ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 7th, 2010, 03:53 AM   #1
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kit

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 1996 Yahmaha YZ 125... Both in Blue the coolest color

Red face Stupid question after some drinking

so I was helping a friend work on his car tonight and sharing some left over drinks from the 4th and it occurred to me while replacing his alternator... do our bikes have a similar system to charge our batteries? Or do I need to charge my battery from time to time.

Old July 7th, 2010, 04:40 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Yes, the bike has an alternator.

If you live where it's cold enough to park the bike for the winter, then yes, it needs to be charged before spring, preferably using a good maintenance charger like a Battery Tender... just plug it in when you winterize the bike, then unplug in the spring and fire that sucker up.

BTW, and just my opinion, but working on a car (or bike) when under the influence is, um... how should I put this... STUPID. Sorry, but there it is.

How would you react if you took your car in for service and the mechanic told you he'd done the work after drinking? "Oh, that's cool, I'm sure you did it right...."

I don't think so.

Go check your work. You might have forgotten something important.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2010, 06:51 AM   #3
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 1996 Yahmaha YZ 125... Both in Blue the coolest color

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Yes, the bike has an alternator.

If you live where it's cold enough to park the bike for the winter, then yes, it needs to be charged before spring, preferably using a good maintenance charger like a Battery Tender... just plug it in when you winterize the bike, then unplug in the spring and fire that sucker up.
Thanks that's what I was wondering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post

BTW, and just my opinion, but working on a car (or bike) when under the influence is, um... how should I put this... STUPID. Sorry, but there it is.

How would you react if you took your car in for service and the mechanic told you he'd done the work after drinking? "Oh, that's cool, I'm sure you did it right...."

I don't think so.

Go check your work. You might have forgotten something important.
I agree but I'm sure installing a new alternator and belt in a 64 beetle after a 6 pack between 3 guys should be o.k.

Old July 7th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

"But I thought YOU hooked up the fuel line."

"Me? I was getting you another brewski! I thought you did it!"

Old July 7th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #5
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

I mean really after 2 beers? it was the alternator, a strap to hold it down, 2 wires, and a belt, no fuel lines, or anything else. I can see if we were doing the valves or brakes even worse. but really? I suppose you would say that I shouldn't cook while drinking wine because I may poison my family.

Old July 7th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #6
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

wow ez the guy threw back a beer im sure he was so intoxicated he couldn't function. Obviously no you wouldn't expect a mechanic to be drunk while on the job. u r paying him for his services... u dont go to work drunk do u? i know i dont .. but that doesnt stop me from having alcohol on my personal time. lighten up .. grab a beer sounds like u need one

Old July 7th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #7
adouglas
Cat herder

Relax, guys, just making a joke.

The original post didn't say anything about how much had been consumed.

Though I stopped drinking last year (and have lost a bunch of weight and gained a lot of health in the process), I never begrudge anyone the urge to have a cold one.

Old July 7th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #8
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

My ex's uncle blew off his index finger drinking while attempting to tune the trigger on a pistol he owns. I am all for appropriate consumption of alcohol. congrats on your health changes adouglas, I am always inspired by people who make changes to improve their health.