ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 23rd, 2015, 06:19 PM   #1
reaperw
ninjette.org member

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Chain wobble left to right

Hey everyone i just adjusted the chain and for some weird reason i decided to start it up on the stand and to make sure its right the slack is at .8.I have done this many of times before,i just notics that there is a slight wobble from left to right with every rotaion could it be missed aligned i turn both nuts only half a turn
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 20150823_202246.mp4 (46.73 MB, 10 views)
reaperw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2015, 06:31 PM   #2
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
measure the distance of the center of the rear wheel axle/bolt to some set point on the bike for each side to ensure it is straight. Don't go by the lines on the tensioners for anything but a rough set.

That being said, the chain will have a little bit of sideways movement on the sprockets, not much but some. As long as the front or rear sprocket are not moving with it you should be ok in that respect. But definitely check on rear axle alignment/squareness

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2015, 02:33 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
There is a natural lateral play between the chain and the sprockets.
That play is the difference between the internal width of the chain (between two internal plaques) and the thickness of the sprockets.

You should verify/adjust the alignment of the rear wheel, but not because that movement that you have just noticed.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2015, 07:41 PM   #4
reaperw
ninjette.org member

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Thanks guys i loosing everything right off and re adjusted again and there is no wobble now,it was not bad i mean no vibration or feeling bad on corner just looked wierd to me.If the rear wheel was out of align would you not notice it riding at 100km or even in corners
reaperw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2015, 08:37 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
When the rear is off, the steering tends to pull towards the side the rear is pointing to, especially when you take your hands off the handle bar.
The stronger the missalignment, the stronger the pull.
The rear sprocket copies any missalignment of the wheel as both are mounted on the same axis.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote