Old May 31st, 2018, 02:54 PM   #41
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Awesome! If I were you, I'd be hitting up Hampton Hills for MTB rides or Sand Run for runs on my lunch breaks.

Yes, head north to Brecksville reservation and pick up the valley parkway. That parkway is a nice scenic slow moderate road that will take you all the way around the emerald necklace around the backside of the airport and then up to rocky river and if you know how to jog about, you can get up to Edgewater park and the Cleveland sign. It's a cheesy picture opportunity, but it's kinda fun.

Thanks, I was thinking it was a reservation but I couldn't remember, it's been a while since I've driven through it!
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2018, 03:33 PM   #42
THusker
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
By "getting away" I meant that or dropping her, neither of which I wanted to chance. I just wasn't ready to try at that moment. I do have times where things scare me occasionally or I don't think I can do it.I wasn't feeling particularly confident at that moment after a disappointing practice session. I'm not perfect. I can take constructive criticism, I just don't need snarky comments about my actions as I begin this journey of learning my bike and having a good time with her. When I first read that comment before work this morning, I wanted to be a hell of a lot less polite in my response.
@adouglas I just wanted to clarify, I meant the comment from mst, not anything you've said. You've been a great help
you did the smart thing by pushing it if you didn't feel you were ready. You may have been a little sore but you and the bike are in one piece. Take your time to get comfortable with the bike and you will be in those twisty's before you know it with a grin on you face. look forward to hearing how the parking lot practice goes.
THusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2018, 04:01 PM   #43
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by THusker View Post
you did the smart thing by pushing it if you didn't feel you were ready. You may have been a little sore but you and the bike are in one piece. Take your time to get comfortable with the bike and you will be in those twisty's before you know it with a grin on you face. look forward to hearing how the parking lot practice goes.
thanks Unfortunately, parking lot practice didn't happen. it appears that I got blown off. It's pretty sad that I'm so used to people saying they are going to do something and then not doing it. Whatever, I'm keeping my chin up, and I will keep practicing on my own until I'm ready to ride over to that lot early in the morning by myself.

Old June 3rd, 2018, 05:57 AM   #44
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
I had my third practice session early this morning I took Takara out on my street for 45 minutes or so, and it went great!

I adjusted my shifter last night when I got home from work, and boy did that make a difference. I just started out by feeling the friction zone and getting used to using both breaks. It felt a little weird at first having to move my foot to get on the back brake, but I got used to it. Getting her going was much easier this time, no squirrely launches lol. I just lightly went on the throttle as I was still in the friction zone and then let the clutch out. Smooth as silk.

I got her into 2nd gear a few times and it felt great I didn't practice downshifting because there seems to be differing opinions on downshifting into first while still moving. I know in my car I just shift her into first once I'm at a stop. So I did the same this time out. I also did a couple low speed (5 mph) left turns onto a side street. My neighbor said I looked like a natural, not having any problem at all. It felt good. So next up is practicing right turns and if I feel I'm ready, u turns. My street just seems so skinny once I'm on the bike, I don't dare to attempt it lol.

As for getting her up to the parking pad, this time I had my neighbor on the right side of her and I feathered the clutch to get her up. Only bad moment was when she hit the lip of the pad she rolled back and I wasn't expecting it. I stalled her and slid in the gravel because of her weight rolling back but I managed to get on the front brake to stop her, otherwise I would have been belly down on the gravel with her on top of me. After that, we just pushed her the few inches to get over the lip and onto the pad, but it was still way easier than pushing her all the way.

I may have been bummed out by not getting to practice in a big parking lot on Thursday, but I am way happy about how I did this morning on my street

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 06:20 AM   #45
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Good for you! You're showing that you really want to do this, and commitment like that is usually successful.

You can shift into first gear while still moving, just don't be going very fast.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2018, 06:42 AM   #46
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
I can be pretty damn stubborn when I want to do something or when I want something....not always a good thing, but in this case it is

I'll try the downshifting into first next time out then!

Old June 3rd, 2018, 09:09 AM   #47
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

I’m not a fan of encouraging rear brake use. The front alone is more than enough, if, you have good pavement under you.
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2018, 09:29 AM   #48
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I'm glad to see your progress!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2018, 10:56 AM   #49
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwDang View Post
I’m not a fan of encouraging rear brake use. The front alone is more than enough, if, you have good pavement under you.
care to elaborate?

Old June 3rd, 2018, 11:36 AM   #50
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Good for you! You're showing that you really want to do this, and commitment like that is usually successful.

You can shift into first gear while still moving, just don't be going very fast.
^^^^ what he said

In fact, I will add to it.

Advanced Defensive Riding Tip #1: When coming to an intersection or stop, always be in 1st gear before completing the stop.

Reason 1 - If you need your feet, both sides are available without concern. (Even more important on imperfect terrain, hills, gravel, other not so fun stuff)

Reason 2 - If you are already in 1st, that is 1-2 seconds that you could be using to notice and react to your surroundings instead of gears.

Reason 3 - If you find yourself in need of moving quickly, the bike is already in the proper gear to take off with max haste.

Happy Learning!

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2018, 11:50 AM   #51
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
^^^^ what he said

In fact, I will add to it.

Advanced Defensive Riding Tip #1: When coming to an intersection or stop, always be in 1st gear before completing the stop.

Reason 1 - If you need your feet, both sides are available without concern. (Even more important on imperfect terrain, hills, gravel, other not so fun stuff)

Reason 2 - If you are already in 1st, that is 1-2 seconds that you could be using to notice and react to your surroundings instead of gears.

Reason 3 - If you find yourself in need of moving quickly, the bike is already in the proper gear to take off with max haste.

Happy Learning!

It makes sense to me to have it in first before coming to a stop.
I prefer to put my left foot down, so less hopping back and forth on my part

Old June 3rd, 2018, 12:00 PM   #52
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
care to elaborate?
I’m horrible at typing out long explanations. Hopefully someone else will pick up the topic.

Old June 3rd, 2018, 12:08 PM   #53
steiny
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): Zrx1100,ZRX1200, C14, CRF100's,KLX400

Sounds like you are improving each time out . Good Job....

If you improve 1% each day you will be 365% better next year
steiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2018, 12:39 PM   #54
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

In the extreme stop, the rear wheel of a Ninja 250 has zero weight on it, so when making the fastest stop you can, the rear brake does nothing. I use mine only when the road is unusually slippery and I'm concerned that I might skid the front tire. Rain and gravel are two things that can make that happen.

Old June 3rd, 2018, 02:47 PM   #55
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
I definitely felt more stable coming to a stop just using the front brake. I was smoother on the front brake and steady once I stopped. I noticed when using both that I was slightly more heavy handed on the front, maybe because I was concentrating more on making sure my foot was over the back. That and once I completed the stop I wasn't as steady when going to put my left foot down.

Should I just not worry about any more practice with the back brake until I do my class?

Old June 3rd, 2018, 03:00 PM   #56
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

In the class, and during any on-road state administered test, they expect you to use both together, so for now you might be better off doing that. When I was practicing for my state test a zillion years ago, everything I did was with the test in mind. After I passed, I did what I felt was correct.

Old June 3rd, 2018, 03:04 PM   #57
THusker
ninjette.org member

Glad to hear it went well! It is amazing the muscle memory growth that takes place in between sessions when first learning a new skill.

Learn to use the rear brake. It is there for a reason. Ether one can get you in trouble if you use too much, but a little skid of the rear is usually not as bad.
Does yours have ABS?

I always shift to first before coming to a stop but I shift down right before coming to a stop. Especially in traffic. You never know who is coming up from behind that you might want to get away from in a hurry.

Old June 3rd, 2018, 07:07 PM   #58
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
I'll keep practicing using it then. The bike does have ABS.

The shifting into first right before coming to a stop so you can get away if you need to makes sense. In my car, the point that I shift into first is right around when it is just settling to a stop. that way if the light changes before I've stopped all the way, I can just keep it in second and go. I guess I'll have to play around with it a little bit and see what feels best for me.

I think the amazing muscle memory growth can probably be contributed (at least a little) to my years of experience driving stick and riding horses. Knowing how to drive stick in a car helps with learning it on the bike, and a lot of what you are taught when riding horses applies to the bike as well. Look where you want to go, keep your upper body relaxed (keep the good posture, though!) while gripping with your legs and using your core. Main difference is instead of the "heels down toes up" mantra that was slammed into my head throughout my horseback riding years is now the opposite.

Old June 4th, 2018, 10:18 AM   #59
CaliGrrl

Quote:
I'll keep practicing using it then. The bike does have ABS.

The shifting into first right before coming to a stop so you can get away if you need to makes sense. In my car, the point that I shift into first is right around when it is just settling to a stop. that way if the light changes before I've stopped all the way, I can just keep it in second and go. I guess I'll have to play around with it a little bit and see what feels best for me.

I think the amazing muscle memory growth can probably be contributed (at least a little) to my years of experience driving stick and riding horses. Knowing how to drive stick in a car helps with learning it on the bike, and a lot of what you are taught when riding horses applies to the bike as well. Look where you want to go, keep your upper body relaxed (keep the good posture, though!) while gripping with your legs and using your core. Main difference is instead of the "heels down toes up" mantra that was slammed into my head throughout my horseback riding years is now the opposite.
That's about when I shift into first, too, just as the vehicle is coming to a stop. I keep my feet fairly flat, though. Definitely not toes-down. That comes from my first time on a bike being a dirtbike - never put your toes downward in case you come across a rock. Same reason I put my feet up as soon as the bike starts moving, though on the street rocks that will bite my toes are a low likelihood. It's a habit I've never seen a reason to change.

Definitely look where you want to go, though. Absolutely. I learned that mountain biking- you look at the rock, you're *going* to hit it. Look at the space next to the rock, where you want to go.

Old June 4th, 2018, 05:33 PM   #60
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
I learned that mountain biking- you look at the rock, you're *going* to hit it. Look at the space next to the rock, where you want to go.
But if you get back, gas it, and yell "BRAAAAAP!", you'll go OVER the rock
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2018, 07:18 PM   #61
CaliGrrl

Hhahahahah!!!! Good one! (I have ridden my mountain bike over a parking-block and down a small outdoor staircase, though those were kind of terrifying to do)

Old June 10th, 2018, 04:46 AM   #62
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Update?

Old June 10th, 2018, 04:53 AM   #63
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
I had planned to start going around my block this morning. The weather isn't cooperating It's been pouring rain since last night, and it's supposed to go through the afternoon.

Old June 16th, 2018, 02:07 PM   #64
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
got a question for everyone that's been reading this thread....

I've been on my new baby 3 times now, just practicing the slow stuff. When doing this, I've only been wearing street clothes (long sleeve shirt, jeans) along with my helmet/gloves/boots. I had attempted to get a jacket to have before this weekend but it didn't turn out that way. The one available in my size at my dealer is hideous, and the original jacket I ordered from Revzilla turned out the 2 left was actually out of stock. Much love to the dude who jumped through hoops to get me an affordable jacket in my size, it just won't be here till Wednesday.

After not getting to ride last weekend due to rain, I'm itching to get on her at first light tomorrow morning. I would like to go off my street and go to a couple short quiet roads connecting my neighborhood to the next small city. Kind of going around in a loop. I'm liking this idea because it's barely any potholes and uphill/downhill stop signs to deal with. It's only a small section of main roads I would be on, one bit to get there, and one on the other side of the loop.

I have Icon armored/kevlar compression pants to go under my jeans, but no jacket yet. Should I hold off until next weekend to branch out, or do you think I'll be ok?

Old June 16th, 2018, 03:51 PM   #65
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I vote for ATGATT.

Old June 16th, 2018, 04:25 PM   #66
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

This is a very personal decision only you can make. I normally stay out of theae atgatt topics because everyone is always right.

Are you willing to wear any possible scars as chapters in your story? Are you going to push the bike to near it’s limits? Are you alergic to temporary discomfort?

Old June 16th, 2018, 04:34 PM   #67
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Check iron pony in CBus, they will ship to you.
https://www.ironpony.com/ipd/pl.asp/.../closeout/True

Old June 16th, 2018, 04:52 PM   #68
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
I've just been bouncing back and forth on it, that's why I asked for opinions. It's one of those things where I think I would be just fine, but then I'm like ehhh.....

Takara wouldn't be anywhere near her limits. The fastest I would be going is 30 mph. As for allergies to temporary discomfort, nah lol. I'm used to it. Does that mean I like the possibility of having asphalt/dirt/gravel dug out of my arms/chest/back should a deer or a bunny jump out in front of me out of nowhere (they are fond of the area I want to practice on). That possibility is what's making me go "ehhh....." while the other part of me says I'll be fine.

Maybe I'm just getting too antsy being stuck on my street for now, you know? I don't exactly live in an area that's conducive to good newbie practice, and I'm starting to chomp at the bit while waiting for my rider course.

Old June 16th, 2018, 05:06 PM   #69
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
Check iron pony in CBus, they will ship to you.
https://www.ironpony.com/ipd/pl.asp/.../closeout/True
I just checked them out, I'll have to keep my eyes on that site for the future.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ur-mesh-jacket

this is what I ended up ordering, in white. was far from my first choice, but I was just looking for something to hold me over till I have the money for the leather jacket that I really want. So it was basically going for any mesh/textile jacket with shoulder and elbow armor that wasn't over $150. Finding that in my size was not easy. Everything was sold out. I guess there are a lot of small/medium women riders out there!

Old June 16th, 2018, 05:45 PM   #70
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
FWIW: "only" 30 mph does some nasty things to road cyclists. You'll live. But you'll hate taking a shower for a couple weeks. Asphalt is basically 10 grit sandpaper. Don't mean to be the guy brow bashing you, but I hit the deck twice today on my trail ride and have some new bruises I'll be nursing all week. Those are fairly minor in comparison to pavement injuries.

Good choice getting some gear.

Old June 16th, 2018, 06:03 PM   #71
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
FWIW: "only" 30 mph does some nasty things to road cyclists. You'll live. But you'll hate taking a shower for a couple weeks. Asphalt is basically 10 grit sandpaper. Don't mean to be the guy brow bashing you, but I hit the deck twice today on my trail ride and have some new bruises I'll be nursing all week. Those are fairly minor in comparison to pavement injuries.

Good choice getting some gear.
what you are saying is exactly why I wanted to hear from other people about it before I made my decision. I want to see it from other's perspectives. I've never been a big bicycle rider, never fallen off one when I had to ride one. I've fallen off horses - broke the two bones going from elbow to wrist in my left arm into a diamond pattern that they were shocked didn't become a compound fracture, flew over a jump with my left hand still holding the reins and ripped the skin and flesh off three of my fingers down to the bone. Had one horse bite my horse while I was looking down fixing his bridle, he threw his head up with full force right into my cheekbone and eye.

Bruised/battered is one thing I can deal with, but I don't have the experience with road injuries. You do, so I thank you for brow bashing me I learned something from you, and I think I'll wait until next weekend. I'll just keep her on my street tomorrow with the slow stuff one more time.

I had always planned to have all gear, I just didn't think I would need the jacket so soon, and that's my fault. My lack of planning in that area meant that everything that would have worked was already sold. Plus I didn't realize just how tiny the gear selection at my dealer was, at least for chicks. They have oodles of stuff for dudes. then again, I think the hideous jacket that would have fit me might have been a mens jacket from the look of it.

Old June 16th, 2018, 06:42 PM   #72
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
You're doing good though. You're getting gear, as painful as that process may be. Better off than a lot of people.

I see so many people down here without any gear on other than the required (I think) helmet.

Old June 16th, 2018, 07:33 PM   #73
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
I just checked them out, I'll have to keep my eyes on that site for the future.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ur-mesh-jacket

this is what I ended up ordering, in white. was far from my first choice, but I was just looking for something to hold me over till I have the money for the leather jacket that I really want. So it was basically going for any mesh/textile jacket with shoulder and elbow armor that wasn't over $150. Finding that in my size was not easy. Everything was sold out. I guess there are a lot of small/medium women riders out there!
They have leather for $118 on clearance. I bought the scorpion leather jacket. The place is huge and just south of you. They have tons of stuff including riding classes, bikes, gear, parts, etc..

Old June 16th, 2018, 07:36 PM   #74
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Read this: https://www.brm.co.nz/brittany-morro...-of-road-rash/

Old June 17th, 2018, 05:08 AM   #75
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I'd really like to be atgatt, but honestly I'm not... Should be, but I'm not... If I fall it will suck or maybe kill me - Forrest Gump said it best "stupid is as stupid does" it's really a personal decision as to how much your skin / body / health means to you and if what / how much you're willing to sacrifice

Old June 17th, 2018, 05:55 AM   #76
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
the fact that I couldn't drag my bum out of bed this morning helped make up my mind on not going for a ride today

I'll get my place all shiny clean today and then I'll have the time to do an extra long ride next sunday when I have all of my proper gear.

I've read the whole story on the road rash queen before, even used it to convince other people to buy gear. when I was first talking about getting a bike and the expense of it and all the gear, another dancer was asking me why I need all of it. she wanted to get a gixxer 750 as a first ever bike and no gear I showed her the story and the pics and explained why that wasn't a good idea.....

I'll be a good girl and be patient lol, I've come this far, don't wish to dig road out of my skin nope nope.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old June 17th, 2018, 06:18 AM   #77
THusker
ninjette.org member

Good call. I know it is tempting to go without all the gear.
I am trying to convince my son to collect all of his gear first before buying his bike so he isn't even tempted.

Old June 17th, 2018, 06:45 PM   #78
CaliGrrl

I dropped mine at probably 25mph and was glad I had a jacket on. That would have taken some skin off my elbow, at the very least. I know it's hard to wait to get on your bike..... But you can do this.

Old June 24th, 2018, 05:07 AM   #79
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
finally got to ride again....

well, after 3 weeks of not getting to practice on my lovely Takara, I hopped on my baby this morning with the hopes of going off of my street. Didn't happen

First off, I could tell it had been a while since my last practice. I stalled her three times from the get go. I think I was a little nervous....Then to make me more jumpy, I had a dumbass in a suv come flying up behind me and blare the horn as they went around. I took a few deep breaths and managed to get her going up my street. I got her into second gear smoothly and made it to the top of my hill. I'm pretty sure I didn't stop her far enough up, maybe a foot or two too early. I couldn't get off of my hill. I'm standing there on her, sweating from nerves and trying to figure out how I was going to get out of the situation. I had my foot on the back break and tried using the friction zone and throttle to get her to move forward but I just couldn't get her going enough without then rolling back and I was getting frustrated. I don't know how I didn't drop her but I managed to get off and turn her around walking next to her.

So, instead I kept her to my street again. On the upside, I found out my new jacket has great airflow I carefully got her going and went down the hill into second gear and then tried downshifting into first, I got it. A tad choppy but I got it. I did that a couple times going up and down the street and then put her away.

A mixed bag today, but again, I think that's because I went 3 weeks without getting on her.

Any tips on getting off a hill from a stop are appreciated lol...

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12

Old June 24th, 2018, 10:05 AM   #80
danno25nh
ninjette.org member

Name: Danno

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2009 Versys

You may roll back a tiny bit. Nothing you can do about that until you really get a feel for it.

Partly engage the clutch and add throttle. It's just feel and sound. That whole friction zone thing is more art than science. Don't over think it. If you're rolling back let out a bit on clutch, if it starts sounding like it will stall, add some throttle.

I've got it going from a stop in 4th gear with feathering clutch and cracking throttle. These bikes can recover from newbie mistakes.

Essentially, if the engine is revving high you can let out more clutch. If its bogging, add throttle.
danno25nh is offline   Reply With Quote