ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old October 19th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #1
Bleak21
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninjette

Catskills Ride 10/24 (NYC, NJ, NY?) Anyone?

Hey guys,

Last weekend I found a whole new set of fun, practically abandoned roads lined by waterfall-strewn creeks around Livingston Manor, NY. It's a bit of a distance for New Jerseyans, but a nice escape nonetheless. I was thinking about doing either the same roads again (this time more prepared instead of winging it like before) or surrounding areas. Would anyone be up this Sunday for this? It took me about 5 hours round trip with minimal stops, so with more gas and such it would probably take about 6. Anyone up for a taste of all-around ADV? There's even some dirt roads the ninja handled well.
Bleak21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2010, 06:57 PM   #2
edbro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

I was up there last Sunday actually. Like you said, there are some great roads up that way that are pretty much deserted. Took me like an hour and half to get up to Livingston Manor, it wasn't too far, about as far as Hawk's Nest.

I'd like to go but I'll be in PA the 24th.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #3
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Bleak.....lemme know the names or #'s on those roads or intersections
I have some nice rides west of Kingston off 28 I've done and Fahenstock park has a dirt road that's incredible and I Google earthed some interesting looking roads off 9W just south of new windsor ny. I come up from Long island and have pretty much run out of really good roads but if you like to go off the asphalt I'm not afraid to travel and maybe i'd hook up with you. But...around Livingston ????I dunno...what did you find
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #4
Bleak21
ninjette.org member

Hey all,

I didn't get a chance to ride today. Thankfully I had fun yesterday testing out Dutchess Cty. I'm definitely heading back to that Willowemoc area to do this route (http://tinyurl.com/2d6ajcr through the valley. There's also 29 miles of snowmobile trails separate from roads or at the end of roads (I need to call and clarify this, not much luck on google). I read somewhere and heard they're open to atv's and 2-wheelers in the summer, but I'll have to get a KLR for that ().

Here was my route around the area last weekend http://tinyurl.com/277cg76. I began by riding up 17 to the exit closest to the beginning of the route. The night before I scoured the map of our area for what looked like the most cager-free and fun road around. At point B there was a scenic covered bridge down a gravel road the ninjette handled ok. I went over the bridge and away a bit but the road began to be too rocky for the bottom so I turned around. As the road went from point B to C, it got progressively more gravel-y. At one point there was a sign and patch of oil on the road out of nowhere I lost a little grip on. A guy passed me easily on his gs adventure, but I was a little cautious on some parts of the road with the street tires.

Since I don't have GPS and was only sure of the general direction, I stopped at point E and asked a nice woman for directions. She ended up giving me a welcome overview of all the fun roads and the route home from E to H. It's a little bit of a trip to get up there, but if a group leaves earlier than I did <10am they could do way more.

Old October 24th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #5
eddiekay

I've covered the main roads on your route...in fact...[I] think my friend has a cabin at your point F overlooking Roundout res but it looks like you have a lot of stuff i never knew about...man, you worked hard to find those roads....frost valley...I saw a bear on the road there last year. Hey, if you want to do that route again (I might have a b'day party next sat) I'd meet you @ 17 in wurtsboro. I come up from LI so following 17 is easy...I gotta check saturday but if you wanted to go and i can get out of this party I'd def go.
Sno mo trails...never been on one without snow...don't know if we have clearance for that but, WTF...we can always turn around ?

Old October 25th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #6
Bleak21
ninjette.org member

Yeah man I'm definitely up for it this saturday if it's not raining, just shoot me an address and time I'll be there. Or we could meet earlier on 17; maybe at the start of NY (Sloatsburg?) or NJ. I live right off of it in bergen cty NJ. If anyone else wants to come you're more than welcome

Old October 25th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #7
eddiekay

I can't get out of this party saturday pm
Ok...so pray that the weather holds and maybe we can do it Nov6.
I mean I have the cold suit but I haven't got gloves that are any good below maybe 50 degrees on highway so it's a real prob when the temps drop and I ride fast
Yeah....def meet you @ Sloatsburg stop but not this saturday unless the party get called off

Old October 25th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #8
Bleak21
ninjette.org member

Nov 6 works for me but woooooo we're going to be freezing our bawls off (all in good fun though ). Sundays a no-go? Either days work for me. I'm a student who works temp with side projects M-F.

Old October 26th, 2010, 07:08 AM   #9
eddiekay

Look...my prob is the gloves and I not sure i can get some electrics quick enough...gonna see if i can borrow some..Maybe this......I'm prob about 75 minutes from sloatsburg.....how about you ?
I'm thinking that I could leave LI about 8-ish and if my fingers turn blue I could call you and cancel out. Prob is getting there...once riding slow the gloves are no prob but i gotta ride, what, maybe 75 miles to sloatsburg at highway speed and that's where I'll freeze. I'll know by the time I hit westchester county....so...maybe...could i call you by 9 if i want to punk out?
The ride looks really good and i'm def up for the dirt roads part but the fingertips, the fingertips...always a prob in the cold.
BTW...my best riding buddy...BMW 1100...touring bike...weight 1000000 lbs,, very competent rider..is he gonna break the bike if he comes...you mentioned a rocky path...I dont want to lead him into anythiong thats gonna cost him money

Old November 2nd, 2010, 08:15 PM   #10
eddiekay

Bleak...OK...got up around Bear Mtn sunday...it was cold but i should have elect gloves by this weekend so...do you still want to do catskills. Let me know and we'll plan meet up
eddie

Old November 3rd, 2010, 09:30 PM   #11
Bleak21
ninjette.org member

Wow you got up there!? I was up there too for a bit.

I think I'm going to winterize my bike =( sorry but i was borderline hypothermic last weekend (i didnt stop much though lol).

Old November 4th, 2010, 07:01 AM   #12
eddiekay

bEST INVESTMENT YOU CAN MAKE IS A USED 2 PIECE SNO MO SUIT. I;VE SEEN THEM ON EBAY FOR $50.
I WEAR TEE, TURTLENECK , SWEATSHIRT,HIGH COLLAR SWEATER ON BACKWARDS, THE SNO MO PANTS THAT COVER MY CHEST AND THE SNO MO JACKET THAT HAS ONE OF THE COLLARS THAT STRAP ACRIOSS THE NECK . lONG JOHNS, JEANS AND THE SMOMO PANTS AND BY BODY HAS NEVER BEEN COLD.
AND, IN EVENT THAT YOU EVER DO GET COLD, STOP AND GET A NEWSPAPER AND SPREAD IT ACROSS THE INSIDE OF THE JACKET....TOTALLY BLOCKS ANY WIND, TOTALLY.
ok...SO WE'RE PLANNING ON LEAVING LONG ISLAND AT 7:30, THAT SHOULD PUT US IN SLOATSBURG AT MAYBE 9:00 THE LATEST...IS THAT GOOD FOR YOU? TEMP ON LI IS SUPPOSED TO BE 48 SO THE CATSKILLS WILL BE HIGH 30'S AND BESIDES...IT'S NOT LIKE WE CANT TURN BACK IF ONE OF US TURNS BLUE....we want to get there early because after m,aybe 3:00,,,it realy gets cold. So, if you feel like you'd rahter not go I definiterly understand because if i didn't have the clothes...I wouldn't go. Let me know...we'll send you pictures and maybe you could clarify the dirst road and bridge. If you dont go, I'll go back over your route and ask any questions then
eddie