ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 13th, 2018, 11:03 AM   #41
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
There isn't any oil pumped to the primary gears, they just sit where oil gets on them from the sump. Not that your post isn't good, I just didn't want B to think his oil pump may have a problem, just from hearing the gear whine.
I appreciate your respectful disagreement with my post.

If you go out to the garage and stand the EX250 up on its wheels (as level as you can), then crouch down and eyeball the location of the oil sight-glass and the (obvious beneath the right-hand engine side cover) location of the engine's crankshaft you'll realize that the resting (engine not running) level of the sump oil is below the crankshaft's primary gear.

When the engine is running the sump oil level is much lower (than this engine-off oil level sight-glass) due to the large percentage of the engine oil volume that is currently being pumped throughout the system.

The EX250 Service Manual Engine Lubrication System diagram shows pressurized oil delivered to each of the engine's three main bearings with outputs from the crankshaft into each of the piston big ends and at both ends of the crankshaft (with the right-hand end being the area of the cam chain and the primary gear).
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2018, 11:10 AM   #42
Hesh
ninjette.org member

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
I appreciate your respectful disagreement with my post.

If you go out to the garage and stand the EX250 up on its wheels (as level as you can), then crouch down and eyeball the location of the oil sight-glass and the (obvious beneath the right-hand engine side cover) location of the engine's crankshaft you'll realize that the resting (engine not running) level of the sump oil is below the crankshaft's primary gear.

When the engine is running the sump oil level is much lower (than this engine-off oil level sight-glass) due to the large percentage of the engine oil volume that is currently being pumped throughout the system.

The EX250 Service Manual Engine Lubrication System diagram shows pressurized oil delivered to each of the engine's three main bearings with outputs from the crankshaft into each of the piston big ends and at both ends of the crankshaft (with the right-hand end being the area of the cam chain and the primary gear).
So if that's a possible cause of the whine, does it mean that maybe I haven't put enough oil when changing it? It was my first time, but the oil level was between the two lines, closer to the upper one, so I think I got that one right lol.

Old March 13th, 2018, 11:15 AM   #43
greg737
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesh View Post
So if that's a possible cause of the whine, does it mean that maybe I haven't put enough oil when changing it? It was my first time, but the oil level was between the two lines, closer to the upper one, so I think I got that one right lol.
That's the part of my post that Triple Jim was absolutely right to be concerned about. It was never my intention to suggest that your EX250 was currently low on oil or that its oil pump wasn't operating properly.

You sound like a very conscientious owner, I'm sure you're doing a fine job with things like engine oil.

Old March 13th, 2018, 11:20 AM   #44
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Greg, you're saying that oil pumped to the right main bearing gets out into the primary gear area and onto the gears? OK, I'll buy that. I think I was probably biased from my 2-stroke experience... those engines have sealed bearings, of course, so no oil gets to the primary gears by that route.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2018, 11:30 AM   #45
greg737
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Greg, you're saying that oil pumped to the right main bearing gets out into the primary gear area and onto the gears? OK, I'll buy that. I think I was probably biased from my 2-stroke experience... those engines have sealed bearings, of course, so no oil gets to the primary gears by that route.
Yes, the EX250 Service Manual Engine Lubrication System diagram uses what looks like a large comma (or maybe it's an apostrophe) to indicate locations where oil under pressure flows out of ports/vents in the camshafts and gearbox shafts and from the perimeters of plain bearings and there's a comma/apostrophe shown at both ends of the crankshaft.

(I'm looking at my Pre-Gen Service Manual but I'm pretty sure the crankshaft oil flow didn't change with the Next-Gen)

Old March 13th, 2018, 12:00 PM   #46
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
But I absolutely love me some good straight-cut gear noise.

The 5th Generation VFR 800 (1998 to 2001) is the (everyday motorcycle) king of gear-whine with its gear-driven camshafts. All of those wonderful straight-cut cogs mated to each other from the crankshaft up to the four individual camshafts of the V-4.
Me too.

My son has a '98 VFR, and he loves the gear sound. It's pretty loud (in a good way).
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2018, 12:07 PM   #47
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Here's the proper procedure, just for reference -

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_check_my_oil%3F

One common mistake people make is to change the oil and filter, then fill the engine until the sightglass is at the proper level. Once the engine starts and oil is pumped into the filter the level drops - and it's too low.

That's why you need to run it briefly (there's plenty of oil to be safe temporarily), then shut it off and check it again after waiting the proper amount of time. The time delay gives the oil time to run back down to the sump - which is all factored-in to the correct level reading. The bike also needs to be help perfectly level to get an accurate reading.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2018, 12:41 PM   #48
Hesh
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Here's the proper procedure, just for reference -

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_check_my_oil%3F

One common mistake people make is to change the oil and filter, then fill the engine until the sightglass is at the proper level. Once the engine starts and oil is pumped into the filter the level drops - and it's too low.

That's why you need to run it briefly (there's plenty of oil to be safe temporarily), then shut it off and check it again after waiting the proper amount of time. The time delay gives the oil time to run back down to the sump - which is all factored-in to the correct level reading. The bike also needs to be help perfectly level to get an accurate reading.
Yeah, I read all that carefully before doing it and did it exactly how it's supposed to be and the oil level was good.

About the whining, I guess I'll have to learn to live with it if I don't find what's causing it for sure and get it fixed. I wouldn't mind it if it's a little, but it does silence the actual bike noise, which I'd much rather be hearing lol.

Old March 13th, 2018, 05:32 PM   #49
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Get a header, that'll drown out the whining.

Old March 14th, 2018, 04:20 AM   #50
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Yeah, I read all that carefully before doing it and did it exactly how it's supposed to be and the oil level was good.

About the whining, I guess I'll have to learn to live with it if I don't find what's causing it for sure and get it fixed. I wouldn't mind it if it's a little, but it does silence the actual bike noise, which I'd much rather be hearing lol.
Enough of your whining, just get ear plugs!

Old March 14th, 2018, 04:45 AM   #51
Hesh
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Enough of your whining, just get ear plugs!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e1feea2df73447797ac9ebf37b09848a.jpg (49.3 KB, 0 views)

Old March 14th, 2018, 07:22 AM   #52
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14

No seriously, I always wear earplugs and you can hear your engine much better.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 14th, 2018, 07:46 AM   #53
Hesh
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
No seriously, I always wear earplugs and you can hear your engine much better.
Pretending the noise isn't there isn't the solution for me lol. Gotta fix that mf.

Old March 14th, 2018, 08:11 AM   #54
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Pretending the noise isn't there isn't the solution for me lol. Gotta fix that mf.
Yeah, noise could be a warning of impending mechanical issues.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2018, 09:10 AM   #55
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I bought my 250 new gen brand spanking new and put the very first mile on the bike. It has made that whine since mile 1, and with 5k+ street/track/race miles on it, it makes the very same whine to this very day. No harm in ensuring proper operation though. Stopped worrying about it long ago...

Earplug tip is valid: they dull the less important stuff so you can hear vital things.

EDIT: Now that I think about it more, seems the whine is less pronounced on higher mileage bikes.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.