ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 18th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #1
SV_Hadder
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250

Question 2006 Ninja 125... Only running on one cylinder?

My dad and I were out riding 2 days ago, and one of his cylinder shuts off for about 2 miles. His bike is a 2006 with only 4,000 miles and it's bone stock. His bike did this to me while I was riding it a few months ago, back when it only had about 2,500 miles on it. To our knowledge the valves have never been adjusted, nor have the spark plugs been changed.

He said he was running about 10k and all of a sudden one cylinder just stopped running, and it proceeded to run like that for 2 miles, and then finally the second cylinder came back to life. The one time that I rode it and the bike shut down one cylinder, it was only for a 1/4 mile tops.

The bike runs perfect at all times; except for these two incidents.

It sounds like some sort of electrical issue rather than a fuel or carburetor issue. Anyone have any ideas?

Old January 18th, 2011, 10:35 PM   #2
kkim

pull the plugs and see what they look like. that will tell you what's going on inside the cylinders. could be as simple as a whiskered plug.

I highly suggest a valve adjustment if it's due.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #3
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Next time it is running on one cylinder, and you'll know it because it'll take full throttle just to maintain speed, pull over and blip the throttle to keep it from stalling. Stick your hands in through the fairing openings and wiggle the coil connectors. If that changes the way the engine runs then you have problems, either corrosion in the terminals (they're not water proof in the least) or the wires are broken where they're crimped into the terminals. I had this problem last year, it took forever to track it down.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #4
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Also clean the carbs by putting some Berryman's or Seafoam in with the gas.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #5
SV_Hadder
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250

Thanks guys, those were all the things I was going to check, just wanted to see if there was some well-known history of such an issue.

Frugalninja250, I know exactly what you are talking about.... On my 2001, I went to change the spark plugs for the first time as its new owner, and the plug wire just fell right out of the plug cap. I had no ignition troubles, but I'm glad I caught the issue before I was left stranded.

I will check the plugs, install new ones, pour in some seafoam, and check the ignition wires/coils.

BTW, does anyone know if berryman's B12 is any less effective than seafoam? Around my area, seafoam is about $10-11 a bottle, while the B12 is only about $4.

Old January 21st, 2011, 07:53 AM   #6
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

I've used Berryman's in my bikes, lawnmower, boat, jetski, cars, and it works fine. On many forums it's preferred over Seafoam, they say it works better. And it's much less expensive.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2011, 08:25 AM   #7
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Hadder View Post

BTW, does anyone know if berryman's B12 is any less effective than seafoam? Around my area, seafoam is about $10-11 a bottle, while the B12 is only about $4.
Neither is going to really clean the carbs if carb problems are causing the issue. Only a full dismantling and cleaning with compressed air and a good solvent will do that. Additives like this are only really useful as a preventative, and even then if you're going to be going months without riding it's better to drain the gas from the tank and carbs and use it in another vehicle. Modern fuels go bad with time even if in sealed containers; I'd consider 6 months to the the absolute tops on age, even with something like Stabil added to it.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #8
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

I seriously doubt that this was a carb problem. Intermittent problems like the one described by the OP scream electrical. Specifically, I would check the low voltage coil connections and clean them. It could also be a faulty coil or igniter, but bad coil connections are more likely. Bad plugs wouldn't be my first guess because plugs don't go bad and then magically fix themselves.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #9
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Since the problem is intermittent, that would absolutely seem to be an electrical connection issue.

As far as effectiveness of B12 vs SeaFoam, I've used both for maintenance (running in a tank to keep things clean) and as a cleaner for soaking jets that are 100% clogged. Get whichever you prefer.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote