ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 10th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #1
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Leaking fluid... should I taste?

Yes, my question is literally as crazy as it sounds.

I took my tank off last night to pull my carbs to futz with my float heights, but discovered some fluid along the left side of the the engine along the valve cover gasket. Upon visual inspection the valve cover and gasket appear to be seated properly. There isn't enough fluid yet that it's all over, so I think I caught it fairly early. The fluid is dirty, so the color doesn't really tell me much, but it does not smell like fuel. It's also not enough to be obvious. I think it's either oil or coolant. The leak appears to start around where the water-pipe goes down into the the block. It seems like this location really could be spot either oil or coolant might leak, but I'm guessing it's more likely coolant. I tried to smell for sweet, but again it's a small enough sample that I'm not possitive.

So.... should I try tasting it? I know coolant is poisonous if you drink it, but a small lick???? I read some sciency thing once about how doctors saved someone who drank coolant by forcing vodka into their system. Apparently the etoh. chemically reverses some badness by converting the death in the coolant to something else. That was my understanding, but I don't think a lick and spit would be bad..... I know Dr.s used to do urine tests by tasting it themselves... years ago of course.

I can't believe I'm actually asking this, but should I try it or commit myself for being a danger to myself?
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #2
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

I've tasted fluids too see if it's coolant, it's quite toxic, but if you get some on your finger, give it a suck and if it's sweet it's coolant.

Don't forget to spit, you're not a whore.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #3
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Don't taste it. Its probably coolant. The hose going into the head has a tendency to leak. Has the valve cover been off?

Coolant taste sweet. And it is poison. If it is just a trace and not enough to drip. Leave it.

Old November 10th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #4
headshrink

OK, I won't taste it... thanks for saving my life.

Old November 10th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #5
Teh_K
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2008 Suzuki GSX-R600, 2006 Suzuki GSX-R600

I would not taste it - if you can get some on your finger, I would imagine oil would be more slippery, oily than coolant.

Has the valve cover ever been off? I know you said it looks sealed, but it's possible it might not be if it was removed and not put back on correctly.

I would wipe it all up, and just keep an eye on it. If it comes up again soon, the coolant should be a watery green, and if it comes up again soon as dark, it's probably oil.
Teh_K is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #6
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16

Old November 10th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #7
headshrink

Yes, it's been off several times. I've done a handful of valve adjustments, but the last one was long enough ago that I would have seen leakage earlier if that was the problem. I just removed the cover and inspected everything. It appears there is a little brown-milky fluid around the pipe, which I'm assuming right now is coolant.

I pulled the pipe and inspected it. (Did the same on my spare [original] motor that lives on a stand in the corner, for reference.) There isn't anything obvious, but the gasket is probably worn, thus the cause of the leak.

I was dreading leaving my bike in pieces over the next week and hitching rides while I wait for a $.77 + $5-10 shipping part, until I remembered something....... A few years ago I purchased in advanced all the parts the manual calls for for one of the major services. This one included all the gaskets for the water lines. I never installed them because I didn't think something that wasn't broke needed fixing. I dug through my parts and sure enough, I've got two spares! Not only that but I cataloged it in a way that is idiot-proof so I'd know what it was later.

Feelin' awesome right now!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 10th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #8
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Sweeeeeeeeet

Old November 10th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #9
pdxdavid
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

Wow. You are smart. Every time I put something away where I can find it. I don't find it again until I don't need it again. Good stuff.
pdxdavid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #10
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I demand a poll!! The answer's always yes. YOLO!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old November 11th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #11
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Just for reference, I think it is also the same as the small o-ring you get with the fram/aftermarket oil filters.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #12
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
Just for reference, I think it is also the same as the small o-ring you get with the fram/aftermarket oil filters.
Thanks for stating that. I had the same thought, but got distracted before I could verify. I've got a TON of those things lying around then.

EDIT: I just cross-referenced the part numbers, and can confirm these are indeed the same.