ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 7th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #1
kawigirl
ninjette.org member

Name: Chelsea

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Help Please!! - failed diodes / starter switch

My 2009 ninja keeps having diodes go bad in the starter switch! What could possibly be causing that? Is anyone else having this problem? The guys at the shop say they have never even had one of these go bad before and are going to have to do all kinds of diagnostics and in the mean time it is costing me money and making me miss the last bit of beautiful weather for the year and really just pissing me off. I have had the bike for a year and a half and haven't had this problem until recently.
kawigirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #2
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

A little more info would help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawigirl View Post
My 2009 ninja keeps having diodes go bad in the starter switch!
How many times has it happened? Have you gotten it fixed before? If so, what did you do for the fix? I'm guessing we're talking about the push start button and not the on/off switch right?

Old October 7th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #3
kawigirl
ninjette.org member

This is the second time in a week and a half this has happened. The only thing i had done prior to this was had new tires put on. and i didn't fix it myself the first time i had the shop do it. and yeah it is the little diode in side the start but not the kill switch. and they said they just replaced the diode but now that it has happened again they are going to have to look for a cause which as of now they have no clue what it is

Old October 7th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #4
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Did they make sure it wasn't one of the other sensors causing the bike not to start? There's a Clutch safety switch, kickstand sensor, and neutral sensor.

Old January 9th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #5
kawigirl
ninjette.org member

Electrical Problem! Help Please!

This is killing me!! My bike has been in and out of the shop for over 3 months now. Something keeps blowing the diode in my starter and makes my starter button not work. It will push start just fine. The shop i have been going to are kawi ceritfied and they have even called kawasaki to try to get more answers but nothing seems to work. We have replaced the stator relay and solenoid and finally just rerouted the wiring around the diode to start it. That worked for a few days and then it was right back to square one. Its a 2009 and has always been taken care. It is most definitely not the battery. Has anyone else experienced anything like this??

Old January 9th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

What a pain that the same issue keeps popping up again with your bike. Would it be OK to merge this thread with the prior one so the history is maintained?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #7
kawigirl
ninjette.org member

yeah no problem

Old January 9th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #8
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

What's the point of a diode there? Doesn't seem logical. And for what it's worth, I replaced the whole starter solenoid and everything on my 500R with some heavy duty wire and a household lightswitch. I wouldn't recomment it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2012, 03:16 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
theres really only 2 things that kill diodes and the second one is usually caused by the first... too much current, and too high of heat.

the starting system is very simple. battery through the relay into the starter motor. the diode is there to make sure you dont connect something backwards and try to start your engine by cranking it the wrong way (good way to screw up an engine)

check the voltage coming out of your battery. check the charging output of your regulator/rectifier. if they are both good check the draw from the starter motor itself. it could be a short in the windings. or even a short in the wiring going to the motor.

also note, you mean "starter relay". there is no "stator relay" the stator is like an alternator in a car and is responsible for creating power for the charging circuit.

Old January 9th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #10
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawigirl View Post
This is killing me!! My bike has been in and out of the shop for over 3 months now. Something keeps blowing the diode in my starter and makes my starter button not work. It will push start just fine. The shop i have been going to are kawi ceritfied and they have even called kawasaki to try to get more answers but nothing seems to work. We have replaced the stator relay and solenoid and finally just rerouted the wiring around the diode to start it. That worked for a few days and then it was right back to square one. Its a 2009 and has always been taken care. It is most definitely not the battery. Has anyone else experienced anything like this??
If the diode was by-passed, then what blew??
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #11
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

Sounds like you have a short in the starter relay circuit. Or a bad starter relay that is always drawing current.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
If the diode was by-passed, then what blew??
probably blew the short wide open. my guess is on the inside of the starter motor.

Jason, OP says they already replaced solenoid and relay.

Old January 9th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #13
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Seems like it would blow a fuse first if it was too much current. Most times a diode takes a dump, its a dead short < No longer a diode. Have seen a few explode before thou.....

If the relays have been replaced, I would start looking at the wiring harness. Shorting that puppy to ground would do it in for sure. But, that would only happen during starting.. So, think you would notice something there when it happens.

Another idea would be put an ameter on it, just see what kinda current that circuit is pulling.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #14
kawigirl
ninjette.org member

Thanks for all of the input guys. If it gets figured out i will post and let everyone know what it finally was. Has anyone ever heard of this kind of thing happening before?

Old January 10th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #15
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
probably blew the short wide open. my guess is on the inside of the starter motor.

The solenoid is a relay. (when talking about bikes, at least).
Posted via Mobile Device

Old January 10th, 2012, 01:12 AM   #16
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
that had me confused. not what i would normally call a solenoid

Old January 10th, 2012, 01:25 AM   #17
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Technically, the solenoid would be the electromagnetic part of a relay, but the whole assembly is called a solenoid on relays over about 50amps. I'm not sure why--might have something to do with a different design for higher currents.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old January 10th, 2012, 01:32 AM   #18
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Seems like it would blow a fuse first if it was too much current. Most times a diode takes a dump, its a dead short < No longer a diode. Have seen a few explode before thou.....
with high inrush currents like when rectifying wall current, diodes always seem to blow before fuses for me. I'm okay with that because 1N4001S are like 8 cents each and fuses are about 50...
Posted via Mobile Device

Old January 10th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #19
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
I discounted the starter because the thumb switch on the handlebar is not really connected to the starter. It is connected to a relay that provides power to a solenoid that provides power to the starter.

It could be the starter solenoid.

Here is a wiring schematic for the ignition system. I assume the diode that is failing is the one right below the start button?

Looking at the schematic, it is possible that something in the headlight could cause a problem as well.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Start_&_Ignition_Troubleshoot_Schematic.pdf (98.6 KB, 19 views)
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #20
k4m1k4z3k
ninjette.org member

Name: Kel

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

I had the very same problem last year with my '08. From Dec to august I had blown through four sets of diodes.. sometimes they'd last a month other times they only lasted about a week. They also blew differently every time where it was always the same two pins that correspond to the starter circuit, but sometimes it was an open short, closed short, or only allowed a partial current.

Things I've tried:
replacing the battery (was told by the dealer that mine was bad...liars)
disassembling and reconnecting all components along the entire wiring harness
testing safety switches and starter circuit components per the service manual (except the neutral switch because i was afraid to open the crankcase)
checking voltages across each component of the wiring harness
slicing open the entire wiring harness and checking solder points and wire shorts

Ultimately, I gave in and and bought a salvaged wiring harness. Intended to swap out the entire thing but got lazy and ended up just swapping out the starter solenoid, both diodes, and both relays. Its now been 4 months and 3000 miles with no problems *knock on wood*.
k4m1k4z3k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #21
k4m1k4z3k
ninjette.org member

Name: Kel

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

And spoke too soon. just got to school, threw the sidestand down and now the bike won't start. I just might be stranded at here...fml.

But this makes it diode #3 out of 4 thats blow right after shutting the bike off via sidestand switch.

Edit: False alarm! I'm an idiot. Guess i was just rushing too quick to get to class. The bike still works 5mos strong!

Last futzed with by k4m1k4z3k; January 27th, 2012 at 09:48 AM. Reason: I'm stupid.
k4m1k4z3k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2012, 11:02 AM   #22
quanttrom
ninjette.org member

Name: QUANT

Motorcycle(s): 250r

This seems quite peculiar.. There isn't anything obvious that jumps out.

Do you have access to an oscilloscope? Would you be able to check if the diode is subjected to operation beyond it's safe operating range?

Eg, higher current or higher reverse voltage than expected ?
quanttrom is offline   Reply With Quote