. Whatever is comfortable and clears the tank, you're good.

You cannot use the stock bars though, those are permanently stuck to the stock risers.

Old August 10th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #37
iplante
I ride like a granny

iPhone fail. Lol.

Chone, my bars came off the risers super easily.

Old August 10th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #38
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
They are???? Mine are stuck in there! meh whatever. Idk why you'd want to use the stock bars with wc risers anyway, the wc risers come with 7/8" bars to use. Also, the wc bars are cheaper than stock ones if you crash

Old August 10th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #39
iplante
I ride like a granny

True that. I guess the only reason I'd use stock bars would be so that I can use bar end weights... my WC are hollow, so no where to bolt in.

But the stock bars wouldn't work with the WC risers, as they get narrower.

Old August 10th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #40
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Bar ends can be held in by a bolt, washer, nut, and piece of hose.

Kkim did a DIY. Search 'bar end weights for free practically' I think.