ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old August 1st, 2012, 08:54 PM   #1
mariorivera830
MoVal's only ninjette :(

Name: Mario

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r SE Black with a dash of yellow

Calling all 6 foot + riders.....

I have a stock 12 ninjette and aside from knowing I need a new windscreen, what are some of the other customizations I should do. Being 6 feet tall (mostly in my torso, I have stumpy legs) what are your suggestions as far as what I should do to my bike to help with wind, speed and comfort.

So:
-What should I get
-What brands are the most reliable
-Where should I order from
-In what order should I do the adjustment.
-And if there is something that I should have a dealership/mechanic do (in SoCal) are there any suggestions on that?
-And anything else you all can think of.....

Thanks! I am really enjoying my bike and want to start making it my own for looks and comfort
mariorivera830 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2012, 09:17 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

This area of the forum is for protective gear that you wear. Is that what the question is about, or is it more for modifications to your bike itself?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2012, 09:20 PM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
6'2 200lbs here, the stock ninjette suits me perfectly. I did order a sport touring windshield (double bubble won't help much) just to get the wind around me a bit more. Stock seat takes getting used to, get a corbin if you want it comfy.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

I'm sure he's referring to farkles.

Windscreen: double bubble or touring windscreen.
Arms: Clip-ons.
Legs: Rearsets.
Butt: Corbin seat.

There's a few major brands out there, you'll find out which when you search for them.

I'm sure others will expand on these, but that's the basic comfort items.

Old August 1st, 2012, 09:27 PM   #5
mariorivera830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
This area of the forum is for protective gear that you wear. Is that what the question is about, or is it more for modifications to your bike itself?
Sorry I just noticed that I should have scrolled down a bit to post it.

Can someone please move this to the appropriate place? Thanks

Old August 1st, 2012, 09:29 PM   #6
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I wouldn't consider clip ons a comfort mod
AFM #676

Old August 1st, 2012, 09:33 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/thread moved

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2012, 09:35 PM   #8
mariorivera830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
6'2 200lbs here, the stock ninjette suits me perfectly. I did order a sport touring windshield (double bubble won't help much) just to get the wind around me a bit more. Stock seat takes getting used to, get a corbin if you want it comfy.
Yeah, the seat is killing my glutes.... even through the fat. Maybe with some more wear it will soften up? How is the sport touring windshield as far as turning your head for lane changes? That's what is giving me whiplash right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
I'm sure he's referring to farkles.

Windscreen: double bubble or touring windscreen.
Arms: Clip-ons.
Legs: Rearsets.
Butt: Corbin seat.

There's a few major brands out there, you'll find out which when you search for them.

I'm sure others will expand on these, but that's the basic comfort items.
yeah that's what I meant. Im probably going to have to have this moved. I'm still getting used to all of the terms used here. Still working on ATGATT and "cagers". My wife hates when I call her that too!

Ok windscreen: two votes for touring windscreen. Any suggestions for brand or place to purchase? It will be my first time doing anything to my bike so ease of installation will be key for my first project to build confidence.

Thanks for your replies and look forward to any more suggestions!

Old August 1st, 2012, 09:43 PM   #9
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariorivera830 View Post
Yeah, the seat is killing my glutes.... even through the fat. Maybe with some more wear it will soften up? How is the sport touring windshield as far as turning your head for lane changes? That's what is giving me whiplash right now.

yeah that's what I meant. Im probably going to have to have this moved. I'm still getting used to all of the terms used here. Still working on ATGATT and "cagers". My wife hates when I call her that too!

Ok windscreen: two votes for touring windscreen. Any suggestions for brand or place to purchase? It will be my first time doing anything to my bike so ease of installation will be key for my first project to build confidence.

Thanks for your replies and look forward to any more suggestions!
You will get hit with wind if you move out from behind the windscreen, sort of necessary to check your blind spot. I just received mine from motorcycle superstore, their price was OK.

Installation

When you receive your windscreen going to want to grab an allen wrench, possibly one of those multi ones so finding the right size is easier. Then you have 4 bolts you need to remove from the windscreen. Place the allen wrench in the bolts sockets and twist counter clockwise. Continue twisting until the bolt is removed, then repeat this process for the other 3 bolts. Be sure to keep your bolts in a safe place, there is a safety switch connected to the windscreen bolts that will prevent the bike from running if they are not reinstalled.

Then remove the windscreen and replace it with the new one. Take one of your bolts and put it back in place over it's original bolt hole. Place the allen wrench into the bolts socket and twist clockwise. Continue twisting until the bolt is touching the plastic and becomes more resilient to twists. Tighten one more full turn at this point. Then repeat this with your other 3 bolts.

If done correctly, your bike will now look kinda stupid with this giant windscreen but it will make the ride more enjoyable
AFM #676

Old August 1st, 2012, 10:03 PM   #10
mariorivera830

Quote:
You will get hit with wind if you move out from behind the windscreen, sort of necessary to check your blind spot. I just received mine from motorcycle superstore, their price was OK.

Installation

When you receive your windscreen going to want to grab an allen wrench, possibly one of those multi ones so finding the right size is easier. Then you have 4 bolts you need to remove from the windscreen. Place the allen wrench in the bolts sockets and twist counter clockwise. Continue twisting until the bolt is removed, then repeat this process for the other 3 bolts. Be sure to keep your bolts in a safe place, there is a safety switch connected to the windscreen bolts that will prevent the bike from running if they are not reinstalled.

Then remove the windscreen and replace it with the new one. Take one of your bolts and put it back in place over it's original bolt hole. Place the allen wrench into the bolts socket and twist clockwise. Continue twisting until the bolt is touching the plastic and becomes more resilient to twists. Tighten one more full turn at this point. Then repeat this with your other 3 bolts.

If done correctly, your bike will now look kinda stupid with this giant windscreen but it will make the ride more enjoyable
Really? I'm not trying to impress anyone, but..... how has your experience been with a double bubble? Is there any difference from the stock windscreen? I plan on keeping this bike for a long time and if I have to have a big ass windscreen to enjoy my ride, then I guess it's a necessary evil, but if a double bubble will do the trick when only partially tucked it may have to do.
Is there a preferred brand among my fellow ninjetters for windscreens? Since this is the top suggestion.

Old August 1st, 2012, 10:05 PM   #11
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
The difference between double bubble and stock is a placebo effect. It barely makes a difference. I just received my sport touring windshield I'll post a pic when I installed it. Yes I think it makes the bike look kinda silly, like it has a brain tumor or something
AFM #676

Old August 1st, 2012, 10:11 PM   #12
mariorivera830

Quote:
The difference between double bubble and stock is a placebo effect. It barely makes a difference. I just received my sport touring windshield I'll post a pic when I installed it. Yes I think it makes the bike look kinda silly, like it has a brain tumor or something
nothing cuter than a brain tumor.... reminds me of the chick at my bank. Not the brain tumor part, but when I went to get my bike refinanced for a lower APR, we went out to get the VIN. When she saw my bike the first thing out of her mouth was,"Oh, is that one yours? It's cute." It wasn't the emotion I was trying to evoke, but whatever. Turns out she rides a Habuyasa.

Old August 1st, 2012, 10:13 PM   #13
folky15
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Quote:
.... Place the allen wrench in the bolts sockets and twist counter clockwise. Continue twisting until the bolt is removed, then repeat this process for the other 3 bolts. Be sure to keep your bolts in a safe place, there is a safety switch connected to the windscreen bolts that will prevent the bike from running if they are not reinstalled..... Take one of your bolts and put it back in place over it's original bolt hole. Place the allen wrench into the bolts socket and twist clockwise. ...
This is so awesome that I have decided to remove Jiggles from my 'ignore list'

I'm 6'2 and didn't think the Double bubble helped much either. The touring windscreen was just too fugly for my taste so I've just learned to deal with the headwind of the stock windscreen.

Also, OP, do a search and browse through past threads. You'll see that most, if not all of your questions have been answered already.

Old August 1st, 2012, 10:18 PM   #14
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I win them back, one by one
AFM #676

Old August 1st, 2012, 11:43 PM   #15
maggy187
ninjette.org member

Name: Alden

Motorcycle(s): '11 Ninja 250

I'm 6'4 and the only thing that I have done is replaced my windscreen with a puig double bubble, and that was only because the bike belonged to a teenager before me and he placed a high school parking sticker on the stock screen... I couldn't remove the sticker so I just replaced the part.

You'll need a #4 hex-head to remove the screen and do not try to push on the bottom two bolts when you attempt to screw them back in. If you pop the rubber coated threads out of their place, you will have to completely undress your bike to replace it.

Aside from having to achieve the fetal position to get out of the wind, there really isn't much to complain about with the bike's size...
maggy187 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 01:03 AM   #16
folky15
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggy187 View Post
If you pop the rubber coated threads out of their place, you will have to completely undress your bike to replace it.
I have found that these little rubber threaded nuts can be replaced without removing any fairings. You only need to remove the larger allen screw that is holding the mirror bracket in place. Then the rubber thangs can be carefully inserted w/ a needlenose and some patience.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 02:09 AM   #17
ZackoFF96
ninjette.org member

Name: Zacko

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

wooow you guys are tall im only 5'11 and i feel the 250 is too short .. i think what you need to buy is an uppering kit. so the bike will be taller and probably more comfortable
ZackoFF96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:30 AM   #18
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (SOLD) - Black. 2011 ZX-6R Green/Black - 2001 Garbage Bag Green KLR650

Quote:
I definitely consider my clip-ons a comfort mod. I'm 6' with lanky arms, and anytime I would get into a position that was comfortable on my back my arms would be tucked in too close to my body. I find they move my arms out enough to make all the difference.
Redgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:59 AM   #19
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I'm 6'3", when I had my 250 I got a puig double bubble windscreen, and rearset adjusters (cheaper than rearsets), they move the stock rearsets back and up for more leg room. I was always pleased with everything on my 250 except the edges of the tank constantly digging into my legs, which can't be fixed.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:28 PM   #20
wanarace94
The Dark Horse

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r SE, 71 honda Cl100

I'm 6'1'' and i think the stock ninja fits perfectly. Im 180 pounds give or take i just need a different seat. The wind doesnt seem bad. On my brothers vulcan i seem to get hit harder with the wind. Some day maybe a new wind screen on this bike for looks.
wanarace94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 02:18 PM   #21
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

6' 2" and my knees are above the tank in the stock setup. To get them in the indentation beside the tank where they are supposed to be I need rearsets or adjusters.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:50 PM   #22
mariorivera830

Alright folks, thanks for all of your input. I decided on ordering a double bubble from zero gravity. I want to see how that goes for a few weeks, then I will be trying some clip ons (Woodcraft I think are the most recommended?) then if I'm still having wind trouble, I'm going to go ahead and suck it up and get a sport touring windshield.

Now, is it generally cheaper to order those items online, or can a buck or two be saved by scouring some of the (not so local) shops? Just what you all may have noticed. Thanks again I can't wait to get those installed.

I think I will just take it as far as the seat goes, hopefully it softens up after awhile.

Old August 3rd, 2012, 05:25 AM   #23
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (SOLD) - Black. 2011 ZX-6R Green/Black - 2001 Garbage Bag Green KLR650

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariorivera830 View Post
Now, is it generally cheaper to order those items online, or can a buck or two be saved by scouring some of the (not so local) shops? Just what you all may have noticed. Thanks again I can't wait to get those installed.
There's someone selling a Puig DB in the market place right now.
Redgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:40 AM   #24
mariorivera830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgeneral View Post
There's someone selling a Puig DB in the market place right now.
Yeah I saw that but i think the only guy to respond to that post already snagged it up.

It's okay, I picked a new one up from the zero gravity outlet. That was a nice find after hours of googling.... not giggity-ing I spent a good portion of my shift looking at a bunch of worthless sites and a few good ones.

Thanks though!

Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:43 AM   #25
mariorivera830

Next is clip ons...... where to get the best deal on those.....

Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:05 AM   #26
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
they are a comfort mod if you have your face burried in the gas tank

Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:09 AM   #27
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ride View Post
I'm 6'3", when I had my 250 I got a puig double bubble windscreen, and rearset adjusters (cheaper than rearsets), they move the stock rearsets back and up for more leg room. I was always pleased with everything on my 250 except the edges of the tank constantly digging into my legs, which can't be fixed.
cody! post more!

and i completely agree with the edges of the tank being the only real issue. with full ass-back my race rearsets are still like an inch too close to the lip of the tank so i cant plant my knee in there as well... not an issue leaned over but full tuck is annoying. makes me want to take a hammer to it and fix it

Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:12 AM   #28
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (SOLD - 2/16/2013)

if you have shorter legs rearsets shouldn't be necessary. I got the Buel XB pegs on mine because I have long legs and needed my knees below the tank ridge

Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:02 PM   #29
mariorivera830

Quote:
Originally Posted by edxmon View Post
if you have shorter legs rearsets shouldn't be necessary. I got the Buel XB pegs on mine because I have long legs and needed my knees below the tank ridge
Yeah that's what I was thinks ng about. I can plant both feet flat on the ground at a stop with just a little bend in the knees. My problem is in my torso, it's super long. I mean I'm 6 foot even and have a 34 inseam. And my jeans still drag on the floor.

So I think clip ons are definitely the next thing for me.

Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:33 PM   #30
beerhalffull
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 09' Ninja 250R

Quote:
Do you have pics of them installed? I'm 6'7 and some changes would be huge for my ride. I'm also up in Oceanside so riding down to San Diego and up to Los Angeles would be much easier with a more comfortable fit.
beerhalffull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2012, 07:53 AM   #31
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhalffull View Post
Do you have pics of them installed? I'm 6'7 and some changes would be huge for my ride. I'm also up in Oceanside so riding down to San Diego and up to Los Angeles would be much easier with a more comfortable fit.
I think there is picture in one of my threads, let me find it and link it, but I'll try to get some closeups for you

Not the best pic, but all I can do while at work:

Old August 7th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #32
Lew360
Bueller

Name: Lewis

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R

Quote:
Did they slip right on, or did you have to modify them to fit? I had a set on my Buell 11225CR and I was tempted to try them on the ninjette. I had to modify them for my CR since they have a different mount than the XB.
Lew360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2012, 09:58 AM   #33
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew360 View Post
Did they slip right on, or did you have to modify them to fit? I had a set on my Buell 11225CR and I was tempted to try them on the ninjette. I had to modify them for my CR since they have a different mount than the XB.
All that is necessary is to enlarge the pin holes(+2-3mm Dia) and shave a bit off the side of the mounting surfaces (-2-3mm thickness). I did it with files which took me a while, but not more than 30 min on each peg, then again I don't shy away from hard work :P

For the $14 I spent on the pegs, not bad at all.

Old August 7th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #34
Lew360
Bueller

Name: Lewis

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R

Quote:
All that is necessary is to enlarge the pin holes(+2-3mm Dia) and shave a bit off the side of the mounting surfaces (-2-3mm thickness). I did it with files which took me a while, but not more than 30 min on each peg, then again I don't shy away from hard work :P

For the $14 I spent on the pegs, not bad at all.
That isn't bad at all. I had to do that and more when I put a set on my SV.

Thanks, I'll be ordering them shortly.

BTW: I'm 6'00" and 230.
Lew360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #35
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew360 View Post
That isn't bad at all. I had to do that and more when I put a set on my SV.

Thanks, I'll be ordering them shortly.

BTW: I'm 6'00" and 230.
here are a couple more shots, you can make out where I filed the peg mounts (not as shiny) plus the shark drop off edge

Old August 8th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #36
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

I am 6'2" and I have woodcraft clip-ons... thought it was one of the best mods I did. I have a puig double bubble and it's more cosmetic than useful, although it does provide more wind protection than the stock one did. I've been meaning to do rearsets forever... I've ridden others 250's with them and they make a huge difference as well!!

If you need help with mods there is a pretty big group of us in the SoCal area and we are always willing to lend a hand... especially if you're willing to attend one of our mod parties that are a pretty regular thing. Keep your eyes peeled on the group ride forum!
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #37
mariorivera830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazper View Post
I am 6'2" and I have woodcraft clip-ons... thought it was one of the best mods I did. I have a puig double bubble and it's more cosmetic than useful, although it does provide more wind protection than the stock one did. I've been meaning to do rearsets forever... I've ridden others 250's with them and they make a huge difference as well!!

If you need help with mods there is a pretty big group of us in the SoCal area and we are always willing to lend a hand... especially if you're willing to attend one of our mod parties that are a pretty regular thing. Keep your eyes peeled on the group ride forum!
Thanks for the offer! I got my double bubble from the zero gravity outlet. $84 shipped, not bad I guess.

Clip ons are definately on the agenda next. I may just buy them (when the wife gives me my allowance again) and hold onto them until the next mod party. I'd rather have a few extra set of eyes watching my back. Kinda like that scene in Snatch, where that group of "parkies" is watching the boxer hook up the trailer to his truck. Man, I love that movie!

As far as the mod parties go, I will try my hardest to make the next one. I work a wierd schedule (rotating 12 hour shifts) and I go to school full time and I have a family. I try to fit hobbies in where I can.

Old August 9th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #38
mariorivera830

Just for fun, here's the pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0198.jpg (38.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0196.jpg (46.3 KB, 12 views)

Old August 13th, 2012, 05:32 AM   #39
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

I'm 6'2" and have the Buell XB Front Pegs.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #40
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

I ended up buying some bohemian racing rearsets!! Once I get them installed I'll let you know the outcome! I've ridden others with them so I'm pretty sure I already know the answer... just a shameless plug at my new purchase
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote