ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old July 1st, 2014, 06:40 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[American Motorcyclist Association] - Racer Interview: Adam McGill

The AMSOIL Grand National Cross Country Series presented by Maxxis is an AMA-sanctioned national championship series this year. It features some of the best, and toughest, ATV racers on the planet, since cross-country racing is one of the most physically demanding sports in the world.

The grueling three-hour GNCC races lead riders through tracks ranging in length from 8 to 12 miles. With varied terrain, including hills, woods, mud, dirt, rocks and motocross sections, GNCC events are tests of both survival and speed. The 13-round championship is produced exclusively by Racer Productions. We caught up with Adam McGill, one of the top contenders, to see how his season is going.

AMA: How is the AMA AMSOIL Grand National Cross Country Series presented by Maxxis season going for you?

Adam McGill: The season is going really well so far. I’ve had two podiums in four rounds…. But with a bad finish in Florida I now have to dig myself out of a hole.

(Editors note: McGill finished 16th at the first round at the Mud Mucker in Bunnell, Fla. and then rebounded to finish second at The General in Washington, Ga.; third at Steele Creek in Morganton, N. C.; and fourth at the Big Buck in Union, S. C. In the fifth round in Springville, Ind., McGill took fourth, and at press time was fourth overall in the XC1 Pro standings.)

AMA: Who is your toughest competition and why?

AM: That’s a tough one because all the competitors have stepped up their game so much. Anyone could win on any weekend.

AMA: What is your favorite GNCC event on the schedule and why?

AM: My favorite track is a tossup between Snowshoe [in West Virginia] and Loretta’s [in Tennessee]. Snowshoe because of the difficulty and the unique atmosphere of the race and, of course, because it’s in West Virginia where I live. Loretta’s because the track flows really well. I also like the MX course part of it.

AMA: What’s the funniest thing that has happened so far this season?

AM: Nothing so far this year, but I have been flashed and mooned. That always makes me laugh. And my fiancée can write some pretty funny motivational pit board messages.

AMA: What is the most heart-breaking thing that has happened to you so far this season?

AM: The 16th-place finish in Florida. After charging toward the front, then to have the bike overheat was a heart breaker.

AMA: How old are you, where do you live and what do you do for a living?

AM: I’m 26 years old, I still live in the same town where I was raised, West Union, W.Va. I do this for a living. It’s who I am and what I do.

AMA: What was your first race?

AM: My first race was a Paul Koontz race in Reno, Ohio. I was 14 years old and I was nervous. I finished third in my class (C Class) and 24th overall, but I was hooked.

AMA: What do you like about the AMA AMSOIL Grand National Cross Country Series presented by Maxxis?

AM: I like how we travel to so many different locations with such different terrain and climate so it keeps us guessing as to what kind of race it will be. I also like that it gives us riders a national rank.

AMA: What is your racing machine and what trick parts do you have?

AM: I ride a 2014 Honda TRX450R. Trick parts? All the sponsors that support the Mafia program are trick. LOL!

AMA: What do you do in your free time unrelated to ATVs?

AM: I like hanging out with my WEXCican friends on off-weekends and I’ve been getting interested in firearms lately.

AMA: What is one thing that people would be surprised to know about you?

AM: That I still live at home with my parents. I’m looking for a place of my own as we speak.

AMA: Who are your sponsors? Who would you like to thank?

AM: Racingpowersports.com, CST Tires, PirateMX out of Parkersburg W. Va., Lonestar, Custom Axis, Baldwin, WCD, RJR, Blingstar, Dirt Works, Twin Air, Wiesco, Works Connection, Get It Performance, Fasst Co, Quad Tech, All Balls, Sunstar, FMF, JTRacing, Leatt, Scott, Go Pro, Throttled Out Performance, Hiper, Streamline, CV4, IMS, Vanilla Gorilla, ODI Grips, Kal-Gard, Maier, Tire Balls, DP Brakes, Outerwears and all the Mafia supporters out there.

AMA: What advice would you give a young person who wants to be an ATV racer like you?

AM: Never give up on your dreams. Anything is possible, no matter what people tell you.

AMA: Is there anything else you would like to add?

AM: I want to thank the fans that come out every single race to cheer us on, and to the mud fleas who get right down and dirty in the mud and pull us out when we need a hand. These are the greatest fans in the world, and I appreciate every one of them.

Click here for full story...