ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

View Poll Results: How long after you got the bike did you drop/crash it?
within the first week 174 18.16%
within the first month 179 18.68%
within 6 months 201 20.98%
within the first year 66 6.89%
within the first five years 40 4.18%
I crashed after 5 years of owning my ninjette 5 0.52%
I've never dropped it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 293 30.58%
Voters: 958. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 11th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #281
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedNinjette View Post
Had it for a month but had only been riding for a week or so. Needed gas so i went the the corner gas station. Now this station has 4 entrances/exits. Pulled in and had cars come in at me from every one, lost my balance and went down. Thank god for frame sliders, no damage to the bike just a seriously wounded pride for me.... And i still had to get gas.....
Ouch. I would have ridden to a different petrol station after that

We all make silly mistakes sometimes. I take it you've been on a motorcycle training course where they teach you slow speed bike control?

Might be worth practising your slow speed stuff in a safe environment like a car park where you don't have other distractions so you can build your confidence up.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #282
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
Ouch. I would have ridden to a different petrol station after that

We all make silly mistakes sometimes. I take it you've been on a motorcycle training course where they teach you slow speed bike control?

Might be worth practising your slow speed stuff in a safe environment like a car park where you don't have other distractions so you can build your confidence up.
I had taken the course, it was very helpful. I think it was a fluke thing. That and the course bike was a Honda rebel, not a street bike. That was almost a year ago and, knock on wood, i haven't done anything like that since.
The only thing I'm still a bit sketchy on is the metal grated bridges. Can do them, just don't like them!
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:51 PM   #283
05Ninjette89
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 05 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I'm not gonna lie i dropped my bike the 3rd day i had it, but not while i was on it. I was pushing it outside to wash it and instead of pulling the brake to stop i tried to stop it using the handlebars. Big lesson in momentum even at not even a couple mph. The damage was minimal so i wasn't mad or hurt.
05Ninjette89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #284
bonniejean
ninjette.org member

Name: Bonnie

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Dropped it :(

I had my most recent bike for a little over a week, on Sunday I was taking it out - didn't let it warm up long enough, turned the corner next to my house (its a hill) so after the turn it stalled out on the incline, I lost my balance and dropped it on its right side. Tweaked the turn light (it landed just right ) Picked it up, and then for the cherry on my crap sundae, once I picked it up it started leaning to the other side, I lost it and it fell on the left side. I kid you not. That time, my neighbor had to help me pick it up as it was on an incline (wheels facing up the hill) I was SO bummed, and talk about a humbling experience
So now my beauty has scratches and cracks *sniffle*
bonniejean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #285
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedNinjette View Post
The only thing I'm still a bit sketchy on is the metal grated bridges. Can do them, just don't like them!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #286
RedPepper64
Kawi Girl

Name: Heather

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Green SE, '13 Ninja 636 Pearl White

Dropped my first bike 12 hours after I bought it

Have not dropped my my current ninjette, going on 2 years owning

Old April 26th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #287
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

I'm scared to even post in this thread, so I'm certainly not going to answer the poll yet. I'll let you infer whatever meaning you want from that....

Old May 25th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #288
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
@allanoue

I dropped it twice, on each side, within two weeks of me getting my bike. What can I say? There's nothing like spreading the love on each side of the bike, your first two weeks, lol. Both were in the driveway. My driveway has an incline/slight hill, so I kind of knew it would be the death of me and my bike at some point or another. The first drop, I think I let out the clutch too early, it stalled right in between the incline of my driveway, lost my balance a little and tried to save it, but then realized I couldn't. Really, it's like watching a bird fly for the first time out the nest. First attempt to fly, falls flat on his/her face (except I didn't fall on my face, thank god).

Luckily, it didn't do too much damage to the fairings, just some minor scratches (like someone keyed it). On the second drop, I was trying to turn around (with my feet and in neutral) and not go into the grass, so I was turning it and I think I turned the handlebars too far over, where I lost my balance. On that drop, I bent my gear shifter, which sucked. Fixed it today and now I know how to fix it if it happens again. On each drop, I basically played arm wrestle with my bike. I caught it each time, but I didn't have the strength to lift it up, as the center of gravity went beneath me quickly, so I just laid it down gently as best I could, since it basically out wrestled me. C'est la vie mon amie.

Oh btw, I tried to lift that bike up by myself (I've watched videos on how to do it) and I could not lift that sucker up. Thankfully someone walking by my neighborhood helped me lift it up. Maybe I had bad body positioning? Or maybe I'm not strong enough? Who knows.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #289
JWarren
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250r

I was a week away from making it to the "6 month" voting option! It took me ~3,000 miles but I finally met my match on a gravel road that came out of nowhere!
JWarren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 01:50 AM   #290
jodag
Ninjette Newbie

Name: Josquin [Jo]

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja 250

I had almost a month, but I made the same mistake twice in a week
I parked the motorcycle behind a car...
the first time, my sister backed up into her and knocked her over, bending the clutch lever and braking the front left signal.
second time, I parked behind a pick up truck and the same thing happened. luckily, I got his insurance info, and made all the necessary calls. I should hear back soon.

What do you guys do when parking in town? I love being able to fit almost anywhere to park, but I'll stop doing that if it means I have to keep fixing the poor bike.
jodag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 06:48 AM   #291
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

Just because it fits, doesn't mean you can trust it there.

Our parallel spots are marked and if you tried to sit on the line, you'll end up with a ticket. I typically just cruise around until I find a good legit spot. If I'm on the bike, I'm not trying to rush.

Old June 28th, 2013, 06:54 AM   #292
mikega20
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

I just got mine and was the 5th time I was on it. Went on a road trip 125 miles round trip. Got off the exit ramp on 95. Coming around the curve I hit soft sand where road work was being done and slid along a concrete barricade for about 15 yards. Broke two toes, missing skin and nails from said toes, and 8 staples in my thigh with a huge road rash mark behind those. Three days later I was back on the bike. Broken toes and staples didn't stop me. I never laid the bike down through that. Stayed on it the whole time.
mikega20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 07:10 AM   #293
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikega20 View Post
I just got mine and was the 5th time I was on it. Went on a road trip 125 miles round trip. Got off the exit ramp on 95. Coming around the curve I hit soft sand where road work was being done and slid along a concrete barricade for about 15 yards. Broke two toes, missing skin and nails from said toes, and 8 staples in my thigh with a huge road rash mark behind those. Three days later I was back on the bike. Broken toes and staples didn't stop me. I never laid the bike down through that. Stayed on it the whole time.
Sound like your gear did not do its job.
What were you wearing?
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 07:20 AM   #294
mikega20
ninjette.org member

Uh yeah none. Squid riding. Shorts and tennis shoes. I have since then received gloves, steel toe shoes and armor jacket. But def got a lot of props for jumping back on the bike like nothing happened. I'm still riding it today, at work right now still with a boot on my foot for my broken toes.

Old June 28th, 2013, 07:28 AM   #295
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Uh yeah none. Squid riding. Shorts and tennis shoes. I have since then received gloves, steel toe shoes and armor jacket. But def got a lot of props for jumping back on the bike like nothing happened. I'm still riding it today, at work right now still with a boot on my foot for my broken toes.
Painful lesson, I am glad you have the mental toughness/stupidity to jump back on.

ATGATT
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #296
mikega20
ninjette.org member

haha thanks. I rode to my buddies house after it happened and jumped in the tub and proceeded to start cleaning everything out. Only seriously painful parts about it were getting the staples put in and the iodine bath the hospital had me put my foot in. My foot looked like it had a severe case of jaundice haha. Its still healing now but not much can keep me off the bike. Not even the girlfriend.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:53 PM   #297
kremtok
ninjette.org member

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2016 Triumph Street Triple RX

I had to change my vote due to this incident. I've had my bike for almost 3 years to the day.

Old July 16th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #298
sunspots
ninjette.org member

Name: Sunspots

Motorcycle(s): 08 Plasma Blue 250

Dropped it exactly 14 days into owning it...

Was the first time riding in rain and it was raining really really badly. Rode it to campus and was reversing it into a spot. The spot was at a decline, so my bike started rolling back at a angle, I didn't want to hit the bike next to mine so I pull my front brake and lose balance and its about to fall. I grab it trying to keep it up, but like I said it was raining really badly so I couldn't get a proper grip (no gloves >_> ) and I had to let it fall.

So many people around me when it happened. Worst feeling ever.
sunspots is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #299
mikega20
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspots View Post
Dropped it exactly 14 days into owning it...

Was the first time riding in rain and it was raining really really badly. Rode it to campus and was reversing it into a spot. The spot was at a decline, so my bike started rolling back at a angle, I didn't want to hit the bike next to mine so I pull my front brake and lose balance and its about to fall. I grab it trying to keep it up, but like I said it was raining really badly so I couldn't get a proper grip (no gloves >_> ) and I had to let it fall.

So many people around me when it happened. Worst feeling ever.

Ouch Yea that sucks bad. My buddy gave me a pair after i told him about my episode. Makes a world of difference in riding.

Old August 9th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #300
lyns1526
ninjette.org member

Name: Lyn

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

I haven't crashed mine, but I've dropped it twice. To park it at the house, I have to go over the rock driveway and then the grass. Well, I'm short, and the ground is uneven. Due to inexperience and apprehension, I stop in the grass and down we go.

But.....
When I was 14, I wrecked a moped though. We were turning right and the girl riding with me (the owner) leaned left. Well, left we went.... right up a curb into a tree. 2 broken wrists, a broken thumb, and 16 stitches in the face gave me a serious anxiety to get over when learning to ride the first beater ninja we had. Now, I can turn left and right with no problems, but I don't see me every riding w/ a passenger.
lyns1526 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #301
mikega20
ninjette.org member

Quote:
We were turning right and the girl riding with me (the owner) leaned left. Well, left we went.... right up a curb into a tree. 2 broken wrists, a broken thumb, and 16 stitches in the face gave me a serious anxiety to get over when learning to ride the first beater ninja we had. Now, I can turn left and right with no problems, but I don't see me every riding w/ a passenger.
My GF got thrown off a scooter a long time ago so she has a high tendency to lean the opposite way. This has on more than one occasion caused a yelling match or me leaning the bike much further than I am comfortable with. Eventually if she doesn't learn, she will be the reason why the bike would get laid down and i'm sure roadrash will change her mind about leaning.

Old August 10th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #302
lyns1526
ninjette.org member

Name: Lyn

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

Quote:
My GF got thrown off a scooter a long time ago so she has a high tendency to lean the opposite way. This has on more than one occasion caused a yelling match or me leaning the bike much further than I am comfortable with. Eventually if she doesn't learn, she will be the reason why the bike would get laid down and i'm sure roadrash will change her mind about leaning.
I actually am a great passenger; i think this wreck has a lot to do with it. My husband & I do some wild riding on twisties etc. Some of it is due to the experience of each of us; his riding experience and our knowledge of each other.

There are a lot riders that don't quite get that a passenger changes everything about riding. An inexperienced passenger even more so. As you said, you have to compensate for your gf. My son put a racing tail on his SV, so he can't take passengers.
lyns1526 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #303
mikega20
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyns1526 View Post
I actually am a great passenger; i think this wreck has a lot to do with it. My husband & I do some wild riding on twisties etc. Some of it is due to the experience of each of us; his riding experience and our knowledge of each other.

There are a lot riders that don't quite get that a passenger changes everything about riding. An inexperienced passenger even more so. As you said, you have to compensate for your gf. My son put a racing tail on his SV, so he can't take passengers.

Oh yea. My buddy has a sv1000s and he has a solo cowl seat cover too.

Old August 11th, 2013, 02:37 PM   #304
MR2Aaron
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

I answered "within six months," but that's not explicitly accurate.

I crashed while I was out on a ride this morning on a bike that I bought about a week ago, but I actually bought my Ninjette about 3 months ago, and I've been riding it regularly since then.

So, on the bike I actually crashed on, it took me eight days, but I have about three months of experience riding.
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2013, 01:16 PM   #305
spareparts329
ninjette.org member

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): 2001 EX250

Dropped it at 0 mph while doing parking lot surgery at an Autozone. It was on its center stand with the rear tire removed, that was a PITA to get back up. I haven't dropped it while moving yet, I've come close half a dozen times. I stomped my foot on the ground at 15 mph to right the bike out of a low side on water, completely blew my mind that it worked.
-edit-
I've never dropped a bike, but I suppose the ATV story belongs here. Riding a 650 ATV for the first time on pavement, I had been sliding the rear out on dirt all day, I sort of expected the same to happen on pavement at about 50 mph. As it turns out, the doesn't work, my hands slipped off the handlebars from turning so hard and I fell and slid 50 ft on pavement, hit a curb, was launched into the air, then struck a small oak tree (13 ft tall maybe 4-5 inches wide) about 4 feet off the ground and knocked the tree flat. My friend who was riding behind me, saw the whole thing and started freaking out. I rolled over, stood back up with my friend's assistance, then walked back to the ATV (not my ATV, whoops) and rode it back to the garage. By that time I was really hurting, I didn't break any bones, I was just bruised up so bad I had trouble walking for a month. Still known as that giant guy who broke a tree with his body.

Last futzed with by spareparts329; August 23rd, 2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: I lied, I've crashed an ATV
spareparts329 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2013, 01:20 PM   #306
mikega20
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts329 View Post
Dropped it at 0 mph while doing parking lot surgery at an Autozone. It was on its center stand with the rear tire removed, that was a PITA to get back up. I haven't dropped it while moving yet, I've come close half a dozen times. I stomped my foot on the ground at 15 mph to right the bike out of a low side on water, completely blew my mind that it worked.
haha nice with the foot. I just got a 2008 daytona 675 and was walking it back with my gf on the back of it and my foot slipped on gravel, close call for her and the bike haha.

Old August 27th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #307
jodag
Ninjette Newbie

Name: Josquin [Jo]

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja 250

I just got in a big crash about 3 weeks ago.
a woman pulled out of a driveway unexpectedly. I was unable to do anything besides swerve a bit and I crashed right on the front left of her Honda fit. I flew over bike and car and landed on the road.
Luckily, nothing broken, just some groin bruises (now gone) and huge wrist pain (mostly gone). so glad I was wearing riding boots, leather pants, textile jackets and helmet!
I will make a post with more details and pictures.
jodag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 07:29 AM   #308
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
So i had to change my vote to within 5 years now. think this trumps the gas station drop....

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...347#post745347

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #309
kmanlyst
ninjette.org member

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

I laid mine down about a month ago thanks to a careless driver who didn't care to use signals or mirrors, and didn't even stay and take responsibility for causing it. No major damage just some rashing on the right cowling and my stock can got messed up pretty good. I walked away a little winded thanks to all my gear.

Old September 9th, 2013, 08:34 AM   #310
gibtzumich318
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Updated my vote to within 6 months... Damn it!!

Old September 18th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #311
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
I stomped my foot on the ground at 15 mph to right the bike out of a low side on water, completely blew my mind that it worked.
Did you put any conscious thought into it, or was it just a lizard-brain reaction. Either way, that's amazing! I've heard someone else on this forum say they did the same thing.

Quote:
I've never dropped a bike, but I suppose the ATV story belongs here. Riding a 650 ATV for the first time on pavement, I had been sliding the rear out on dirt all day, I sort of expected the same to happen on pavement at about 50 mph. As it turns out, the doesn't work, my hands slipped off the handlebars from turning so hard and I fell and slid 50 ft on pavement, hit a curb, was launched into the air, then struck a small oak tree (13 ft tall maybe 4-5 inches wide) about 4 feet off the ground and knocked the tree flat. My friend who was riding behind me, saw the whole thing and started freaking out. I rolled over, stood back up with my friend's assistance, then walked back to the ATV (not my ATV, whoops) and rode it back to the garage. By that time I was really hurting, I didn't break any bones, I was just bruised up so bad I had trouble walking for a month. Still known as that giant guy who broke a tree with his body.
This is even more nuts than your first story!

I wouldn't take risks on quad bikes. I get the impression it's so easy to get badly hurt on them. I trust my 2 wheeled machines more!

Old November 11th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #312
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (Slightly Modded)

Dropped mine for the first time today haha. Thank god for frame sliders. No (extra) damage to the fairings or internals. I made a real newbie mistake, the same way I dropped a bike during MSF training. I took a turn too hot and couldnt lean enough to make it, I tried to brake and my rear swung around and I dropped it going 5mph. The bike, and I, were completely fine. I just felt like an idiot cause I immediately knew what I did wrong afterwards.
Sykes92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2013, 12:42 AM   #313
FNG
ninjette.org member

Name: Joey

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

4 Days In

Lowsided it and broke my wrist on day four. Taped my hand with sticky duct tape to help grip the throttle and rode for two more days before going to the ER. It is my only transpo and well, I've some "eastern european" blood flowing in these veins. Well, that and I love to f'n ride! Squiddy? Yeah, a little bit.

Still nursing the wrist, but the brace actually helps me throttle. Hurts too much without it.

LIVE to learn!

FNG
FNG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #314
drknes
ninjette.org member

Name: Adrian

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninjette (Black(and some blue))

Dropped both my bikes

I dropped my KRR150 2 weeks after getting it, Cage U-Turned in front of me, and I locked the front wheel on the paint of a zebra crossing, bike was a write off and I was in a cast for 6 weeks.
Brought the Ninjette while I was sill in the cast, 6 - 8 weeks after the cast came off, I compression locked the back wheel while braking for a downhill hairpin, and then lost it in the loose gravel on the side of the road. The guys behind me said it looked pretty spectacular, but my bike and my body didn't agree.
No major damage to me, and a bent handle bar, a handlebar shaped dent in the tank, and some pretty messed up plastic on the left side of the bike.

Both rookie mistakes, I've only just now been riding for a year, but I learned a lot from both incidents.
drknes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #315
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I was unfortunate to sell the 250 before I crashed, however; if I ever get another 250 I promise I'll crash it ASAP. Unless it's a two stroke.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 8th, 2014, 02:53 AM   #316
kittyslasher
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

I went down... 1 year 4 days the day started very bad and only got worse by me low slidding at about 20. I hit water and because it was windy probably sand or rocks mixed in and the bike just went down
kittyslasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2014, 07:33 AM   #317
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Wow 68.6% of nijette riders crash, better change over to a honda, wait I already lowsided so I am good.

Old April 19th, 2014, 08:09 AM   #318
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
Wow 68.6% of nijette riders crash, better change over to a honda, wait I already lowsided so I am good.
100% of R6 riders are ninjette riders who crashed

Old April 19th, 2014, 09:29 AM   #319
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
100% of R6 riders are ninjette riders who crashed
I know, me thinks its time for my r6, thinking of zx6rr instead tho.. :/

Old November 12th, 2014, 04:54 AM   #320
ladyelectric
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Stephanie

Motorcycle(s): '69 Honda 350, '02 Honda Metropolitan, '04 Ninja 250

Dropped mine in parking lot last night. I seem to have a talent for dropping my bikes in parking lots. BTW, how do I get the gasoline smell out of my neoprene pad that goes between my tank bag and my tank?
ladyelectric is offline   Reply With Quote