ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 8th, 2011, 07:38 PM   #1
case86
ninjette.org member

Name: casey

Motorcycle(s): 05 kawasaki ninja 250

tms modular helmet

I just bought a ninja 250. I ordered my first helmet. It is a tms brand modular helmet. It is very comfortable and functional for the price. It was 39.99 with 10.00 shipping and handling! But I like it. It is dot certified. If you are looking for a modular helmet I would recommend it to anyone as their first modular helmet.
case86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2011, 02:22 AM   #2
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by case86 View Post
I just bought a ninja 250. I ordered my first helmet. It is a tms brand modular helmet. It is very comfortable and functional for the price. It was 39.99 with 10.00 shipping and handling! But I like it. It is dot certified. If you are looking for a modular helmet I would recommend it to anyone as their first modular helmet.
Great you are gearing up. Hugely important, especially with a helmet. That said, t-motorsports/TMS is a crap company that no one should support. Seriously, when you get the helmet, throw it away and go out and buy one that will work from a company that cares. T-Motorsports/TMS has a terrible reputation for product quality, customer service, and lack of testing.

Reputation and Customer Service: TMS/T-Motorsports has a Better Business Bureau rating of the very rare "F" grade for a huge number of complaints and a number left completely unresolved. Here is their Better Business Bureau page: Look, Mom, We Got an F!. Here is a review from an eBay buyer.

Quality: The company is Chinese (which in itself isn't bad - I've lived there and speak Chinese - but it means little oversight and regulation, so you need to be careful who you work with. TMS is a good example of who NOT to work with.) The helmets (2 now) I've seen were ridiculously poorly made. They reeked, REEKED, of cheap glue. Seriously, the fumes alone could be damaging to you, let alone what may happen in an accident. The TMS logo on the product was a sticker they put over the name of the manufacturer in China. The materials inside seemed cheap and short lasting. Here is a quote from another forum: "Upon removing the cheekpads, which are held in by velcro, and the lining, you notice the biggest caution: the interior is made of styrofoam. im no expert, but helmet styrofoam should be different from fish-packing styrofoam. take any reliable bike helmet and the inner lining foam has VERY little give, whereas the one in this TMS helmet is *clearly* cut straight from packing foam. oh, and the styrofoam isn't even one piece, it's two."

Safety: They are the poster child for what is wrong with the DOT standard for helmets - DOT lets companies self certify, and TMS claims DOT compliance even on it's $25 helmets -- I've seen one, and that is laughable -- there is better protection from a bike helmet, imho. I've personally called T-Motorsports/TMS and written them to ask about their testing, in a very nice way, and received complete radio silence in response. They have refused to discuss their testing procedures or provide documentation showing any testing. I also called the real manufacturer in China. They had no idea what DOT testing was, though to be fair I had some trouble in Chinese describing DOT testing. Still, if they were making helmets for US export, you'd think they'd be all over it, right?

Personally, I wouldn't buy their product because of serious concerns over their commitment to safety, their refusal to certifiy testing, and generally their unresponsiveness to motorcyclists. I also wouldn't want to give them one penny to support their operation. I understand the need to be cost conscious, but this isn't the way to do it. Throw that helmet away and chalk it up to experience. Take a look at The Sub-$200 Helmet Thread for good options. But for a real budget helmet, you'll need to spend about $150 or so.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Last futzed with by gfloyd2002; March 12th, 2011 at 04:52 AM.
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2011, 05:11 AM   #3
seis gunnar
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R SE Lime Green

Not to pile on ...

How do you recommend a product you don't have in your hands? I suppose it could be the customer service, but probably not with these guys.

Gfloyd-just to let you know I googled t-motorsports/TMS, your post was the #6 hit.
seis gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2011, 06:45 AM   #4
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Tough to disagree with the reply comments..

Personally, my head is worth a high price, I find the best fitting helmet.. price is secondary.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis gunnar View Post
How do you recommend a product you don't have in your hands? I suppose it could be the customer service, but probably not with these guys.

Gfloyd-just to let you know I googled t-motorsports/TMS, your post was the #6 hit.
He had it in his hands. That's how he knew it was "comfortable." He called me and told me that I should get one. I had never heard of TMS. I'm on the other side of the country so I can't see what it's like first-hand.

Anyway, "seems like" isn't the most damning way to put things, but I understand the complaints. That said, I've seen people complaining about the Scorpion's glue as well (I haven't had an issue). We can get conjecture from anyone for anything, so I wouldn't put much weight in it.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #6
case86
ninjette.org member

when I wrote this I had already received it and tried it on I read the ebay review and I have not had the bad smell but I did state that its a good first modular helmet mostly incase you have not ever bought one it doesn't seem so bad to me

Old March 13th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #7
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Casey, post up some photos of your helmet.

Congratulations on your new bike. Have you bought other gear yet?

Jeff

Old March 13th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #8
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Hope you enjoy the new bike, Casey. I don't mean to be discouraging, I just want to warn folks who might check this thread for TMS helmet reviews because its a really bad company. Hope the helmet works out for you, and we look forward to seeing you around the site.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #9
case86
ninjette.org member

I understand and I have been riding my bike a little and love the way it rides but the helmet isn't bad for the price and thanks for the info also I will post pictures soon