ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old June 27th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #1
rdrgoB
ninjette.org member

Name: Unspecified

Motorcycle(s): None

High revving ninja, kept at low rpms?

I guess this is somewhat of the same post I tried in another forum. I got my bike and joined a couple, but now can't decide where to stay. But besides being a little whorish as a result of getting my bike, I have some serious thoughts.

So I've been riding my little Ninja every hour I get after work and before nightfall and have gotten quite comfortable on it (mostly at speeds up to 35mph so far - I'm taking it slow). I am developing my riding style and I quite enjoy it, but have a few questions whether they are frowned upon. I've seen a lot of back and fourth on it elsewhere and wondered what this community thought.

I'm practicing mostly in residential neighborhoods so to keep the noise down I shift at around 5k rpm and let the bike cruise at around 4k rpm. I know this is below the peak power, but is there anything wrong, as in damaging, with this? We hear about the redline but what about the other side of the spectrum?

Side Note:
Also, I've gotten into the habit of downshifting to slow down a lot. I blip throttle and regulate the clutch to get smooth downshifts when I need to slow down. It helps me keep track of the gears and I feel like I have way more control over the bike - but I barely touch the break until I'm ready to stop. The bike is pretty old and I don't want to shorten the life of the clutch even more (I hear Ninja's can go for a long time well maintained, but most that I've seen around don't have 17k miles like mine). I realize regardless of whether this damages the clutch I should tap my brakes to warn the people behind me; I'm working on it.
rdrgoB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #2
PsHYk
ninjette.org member

Name: Pshyk

Motorcycle(s): 2012-250R

i dont see why it would be a bad thing to keep the rpms low...
maybe if youre in like 6th gear and going 20mph that might cause a little stress on the engine but im not sure...
PsHYk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #3
str8t six
never enough

Name: josh

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 ninja 250R

running low RPM's is fine.

but you should atleast put pressure on the brake so it will light up your taillight to warn other cars.

custom graphics, zero gravity DB
str8t six is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #4
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Not a two stroke...so it shouldn't. But like you said...keep pressure on rear or front brake so that you're keeping others aware...and make sure you actually practice braking as well. Emergency braking too. Get like a plastic bottle...brake as fast as you can so you stop quickly, then place the bottle there...and try to stop before it. Measure the distance, and compare to others... there are better techniques out there though lol!

Old June 28th, 2012, 09:14 AM   #5
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

It's been said on other forums that riding around at low RPMs can cause carbon buildup on the exhaust valves, but I'm not sure how much truth there is to that since even at 6K, the valves are traveling quite fast.

Carbon buildup aside, just make sure you're not lugging the engine. If you're experiencing any 'bucking' or shaking during acceleration, kick down a gear, as this is very bad for the bottom end...worse, in fact than riding around at high rpms.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #6
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

I ride at low rpms regularly, with occasional forays above 8 to 10k to kick loose any potential carbon buildup. As someone who is relatively new on a bike I like the lower power in the lower rpm range. I feel like the bike won't get away from me if I make a throttle input mistake. I think when (if) I upgrade to a Street Triple I will use this method to get used to it!
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
4k is about the minimum. below that and it starts to lug. as long as its not lugging you are fine.

Old June 29th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #8
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrgoB View Post
Side Note:
Also, I've gotten into the habit of downshifting to slow down a lot. I blip throttle and regulate the clutch to get smooth downshifts when I need to slow down. It helps me keep track of the gears and I feel like I have way more control over the bike - but I barely touch the break until I'm ready to stop. The bike is pretty old and I don't want to shorten the life of the clutch even more

Keep in mind that brakes are much cheaper than engines, so you may want to consider using more brakes along with engine braking. Like you stated, people behind you need to see your brake light come on, so using your brakes to stop is a good thing.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2012, 07:57 AM   #9
rdrgoB
ninjette.org member

Name: Unspecified

Motorcycle(s): None

Thanks for the input guys. I'm working on using my brakes more, but I'm still doing some engine braking. It's way more fun

And since I'm getting more comfortable on the bike I'm starting to rev it higher. Riding a motorcycle alone is fun, but I'm learning the awesomeness of the Ninja!
rdrgoB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2012, 08:24 AM   #10
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. I'm working on using my brakes more, but I'm still doing some engine braking. It's way more fun

And since I'm getting more comfortable on the bike I'm starting to rev it higher. Riding a motorcycle alone is fun, but I'm learning the awesomeness of the Ninja!
Glad to know you're learning, be aware I try and keep my bike above 5k rpms except on take off and stops or slows traffic. I hate the lugging feeling and didn't even know it was bad. Also the bike isn't that loud stock, ask a friend to stand by somewhere as you pass him/her with some medium high rpms and see what they think.
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
...........I'm practicing mostly in residential neighborhoods...........
Rodrigo,

You should educate yourself to always keep the proper gear, which will load the engine in the range of 6K to 10K, regardless the velocity of the bike (except when coming to a stop).

What you are doing is not incorrect; however, in order to survive street traffic, you will need to learn some skills beyond basic operation of the bike.

If you have not done so yet, I would recommend you to take the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course.

Best!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2012, 01:36 AM   #12
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
You should educate yourself to always keep the proper gear, which will load the engine in the range of 6K to 10K, regardless the velocity of the bike (except when coming to a stop).
Don't scare the man. Screaming around the residental neighbourhood @9k rpm and doing 30 mph is just bad manners, and has nothing to do with your engine well being.

Keeping it between 4-6k is completely reasonable in normal city driving. Everything else is basically a waste of fuel, excess noise and heat production.
You do not need peek power to accelerate slightly better than an average car, or to move at 30 mph. And you do not need to ride agressively between traffic lights because it will not save time at all, it just increases the chances of something going wrong.

High rpm engines are NOT durable engines, whatever we may like to think. Ninjette with 20k miles has probably less than 800 engine work hours, probably in 2 years or more. Compare that to marine diesels, which do those hours every 2 months, and work at peak power almost all the time.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote