ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Notices

Old March 21st, 2010, 08:29 PM   #1
jcgirl
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jenn

Motorcycle(s): Bot

I crashed too

So, I guess I felt left out of all the crashing action that been going on lately. Was cruising down a three lane rd here in Victoria. I was the far left lane going about 60km, the person in the middle lane decided to change lanes, pretty much right on top of me. I locked up the front tire and ended up in 3ft stoppie. Came down leaning left and the bike slid out. I fell of the left side when the bike went down. Of course the cager that cut me off, took off, never to be seen again. 2 very nice people stopped and helped me up, helped me get the bike up and got the bike off to the side of the road. Rather a lot of damage to the left side of the bike. My gear is perfectly fine, not a scuff anywhere. I've got a pretty big bruise on my right knee, bruises on my arms and shoulders, and a pretty nice one on my lower back. And for everyones veiwing pleasure, please see the attached pics. Gonna have to wait and see what the insurance company says... yikes $500 deductable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crash1.jpg (57.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg crash2.jpg (55.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg crash3.jpg (56.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg crash4.jpg (61.7 KB, 53 views)
jcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2010, 08:36 PM   #2
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

I am so sorry Jenn! I'm glad some of the cagers were friendly at least.

Old March 21st, 2010, 08:43 PM   #3
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

10:1 He/She was probably on the G.D. Cell phone This is just maddening to see.... but at least you are okay.... it doesn't help but it all works out.... you'll see. Keep the chin up... and don't let them chase u off the road
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2010, 08:47 PM   #4
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Cagers are stupid...glad you are okay....
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2010, 08:48 PM   #5
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Sorry to hear you've joined the ranks Jenn but really glad you escaped with no major injuries. Gives us all a lot to think about as we get back on the bikes for the new season.

Old March 21st, 2010, 08:49 PM   #6
jcgirl
ninjette.org guru

I forgot to add that I'm also getting ridiculously spoiled and dotted on by a cute boy friend

Last futzed with by jcgirl; March 21st, 2010 at 10:14 PM.

Old March 21st, 2010, 09:07 PM   #7
Davidb1986
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r SE green with Monster energy decals!!!

had the very same thing happen to me too. A guy ran me off of the road on purpose!!! Me and my bike ended up in a grass ditch and all I have is a few scuffs and a one inch crack in my fairing

Glad to know you're alright, hope you get your bike fixed soon!!!
Davidb1986 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2010, 09:08 PM   #8
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Jenn there are easier ways to get totted on !!!! glad you are ok sorry about your bike

Old March 21st, 2010, 10:10 PM   #9
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Aaaahh! I hate seeing black Ninjas look like that!
Seems like you might have forgotten one of the cardinal rules. Always expect any car you're even remotely near to do something completely stupid and unexpected. Because they usually do.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:30 AM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

It happened to me nearly every day in my 4 months riding in GA (cagers moving in on my lane position, that is; not crashing!). Only happened once in my 1.5yrs riding in CA. A lot more bikers = a lot more awreness I guess.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:54 AM   #11
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgirl View Post
So, I guess I felt left out of all the crashing action that been going on lately. Was cruising down a three lane rd here in Victoria. I was the far left lane going about 60km, the person in the middle lane decided to change lanes, pretty much right on top of me. I locked up the front tire and ended up in 3ft stoppie. Came down leaning left and the bike slid out. I fell of the left side when the bike went down. Of course the cager that cut me off, took off, never to be seen again. 2 very nice people stopped and helped me up, helped me get the bike up and got the bike off to the side of the road. Rather a lot of damage to the left side of the bike. My gear is perfectly fine, not a scuff anywhere. I've got a pretty big bruise on my right knee, bruises on my arms and shoulders, and a pretty nice one on my lower back. And for everyones veiwing pleasure, please see the attached pics. Gonna have to wait and see what the insurance company says... yikes $500 deductable.
This makes no sense at all, 60kph = 37 mph so not that fast, if you needed to drop back the length of a car it would take less than 1 second of very light braking, in fact just rolling off probably would have slowed you down enough.

You drive on the right side in Canada right? 3 lane road probably has a hard shoulder on the right also, why where you in the left lane going so slow, Traffic that bad? I would have thought you'd be in the far right lane and only move left a lane to overtake, then back into the right lane.

Also, you say you locked the front wheel and also did a stoppie, the two would seem to contradict each other, unless after locking you released the brakes, although you'd have to wonder why you didn't release the brakes when the back tire started coming up also?

Cages cut bikes off it happens, if you are in the middle of any lane you can be quite invisible to car drivers. If I I'm on a 3 lane road and on the left most lane, I stay towards the right side so that my headlight is in the same place as a cars right side would be, this is what the other cars are looking for. If I'm in the right lane I stay more to the left. If I'm in the center.... well I have to work twice as hard to be seen, but focus more on being visible to people I'm going past, as people going past me are more likely to see me if they start behind me.

I've been cut off just like you describe a few times, on the bike (and even in my car with daytime running lights) even with trying to make myself visible and at much higher speeds 120kph (75mph) and usually a split second tug on the front brakes with one finger is enough to drop me back a safe distance and that's the end of it.

Anyway glad your OK and being looked after, but it might be worth thinking harder about why this happened. So it doesn't again, because you will get cut off again, so you'll need to react differently

(My Reaction is as follows: My middle finger on my right hand slows me down while my left thumb alternates between high beam and horn, after which the journey continues as normal)

Old March 22nd, 2010, 05:08 AM   #12
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Sorry to hear about the crash but I am glad to see you are ok. I guess every cloud has a silver lining...congats on all the attention you are getting from the boy friend. Hey maybe I need to wreck my bike...nah...I don't want to put my bike through the pain...lol

Well heal up quickly and get back on that steel horse.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 06:10 AM   #13
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Jenn. glad you came out of this with no more than bruises and a rashed up bike. You are now an official member of the club no one wants to join.

Jeff
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:31 AM   #14
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Suggestion number one - buy a video camera for when you ride. Pretty sad that we have to resort to this sort of thing so that the police can find the suckers when they cut us off, but what else can you do. The GoPro HD seems to be a good choice and can be had for $213 USD shipped in the USA.

There really isn't a number two, even flashing lights and a wailing siren wouldn't wake up most of these fools. The only thing you can do is try and spot them before they wreck you and either slow way down so that when they wreck you have time to stop, or speed up and get away from them and hope the officer will listen to your story when they pull you over for speeding.

#1 was a big reason why I bought my camera.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:42 AM   #15
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Glad to hear you made it out with just bruises. Cagers are idiots. Hope you can get the bike back together soon.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:08 AM   #16
Ash
ninjette.org member

Name: Ash

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I'm glad you are okay - that is always the most important thing!
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:45 AM   #17
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:54 AM   #18
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Sorry to hear about your crash, but definitely glad you weren't hurt!

As aggressive as it sounds, this is why I don't like to linger around cars. I'm always looking to pass and put myself in a nice, open, car-less area.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:01 AM   #19
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250, 1980 Honda XL125

Quote:
I forgot to add that I'm also getting ridiculously spoiled and dotted on by a cute boy friend
One bit of good news...Other than you are ok. Damn!!! Double Damn! Really sorry, just glad you are alright. I have had this happen 3 times in the past 2 years. LUCKILY SO FAR, I have not gone down, and 3 people drove away with a BIG Joe Rocket dent in the DRIVER side of there car. Funny thing, not ONE of them stopped, even after I kicked the S!@# out of there car. I called the police all 3 times, told them what happened, what I did, and gave a license #. Never to any avail, but I did what I could. The last one was an A$$HAT in a Mercedes Benz, on his Cell Phone, came right into the side of me. I had NOWHERE to go, so I hit the Brakes and kicked with my right leg as hard as I could (NOT Recommended, throws your balance off). When he heard the THUD, he swerved back over to the right, sped off, then switched lanes never looking back. The guy could have hit a KID, never even blinked , just took off.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, But get better and keep us updated on the bike!
cnichols79us is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:19 PM   #20
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Suggestion number 2, rocket launcher

Old March 22nd, 2010, 04:55 PM   #21
caliente103
ninjette.org member

Name: HECTOR

Motorcycle(s): Red 08 250r

call Tony in NJ
Posted via Mobile Device
caliente103 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 05:11 PM   #22
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Glad to hear your still in one piece.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:17 PM   #23
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Jenn, sorry to hear you joined the ranks of the recently downed, but glad to see you're still aboveground to learn from the mistake. Sad that we have to deal with the incompetency of drivers so often, but all the more reason to be better prepared and more paranoid on the road.

Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:19 AM   #24
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnichols79us View Post
The last one was an A$$HAT in a Mercedes Benz, on his Cell Phone, came right into the side of me. I had NOWHERE to go, so I hit the Brakes and kicked with my right leg as hard as I could (NOT Recommended, throws your balance off). When he heard the THUD, he swerved back over to the right, sped off, then switched lanes never looking back. The guy could have hit a KID, never even blinked , just took off.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, But get better and keep us updated on the bike!
The Mercedes thought he hit you, so recorrects and takes off leaving the scene of the crime.... where is the penalty to these people cuz you know he'd be let off if he had.... with the perverbial "I didn't see him".... best part of this he didn't hit you and he has a little bit of pocket money coming out of his pants to pay for the dent repair... lol... Good one Jeff!
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:54 AM   #25
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy126 View Post
The Mercedes thought he hit you, so recorrects and takes off leaving the scene of the crime.... where is the penalty to these people cuz you know he'd be let off if he had.... with the perverbial "I didn't see him".... best part of this he didn't hit you and he has a little bit of pocket money coming out of his pants to pay for the dent repair... lol... Good one Jeff!
Lol. I guess.... I just can't ever imagine wondering if I hit something, or Someone, and just driving off. The fact that I spaz and kick peoples car when I am about to be run over doesn't make me happy. It is an automatic defense mechanism with me for some reason. I wish I did something other than that in all out honesty. BUT, it has kept me from getting hit to this point....

Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:04 AM   #26
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Sorry to hear you went down. It's only a matter of time before everyone has that day. Don't feel bad! At least someone else caused it and it wasn't you playin around.
Good to hear you're ok.
Posted via Mobile Device
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:46 AM   #27
jcgirl
ninjette.org guru

Thanks Everyone!! I'm sore and discoloured but I still can't wait to get back on a bike. I should find out either today or tomorrow what insurance is gonna do with the bike. There is quite a bit of damaged to the front end. I'll let you guys know what the outcome is. Stay safe all!!

Old March 23rd, 2010, 03:01 PM   #28
pedaltothemetal
ninjette.org member

Name: Leo

Motorcycle(s): Plasma Blue 2008 Ninja 250R, 2006 Honda Ruckus 180cc swap, 1967 BMW R60US, 2008 Ninja ZX-14se

Glad you're OK.
Everyday when we get back safe is a good day!
Everyone keep safe!
pedaltothemetal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #29
jcgirl
ninjette.org guru

OK.. So the story is gonna get a little worse now... well just for me I guess. I just got a call from the insurance. it's looking like they want to write off my bike. They're giving the value of the bike at $4500, and I have a $500 deductable. Which means that I'll get a payout of about $4000. Too bad that I financed the bike in Oct. Which with taxes and registration came to about $6500. So it pretty much means that I'm not gonna have a bike, but I'll still be paying for one. But luckily the insurance is classifing this as a hit and run, so my insurance premiums on my non exsistant bike won't go up. Ever try really hard not to cry????

Old March 25th, 2010, 09:55 AM   #30
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Quote:
OK.. So the story is gonna get a little worse now... well just for me I guess. I just got a call from the insurance. it's looking like they want to write off my bike. They're giving the value of the bike at $4500, and I have a $500 deductable. Which means that I'll get a payout of about $4000. Too bad that I financed the bike in Oct. Which with taxes and registration came to about $6500. So it pretty much means that I'm not gonna have a bike, but I'll still be paying for one. But luckily the insurance is classifing this as a hit and run, so my insurance premiums on my non exsistant bike won't go up. Ever try really hard not to cry????
Oh, Crapola.... I am REALLY sorry Jenn. Was hoping things would work out better than that for you....

Old March 25th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #31
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Did you not get gap insurance when you did your financing? If you don't know... check. I know of two different people that didn't realize they had signed on with gap insurance when they financed, but found out that they did have it (both were thefts) after all. It's a real common "add on" by the finance agents.

Glad you're all in one piece!

Old March 25th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #32
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

This is not the first time I've seen a result from a crash play out like this on a bike forum and it's always sad. You're buying a new bike for thousands of dollars, usually financed, buying expensive riding gear or taking riding courses/lessons and everything else that comes with owning a new bike. By the time it comes to registering, inspecting and getting insurance you're tapped out. It's tempting to get the cheapest insurance you can that gets you mobile, but it usually comes with a high deductable anyway. Then of course you bike depreciates in value every nanosecond from the moment you get the keys...blah..blah..
The point is, you're putting your body at risk. You can screw up and crash, injure yourself or die. The Ninja was my 3rd bike and for once I could afford to pay for everything up front. And I got the best insurance I could buy that included 100% medical coverage in case of an accident. It was $24 a year added to the policy.
So when I crashed it...and ended up in the hospital for 3 days and a knee operation while unemployed, I was fully covered. A few days after I got home the appraiser totalled my bike and they mailed me a check for only $500 less than what I had paid for the bike. As soon as I could walk I got another bike, same year, model and color. And then I insured it exactly the same.
This is your body and livelihood and perhaps even your life here. What happens if you injure yourself, can't work and miss payments? Or if you don't have medical insurance and crash with thousands in hospital bills to pay? You'll probably come very close to personal bankruptcy at the very least.
I must have read a half-dozen stories already by people who lost their bike and had monthly payments for the next 5 years. It's really sad and I shouldn't be having to read the same story over and over.
Protect yourslf, but protect your future financial health too. If you screw up without a back-up plan to take care of doctor's bills and bike replacement you're just gambling your future. Your future earnings and your future quality of life. I don't think any rider should settle for less than the best, most comprehensive insurance possible. Pay a little more money and cover your ass.

Old March 25th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #33
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Sorry to hear about the crash and the insurance. I suggest you take it to get another estimate. Maybe even mention to the shop that you want to keep the repairs below 4000 or 4500. Sure you might pay a few bucks but at least you will still have your bike.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #34
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Buy used with the 4K (shouldn't be too hard) and continue to make payments as usual.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #35
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

I find it hard to believe that the repairs on that would be above $2500. You may want to see an itemized list of part needed and start pricing them for your self. You might be able to find an independent shop to do the repairs and keep it more reasonable.

Otherwise I would be really tempted to tell the bank to come and get it.

Old March 26th, 2010, 07:31 AM   #36
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
I find it hard to believe that the repairs on that would be above $2500. You may want to see an itemized list of part needed and start pricing them for your self. You might be able to find an independent shop to do the repairs and keep it more reasonable.

Otherwise I would be really tempted to tell the bank to come and get it.
Believe me, it doesn't take much at all to total a Ninja 250R. These bike have a low retail price and replacement parts are expensive. Maybe you can dump a Harley or a CBR1000 and get away with only damaging 1/3 of the value of the bike, but dump a Ninja 250R and the plastics, pegs, signals and swing arms result in a very short but expensive list that the insurance estimator compiles. Much of this bike is designed to look good, not to survive a crash at any speed. Even if you do all the work yourself, the replacement parts ain't cheap.

Old March 26th, 2010, 09:23 AM   #37
jcgirl
ninjette.org guru

Thanks for all you replies. Pretty much where things stand right now, is that the bike has to be fixed at the dealership, so no going anywhere else. The payout will go to the financing company so no buying anything used. The dealership said they'd be willing to work with me to see if they can make the bike safely ridable without being pretty for less than $4000. Or they've got an "08 Ninja 650 model that I can pick up pretty cheap, but would have to refinance. *Sigh* I had a dream last night about riding... I miss my bike

Old March 26th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #38
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Ouch...I'm sorry to hear that!
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #39
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
. *Sigh* I had a dream last night about riding...
So did I! Crazy racing dream with a lot of crashes. I better stop reading these posts before I go to sleep.

Old April 13th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #40
backinthesaddleagain

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Congrats on the new bike. Sorry you didn't come out whole with the insurance, but I would assume coverage is on the value of the bike, not the bike + OTD costs. Main thing is you are ok and have a bike again.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote