ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 30th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #1
zzrguy
ninjette.org member

Name: Lostboy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 ZZR 250

Exclamation Engine won't start. Clicking sound

I have a 2002 zzr 250 and the engine only has 10k on it. It was running perfectly fine and then i stopped in a store for an hour came back out and tried to start it but all it would do is make clicking sounds. There is power because all the lights come on but as soon as i press the starter button it clicks and then the power goes away for a minute or two. anyone got an idea? please help!
zzrguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2011, 07:49 AM   #2
money
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

My completely unprofessional opinion is that it could be a battery issue. Have you tested it?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 30th, 2011, 07:49 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Dead battery, perhaps faulty charging system.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2011, 08:12 AM   #4
zzrguy
ninjette.org member

not a dead battery, the lights power up fully many times and the indicators work

Old May 30th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #5
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Most likely weak battery; enough to power bulbs, but not enough power to start the bike.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2011, 08:32 AM   #6
Tony B
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): GPX250 + many others!

Try tightening the battery connections first, and make sure they are clean, no verdigris or corrosion. Bike I just bought the PO said he thought the solenoid was dodgy, sometimes it just clicked, turned out to be the battery leads weren't tight.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #7
kkim

how old is the battery?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #8
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

Since no one has mentioned it yet, have you checked the battery? J/K
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 05:15 AM   #9
zzrguy
ninjette.org member

Exclamation

I tested the battery and its fine, i took the bike apart and when i click the ignition i feel and hear a click coming from the 30a fuse, any ideas?

Old May 31st, 2011, 07:30 AM   #10
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzrguy View Post
I tested the battery and its fine, i took the bike apart and when i click the ignition i feel and hear a click coming from the 30a fuse, any ideas?
How did you check the battery? Sometimes a battery will indicated that it is putting out enough volts but the amperage to turn the starter may be low.

Also check your charging system to make sure it is charging your battery. In most cases if the battery is old and has not been regularly maintained it may just be weak. Replace with a new one and see if you have the same problem.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 07:43 AM   #11
road_rascal
ninjette.org member

Name: ___

Motorcycle(s): ___

I would load test the battery. Like DaBlue1 said, it may be putting out voltage but the amps will sag when trying to start. If you can afford it get an AGM battery. If you get a wet cell (lead acid) at least put it on a trickle charger for 24 hours before you put it in a bike. The battery will last longer.
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 07:27 AM   #12
zzrguy
ninjette.org member

delete thread!
Bike was fixed and it was just a bad battery! phew! thanks guys

Old June 1st, 2011, 09:59 AM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Glad it's up and running! Definitely don't want to delete the thread though, as it might come in handy in the future when people encounter similar symptoms.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #14
cri22le
ninjette.org member

Name: United States

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Glad it's up and running! Definitely don't want to delete the thread though, as it might come in handy in the future when people encounter similar symptoms.
helped me just right now
thanks!!!
cri22le is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #15
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Motorcycle batteries are funny that way. They can go bad and run low amperage loads at full voltage, but then die when you try to crank with them. I had a nearly identical problem with a LiFe battery a while back.

But it happens a lot. A friend went to lunch with me one time and when it was time to go, he tried to start his Ninja and it died. The oil light came on and then the whole system died as soon as he hit the starter. I used a volt meter on it and it read zero volts. We spent a good bit of time looking for blown fuses and broken wires, but it turned out that it was just the battery. The same battery started the bike to get him to the restaurant an hour before with no signs of trouble.

Note that with zero volts, you can't even push start the bike.

Meanwhile, I live close to the restaurant and went back home and got my 6 year old Kawasaki OEM battery that I had swapped because it was getting weak. Put it in his bike and it started just fine.

To PROPERLY test your battery. Put a voltmeter on the battery terminals. A fully charged battery will read 12.7 volts (sometimes there is a surface charge right after charging that will make it read higher). If the battery reads less than 12.5 volts immediately after a ride, then you are in serious danger of getting stranded. The voltage should not drop below 9-10 volts when you crank it. If it does, its not a good battery.

Old October 26th, 2014, 05:15 PM   #16
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Thank You for not deleting it!
I am having the same problems. My bike turned off at an intersection at a red light and luckily I was on the farthest right lane so I just pulled up into an empty parking lot nearby. I tried charging it with a car for about an hour and tried push starting it and nothing. It would just click. After about an hour, I tried another push start, it worked, and I went straight home. I know the battery is faulty because a while back I took it to Auto zone and they told me one of the cells was dead. Knowing this, I decided to squeeze every drop of juice out of that battery before buying a new one. I think now is the time to buy another one. Any suggestions as to which one? And how do I know which part number? I called wal-mart and nothing, other car part shops sell them for about $134. Amazon has them at about $30 so now I just need to know which one. If no one replies in this old thread I will just post a new one.

Old October 27th, 2014, 07:24 AM   #17
zhuuka
Turtle Dancer

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Rob View Post
Thank You for not deleting it!
I am having the same problems. My bike turned off at an intersection at a red light and luckily I was on the farthest right lane so I just pulled up into an empty parking lot nearby. I tried charging it with a car for about an hour and tried push starting it and nothing. It would just click. After about an hour, I tried another push start, it worked, and I went straight home. I know the battery is faulty because a while back I took it to Auto zone and they told me one of the cells was dead. Knowing this, I decided to squeeze every drop of juice out of that battery before buying a new one. I think now is the time to buy another one. Any suggestions as to which one? And how do I know which part number? I called wal-mart and nothing, other car part shops sell them for about $134. Amazon has them at about $30 so now I just need to know which one. If no one replies in this old thread I will just post a new one.

Could always check Revzilla for your battery. The YUSA one that fits Ninja 250r's is $64.00 and they pay your tax and have free shipping!

Videos!
Twitterthingermajigger
zhuuka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2014, 08:25 AM   #18
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzrguy View Post
Bike was fixed and it was just a bad battery! phew! thanks guys
haha who woulda thunk!

BAtteries can just go bad at anytime. Always load test them if ya have too.

Push start it next time :P Never miss a ride... I mean NEVER!
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote