ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 1st, 2012, 07:47 AM   #1
michael38
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

what would be considered high mileage?

is 19000 miles on a bike considered high mileage (on a 2010 model)? what are some of the things that begins to show problems when a bike has gone through this much?
michael38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2012, 08:16 AM   #2
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael38 View Post
is 19000 miles on a bike considered high mileage (on a 2010 model)? what are some of the things that begins to show problems when a bike has gone through this much?
As long as the bike has undergone periodic maintenance (oil changes, valve adjustments, coolant, brakes, etc.), the bike should be fine.

I would check for four things: the sprockets, the chain, the clutch cable, and the brake lines. All of those would probably show signs of needing replacement around the 15000-20000 mile mark.

Last futzed with by Soujyu; July 1st, 2012 at 09:33 AM.
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Welcome to the site, Michael !!

Your bike has 80% of useful life ahead, if you take good care of it.

Follow the service schedule and assume that no service work has been done, unless you know it for a fact.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2012, 11:06 AM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
20k on a 2010 isn't bad. shows the bike didn't sit for long which is good.

if it hasn't been crashed or anything its safe to assume a full service is needed for anything over 20k miles: brake fluid, brake pads, oil, coolant, fork oil, spark plugs, air filter, valve adjustment full cable and chain lube and possibly a replacement clutch. tires might need to be replaced also.

mileage isn't the biggest killer of bikes, age and people are. people crash them. small rubber bits start drying up and cracking, hoses shrink and dry out and crack, contact points start rusting, gas tanks start rusting on the inside. a 2010 though shouldn't have any of these issues.

Old July 1st, 2012, 12:02 PM   #5
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

This is actually good to know. I have my 2011 with 12,000 miles and I was afraid 12K would be too much. Now that i see this and the fact I take really good care of my bike, I feel a lot better....especially about resale value.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2012, 12:51 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
ive seen plenty of pregens with over 100k. a few newgens with over 50k

Old July 1st, 2012, 08:18 PM   #7
michael38
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

thanks everyone for the great info! and thanks for the nice welcome to the forum!! the 250 is what i'm planning on getting as my first bike and i'm glad that i got the help from all of you. Let's keep the info coming, i'm sure a lot of new riders like me would also be interested in this topic. Thanks!
michael38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2012, 06:02 AM   #8
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
Mileage isn't the biggest killer of bikes, age and people are. People crash them. small rubber bits start drying up and cracking, hoses shrink and dry out and crack, contact points start rusting, gas tanks start rusting on the inside.
Very true. Rubber parts are the biggest issue after a few years, especially if you have no garage to keep the bike somewhat protected from elements. (I think that sun is bigger problem in this case)
The sad part is that some of that stuff is really custom made for this bike and you have no option but buying it from a dealer, and you end up paying $15 for a piece of rubber that probably costs about 2 cents to manufacture and import.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2012, 06:14 AM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domagoj View Post
Very true. Rubber parts are the biggest issue after a few years, especially if you have no garage to keep the bike somewhat protected from elements. (I think that sun is bigger problem in this case)
The sad part is that some of that stuff is really custom made for this bike and you have no option but buying it from a dealer, and you end up paying $15 for a piece of rubber that probably costs about 2 cents to manufacture and import.
Actually, the sun plays less of a role than you'd think. The only rubber wellnuts that weren't rotten within a year were the two exposed to the sun on the windscreen and... surprise surprise, they have a different part number in the catalog despite being the same size. Kawasaki uses bad rubber and they know it. The others are out of sight, out of mind, and they think you won't notice. Out of 14 wellnuts, the only ones that weren't rotten when I took inventory were the two mentioned and the two on my right-side fairing, which a dealer obviously replaced when doing a service (couldn't put it back together with ripped wellnuts).

But that's not all: My shift pedal's rubber rotted off. The seal over my trip meter's reset button rotted off. I've had three clutch cable rubber boots rot off. SHAME.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:34 AM   #10
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i think the rubber degrading has to do with how much humidity is in the air

Old July 3rd, 2012, 05:02 PM   #11
rdrgoB
ninjette.org member

Name: Unspecified

Motorcycle(s): None

My 1999 has 18k, so I would say that's high mileage for the age of the bike. That being said however, better to have all those miles on a new bike that you know has been ridden its whole life.
rdrgoB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2012, 06:04 PM   #12
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domagoj View Post
Very true. Rubber parts are the biggest issue after a few years, especially if you have no garage to keep the bike somewhat protected from elements........
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Actually, the sun plays less of a role than you'd think........
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i think the rubber degrading has to do with how much humidity is in the air
The rubber in our tires is a polymer.

See this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer_degradation
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #13
alex.s
wat