ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Notices

Old July 26th, 2021, 07:45 PM   #1
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

When you go down.....

I've had the unfortunate experience on dumping my bike on the street 3 times in my life. that has taught me a few things that I'ed like to share with you folks
1.) if you go down get away from the bike and slide separately.... forget trying to save it... just get away from the meat grinder !

2.) Oddly enough a dirt bike and street bike take different riding techniques.
if you are keeping the bike as straight up and down as possible you are heading for a fall ! on the Dirt this is desirable, but on the street it's deadly
you need your weight on the inside of a turn while keeping the bike as vertical
as you can ( within reason) however I have seen a few videos of guys riding street bikes the same way you ride a dirt bike working hard to keep the bike
very vertical .... the bike needs to lean into the corner to make the corner
but that leaning must not be too far or you will break traction and slide out. this is where you see Racers hanging off to the inside of the corner knee down trying to keep the bike as vertical as possible while making a steep corner at fast speed.... this almost sounds like a contradiction, but it's not.
Dirt riding takes a more vertical bike in corners as the traction is very limited
so balance is the key here.... if traction is lost you and the bike will slide sideways together because your balanced and ready for the loss of traction.
on the street it is different although you do maintain your balance between you and the tire patches. you do not expect to break traction, on dirt you do !

if you are keeping your street bike so vertical in the corners due to this technique you will eventually High side off the turn

3.) wear the proper riding gear for the Bike you are riding road rash is painful beyond belief you don't want to experience it. riding in t shirts and jeans was the thing in my youth but not any more BOOTS not shoes are mandatory on a motorcycle of any kind, my Mother was crippled for life because of a fall on a honda 50cc bike at 45 mph. her shoe was turned inside out ! and the flesh was ground down to the bone in several places and it shattered the cartilage in her knee.

.Bob.....
Bob KellyIII is offline   Reply With Quote