ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 18th, 2009, 05:08 AM   #121
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
You and me both buddy. Money is tight but we will make it happen!!!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #122
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Just a quick update for fellow Ninjetters:

I gapped and replaced my spark plugs with a fresh set of NGK's and the bike starts up a bit quicker and, more importantly, sounds a bit meaners. It revs slightly faster but seems to rev with greater umph...if you know what I mean.

I can't ride this weekend because of a little hand injury (non-bike related), so I'll have to give you my report next week.

Any questions that you have on the Area-P exhaust, shoot them this way.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #123
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

A quick question.... could be a dumb one.

Is the muffler section a permanent core construction like the original equipment mufflers on my EX-250?

In other words, it doesn't have to be re-packed periodically like some of the other aftermarket mufflers I've read about?

If you're thinking this is a dumb question, at least I warned you ahead of time!
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #124
kkim

It needs to be repacked, but to date, I have not heard of anyone that has had to repack an Area P muffler. They use some high faluting packing material that stands up very well to use.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #125
greg737
-

Okay, that's interesting...

Good to hear that you don't know of anyone who's had to repack one yet.

I'd like to know more about the expected lifespan of the material it's packed with. Is there any guidance or information from the Area P folks as to how long the packing is expected to last? Is it a year or two or three. Or is it a certain number of miles? Will the exhaust get progressively louder and louder as it ages? I guess I could venture over to the Area P website to hunt for some information.

I'm not sure what "high fault" packing material is, has a good sound to it though.

Old May 27th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #126
kkim

lol... high faluting= highfalutin= fancy.

http://www.areapnolimits.com/silentsport.html

Old May 27th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #127
greg737
-

Separated by a common language...

I totally misread that. Oh well.

Being from Alabama originally I would've gotten it if you'd spelled it: falutin'

Old May 27th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #128
kkim

yeah, my bad.

Old May 27th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #129
greg737
-

Found it. Yeah, this shizzil is high falutin'

Old May 27th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #130
kkim

yep.. when I bought my AP exhaust a year ago, I was going to order some repacking material at the same time. Kerry advised me to wait and see how long my packing will last before ordering some, so I did. To date, 2600 miles later, I'm still happy with the way the muffler performs. I know when packing blows out as I used to ride dirt bikes with mufflers with packing in it.

Old May 28th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #131
kbryant
Area P

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Too many to list

Very common to go well over 20,000 miles. Some never need repacking at all. We've had several 250R mufflers returned to us for repack service/inspection. One had 10,000 miles, the other had 14,000 miles on them. We disassembled and inspected. They required no packing to be added and had absolutely no loss of material. We reassembled and returned them to the customers at no charge. The Silent Sport Premium from Germany is the best muffler packing material by far. With such a high burn rate (over 1300 F.), it simply does not wear out very easily. The 250R muffler temp does not come anywhere near those temps. So the material has little chance of burn out. We also take great care when we precisely pack each muffler. That in itself makes a very big difference in longevity.

Last futzed with by kbryant; May 28th, 2009 at 08:20 AM. Reason: spelling
kbryant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #132
logintoseepics
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2004 yellow

Thanks for the replies about the packing material.

Kerry, are you accepting payment yet, or just pre-orders without payment? If I were to pay now, how long would I be expected to wait before receiving? Just curious. I'm willing to wait til end of summer if you guys are not in production yet on these, but I would prefer not to pay too far ahead of time because of credit card interest

I want to re-gear the bike a little taller and having the extra bit of power from this exhaust would help out.
logintoseepics is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #133
greg737
-

I like the sound of that idea

Quote:
I want to re-gear the bike a little taller and having the extra bit of power from this exhaust would help out.
This matches my thinking about what to do with any extra zip the Area P mod would deliver.

I love the two-into-one looks and I'm pretty well satisfied with my EX-250's current acceleration and highway capability. A little reduction in the highway revs would be welcome as long as I don't have to lose any of the bike's current off-the-line performance. This seems like a good way to accomplish that.

Old May 28th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #134
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by logintoseepics View Post
Thanks for the replies about the packing material.

Kerry, are you accepting payment yet, or just pre-orders without payment? If I were to pay now, how long would I be expected to wait before receiving? Just curious. I'm willing to wait til end of summer if you guys are not in production yet on these, but I would prefer not to pay too far ahead of time because of credit card interest

My pleasure. We are accepting pre-orders (no payment info required). Anyone contacting us through our website is logged into a file for the "Pre-08" system. As soon as we actually have them in production (scheduled to begin in about 60 days), we will contact everyone and keep you informed of when they will be complete and ready to ship.

Old May 28th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #135
carsnowmen91
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Rene

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki ZZ-R250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbryant View Post
Here is the final dyno chart. As Purspeed has indicated by his experiences with the system, the graph will help draw some correlation to what he is actually feeling. The power increase is upwards of 3 hp and 3 tq in some areas. Overall average is about 10 - 12%. The Dyno graph will not completely show you how linear your power and throttle response actually feels from the weight savings, spot-on jetting, and the big increase in low end torque. That can only be fully appreciated from actually riding.

When you have that kind of increase in low end hp/tq on a small displacement engine, as well as lowering the rpm ceiling where it makes peak power, you simply get there much quicker. This was critical in our R&D of the system. The feeling of improvement in actual acceleration is more linear; and you don't need the dyno to show that. That's the kind of improvement you actually "feel". Sometimes we refer to it as the "seat of the pants dyno".

are these the gains with both intake pods and exhaust with proper jetting? why did the 08 ninja get a whopping 7 whp gain (i'm asking this question if your answer to the previous one is yes)?
carsnowmen91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #136
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I just put my order in. I can't wait.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #137
logintoseepics
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2004 yellow

Quote:
My pleasure. We are accepting pre-orders (no payment info required). Anyone contacting us through our website is logged into a file for the "Pre-08" system. As soon as we actually have them in production (scheduled to begin in about 60 days), we will contact everyone and keep you informed of when they will be complete and ready to ship.
Excellent, that means I am already in Que as I spoke with you and put down my request a month or so ago through email. Was just checking to see exactly how you are working it at this time. Thanks for the info!
logintoseepics is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #138
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsnowmen91 View Post
are these the gains with both intake pods and exhaust with proper jetting? why did the 08 ninja get a whopping 7 whp gain (i'm asking this question if your answer to the previous one is yes)?
Yes. Uni-Filters and Dynojet kit, properly adjusted/tuned. If you are looking at the dyno chart on our website for the '08-09 model, the actual net gain was just over 5 hp. The "7 hp" you are referring to was comparing actual peak power of the Area P system (12250 rpm = 30.72 hp), to where the OEM system was at the same rpm (12250 rpm = 23.85 hp). On average, most customers seem to be averaging in the 3.5 - 5 hp range.

Specifically, as noted previously, the '88 - 07 model is simply stronger in baseline form, has a much freer flowing oem exhaust, and does not respond to changes as well as the '08-09 model does. The '08-09 model makes slightly less baseline power stock, but it responds much better to changes as it has been restricted more by emissions standards both at the exhaust and intake than the '88-07 model was.

Old May 28th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #139
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

...looking forward to fellow members receiving this exhaust!

it's kind of lonely on top...

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)

Old May 29th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #140
Verus Cidere

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Quote:
Ok.... Let me be absolutely sure on this..... You guys are allowing us to send a pre-order, which gives you the correct number of them to make and the specifications we want. You begin production in 2 months, give or take a few days. Are you asking for payment before, at the start of, or after production? If I don't have to pay until after it's already built, I'll definitely send you an order. As of right now though, I'm having a bit of trouble saving money around the random things that appear that require me to pay for them.

Old June 1st, 2009, 09:43 AM   #141
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus Cidere View Post
Ok.... Let me be absolutely sure on this..... You guys are allowing us to send a pre-order, which gives you the correct number of them to make and the specifications we want. You begin production in 2 months, give or take a few days. Are you asking for payment before, at the start of, or after production? If I don't have to pay until after it's already built, I'll definitely send you an order. As of right now though, I'm having a bit of trouble saving money around the random things that appear that require me to pay for them.
We would never ask anyone to pre-pay for an order that is not ready to assemble and/or in stock. You would only pay when it is ready to ship. Just drop us an e-mail directly to say you are interested in ordering. We will then add your name to the list of those interested and contact you when the systems are actually available. We need nothing more than your serious interest at this point.

Last futzed with by kbryant; June 1st, 2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Old June 1st, 2009, 10:56 AM   #142
ulfjr
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

Okay, I have a few questions about the exhaust kit. First, are you still planning on doing the deal when you buy a dynojet kit with the exhaust? Also, is this something that most anybody should be able to install themselves (I understand that rejetting the carbs is in order, and have never done that)? Last, is the standard (stainless steel) chromed, or more of a flat silver? If I get one it would probably be the standard stainless steel as long as it is not super shiny.

Thanks
ulfjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2009, 11:42 AM   #143
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Ryan - do you have a bike to put the exhaust on yet? Is it a pre-gen or a 2008+?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2009, 12:03 PM   #144
ulfjr
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

No, I don't have a bike yet but I am going to be buying a pregen sometime this week or next.
ulfjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2009, 12:08 PM   #145
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Got it!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2009, 01:11 PM   #146
Verus Cidere

E-mail sent! So, just because I'm curious, you mentioned both an introductory discount and a possible ninjette.org member discount. Any news on whether or not both are offered and what they are? Thanks!

Old June 1st, 2009, 05:18 PM   #147
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfjr View Post
Okay, I have a few questions about the exhaust kit. First, are you still planning on doing the deal when you buy a dynojet kit with the exhaust? Also, is this something that most anybody should be able to install themselves (I understand that rejetting the carbs is in order, and have never done that)? Last, is the standard (stainless steel) chromed, or more of a flat silver? If I get one it would probably be the standard stainless steel as long as it is not super shiny.

Thanks
Yes, we'll be doing a "Ninjette.org" deal. Just need to have the system a little further along in production to determine the exact price. But if you look back on page three (I believe), there are some details. The system is reasonably easy to install, as is the battery box, uni-filters, breather element and Dynojet kit. If you are not reasonably comfortable with working on things, simply read the instructions, and look through the pictures to see if you want to tackle the project. The Jet kit is a little more advanced on the '88-07 to install. But again, not too difficult. If your not comfortable, take it to your local dealer or performance shop for them to install. Or if you get stuck somewhere, contact us and we'll walk you through it . The stainless steel muffler has a brushed/satin finish.

Last futzed with by kbryant; June 4th, 2009 at 08:12 AM. Reason: spelling

Old June 1st, 2009, 05:20 PM   #148
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
E-mail sent! So, just because I'm curious, you mentioned both an introductory discount and a possible ninjette.org member discount. Any news on whether or not both are offered and what they are? Thanks!
See above post and page 3. We'll try to firm up the "deal" later this month.

Old June 4th, 2009, 12:07 AM   #149
Verus Cidere

Awesome! I'm dumping money in the bank every chance I get for the next 2 months just to be sure I have enough. Just another curiosity question, on your website it says that you use paypal. Do you have a checkout system (like ebay) or is it just a regular money transfer from one paypal account to another? I'm planning on paying through paypal either way, I was just curious as to which way you use, since you don't have any form of checkout posted on your site. Thanks again!

Old June 4th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #150
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Awesome! I'm dumping money in the bank every chance I get for the next 2 months just to be sure I have enough. Just another curiosity question, on your website it says that you use paypal. Do you have a checkout system (like ebay) or is it just a regular money transfer from one paypal account to another? I'm planning on paying through paypal either way, I was just curious as to which way you use, since you don't have any form of checkout posted on your site. Thanks again!
We do not use a "check-out" system. We take a more personalized approach. When the product is available, you simply go into the "Contact Us" page and tell us exactly what you want. For Paypal, we then send you an invoice.

Old June 5th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #151
undergroundzombi
ninjette.org newbie

Name: andy

Motorcycle(s): none yet 250r in 2 weeks

Get my bike in 2 weeks and areap kit asap can't wait. Anybody have any concrete info on the best plugs for the pregens as my bike has 2400 on it and has sat for years.....01 02 03? Don't remember doesn't matter.... but i'd like to start with some fresh plugs.
Posted via Mobile Device
undergroundzombi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #152
undergroundzombi
ninjette.org newbie

Kbryant. I was wondering typically the sound/performance difference when comparing the shorty to the long pipe.... I understand the long pipe is quieter but to what extent and does the decibal decrease come with any significant price in performance ...... thanks in advance
Posted via Mobile Device

Old June 5th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #153
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by undergroundzombi View Post
Get my bike in 2 weeks and areap kit asap can't wait. Anybody have any concrete info on the best plugs for the pregens as my bike has 2400 on it and has sat for years.....01 02 03? Don't remember doesn't matter.... but i'd like to start with some fresh plugs.
Posted via Mobile Device
I just put in the NGK CR8HSA gapped at .6-.7mm. Special order these from Kragen or someplace.

Be sure to use a tiny bit of anti-seize compound on the threads (and only on the threads!), screw them in hand tight and then tighten another 1/4-1/2 turn...I tightened to a 1/4 turn myself to be conservative.

My engine felt noticably bettere after the swap.

From what I understand, the performance between the longer, quieter muffler is almost identical to the shorty. The shorty is louder (me like) and...uh...shorter (me like).

Old June 6th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #154
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Kbryant. I was wondering typically the sound/performance difference when comparing the shorty to the long pipe.... I understand the long pipe is quieter but to what extent and does the decibal decrease come with any significant price in performance ...... thanks in advance
Posted via Mobile Device

As Purspeed correctly pointed out, performance between the standard and long quiet muffler is virtually the same. The only reduction is sound level.

Old June 7th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #155
undergroundzombi
ninjette.org newbie

Sounds good. I'll be sure to get those ngk plugs. Thanks for the info ( purspeed and kbryant ) , I can't wait to ride. I'll probably end up goin shorty flat cap carbon. Bike is black with the semi aqua blue accents. Should look pretty on there and no more restin the helmet on a hot muffler yay!! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Old June 8th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #156
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Sounds good. I'll be sure to get those ngk plugs. Thanks for the info ( purspeed and kbryant ) , I can't wait to ride. I'll probably end up goin shorty flat cap carbon. Bike is black with the semi aqua blue accents. Should look pretty on there and no more restin the helmet on a hot muffler yay!! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
It's worth writing again that Area-P and Kerry Bryant in particular are a true pleasure to deal with. The customer service is second only to the quality of the product.

Old June 10th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #157
Verus Cidere

I'm technically not even a customer yet and he's already putting up with my excess relentless questions. Purspeed is right, they're a great company. I can't wait until I can rep them to everyone around here. Seems as though I'll be the first one in my town to have an exhaust from them. Everyone else has the cookie-cutter exhausts!

Old June 18th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #158
nate-bama
North Alabama Mtn. ryder

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2006

i hate my stock exhaust

Old June 18th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #159
Tommy
ninjette.org member

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 1994 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate-bama View Post
i hate my stock exhaust
Me too...except its stock with the baffles removed. Sounds like a freakin harely when in an enclosed space.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #160
Verus Cidere

I'm not sure which part I'm looking forward to the most, the performance jump, or the fact that my bike won't sound like a lawnmower anymore!