ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old January 15th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #1
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Random electronics project, and pics...

So I've been working on a random electronics project for work, and I had to take some pics for documentation in the process. I actually got to solder for the first time, and was rather proud of my success. All of my joints are holding nicely! I'll practice some more tomorrow since I have the day off.

In the process of all of this electronics work, I've been heading towards making another mothership beacon like Vex's, and investigating different lighting solutions for my bike. Part of that included pulling the turn signal bulbs to figure out what on earth they are. I plan to try and replace them with LEDs, but using the stock housing if at all possible.

While taking pics of the bulbs so I could see what on earth they said on the base, I got this really neat pics and thought I'd share - it just made me smile for some reason.

noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #2
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

ooh. I'm definitely going to be keeping tabs on this documentation, so you better keep it up to date!
And yes, soldering is a bit of an art, but not too hard to master. I have to solder little decoders (electronic chips) into N scale model loco's for my job, those things are tiny! And then I come home and solder 12awg wire to electric motors for my own hobby, I'm always having a blast with soldering irons...
P.S. Watch out, they burn you when you least expect it
kazam58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #3
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

I totally forgot to get back to you. Check eBay as there's a seller I've been buying LED's through. They're really good deals and most include the resistors. Then when you buy wiring I'd suggest to try to find the stranded wires and NOT solid wires. The solid wires are hard to flex and I just don't like them (good enough excuse?).

If you match one LED to one resistor then you don't have to do any figuring later and don't have to worry about losing a string of LED's if one goes out.

Last futzed with by VeX; January 17th, 2009 at 04:09 AM. Reason: spelling
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #4
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

So whats the "random electronic project" you made for work?
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #5
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazam58 View Post
ooh. I'm definitely going to be keeping tabs on this documentation, so you better keep it up to date!
And yes, soldering is a bit of an art, but not too hard to master. I have to solder little decoders (electronic chips) into N scale model loco's for my job, those things are tiny! And then I come home and solder 12awg wire to electric motors for my own hobby, I'm always having a blast with soldering irons...
P.S. Watch out, they burn you when you least expect it
Soldering irons, I'm sick of them Spent 3 weeks or so over the summer merging wiring harnesses for a motor swap in my car, and I'm not anxious to see another one for a while (that's why I'm doing it all again in the spring haha)

Anyways, what is this special project?
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #6
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post

Anyways, what is this special project?
Shes not talking! It must be "top secret"
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #7
NJD022588
============

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
I've been heading towards making another mothership beacon like Vex's
I think this is the project... LOTS of LEDs.
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #8
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Kerry's right - it's top secret - though there are LEDs involved, they're not the ones for the bike... if I said anymore, I'd have to hunt you all down and kill you....
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote