ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 6th, 2011, 05:54 PM   #81
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250(Cafe/fighter project)

Well this day just got waaaaaaay better, when I came back home I found the UPSD man had left me a surprise: MY 08+ FOOT CONTROLS!!!!. Even though it was already dark and is raining over here I already went ahead and installed them on the bike( straight bolt on BTW). I will be taking pics when the weather gets nicer, for now Im all soaked and pretty happy with my DW results.

Thanks to Kevin 2109 for selling the stuff and being such an awesome seller.
cerberusrex25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #82
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
hey dude i was just admiring your bike and i noticed this... if you're ever broken down on the side of the road and are doing some repair work or whatever (i've been there) one tip i learned to make it easier to reconnect polarity sensitive lights (leds) is to make the positive end different from the negative end... as in the positive is a male connector and the negative a female or vice versa so you can't reconnect it wrong. i learned that one the hard way.
looks nice btw

Old September 6th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #83
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusrex25 View Post
well, the new gen is slightly wider at the back because the tire hub is a few millimeters bigger, I have yet to confirm it but, the new gen also looks slightly shorter overall. I might be wrong so, don't quote me on this.
do you know if the two bolts that hold the chain guard on are the same distance apart? I like the looks of the yamaha bison hugger
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #84
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
hey dude i was just admiring your bike and i noticed this... if you're ever broken down on the side of the road and are doing some repair work or whatever (i've been there) one tip i learned to make it easier to reconnect polarity sensitive lights (leds) is to make the positive end different from the negative end... as in the positive is a male connector and the negative a female or vice versa so you can't reconnect it wrong. i learned that one the hard way.
looks nice btw
Like criss crossing the connectors you mean? I guess it would make sense because it would be easier to deal with in the dark or low light situations. I will take it into account and redo my crimp job. Thanks for the advice.

Old September 6th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #85
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
do you know if the two bolts that hold the chain guard on are the same distance apart? I like the looks of the yamaha bison hugger
I will measure them on both arms and will let you know, yeah seems the bison hugger is quite popular.

PS: stupid me, should've multiquoted.

Old September 6th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #86
AeroXtasy
New 2-Wheel Addict

Name: Reece

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2009 250r Kawasaki Ninja

Coming along nicely so far!

Old September 6th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #87
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Thank you, just wish my engine was here so I could mount it. My mechanic has been out of town for a while.

Old September 7th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #88
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

I'd love to see what you find as a hugger solution!

Old September 7th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #89
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Since it has a complete 08+ rear wheel, I was kinda leaning towards the sportisi one.

Old September 9th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #90
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

I'm tired, I'm angry, my neck hurts from sleeping on a friends couch and I just got back from MD(stupid rain). But as soon as I got in got the pics I promised my fellow ninjetters.

here are the 08 foot controls installed on my pre gen:

hope you like them.

Old September 9th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #91
andylawcc
ninjette.org guru

Name: andy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 faster red

whao! great to know that the rearsets are compatible.

is the position any different (up, back, down, front)?
was it a BEAR to mount the rear brake return spring?
did the rear brake light 'activator' switch attach?
andylawcc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #92
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by andylawcc View Post
whao! great to know that the rearsets are compatible.

is the position any different (up, back, down, front)? I have not noticed any difference.
was it a BEAR to mount the rear brake return spring? Nope, because this set came with it's own spring
did the rear brake light 'activator' switch attach?Dunno since I have not plugged it in yet, but both mounts look exactly the same(pregen and 08+)

Old September 10th, 2011, 01:30 AM   #93
andylawcc
ninjette.org guru

odd, the pre-gen right rearset has 5 mounting bolt - 2 to the frame, 2 for the rear brake master cylinder, and 1 to mount the rear brake light activator.
and for the spring, even though your rearset came with it, was it pretty easy to attach it to the rear brake master cylinder?

Old September 10th, 2011, 01:39 AM   #94
andylawcc
ninjette.org guru

also, i am very curious, either you are real gutsy or tremendously lucky, how do you know those new gen parts will fit? (swing arm, rear controls, and the front wheel which you haven't tried yet)

Old September 10th, 2011, 01:45 AM   #95
andylawcc
ninjette.org guru

also, are you gonna use the new-gen or the pre-gen rear brake caliper?

Old September 10th, 2011, 07:22 AM   #96
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Quote:
odd, the pre-gen right rearset has 5 mounting bolt - 2 to the frame, 2 for the rear brake master cylinder, and 1 to mount the rear brake light activator.
and for the spring, even though your rearset came with it, was it pretty easy to attach it to the rear brake master cylinder?
As far as I know, the extra screw is not needed because the switch mount inside the plate is still the same, for some reason the older one needed a 3rd extra bolt to the frame, it doesn't look like it connects to anything else but the foot control. As for the master cylinder, like I said it was a straight bolt on, all I had to do was regulate the push-rod a bit to connect it to the pedal.
Quote:
also, i am very curious, either you are real gutsy or tremendously lucky, how do you know those new gen parts will fit? (swing arm, rear controls, and the front wheel which you haven't tried yet)
I just bougth and tried them, no luck required just basic research skills. I figured worst case scenario I would have a bunch of parts to sell if they did not fit. I figured out they might fit after reading a lot about both bikes and looking at a lot of pictures of it, and eyeballing a lot of stuff.

Quote:
also, are you gonna use the new-gen or the pre-gen rear brake caliper?
New gen, it seems that is one of the few things that change( caliper bolt mounts are different).

Old September 10th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #97
andylawcc
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I just bougth and tried them, no luck required just basic research skills. I figured worst case scenario I would have a bunch of parts to sell if they did not fit. I figured out they might fit after reading a lot about both bikes and looking at a lot of pictures of it, and eyeballing a lot of stuff.
you are the MAN! that's really adventurous of you; i must thank you for trying and bring us the knowledge. As far as I know, you are the first who did the rear wheel conversion.

Old September 10th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #98
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

As far as I know I'm the first one around here that has stuck an actual 08+ swingarm to a pregen, but I know several people do the 08+ shock as an upgrade, I also know copperaxe has a pregen with new gen wheels( i guess he did that before me). I can't take all the credit, I give credit to the customfighters.com community since they inspired me and thaught me that everything fits everythign with enough "convincing" and elbow grease.

Old September 10th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #99
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
progress looks great

yes the new-gen shock on the pre-gen is fantastic. just throwing it out there. Get the sportisi if you can! that would look beautiful on a pregen. that and the 17" wheels would REALLY update the look of the bike, while still keeping the classic sport look that the pregen has.

are you going to modify the fairing so that the bottom/front edge of the tank isn't exposed? all it would take is hacking up the fairing and attaching pieces to the tank, then a big round headlight. Or are you just going to do the headlight and not worry about you any fairings?

Old September 11th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #100
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Don't have a front fairing so that takes care of itself, as for the lights and gauges I kinda wanted to find me something semi old school/ cafe like so It had that vintage racer kinda look. I will start that once the engine is installed and I know that I have a running bike.

Old September 14th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #101
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

What types of headlights have you looked at? I've been checking in at customfighters, and have been looking to go the route you're going. Are you going to go with the headlight/fairing kits, or just slap some universal lights on, sans fairing? I've looked at the combos, but ~$200 is a little out of reach for those. Right now, I'm running with stock headlight and gauges on the stock mounting bracket. If I find something I like for cheap, I'll pull the bracket off and plop it on there. Nice work, btw. Coming along nicely!
Posted via Mobile Device
JLinde1339 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #102
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLinde1339 View Post
What types of headlights have you looked at? I've been checking in at customfighters, and have been looking to go the route you're going. Are you going to go with the headlight/fairing kits, or just slap some universal lights on, sans fairing? I've looked at the combos, but ~$200 is a little out of reach for those. Right now, I'm running with stock headlight and gauges on the stock mounting bracket. If I find something I like for cheap, I'll pull the bracket off and plop it on there. Nice work, btw. Coming along nicely!
Posted via Mobile Device

If you're good with fiberglass there was guy over on custom fighters that when and bought an old MC helmet and fiberglassed his headlight and stock gauges into it. lemme see if I can find the link. Its my favorite fighter

here ya go:

http://www.customfighters.com/forums...t=38318&page=3
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #103
Pete22x
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): '09 SE GREEN 250

Looking good so far, good luck with that project.

Old September 14th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #104
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLinde1339 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Im still undecided, I want something a bit different than just a round light but also that compliments the look of the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosgarage57 View Post
If you're good with fiberglass there was guy over on custom fighters that when and bought an old MC helmet and fiberglassed his headlight and stock gauges into it. lemme see if I can find the link. Its my favorite fighter

here ya go:

http://www.customfighters.com/forums...t=38318&page=3

Yeah, I'm subscribed to this thread. His headlight conversion is way too farfetched for the looks of my project but is pretty damn awesome nonetheless. I actually liked his tail conversion a lot, I wonder if it would look awesome with the 08 up hardware.

Old September 14th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #105
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

That helmet light is sick! Not something i would do either, but def sick! But the same as you said, I'm not keen on the round headlight myself, so have been looking around for something a little more "different". I kinda like the two smaller headlights, side-by-side. Depends on my mood.
JLinde1339 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #106
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

So, I got my complete new gen shock from eBay, it looks brand spanking new!!!! Not bad for 50 bucks.

So I noticed is on the lowest setting, should I adjust it up a bit to get a taller/stiffer ride?, here is a pic:

So after a little wrenching, cussin' and overall good times here it is all installed; I'm surprised it was a straight up bolt on.

So there you have it folks, an 08+ complete rear wheel section installed on a pregen. On a related note, got a call form my mechanic telling me he was sorry for the delay and that he has been out of town, and... my engine is gonna be ready next week!!!!!. So, soon the little beast will have a functioning engine, I'm so happy

Last futzed with by cerberusrex25; September 16th, 2011 at 03:24 PM.

Old September 16th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #107
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
that. looks. great. I'm telling you, buy a hugger

try it out on the 1st setting where it is. See how you like it then go up from there. I'm 140 with gear and like mine set one up from the softest; solid through turns, but doesn't ride like a dump truck through turns.

I'll be very interested once you get an entire J front end as well. Is that also a straight swap? How's the center stand work with the J swingarm?

Old September 24th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #108
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Well got a call from the mechanic today and it seems we had found a hiccup, so after spending the whole afternoon shopping for parts and 560 bucks later( labor included) my engine will finally be ready in a couple of weeks. This engine will run like a champ, new pistons, new rings, new cam shafts(one of the ones I originally had was slightly bent), complete carb rebuild,bored cylinders, all new gaskets and hoses. I am really looking forward to having my engine finally on my ninjette, then it will be ready to ride next season.

Old September 24th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #109
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

I think your mechanic is taking you for a ride.

Old September 25th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #110
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

my mechanic charged me only 350 for labor, the rest is all me and OEM parts. In fact I saved like 60 bucks by buying the parts myself, he orders from a place where crap is way overpriced. the extra cost was the pair of cam shafts I had to buy because the ones I had were a considerably( and very noticeably) warped, without that unexpected extra spendage the total cost was like 438 with parts. Trust me I have done my homework when it comes to mechanics, specially here in NoVA, they overprice the crap out of labor, Jason has been the cheapest one and does excellent work.

Old September 27th, 2011, 12:59 AM   #111
Palero
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk GT 1989 EX250F (Died from left-turning car) 2011 EX250J (Died from SAME left-turning car)

Dave, nice discovery with that 08+ rear setup on the 88-07!

Question:
Have you been able to fit any sprokets and chain yet? I'm curious if the link requirement will stay the same or get smaller or bigger!
Palero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #112
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Not yet, I will find out soon.

Old October 23rd, 2011, 07:06 PM   #113
TheTopher
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250F

Great looking project! I'm gonna follow this one for sure.
TheTopher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2011, 07:51 AM   #114
exploring/carolina
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Great looking project.

Will keep an eye on your project for ideas on a Ninja 250 Street Fighter project after my CX500 Street Tracker Project.

Nice Work!
exploring/carolina is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #115
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Hopefully after my engine drama is over I can finally move forward with it., who knew a set of piston rings was like the holy grail. It's been like a month of trying to get them form different places after Babbit's online messed up my order and lead me on instead of giving me a refund and fixing it. I found a local dealership that has guaranteed the part to come in by this friday, this beast will have a heart soon. For now I'm researching plastidip, this way I can go ahead and paint my frame an even Satin Black and make it look nice.

Old October 26th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #116
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Cerberusrex25,

is this what you're going for as the end result? I know you're just getting it together now, but I'm curious as to the finished product.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/51594...3_kpzbBZG-A-LB

Old October 26th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #117
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil7153 View Post
plasti dip is the ****. ive used it for years on like everything.

What are you looking into it for?
Im planning into plastidipping the frame and every single visible piece of hardware that is bolted into it(foot controls, triple tree,center stand, engine mounts,side stand,etc.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Cerberusrex25,

is this what you're going for as the end result? I know you're just getting it together now, but I'm curious as to the finished product.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/51594...3_kpzbBZG-A-LB

Kinda, I really like the small round light in the front. is not gonna be as sporty as this one, but you got the right idea. Im using the stocker tail with a few modifications and I'm also planning on fabricating a fiberglass cowl. Been working on my friend's space marine armor and I think I am comfortable enough with the materials to try it.

Old October 26th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #118
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
That will look legit. If you get good results with the cowl, try making a whole new tail. The oem tail is a bit boxy and might kill the look.

Old October 26th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #119
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
well, the new gen is slightly wider at the back because the tire hub is a few millimeters bigger, I have yet to confirm it but, the new gen also looks slightly shorter overall. I might be wrong so, don't quote me on this.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #120
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

BWAHAHAHA, I see what you did there!!!.