ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 11th, 2011, 02:06 AM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Raising the seat/tail on a pregen (dogbones?)

I'm strongly considering getting a an F-series (pregen model) bike and installing a J-series shock, swingarm, wheel, brake, etc. I'd like to throw on a hugger, but it looks like it may need a bit of extra clearance even with the higher ride height from the J-series shock (the extra inch on the wheel rim must use all that!). I looked on Ninja250.org's FAQ and only saw info about lowering it or installing a J-shock, so I was wondering if there were any dogbones known to be compatible that might raise the seat/tail? Considering that the entire swingarm is compatible with the J-series, I imagine that any seat-raising dogbone from the current gen would work too.

Last futzed with by CZroe; October 11th, 2011 at 01:55 PM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #2
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250(Cafe/fighter project)

I would like to get a hold of this info too, after installing the j series shock, swinger and wheel it still seems a bit low.
cerberusrex25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #3
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Have you been able to confirm that proper alignment of the Final Drive (the chain) can be achieved between the front sprocket of the pre-gen engine and the rear sprocket of the new-gen swingarm/wheel combination when installed on a pre-gen frame?

Quote:
after installing the j series shock, swinger and wheel it still seems a bit low.
This post makes it sound like you've already done this modification. So you have a new-gen swingarm and wheel installed on a pre-gen bike?

I didn't know people were doing this swap.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusrex25 View Post
I would like to get a hold of this info too, after installing the j series shock, swinger and wheel it still seems a bit low.
Ever find out if the forks were compatible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
Have you been able to confirm that proper alignment of the Final Drive (the chain) can be achieved between the front sprocket of the pre-gen engine and the rear sprocket of the new-gen swingarm/wheel combination when installed on a pre-gen frame?

This post makes it sound like you've already done this modification. So you have a new-gen swingarm and wheel installed on a pre-gen bike?

I didn't know people were doing this swap.
Yes, he did. He's the reason I want a pregen.

As far as alignment, I wonder if it needs the original front sprocket or the 2mm difference with the current one. Most places updated their fitment charts as if the original fits all so it's considered "close enough" but I'd want to be sure if I were using the swapped swingarm.

Old October 11th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
just make your own dogbones. two double-sided threaded studs and four rod-end bearings. viola, adjustable dog bones. this is what i did for my dogbones when i installed an r6 shock. very easy. worked like a charm. great results.

make sure you use grade 8 hardware.

side note: if the two threads are same direction you don't need to worry about lock nuts as the swing arm and frame will prevent the ends from rotating... but still not a bad idea just incase something weird happens.

Old October 11th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
just make your own dogbones. two double-sided threaded studs and four rod-end bearings. viola, adjustable dog bones. this is what i did for my dogbones when i installed an r6 shock. very easy. worked like a charm. great results.

make sure you use grade 8 hardware.

side note: if the two threads are same direction you don't need to worry about lock nuts as the swing arm and frame will prevent the ends from rotating... but still not a bad idea just incase something weird happens.
I dfon't have the abilities but if anyone else does I humbly ask that they make a few extra.

Old October 11th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #7
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you do have the abilities... it's quite literally 3 pieces that you screw together... maybe put on some locktite... i'll post links to the parts when i get home tonight if you want. it takes all of 10 seconds to assemble... then installing them is the same process as installing any other dogbone... lift the bike so the swingarm is suspended then take the old ones off and put the new ones on.

Old October 11th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
you do have the abilities... it's quite literally 3 pieces that you screw together... maybe put on some locktite... i'll post links to the parts when i get home tonight if you want. it takes all of 10 seconds to assemble... then installing them is the same process as installing any other dogbone... lift the bike so the swingarm is suspended then take the old ones off and put the new ones on.
I don't have a drill, bits, clamps, measuring devices, etc. Partly why I wanted to do this is the "plug and play" aspect (direct swap), though disconnecting brake lines was already scaring me.

Old October 11th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I don't have a drill, bits, clamps, measuring devices, etc. Partly why I wanted to do this is the "plug and play" aspect (direct swap), though disconnecting brake lines was already scaring me.
you don't need a drill, bits, clamps, measuring devices, etc. you will need a way to lift your bike from the center. and some sockets or wrenches.

Old October 11th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #10
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Quote:
Ever find out if the forks were compatible?

Not yet, still dealing with engine drama. Babbits online screwed me over a set of piston rings, I been constantly calling and getting the "it shipped yesterday" deal until today. I will try to find out soon, I still need to buy the front wheel and both calipers. I also need to find out about the final drive, as far the ratio it seems to be the same, but gotta be absolutely sure about the alignment.

Old October 11th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #11
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ustom+dogbones

looks like 2WheelGuy's back end is higher up on this bike. says it has shorter dogbones. That would force the back end up right? might be worth PM'ing him
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #12
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

I will ask him, also DAT CHOPPED FRONT FENDER!!!!

Old October 11th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #13
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
chopped fender looks lovely yes??

Old June 20th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #14
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
I'm looking at McMaster Carr right now andI haven't the slightest idea what sizes of what to order, but I think I'm barking up the right tree. They have an awful lot of other stuff I need.

Old June 21st, 2012, 09:29 AM   #15
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
http://www.mcmaster.com/#rod-end-bearings/=i2pxue

you want 12mm inside eye diameter if its going on stock newgen suspension. probably want female shank. also threaded rod the same size as the shank and two lock nuts.

that site seems expensive

Old June 21st, 2012, 02:30 PM   #16
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#rod-end-bearings/=i2pxue

you want 12mm inside eye diameter if its going on stock newgen suspension. probably want female shank. also threaded rod the same size as the shank and two lock nuts.

that site seems expensive
Yeah, but they have a bunch of other stuff I need.

Thanks!

Old June 21st, 2012, 10:02 PM   #17
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samual

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (RIP)

Quote:
I'm strongly considering getting a an F-series (pregen model) bike and installing a J-series shock, swingarm, wheel, brake, etc. I'd like to throw on a hugger, but it looks like it may need a bit of extra clearance even with the higher ride height from the J-series shock (the extra inch on the wheel rim must use all that!). I looked on Ninja250.org's FAQ and only saw info about lowering it or installing a J-shock, so I was wondering if there were any dogbones known to be compatible that might raise the seat/tail? Considering that the entire swingarm is compatible with the J-series, I imagine that any seat-raising dogbone from the current gen would work too.
Just throwing this out there, but the soupys lowering links can be used (pregen only) to raise the ride height by up to 1&1/2 inches. http://www.soupysperformance.com/cat...00/5405407.htm I actually just installed these on a friends pregen, and with 2 people you can do it in about 10 minutes flat. I was going to write up a DIY (I really wish I did) but I forgot to bring my camera.
lc86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2012, 01:52 PM   #18
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc86 View Post
Just throwing this out there, but the soupys lowering links can be used (pregen only) to raise the ride height by up to 1&1/2 inches. http://www.soupysperformance.com/cat...00/5405407.htm I actually just installed these on a friends pregen, and with 2 people you can do it in about 10 minutes flat. I was going to write up a DIY (I really wish I did) but I forgot to bring my camera.
Well, I already did it and bought the pregen with newgen suspension, so no Soupy's for me. Thanks though. Raising the pregen suspension to fit a hugger made for the newgen suspension just didn't seem right.

Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:49 AM   #19
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

Soupy's seemed expensive for what it is. I've seen the same parts at lowes for a fraction. Not sure if its grade 8 or not, but now that I have my gsxr shock in hand, its worth a recheck
JLinde1339 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2012, 10:56 AM   #20
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samual

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLinde1339 View Post
Soupy's seemed expensive for what it is. I've seen the same parts at lowes for a fraction. Not sure if its grade 8 or not, but now that I have my gsxr shock in hand, its worth a recheck
I never said there weren't other options out there for cheaper, I just didn't see any that I liked. I mostly like the soupys because they are adjustable, so you can change the height on the fly, making it a lot easier if you want the height changed.
lc86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2012, 11:18 AM   #21
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc86 View Post
I never said there weren't other options out there for cheaper, I just didn't see any that I liked. I mostly like the soupys because they are adjustable, so you can change the height on the fly, making it a lot easier if you want the height changed.
Oh no, I'm not disagreeing with you, I want them for the same reasons as you. Doesn't require a back end tear down to change the length, but when I looked up that maker and saw the pics, I swore that I had seen that exact hardware at the store. So I checked when I was there, and found all the parts. I wasnt at the point I'm at now, as far as making those modifications, so I didn't really didn't get into checking the specs and whatnot. Just knew that when the time came, I'd know what to look for and where to find it. Functionally, soupy's is precisely what I want. Fiscally, they are not.
JLinde1339 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2012, 12:31 PM   #22
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Well, I actually paid even more to have a shorter set made by soupys that are specifically for lowering, not dual purpose like their normal ones. but they are awesome!! Maybe a bit pricey, but great quality and great customer service. I LOVE what they've done for my bikes handling. I don't regret spending the money.

My tail is raised about 2 inches, maybe more, and my nose is dropped 1/4" in my wc lowered risers. No stability issues at the track, very responsive handling
Posted via Mobile Device