ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

View Poll Results: Have you taken the MSF course?
Yes 329 85.90%
No 54 14.10%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 4th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #241
smiley424

I would if they had it available here on Guam but they don't. I'm told either the Air Force base or Navy base has the course available, but only for military personnel.

Old July 4th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #242
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

i did take the MSF course. my feedback: 10/10
-the instructors were really patient with those who had some difficulty.
- i learned things i never knew
-glad i took the MSF because i use those skills daily (slow maneuvering, turning techniques etc...)
-can't wait to take the advanced course next May
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #243
GetBusyLiving
I'm Fun Size not short.

Name: G-Hop

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250r

Took the MSF course through TEAM Arizona. I had zero experience on a motorcycle so it def helped and gave me enough confidence once I got my own bike. The class was a lot fun and the instructors were awesome

Ill more than likely take another class through in the future as they have many to choose from. Knowledge is Power!
GetBusyLiving is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #244
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

i never took one because i started out when i was probably 10yrs old on my first dirt bike.. had them from 10 to around 23.. dirtbikes, atv's, atc's.. and rode them all the time, not just a little bit. at around 24 i got my first motorcycle and i guess just from the experience riding the dirtbikes and atvs i felt like i never needed a class, just went to the DMV and took the test and got my license. im sure i could learn something from the class .. funny story when i got the 250 a month or so ago i didnt realize when i renewed my license last year i didnt renew the motorcycle endorsement, havent owned a bike in probably 3yrs.. so i had to take the road test again.. well the instructor owned a new goldwing, as he is telling me what to do for the test and there was one part that you had to ride through these cones doing like 2-3mph without putting your feet down, well i was joking with him theres no way you can run that goldwing through these little narrow cones.. he just looked at me and laughed saying yes i can! so after the test was over he says hold on a minute, jumps on this massive goldwing and runs through the cones like it was nothing.. had that thing leaning over like it was a sportbike.. i just sat there and was like WOW! he is the instructor of the saftey course also.. had me thinking man i should join this class and see what he is teaching..loL! he was telling me he actually does a advanced class specifically for sportbikes also.
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #245
kkim

Ed,

you should take the course.

It's not only a skills class, but a safety awareness mindset that points you in the right direction on how to survive when street riding. I've ridden dirt and street bikes for over 40 years and riding on the street is way more dangerous than doing it in the dirt. Gaining knowledge from a course that has been already distilled down to the essentials saves you from having to learn them the hard way.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #246
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

yeah im considering it.. guy at the DMV seems pretty cool.
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #247
PsychoNinja
Ninja Dog

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

I took and passed my MSF class March of this year. Definitely worth while! It taught me the skills necessary to pass the driving test and those skills have saved my butt at least once so far!

Old July 7th, 2011, 06:20 AM   #248
gatito
ninjette.org newbie

Name: kelvin

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r 2010

i took it last month and it was fun and i learn so much every one should take it... i felt sorry for a girl she did almost everything but she was so nervous the she drop the bike " she never rode before the msf" anyways she got up and left. other than that it was fun and the instructor are good.
gatito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 05:30 AM   #249
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
I took it, even though I'd already been riding for many years, mostly overseas and on dirt. While I felt like I was a more advanced rider that didn't need to practice learning where the clutch sweet spot was or reviewing how to get on a motorcycle, I found it very useful.

While some of it was too basic, it was a nice tool to refocus me on safety and shore up my foundations. I learned I wasn't really as advanced as I thought, despite my years of experience, and that I'd been thinking about a few things incorrectly. I'd recommend the course to anyone as a must, even if your state does not require it for your license.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2011, 08:01 AM   #250
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

I had never ridden or even sat on a bike before I took the course...

Unfortunately for me it rained both days we had to actually ride and that really made me more nervous about riding. The instructors were able to show us all the drills with ease and make it look easy but I was very hesitant about turning and leaning with the bike. The bike I used was pretty bad as well. I was having a very hard time shifting and they kept telling me there was nothing wrong with the bike until one of the instructors took mine out to demonstrate something and had the same problems I did.

For the actual skills test I think I barely passed. I got 19 points and was told that 21 was failing. I'm glad I passed though because I don't think I would have gone back if I hadn't. After it was all over I really felt like I needed much more practice, on a nice sunny dry day. I loved the course for teaching me everything and doing it in a way that is very friendly and encouraging. The instructors were awesome and very patient with us.

My only recommendation would be to make a dedicated course for new riders to take before the BRC (Basic Rider Course). Myself and the other new riders all felt like we needed more practice time. It seems we only did each drill for about 5-10 minutes before we moved on to the next. At that pace we never felt comfortable on any one drill before we moved on to the next one. Because of that, the first things I'm doing with my bike are practicing all the low speed drills I didn't feel right about in an empty parking lot.

Bottom line, the course is amazing. I want my wife to take it just so she can learn how to ride a bike. I'm in the military so it was free but I would be more than willing to pay the money to take it if I wasn't.
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 08:52 PM   #251
GeorgiaHooligan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Aaron

The last time I posted my views on the MSF I found myself banned from this forum. kind of ironic....
GeorgiaHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 09:06 PM   #252
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

No, you were given a break because you were calling other board members nazis when they didn't agree with your, well, non-mainstream views on the MSF.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2011, 07:03 PM   #253
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

Took it in Ohio. It (1) taught me valuable skills, (2) increased my confidence, (3) lowered my insurance a little bit, and (4) finally gave me my MC endorsement that I'd been riding without for over 10 years!
2011Ninja250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #254
GeorgiaHooligan
ninjette.org guru

The nazi comment was due to the bashing. And I meant it in a sarcastic manner. I was also told I was being too negative. Everyone has their own opinions with entitlement .

Old July 26th, 2011, 01:48 PM   #255
JarJarBinx19
ninjette.org member

Name: Jarra

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

With zero bike experience and no bike and someone to teach me, the MSF course was the way to go and I don't regret it one bit. I took out here in cali in hayward/newark and I have to say the instructors were awesome! They were totally laid back, pulled jokes, talked about their own riding experiences and they were really helpful if I had trouble with something. I got that paper, turned it into the dmv, and got my M1 license
JarJarBinx19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #256
quis41990
ninjette.org member

Name: Marquis

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250cc

I thought I knew how to ride a bike before I took the MSF course early this month, man I was wrong. The course is required here in Florida if you want your endorsement. The stuff they teach is very valuable. I learned alot from taking the course. My only gripe was we took the course on cruisers and not sport bikes. I messed alot on my first day trying to get used to the cruiser style bikes.
But by all means take the course. Not only do you save on your insurance. It could also save your life as well.
quis41990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 10:17 AM   #257
GeorgiaHooligan
ninjette.org guru

msf = waste of money. If you can read, buy a book and learn.

Old July 30th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #258
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHooligan View Post
I would certainly venture to say you are quite in the minority here. Most new riders (or even veteran riders with open minds) get some kind of crucial safety skill out of the class. Msf does NOT equal waste of money IMHO.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #259
seis gunnar
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R SE Lime Green

Quote:
Everyone has different learning styles. If you can read a book and learn the required skills, good for you. But as someone who learns best by doing, I thought the MSF was very useful.

Another plus, in passing the course I didn't have to go take the skills exam for my endorsement.
seis gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #260
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by seis gunnar View Post

Another plus, in passing the course I didn't have to go take the skills exam for my endorsement.

Yep! LOVED this! It was much less pressure to take the "test" with your instructors you'd been working with for days than it would have been to go to a DMV and do it, for me anyway.

Old July 31st, 2011, 09:12 AM   #261
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

I did not take it because my local site is not very well thought of.
They are more a $400 way to guarantee you get a motorcycle endorsement on your license. If you pay you pass, drops don't count during test, you just start over till you get it right 1 time.

I took my lic test the old fashion way.. I studied, watched videos, read books and practiced only to be disappointed by the actual road test.
Which consisted of me stopping at the top of an incline out of the DL parking lot (I guess most stop on the incline and stall bike trying to take off slow), I then went about 150ft to a left turn followed by an immediate left right back into the DL station... test passed but I'll take it
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2011, 01:57 PM   #262
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

In NY, if you have your motorcycle permit, you have to have a fully licensed motorcycle driver within a quarter mile of you at all times. This also applies to the skills test at the DMV. Therefore, you have to bring that person with you to the test site, with a fully legal vehicle for them and the license examiner to ride behind you and grade you. That way, if you don't pass, you can still ride the bike home legally. For me, who doesn't know someone to be my supervising rider, and the fact that it seems there is a lot of information to be gleaned from the MSF, plus a waiver of the skills test, that is the most beneficial way to go. Hopefully, I can take the course this summer before the season ends.
Posted via Mobile Device
JLinde1339 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2011, 02:36 PM   #263
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Never took it, and never will. If you're a complete newb, i dont think its a bad idea, but if you've already been riding for years...save the bucks and go for a track day instead.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 08:53 PM   #264
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moe

Motorcycle(s): None

Just completed the MSF through the Navy today, 3 months after getting the bike. We got done around 1pm so I went to the DMV in Alexandria and also knocked out my license test and got my endorsement On thursday I am taking the MSRC (military sportbike rider course)

Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:35 AM   #265
Pete22x
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): '09 SE GREEN 250

I had never ridden a motorcycle before and I just took the MSF BRC last month. It was extremely intimidating at first.. but I toughed it out and I'm glad I took it. I definitely recommend it to all the new riders out there, but if you've already ridden.. than the BRC 1 is probably too slow paced for you. Maybe it was just my instructor, but it seemed like we didn't learn too much more than basic maneuvers.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:55 AM   #266
Pete22x
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): '09 SE GREEN 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
Never took it, and never will. If you're a complete newb, i dont think its a bad idea, but if you've already been riding for years...save the bucks and go for a track day instead.
Agree, there's only so much you can learn in a parking lot. Of course.. I am a total noob and the course taught me a lot, but I walked away feeling like I was ripped off.. I wanted to learn so much more.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:53 AM   #267
GeorgiaHooligan
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I would certainly venture to say you are quite in the minority here. Most new riders (or even veteran riders with open minds) get some kind of crucial safety skill out of the class. Msf does NOT equal waste of money IMHO.
Everyone has their opinions. The class I took was a joke. I wonder how many msf classes Rossi and Ben spies took. Is drivers ed. really requierd to drive a car properly? nope.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:55 AM   #268
GeorgiaHooligan
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Agree, there's only so much you can learn in a parking lot. Of course.. I am a total noob and the course taught me a lot, but I walked away feeling like I was ripped off.. I wanted to learn so much more.

Thats because you were ripped off.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 11:09 AM   #269
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Is drivers ed. really requierd to drive a car properly? nope.

Look at all the idiots on the road these days. The answer, IT SHOULD BE!

Old August 3rd, 2011, 11:46 AM   #270
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

When I took my msf course I had never ridden a motorcycle before. I signed up for the class after realizing that, after loving motorcycles all my life, I was ready to begin my motorcycling adventure. The first day was in-class instruction for 2-3 hours in which we were taught that we are invisible on the road and basic classes of motorcycles, etc. Then when we actually began on the bikes it was one of the best feelings in my life. I can honestly say that even though the entire class cost me $125 it was worth every penny. I feel sorry for those that feel like the class wasn't worth it. If I never took the course then I don't feel like I would be able to say I've never crashed and considering a crash generally costs over $125 the class has already paid for itself; not to mention a discount on insurance. If a moderate rider were to take the class then I feel as though they would find it much less useful than a first-timer. I was asked by my instructor to come back after a few thousand miles and teach a class myself; I've been considering it. Maybe if I do I could convince some new riders to join our great forum with a ninjette as their first bike.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:55 PM   #271
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

I did not take one back in '98 when I first started riding but stopped riding in '99 when I joined the USAF.
Took one in '03 due to military requirement and was looking to get another bike. Did not get a bike and never filed for motorcycle endorsement.
Obtained motorcycle endorsement earlier this year and will take another MSF course as a good refresher.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #272
wtf
ninjette.org member

Name: sean

Motorcycle(s): '13 Monster 696 ABS, '08 250R Ninja, Black (Sold),

I took the MSF twice actually in back-to-back weeks (in '08). I failed the skills course (error in the box) by a couple of points. The instructors were nice enough to let me take the practice and skills test again and easily passed. More seat time did it.
wtf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #273
CharlieBucket
ninjette.org member

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250 and 1982 Yamaha Maxim 750

Thumbs up Absolutely! So should everyone!

I took the class three years ago. I was flat broke from college and moving and job searching and all that, and the nearly $300 was a LOT of money for me at the time, but I'd do it again in a heart-beat. I had never ridden before, but the class was made up of a variety of skill levels, so we all learned from each other as well as the instructors.

Basically, it comes down to this: You might know how to operate a motorcycle, but the class teaches you to ride.

I highly recommend reading the MSF Motorcycling Excellence book in addition to taking the class - the same material is covered, but the book has more room for detailed explanation. The book is not a substitute for the class, though. There is simply no better way to learn than by getting on a bike under the supervision of a qualified coach.
CharlieBucket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2011, 09:50 AM   #274
ninjagaiden09
ninjette.org member

Name: Mel

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

I took the course and I can say that it's well worth it. I highly recommend it to any people that's riding or thinking of getting a motorcyle.
ninjagaiden09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 12:41 PM   #275
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Believe it or not, I learned how to ride from spending hours upon hours of reading faq.ninja250.org. That also made me pick a ninja 250 for my first bike too The only reason I didn't take a MSF course was because it was full for the rest of the season. Even though I added myself to the waiting list, I never got a call even though I annoyed the company with my phone calls every 2 weeks for an opening. I am proud to say I never dropped my bike while learning and to this day I have yet to drop it. Personally, I would rather have taken the MSF course because teaching myself was extremely difficult, especially downshifting and leaning in a turn. I think the only reason I am one of the few that hasn't wrecked(from lack of an instructor on how to ride) is because I don't seek the thrills of 'racing' from red light to red light like other motorcycles.
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2011, 01:27 PM   #276
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

I thought my MSF class was excellent. I had an amazing group of riders even though for many it was only their first time ever on a bike. We had no one drop their bike, kill their bike, drop the clutch, crash, or anything! It went very smooth! I loved my instructors as well, they were hilarious and very down to Earth which made putting up with the boring parts of the class much more enjoyable (not saying that I didn't fall asleep a time or two though... Or three haha...) Even now after the class I still ride with one of my MSF instructors and his buddies which always turn out to be WICKED rides!! Totally different experience for my younger brother though, he hated it, his classmates sucked (some dude who had never ridden before went out and bought a Busa before taking this course, and attended class wearing full racing leathers in 110 degree heat, he quit the first day of riding lol) they also rather enjoyed playing bumper cars with their bikes. This is all through the same school and instructors lol... He just got stuck in a class of suck! sorry bro!

Old September 3rd, 2011, 02:47 PM   #277
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

No. I would have, but I could wait 6 months without riding so I got my license instead.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 04:59 PM   #278
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Wow, this is an old thread. We're necroposting for sure.

In my case, the MSF is required by law here in FL. The instructors pity passed me, but I still came away from it learning a few things. We rode for about 8 hours total I guess. That's just not really enough IMHO. About twice as much riding time would be better.

Old September 11th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #279
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Here in WA if you're a minor you must take the msf course to get an endorsement, which is part of why I took it. I also took it because its probably the smartest thing for a beginner rider to do and I definitely learned a lot from it, some of which I already knew from spending countless hours on this great forum :P Now I'm racking up the miles on my bike and learning more and more every day!
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #280
Heed

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

Yes I have. Yay

so glad I did.

+ cheaper insurance

go us!
Heed is offline   Reply With Quote