ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 14th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #1
tim61
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 78 Ducati 900SD Darmah, 74 Yamaha TA125, 71 Honda CL175 , 78 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport, 09 Kaw 250R, 08 KLR650

Ivan's Jet Kit...THE HOT TICKET!!!

Hi all!

I wanted to pass on what I feel is the single best improvement you can make to your 08 and newer Ninjette....Ivan's Jet Kit.

I have had a prototype of his kit in my hands since early winter, but weather precluded me from doing any real testing until now. And the results are in!

Here in Seattle we have started 2 Ninjette racing classes in the Washington Motorcycle Road Racing Association (WMRRA) for the 2011 season. My 2008 Ninja racer is a salvage title bike with about 3,000 miles. The engine and carbs are bone stock, except for the jet kit and snorkle removal, and a block off plate for the valve cover emissions valve. Our rules require the engine to remain stock in every way, and the only mods allowed to the carbs are needles, jets, and removale of the snorkle. And we allow pipes. LeoVince is paying contingency, so many racers, including myself are running the LeoVince SBK system.

I now have 2 track days and 2 races on the set-up. Probably a total of 70 or 80 laps of Pacific Raceway. And the results are impressive.

I can ride around any bike in our group. Currently that means 18 other bikes. Everything from pre-gen to 2011 models. These bikes were all running a mix of Dynojet, Factory pro, and modified stock needles/jets. The power difference was substantial, and very obvious. In fact, I will readily admit that the 1st place finishes I scored in both races came against a rider who was cornering faster than I was. He was making about 100 feet on me every lap (2.25 miles), and I could make up that 100' in less than a quarter mile of our front straight. In essence, it was Ivan's jet kit that won those races, not my riding prowess (or lack there of).

I spoke with Ivan today, and he said he could have a run of those jet kits ready in about 30 days. I would highly recommend getting on that list ASAP, or you may be left behind (literally)!

TimO
WMRRA #220
Attached Images
File Type: jpg undertail.jpg (112.7 KB, 13 views)
tim61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #2
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

details on the kit?
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Hi Tim -

There will undoubtedly be alot of interest in this kit here. Any of the tech discussion of the kit, from installation to performance to tweaks to whatever can stay right here in this tech forum. But when it gets to him actually selling 'em or advertising them on this site, that needs to be in a separate thread in the Marketplace area. Congrats on the 1st place finishes!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #4
tim61
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 78 Ducati 900SD Darmah, 74 Yamaha TA125, 71 Honda CL175 , 78 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport, 09 Kaw 250R, 08 KLR650

Typical stuff...a set of needles, clips, a couple of shims, jets, and a nice compliment of high quality vacuum plugs to block off stuff you don't need. Oh, and a set of Ivan's decals so everyone will know what just spanked them!

TimO

Old April 14th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #5
tim61
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Hi Tim -

There will undoubtedly be alot of interest in this kit here. Any of the tech discussion of the kit, from installation to performance to tweaks to whatever can stay right here in this tech forum. But when it gets to him actually selling 'em or advertising them on this site, that needs to be in a separate thread in the Marketplace area. Congrats on the 1st place finishes!
No problem. I have no affiliation other than I was lucky enough to test the prototype, and was able reap the rewards. I like to steer folks in the right direction when it comes to aftermarket stuff because it can get really spendy weeding through all the junk out there to find the treasures!

TimO

Old April 14th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #6
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Ivan had some pretty kick ass jet kits in the past. Be interesting to see what he came up with.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #7
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Ivan had some pretty kick ass jet kits in the past. Be interesting to see what he came up with.
I've heard that too. And know a couple other people who run them and had good & bad results.

But I'm curious too. Let's see some dyno numbers (not from Ivan) but from OP. Go get your bike dyno'd.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #8
sarapacman99
Climb to Glory!

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R White (sold)

How do we get hold of him?

Old April 14th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #9
tim61
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I've heard that too. And know a couple other people who run them and had good & bad results.

But I'm curious too. Let's see some dyno numbers (not from Ivan) but from OP. Go get your bike dyno'd.
If you are racing on a dyno, go for it. But keep in mind that no 2 dyno's are the same, and there are so many variables, i.e. temperatre, barometric pressure, fuel, etc., etc., that you will be chasing those numbers forever. And this is even more pronounced with low HP engines like ours. I beat a bike that supposedly made 34HP. Leo Vince says my pipe makes 30.5. Who knows? Who cares? Bottom line is I will race my Ninja against any others. And so far, I haven't been bettered. Until I get out run at the track, I will stick with my butt dyno!!!

TimO

Old April 14th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #10
V2Neal
Bad-ass 250 racer

Name: Neal

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r, ATK 605, Honda CR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post

Same here. I have a DynoJet kit installed, and was considering switching to a FactoryPro to try and eliminate a midrange dip I have. My tuner says it's due to needle shape.

Let's see a dyno and get a few more specifics like gearing, weight, etc. Something a little more 'Apples-to-Apples' if you will.
CRA #28. Just wave as you go by!
V2Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #11
tim61
ninjette.org member

I weigh 170. The guy I beat is a little lighter, maybe 160? I am not sure what gearing he was running. I am running the equivelent of 1 tooth smaller in the rear with my DOT's, but they are also a lot larger in circumference than stock. With the rains, I run the equivelent of 3 teeth smaller, but they are smaller in circumference than stock.

Old April 14th, 2011, 04:37 PM   #12
tim61
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2Neal View Post
Same here. I have a DynoJet kit installed, and was considering switching to a FactoryPro to try and eliminate a midrange dip I have. My tuner says it's due to needle shape.
Your tuner is half right. It also has a lot to do with needle length.

Old April 14th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #13
tim61
ninjette.org member

I don't know any way to contact Ivan other than call. He is old school, and doesn't do e-mail.

Old April 14th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #14
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarapacman99 View Post
How do we get hold of him?
http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/

Ivan's Rockland County Motorcycle
175 N. Route 9W - Unit #1
Congers, NY, 10920
Phone: 845-268-1212
Fax: 845-268-8291

Shop Hours:
Mon - Fri 10am-6pm
Sat 10am-2pm Eastern Time

Old April 14th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #15
wayanlam
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

what main jet sizes did you get with the kit?

i looked at some of the images on his website for other jet kits, and only saw 1 set of main jets.

i wonder how its possible to "tune" different bike setups (different exhausts, different intake, and maybe engine mods) with just one size of main jets. cant all be done just with the needle right?

Old April 15th, 2011, 06:55 AM   #16
V2Neal
Bad-ass 250 racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim61 View Post
I weigh 170. The guy I beat is a little lighter, maybe 160? I am not sure what gearing he was running. I am running the equivelent of 1 tooth smaller in the rear with my DOT's, but they are also a lot larger in circumference than stock. With the rains, I run the equivelent of 3 teeth smaller, but they are smaller in circumference than stock.
Cool, thanks!

Old April 15th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #17
tim61
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayanlam View Post
what main jet sizes did you get with the kit?

i looked at some of the images on his website for other jet kits, and only saw 1 set of main jets.

i wonder how its possible to "tune" different bike setups (different exhausts, different intake, and maybe engine mods) with just one size of main jets. cant all be done just with the needle right?
Ivans kit assumes you are running the stock airbox, either with the snorkle and 3 extra holes drilled in the side (not legal by our club rules), or without the snorkle (legal in our club), with a pipe. While I am certain all the different pipe manufacturers think their pipe is superior in power to others, in our experience on the track, they all make about the same power and require about the same jetting. Ivans kit assumes you have the stock mains (that is what I am running at sea level), so he included one size larger in case you are a tad lean. In my opinion, what you are paying for is an awesome set of needles that have been engineered to get the most out of our mini bikes.

Old April 21st, 2011, 10:05 AM   #18
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

I know not all dynos are the same but they give you a general idea what your bike is producing but in all honesty dynojet, factory pro, ivans...wateva...it all comes down to the rider.

These are 250s for pete's sakes not SV650/600/1000cc bikes. Just get your numbers up to par and focus more on suspension/tires than anything else. Then ride your heart out.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2011, 10:48 AM   #19
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim61 View Post
I can ride around any bike in our group. Currently that means 18 other bikes. Everything from pre-gen to 2011 models. These bikes were all running a mix of Dynojet, Factory pro, and modified stock needles/jets. The power difference was substantial, and very obvious. In fact, I will readily admit that the 1st place finishes I scored in both races came against a rider who was cornering faster than I was. He was making about 100 feet on me every lap (2.25 miles), and I could make up that 100' in less than a quarter mile of our front straight. In essence, it was Ivan's jet kit that won those races, not my riding prowess (or lack there of).

Sorry tim but i got a laugh about this. Adam had motor issues all weekend pretty much was running with crap compression in both cylinders. You probably would have got around him with any big brand jet kit just as easy IMHO :P

Old April 21st, 2011, 12:14 PM   #20
tim61
ninjette.org member

I would laugh too, except for the fact that there were 18 other bikes there besides Adam, and somehow I just can't believe all 18 had dead motors. I will also be willing to concede that my 415 chain conversion played a small part in my efforts, but I still think that most of it was how well the bike seemed to carburate.

But, I am not here to argue about horse power numbers, or who's bike is fast or anything. I just wanted to let everyone know I found something that works great for me. Whether or not you decide to go with it or not is entirly up to you, and I am not concerned one way or the other.

TimO

Old April 21st, 2011, 01:31 PM   #21
tim61
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
Sorry tim but i got a laugh about this. Adam had motor issues all weekend pretty much was running with crap compression in both cylinders. You probably would have got around him with any big brand jet kit just as easy IMHO :P
Oh, sorry. I am a little slow to the game. I just figured out you sell your own jet kit. I think I understand your post now.

I am sure all the jet kits work pretty good, and I am certain that many have race wins with your jet kit as well.

Hope everyone is having as much fun with these mini-bikes as I am. What a hoot!!!

Old April 21st, 2011, 01:46 PM   #22
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

I could care less if I sold a jet kit. I was just laughing at your post. Ivan makes a great product as does mark at factory pro. I have nothing but respect for those guys.

I'm just laughing at the way you worded your posts that's all.

Old April 21st, 2011, 06:41 PM   #23
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Should have taken picture of the needles next to the stock ones.
I love looking at needles.....playing with them too

Like the old Qjet days. Fat ones, little ones, even ones with slots

Yeah, yeah, Iam going whacking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Qjet stuff.jpg (282.3 KB, 26 views)

Old April 21st, 2011, 08:10 PM   #24
V2Neal
Bad-ass 250 racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Should have taken picture of the needles next to the stock ones.
I love looking at needles.....playing with them too

Like the old Qjet days. Fat ones, little ones, even ones with slots

Yeah, yeah, Iam going whacking
Oh no, not Quadra junks!

Old May 30th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #25
nick5446
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): Too many

Digging up an old post - hopefully some of y'all are still around!

I'm about to toss Ivan's kit in my bike in a few hours. I was glancing over his instructions and had some questions (I'd call him, but they're closed now).

- "Clip position = #4 with 3 washers on TOP of the needle (to take up the space of the stock needle)" - What does putting washers on top of the needle do? I've put them underneath to shim the needle before, but never on top.
- "For 1/2 step adjustments you may use 1 of the supplied washers under the clip of each needle, but always use a TOTAL of 3 washers!" - Clueless on what this means. He mentions going under the clip (shimming) now.

Any other tips would be appreciated.
nick5446 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #26
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i assume its so the needle doesn't flop around on the diaphragm