ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 2nd, 2017, 11:51 AM   #1
Speedy3
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Speed Triple (Blazing Orange); 2010 Nina 250r (Race Project)

Tear from mounting, do I need a new tire

Got pirellis, and the tires are tight as hell. Using screw driver to get last bit over the rim, and this happens. From a damned round shaft screwdriver.

Do I need a new tire or will the head still seat? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1179.jpg (69.1 KB, 30 views)
Speedy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2017, 02:00 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
It's hard to tell from that photo. Maybe use some rubber cement on it to seal the ripped chunk in before you try to mount it again. You'll know soon enough once it's on, if it's going to hold air.

I suspect you didn't have the tire bead fully into the "drop center" section of the rim everywhere except where your were working. If it's not, a tire can become almost impossible to get over the rim without damaging it.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 02:16 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

It will leak

No reason for discarding the tire, you can always use an inner tube if above Tim's advise does not work.

Always use proper tire irons and tons of patience and rubber lube.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2017, 02:56 PM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I would do as TJ suggested and add some type of adhesive to that area, and secure the flap, before mounting it.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2017, 05:59 PM   #5
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

I've used this stuff, it holds up even at race temperatures.

Old March 2nd, 2017, 06:19 PM   #6
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I'll do any work on my bike other than mounting tires. The $20 to the fellas at my local cycle store is well worth the headache prevention.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 06:31 PM   #7
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post

It will leak

No reason for discarding the tire, you can always use an inner tube if above Tim's advise does not work.

Always use proper tire irons and tons of patience and rubber lube.
I think this is the best advice to assure that the tire doesn't leak.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2017, 08:44 PM   #8
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
I like Hernan's suggestions: innertube; proper tools; lubricant.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2017, 09:02 PM   #9
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
That looks like a pretty deep rip! But hard to be difinitive based on one photo. Be damn sure the bead cords aren't damaged. Perhaps unlikely but it does look like there are cut chords to me. If it's a front tire I would scrap it if there is any indication of ripped bead strands. I would toss it if it is a rear tire too! Explosive failure could easily be fatal. Be sure!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2017, 10:00 PM   #10
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Those beads are steel-reinforced: really difficult to cut, even with power tools.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2017, 01:27 PM   #11
Speedy3
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Speed Triple (Blazing Orange); 2010 Nina 250r (Race Project)

Don't hate me, but I didn't even want to deal with it .

I about threw that rim and tire through a wall by the time I got as far as I did. The rim was beat to heck anyways, so I got a new one and a new tire as well. I'd rather chalk this up to a lesson learned, and know I'm riding with a solid tire!

And I'll leave mounting and balancing to the pro's with proper tools that don't require my shady, shade-tree skills
Speedy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 6th, 2017, 03:29 PM   #12
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
I hate mounting tires as well! Without the proper tools, breaking the bead to get the old tire off is aways a bitch. 4 large C clamps and a small bead breaker does the trick.

Mounting new tire back on?? Without proper lube and a warm 80 degree day, it's a bitch as well.

I would bring it to a shop, but by the time I remove the wheel off the bike, drive to the shop, wait for them to do it, drive back home, and install wheel back on the bike, I would've been done doing it on my own. That's the only reason I do it myself. If I had a good shop close by, I would gladly pay someone to do it.

Old March 6th, 2017, 03:41 PM   #13
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
I would bring it to a shop, but by the time I remove the wheel off the bike, drive to the shop, wait for them to do it, drive back home, and install wheel back on the bike, I would've been done doing it on my own. That's the only reason I do it myself. If I had a good shop close by, I would gladly pay someone to do it.
That's the reason I started doing my own car tires, as well as my motorcycle tires. I hate sitting in a car tire shop waiting, or having to get someone to pick me up and take me back. Once my wife bought me a slide hammer bead breaker, I was able to get any tire off its rim, including the big ones on my Ford tractor.

Old March 18th, 2017, 11:05 PM   #14
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Jim, that thing looks like it can be a nice weapon as well! How do you even use it?! Place it on the bead and strike the top with a hammer to vibrate the bead off?

I really hate mounting/dismounting tires. But I had a free day....

Put them out in the sun for an hour they say. The rubber gets softer and it'll be easier to mount & dismount....they say.

It's mid March and it's still snowing....

Old March 19th, 2017, 07:45 AM   #15
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Jim, that thing looks like it can be a nice weapon as well! How do you even use it?! Place it on the bead and strike the top with a hammer to vibrate the bead off?
It's a slide hammer. The silver part is almost as long as the yellow part, and slides up and down in the yellow tube, and it's quite heavy. You lube up the bead and put the black curved and round-edged blade between the rim and tire bead. Then you raise up the silver bar and slam it down a couple times. That's usually all it takes, but there are a couple things to remember to do, like with motorcycle rims you have to put some wood blocks on the floor so the rim rests securely on them and not a brake disk, for example. Also the rim can't be supported by the tire or the rim bounces around and the blade doesn't do its job, so with a car wheel sometimes you have to stand on the rim to push it down against the floor.

It's the only way I know of to break the bead on big tires like the rear tires on my Ford tractor, but it works quickly on any size wheels. For really big tires, you can use the whole thing as a tire iron too. The local 80+ year old tire guy loaned me his a couple years ago, and I knew I had to get my own.

Old March 19th, 2017, 09:27 AM   #16
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Heat we always have in sunny Florida, all I have to add is rubber lubricant.
My favorite methods are more rudimentary:

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal...enuoptID=36400

Old March 19th, 2017, 09:33 AM   #17
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Looks good, Hernan. I used to use my bench vise to do motorcycle tires too. My OEM type car bumper jacks have a curved edge on the base that's made to fit the curve of a rim, so you can jack up the car and break a bead. It works pretty well, but not for big tractor tires, I found.

Old March 19th, 2017, 09:55 AM   #18
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Looks good, Hernan. I used to use my bench vise to do motorcycle tires too. My OEM type car bumper jacks have a curved edge on the base that's made to fit the curve of a rim, so you can jack up the car and break a bead. It works pretty well, but not for big tractor tires, I found.
I have never done it and cannot imagine working with a big tractor tire.
Do those have a removable ring like 18-wheeler tires have?

Old March 19th, 2017, 10:37 AM   #19
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Mine do not. The rims are just like car rims, but bigger. The biggest pain is draining about 30 gallons of antifreeze and saving it before you start dismounting the tire, and putting it back in after the tire is patched or changed.