ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old August 8th, 2014, 07:15 PM   #1
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Riding street after riding track

Basically this thread is a discussion about how you feel about riding street and how your street riding has changed (if at all) by riding track.

useful things to note: how long you've been riding street and how many track days you've done (and what level you've ridden at on track)

This thread was brought on by a post in the mid ohio v3 thread by adouglas

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
So, Ben:

So cool to read about your experiences with Sensei Chris.

Have you ridden on the street since coming back? Sure feels like putting around the paddock, doesn't it?

How has the track affected your street riding?

In the past you've written about how aggressive you are on the street. How you've crashed multiple times. How you sometimes let your enthusiasm take over.

I was chatting with Chris at Thompson, saying that you probably wouldn't like riding with me on the street because you'd likely jet off into the sunset and I would not take the bait, being older and more buttoned-down.

The track changes people. What has it done to your feelings about riding on the street?
Alright so I got to ride a bit after getting back and I've got to say that many of the things that I learned at mid ohio stuck with me. My riding skills have never been better and yet I still have so much to learn and a ton of practice to do.
At the same time though I feel one of two things with street riding. Bored with the pace or guilty for opening it up a bit. I opened it up through a quick stretch and found myself wishing I was at a track and backing off a bit since it wasn't the time or place to push harder and I wasn't pushing hard enough to feel satisfied in that respect in the first place. The street just isn't the place for it, why should I increase the risk of losing my life & chance of injury to ride too fast for the streets when I can just go to the track (though it will be a while before I am able to return) The biggest thing I realized riding on the street again after my last track session was the return of all of the inherent dangers of the street: no run off, slow traffic in both directions that doesn't pay attention, more animals, road conditions themselves being inconsistent and unpredictable, etc. I'm not sure why I hadn't noticed it more after the first track day in comparison though that could be because I learned so little on the first track day compared to the 2 days at mid ohio and I learned at lot on my shenandoah track day. It could also be that my mid ohio track day focus was more on safety and control than outright speed (though the pace was there I can see where I can find 20-30 seconds in my videos)

I am going to make a few changes to my 300, after improving my body positioning on the track I find that I am actually more comfortable hunched over the bike a bit rather than straight up like the stock bars have you sitting.

Old August 8th, 2014, 07:27 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
The biggest thing I realized riding on the street again after my last track session was the return of all of the inherent dangers of the street: no run off, slow traffic in both directions that doesn't pay attention, more animals, road conditions themselves being inconsistent and unpredictable, etc. I'm not sure why I hadn't noticed it more.
Mid-O is a big track, it will spoil you rotten.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #3
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
I hope to be able to give my opinion in the soon. I would very much like to do a track day at some point....

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #4
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I'd tell you to join me at shenny on the 31st but I won't be able to go :'(

I might do a day in october but that's really late

Old August 8th, 2014, 07:46 PM   #5
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

I don't even know what i would have to do to my bike and myself yet. Best guess is i wouldn't be ready for a track day till next year at the soonest....

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old August 8th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #6
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
that's all good, next year we'll have one hell of a ninjette track day. I'll post something once I get the schedule for shenandoah track days next summer. The downside is that there really isn't much in terms of instruction.

Old August 8th, 2014, 07:50 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedNinjette View Post
I hope to be able to give my opinion in the soon. I would very much like to do a track day at some point....
Don't make me come up there.....

Old August 8th, 2014, 07:50 PM   #8
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Don't make me come up there.....
oh you know you want to ride shenny next season

Old August 9th, 2014, 09:24 AM   #9
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

Your confidence is increased after riding the track. If you do it right, it will also give you a greater safety margin as your skills will be better as well.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2014, 10:02 AM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
oh you know you want to ride shenny next season
Oh yea, I will keep it g until see the schedule.

Tell ya what @LittleRedNinjette, if they offer no real school component (which is best), I will ride novice with ya. I will be your personal CR for the day with recordings and all. I love helping riders out, let's ride! But ya have to promise to leave no stone unturned, no matter how small you think the issue is.

Old August 9th, 2014, 01:34 PM   #11
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I took the extra twisty way home from work just now, I must say I feel infinitely better though there (at a safe and reasonable speed) everything is smoother and I am using one turn in point rather than ending up running wide or cutting a corner short and needing to correct which allows me a smooth and consistent throttle roll on.

Though I must say, I miss the power of the r6. Someday, someday soon most likely but someday. I still feel that getting a 600cc track bike before getting one for the street is the way to go for me

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 9th, 2014, 01:42 PM   #12
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Let's see, track experience one and a half seasons (so 7 track days?), C group. Street experience, two years now.

The biggest things I noticed was being okay with folks passing, my cornering, and my attitude.

I mean, I get passed all the time, but the track helped me be okay with "close" passing (6 foot, except when practicing with one rider and a coach helping me get comfortable). So now I just stay steady and hold my line and if traffic wants to go around me, I don't panic and try to get away from them.

My corners aren't the most beautiful things around but I am more confident on setting my speed and being smoother through the entire turn. I determine what I want to do before I enter, set it up, and commit to it throughout the turn. My mid corner change of plans now only happens with debris or the random horse.

The biggest help though came from the constant advice to ride for the other person's comfort. In traffic, I not only pass when I am ready but also when I am sure I won't freak out the other person. I keep my speed steady in curves or straights and be as predictable as possible so that other drivers/riders can anticipate what I am doing and either flow around or know I am there before I move around them. I don't just wander all over the road because I can. Smooth, steady, and predictable.

Just things I've noticed.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
I took the extra twisty way home from work just now, I must say I feel infinitely better though there (at a safe and reasonable speed) everything is smoother and I am using one turn in point rather than ending up running wide or cutting a corner short and needing to correct which allows me a smooth and consistent throttle roll on.

Though I must say, I miss the power of the r6. Someday, someday soon most likely but someday. I still feel that getting a 600cc track bike before getting one for the street is the way to go for me
but learn to carry the speed through the corners wit dat 250 before trying to point and shoot with a 600 or larger. And when you finally get on that r6 to really ride, it's all rince and repeat with a couple of new things to learn; mainly throttle and brakes.

You will be able to pose for da paparazzi wit style brah.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 9th, 2014, 03:16 PM   #14
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Oh yea, I will keep it g until see the schedule.

Tell ya what @LittleRedNinjette, if they offer no real school component (which is best), I will ride novice with ya. I will be your personal CR for the day with recordings and all. I love helping riders out, let's ride! But ya have to promise to leave no stone unturned, no matter how small you think the issue is.
That would be awesome!
Hopefully by next year i won't look like a stuffed sausage in a tracksuit.

I'll have to google that track.

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old August 9th, 2014, 03:32 PM   #15
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedNinjette View Post
That would be awesome!
Hopefully by next year i won't look like a stuffed sausage in a tracksuit.

I'll have to google that track.
here's video of our own @Old Lemon riding shenny

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old August 9th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #16
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
I opened it up through a quick stretch and found myself wishing I was at a track and backing off a bit since it wasn't the time or place to push harder and I wasn't pushing hard enough to feel satisfied in that respect in the first place. The street just isn't the place for it, why should I increase the risk of losing my life & chance of injury to ride too fast for the streets when I can just go to the track (though it will be a while before I am able to return) The biggest thing I realized riding on the street again after my last track session was the return of all of the inherent dangers of the street: no run off, slow traffic in both directions that doesn't pay attention, more animals, road conditions themselves being inconsistent and unpredictable, etc.
Good good good. That means you're becoming a safer, wiser rider... and therefore a lot more likely to enjoy this sport for a long, long time.

A number of years ago (mid 90s) I had my first track experience, in cars. Having just done my first track day on a bike (and with about 27 years of riding on the street), I find I'm reacting in much the same way... I feel much more alert and observant, much more in tune with the vehicle, and much more aware of the dangers of pushing it on the street. I'm certain that I'm more proficient as a result.

As you've found, one gains a deep-seated awareness that the street is not the place to go all out. A lot of people who've never been on the track don't truly understand that and get awfully close to the limits when it's not appropriate.

Yes, it does feel "too slow." But boredom is what you allow it to be... I try to focus on the skills I can practice at street pace and look for satisfaction there. And wait for the next track day....

IMHO there's a whole lot you can do on the street that applies to the track, even though the bike doesn't give you the feedback you get on the track. You can practice body position, brake/throttle transitions, smoothness, line selection, precision, vision... any number of things. I kind of look at it as practice for the track. I know I'll never get the same feeling on the street, so the objective becomes something else.

Already I'm finding that my power off/power on and brake/throttle transitions are a lot smoother than they were only a month ago. And confidence in my brakes has gone way way up because I now know how they feel when hauling down from speed.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #17
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Street 3 1/2 seasons, 1.1 track days.
After my first track day I was addicted, I learned so much. The only change to street was my conference and knowing a little more. My .1 day, well I low sided. I was fine right after, ready to hop on and go again. It took a week to get the bike on the road again. 1st ride found I started a few bad habits. So, now I am working on my skill before I go back to the track.
Track riding did not make it boring or "ruin" street riding, it made it a little safer. I love to ride but can't afford track all the time. I want to ride cross country and it will give me the skill to do so. I also would like to do an endurance race in a few years.... dream big.
snot is offline   Reply With Quote